• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

UO - Call to Arms [Found on MMORPG.com - Cal's big annoucment- Magincia]

Martyna Zmuir

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Everything's black and white with you, hence you fail to comprehend what I've been saying.
And apparently, everything has to be a conflict, too. If someone disagrees with you, you lay into them like they've just kicked your puppy.

When the customer service has been this poor for this long it gets to the point where praise isn't going to matter. It’s plainly obvious that they (the Dev Team) think the job they are doing is satisfactory. Someone has to tell them it’s not. Sadly, very few people on here do.

Stratics is a microcosm of UO players, only the ones who care enough about UO actually post here. Even sadder, Stratics is about the only place the Devs even bother to post. They used to post on other boards, now notsomuch.

What’s even worse is the Stratics volunteer employees feel the need to insulate Mythic from criticism. Having been one, I know the drill.

Let me try and explain again, and then I'll step away until the next time you attack the general populous.

All the constant barrage of criticism does is to create an expectation of criticism, and thus reduces the criticism to mere noise. "Critical feedback" becomes "more criticism", and the message of what the criticism is about becomes lost.

In the same way, an eternally positive person providing more positive feedback could have the message of their feedback lost (although people are far more receptive to praise than they are to criticism, so they're more likely to pay attention to the details).

If you're really doing this for the good or the game, then you kind of shouldn't be sabotaging your own efforts.

We've tried the carrot and the stick approach. Over and over. I'm not going to ignore things they do wrong or soft-peddle the criticisms, nor should you. If they choose to ignore them and continue down the same rocky path of poor QA/CS, then eventually it won't matter anymore because they'll be out of a job. Do I want them fired? No. That wouldn't get any of us anywhere good. We've seen where the mass layoffs get us, several years in a row now. But, handing them a sugar cube while holding a whip behind our backs isn’t going to help either.

Pub 67 is a mess. The T-map update should have been an awesome addition to the game. But for the fact it was published before it was finished, its turned into more of a debacle. Supreem admitted to this in this thread, post 16: http://vboards.stratics.com/showthread.php?t=218624 Honestly, I was shocked that a) he posted at all b) he told the truth c) that he somehow thought that would 'make it better'. Was his post good customer service? Yes. Was the action that he posted about good customer service? No.

I have praised the Team for things done right. The EMs and Mesanna specifically, as they actually enjoy interfacing with their players and seeing them happy.

Malagaste (and some others) - You're kind of missing the point, and trying to make this something it's not.
All I'm saying is that you're lacking a decent approach. Flouncing about on the forums is way less effective on its target than it feels.

Or perhaps it is you who missed the point. More and more players have been showing dissatisfaction on the forums. More and more players feel the need to say something, some less nicely than others. Just because you feel differently won't change that fact. If you don't want to read it, don't.

We’re here because we love UO. We pancake because we love UO. It’s the people running UO we have a problem with, not the game/community itself.

T

Trebr Drab

Personally I think dueling arenas are good thing, and will attract more ppl to fel then take from Fel.

Why?

Trying to learn PvP is hard. You go to Fel where pretty much all are experienced players who will kill you before you realise what's going on your screen. Like someone stated, not everyone wants to join a big guild right away.

Dueling arenas will attract players that haven't PvP:d before, and they can get opponents who are on the same level as they. They get to learn basics of PvP on arena in safe environment. Ofc dueling is lot different from out doors fighting where you use terrain for you own benefit, pots apples etc. But basics you get at arena.

Now that they have learned basics they come and give a try in fel, and will prolly still die to experienced PvP:rs but are able to atleast put up a fight and they just might enjoy it, unlike the players who go fresh to Fel without any PvP experience and drop dead straight away.

Also if this offer a chance for factioneers to duel without statloss it's nice also.
Arena's won't do anything of the kind. They would have in pre-AoS UO, but not now with the heavy requirement for geared up characters and the unbalanced templates. All it's going to do now is show players how far away they are, and offer contests for those who want that.

WoW is the same way. They have that rock/paper/scissors thing going with classes and most players don't participate either in the battle grounds or the duels. Some run around challenging the class they know they are rock to scissors trying to get players who don't know about that yet, and teaching them what they didn't know, but mostly just running around making unanswered challenges.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Personally I think dueling arenas are good thing, and will attract more ppl to fel then take from Fel.

Why?

Trying to learn PvP is hard. You go to Fel where pretty much all are experienced players who will kill you before you realise what's going on your screen. Like someone stated, not everyone wants to join a big guild right away.

Dueling arenas will attract players that haven't PvP:d before, and they can get opponents who are on the same level as they. They get to learn basics of PvP on arena in safe environment. Ofc dueling is lot different from out doors fighting where you use terrain for you own benefit, pots apples etc. But basics you get at arena.

Now that they have learned basics they come and give a try in fel, and will prolly still die to experienced PvP:rs but are able to atleast put up a fight and they just might enjoy it, unlike the players who go fresh to Fel without any PvP experience and drop dead straight away.

Also if this offer a chance for factioneers to duel without statloss it's nice also.
Arena's won't do anything of the kind. They would have in pre-AoS UO, but not now with the heavy requirement for geared up characters and the unbalanced templates. All it's going to do now is show players how far away they are, and offer contests for those who want that.

WoW is the same way. They have that rock/paper/scissors thing going with classes and most players don't participate either in the battle grounds or the duels. Some run around challenging the class they know they are rock to scissors trying to get players who don't know about that yet, and teaching them what they didn't know, but mostly just running around making unanswered challenges.
First off Trebr.... you don't even know at all how they are going to function. So how can you criticize them over stuff you know nothing about yet?

Secondly I personally think they are a FANTASTIC addition. And I see them as a way to far more "safely" introduce folk who are skeptical and afraid to try PvP to give PvP a try in a far more controlled atmosphere.

Criticizing something before you have all the facts is rather foolish to say the least.

And honestly the problems with PvP currently run FAR deeper than who's got the best suit. There are more imbalances than just that.

But I feel Arena's will also allow folk to test technique and test skill against skill as well as tweak templates in a far more controlled environment. Allowing folk to practice and improve their skills as well as learn the ins and outs so to speak of their gear. Often folk don't realize just how much difference it makes between having all 70's vs say mostly 70's and one or two 50's.

While you are so quick to criticize I not only see this as an opportunity to bring folk together, but as an opportunity to really grow as a community.

Not only can folk go there to PvP but also to enjoy the action. I could see folk spending all day there watching folk spar. FAR more socially fun than watching folk stand about picking their arse at WBB or Luna Bank.

Not to mention to the opportunity for others to gather to do things such as... sell potions, sell repair deeds, offer drinks and meals, and generally Role-play have a good time send their beggar... and enjoy the fun.

T

Trebr Drab

Why?

First off Trebr.... you don't even know at all how they are going to function. So how can you criticize them over stuff you know nothing about yet?

Secondly I personally think they are a FANTASTIC addition. And I see them as a way to far more "safely" introduce folk who are skeptical and afraid to try PvP to give PvP a try in a far more controlled atmosphere.

Criticizing something before you have all the facts is rather foolish to say the least.

And honestly the problems with PvP currently run FAR deeper than who's got the best suit. There are more imbalances than just that.

But I feel Arena's will also allow folk to test technique and test skill against skill as well as tweak templates in a far more controlled environment. Allowing folk to practice and improve their skills as well as learn the ins and outs so to speak of their gear. Often folk don't realize just how much difference it makes between having all 70's vs say mostly 70's and one or two 50's.

While you are so quick to criticize I not only see this as an opportunity to bring folk together, but as an opportunity to really grow as a community.

Not only can folk go there to PvP but also to enjoy the action. I could see folk spending all day there watching folk spar. FAR more socially fun than watching folk stand about picking their arse at WBB or Luna Bank.

Not to mention to the opportunity for others to gather to do things such as... sell potions, sell repair deeds, offer drinks and meals, and generally Role-play have a good time send their beggar... and enjoy the fun.
This is an easy thing to see. I don't know why you can't see it. It's not even a prediction, it's a foregone conclusion.

You yourself mentioned the problems with gear, and with templates. Most players are not going to change their templates very much, and most are just going to say the hell with it when they realize how long it's going to take them to get geared up. No one enjoys being a level 45 going against level 60s, and even WoW went to battle grounds zoned by level groups. And that isn't close to what UO should be. (My opinion of course.)

The problems that came with the power gaps of templates, gear, and powerscrolls have been killing UO. Look at where we are today. Look at the loss of player vendors. Look at how UO is now compared to how it used to be. Yet, some of you will not accept that UO is indeed dieing. You will not accept what caused it. You say it's because UO is old, yet look at the numbers of games like Runescape and tell me that's a better game outside of the problems that should be very obvious to you.

Yet you will not see. I wish I could get you to see it, somehow. I know you love UO as much as I do. Why, why, why will you not see it for what it is? It's so damnable simple. The game is geared around powergaming now in gear and skills, it's gone too far, and that means that there will be winners and mostly losers based on powergaming, and that is not good for the majority, only the few.

If you start with 100, and lose 50, you now have 50 fighting over dominance and soon 25 more will leave, and on and on (just throwing out numbers for ease). Why can't you see this? Why haven't you seen this?

E

Evlar

This is an easy thing to see. I don't know why you can't see it. It's not even a prediction, it's a foregone conclusion.

You yourself mentioned the problems with gear, and with templates. Most players are not going to change their templates very much, and most are just going to say the hell with it when they realize how long it's going to take them to get geared up. No one enjoys being a level 45 going against level 60s, and even WoW went to battle grounds zoned by level groups. And that isn't close to what UO should be. (My opinion of course.)

The problems that came with the power gaps of templates, gear, and powerscrolls have been killing UO. Look at where we are today. Look at the loss of player vendors. Look at how UO is now compared to how it used to be. Yet, some of you will not accept that UO is indeed dieing. You will not accept what caused it. You say it's because UO is old, yet look at the numbers of games like Runescape and tell me that's a better game outside of the problems that should be very obvious to you.

Yet you will not see. I wish I could get you to see it, somehow. I know you love UO as much as I do. Why, why, why will you not see it for what it is? It's so damnable simple. The game is geared around powergaming now in gear and skills, it's gone too far, and that means that there will be winners and mostly losers based on powergaming, and that is not good for the majority, only the few.

If you start with 100, and lose 50, you now have 50 fighting over dominance and soon 25 more will leave, and on and on (just throwing out numbers for ease). Why can't you see this? Why haven't you seen this?
This is exactly what I refer to, when I've said in posts, that the game overall seemed to be more balanced prior to it becoming more item-centric since AoS.

Casing point being - as a miner "back in the day", I could hold my own as a miner/swordsman template, against pretty much any other template, though they were mainly PK/PvP orientated I was up against. On balance, I won as many encounters as I lost, because the game was based on the skills of the characters and the skills of the individual playing that character. I wasn't the best PvP'er out there, but neither was I the worst. Thing is, I stood a fair chance.

So, if I go mining in Fel today, even well suited up and with even a hybrid template... do I stand the same chances with my character? Not bloody likely. Even given the feeling that I'm probably a better PvP'er than I was "back in the day" because of experience, the iten-centric game, the addition of so many unbalanced skill sets, has thrown things completely out of whack.

And people ask why I prefer things the way they were. Simply put, because everyone had a chance to compete at any level or against any level. I'm not saying that the freshest noob should be able to instantly compete with the most battle hardened veteran, but there should at least be a chance they can compete. Even losing against the toughest foe is still fun, if you feel that for the odd moment or two, you just might have had the upper hand and maybe learned something.

*Bang* Dead

*Bang* Dead

*Bang* Dead

...yeah!

That's great fun, isn't it?

Give people the chance to feel they can compete, they will stay and keep trying. Make the gap between the lowest noob and the most powerful veteran too big, the noobs won't want to stay around for long and that's a fact.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
First of all...

You will NEVER get better if you can not grow and adapt.

Secondly if you constantly hold onto the old and can't embrace the new then you may as well give up.

Seriously.

The game is ever changing and ever evolving. This may come as a complete shock to you but many of us have long since adapted and would prefer not to keep going in the same old same old direction. We enjoy new things new experiences and new skills and additions.

I don't want to do the same old boring things day in day out for all eternity.

Seriously.

Secondly adding arena's in no way makes things horrible... first of all I'm pretty darn sure they will be voluntary... so you shouldn't get all bent out of shape if you aren't going to participate. No need to get all upset about something you won't need to participate in.

Honestly I see them as another very good idea that really is long overdue.

Finally most of the things you mention holding you back are because YOU hold yourself back by not adapting to change.

The only problems lately with PvP imbalances are this...
Faction items and faction gear adding bonus's that the "average" player can not achieve... do imbalance things.

Hacking and cheating are rampant.

Not all templates are created equal... and some are better than others at figuring that out. Unwillingness to adapt is your own problem not everyone else's...

EVERY template has strengths and weakness's it's up to you to know what those are... it's called Tactics and Strategy if you lack those you might want to work on them.

And finally I'm absolutely fed up with everyone telling me how darned wonderful it was "back in the day"... ok yes it was mindlessly simple to put together a suit and go out and hack things up... HOWEVER things were not as balanced as you think they were... Massive PK gank Squads STILL EXISTED THEN AS THEY DO TODAY... Hacks, cheats and that also still existed then as they do today... People always had better gear and better weapons than others... the time wasn't perfect... and you had people stealing everything you had... after spending 8 or more hours working at things someone was always quick to take it all away. Not exactly what I call paradise. I haven't forgotten that. You still had large groups of Reds who would gank you the second you stuck your head out of town.... not exactly what I call a good time... nor is that good skill nor is that good PvP and I don't know about you but I don't care what your skills are what your suit or tactics or gear does but 25 to one you can kiss your Arse goodbye no matter what. I'm sorry if I don't share your sentiment or love of those days... I don't.

I don't share any love of working hard to train up my 7x WW just to have something kill it in 20 seconds and me to lose it forever. NO sorry but that never appealed to me then and it still doesn't appeal to me now.

Like to see you replace that "gear" in just a trip to the smiths..... nope sorry not going to happen.

I think most of you who miss those times miss the community.... WHICH was Much larger back then. We all had a bunch more friends... guildmates and comrades. Something most all of us are lacking now.

And if you ask me one of the biggest things missing of late... is common courtesy and common sense as well as a bit of compassion. Seems to me the game has gone from a MMORPG to something more along the lines of a What's In It For Me I Pay So I Deserve Everything Everyone Else Has Handed To Me On A Silver Platter Because I'm Too Lazy Too Actually Play Give It To Me Now, Game!

And I'm totally disgusted by the constant whining about stuff at every event, after every publish and after every update.

You can't even hardly hold a decent community event anymore because everyone who comes expects you to drop 30 mill per person on them or they just don't have a good time... People are so concerned about just getting stuff or how much crap is worth that no one gives a hoot about the actual point of the game which hello..... Is to have FUN... Isn't that why we all play?

If it's not fun what are you doing paying for it? If your just in the game out to make a buck then I sure wish you'd go somewhere else... and if the game isn't fun for you unless you make everyone around you miserable then please find another game and a good therapist.

I play to have fun... and to role-play. Perhaps all you who are complaining should take a good hard look at why you pay to play this game and go from there.

And then finally and certainly this is not the last time I'll say this... If you can't offer anything but complains shut up. One thing is for sure... criticism is fine... and all but it helps more than anything to not only offer constructive criticism but good helpful hints and suggestions to IMPROVE things. If all you do is put things down and you don't offer solutions or advise then perhaps your in need of therapy more than I am.

Now. If it's not affecting you... ie if the addition of an Arena isn't your "cup of tea" ...... don't be so quick to criticize it. Honestly if it's not your thing then clam up. Don't participate... no one will make you. As for those of us who are looking forward to it... be sure to test it on Test Center when it becomes available and offer advice and be sure to report anything and everything you think needs fixed.

Too often folk are quick to put something down without testing it or without trying to help improve it. This is our game... and as a community we should speak up if things are NOT right... we should also speak up when the ARE... giving the DEV's an Idea on what we do and do not like. If you sit there and do nothing then the state of the game is as much your fault as it is the DEV's and EA's.

T

Trebr Drab

I didn't put down arenas. I simply said they will do nothing to get players more into PvP, (outside of those arenas should be added here.)
But ya know, MalagAste, you know I like you, but you are looking through blinders in all this.
You are a powergamer. You spend loads of time in UO. You have built not just one character, but many. You've taken over accounts of friends who left. You are an elite UO player.
Most players are not like you.

The consequences to UO are obvious.
1) PvP is heavily in favor of groups of powergamers who are in tuned with UO completely, know what templates to run, and all the intricacies of running those templates, and also have all the leet gear to match. Everyone else is canon fodder. And players don't want to be canon fodder for other players.
PvP has become way to complex for the average player.
2) Trade skills are all but dead to anyone who's not a powergamer in that "arena". Players can't sell enough to keep up with the prices that have become way over the top because the few have so much money. It's a senseless effort. As a result, you've seen it, there are almost no vendors outside of Luna anymore. Almost every other house in UO used to have vendors, but now there are many areas where you can go a long ways before you find a vendor that has anything on it. If these players didn't own houses, if there was no Veterans Rewards, they probably would be completely gone from UO, because you sure don't see any activity at their houses nor do you see many of them playing anywhere.
Runics and what it took to get them was way too difficult for most players, and you still had the problem of overpowered arties and the rare powerful things that only heavy powergamers could get in enough quantity to fill out characters. Imbuing is very difficult and isn't much better. It all leaves the heavy powergamers dominating the game, and most players are simply not going to like constantly being second class citizens.
3) Events, those special MOBs that drop those special things that everyone wants. And the average gamer can't hardly get looting rights when the heavy powergamers show up with their leet gear and special templates that the average gamer doesn't even comprehend.

You say UO has to grow. I say, that's true, but it didn't have to grow this way. It could have and can grow in other ways that don't play into the heavy powergamer's hands and leave everyone else behind.

You make the accusation that I and others are stuck in the past, that we can't adapt. Bull! We are not able to because the game is geared so much to you powergamers. Well, you are winning UO. Congrats. Look where UO is. Thanks a freakin' lots.

E

Evlar

First of all...

You will NEVER get better if you can not grow and adapt.

Secondly if you constantly hold onto the old and can't embrace the new then you may as well give up.

Seriously.
Check. Paid and played for 11 years. Not currently playing.

Seriously.

The game is ever changing and ever evolving. This may come as a complete shock to you but many of us have long since adapted and would prefer not to keep going in the same old same old direction. We enjoy new things new experiences and new skills and additions.
Cool, but likewise some of us don't want to be taken in directions the game really didn't have to go, without an alternative option, or opportunity for our concerns to be actually taken on board.

I don't want to do the same old boring things day in day out for all eternity.

Seriously.
Aren't you one of the same people who's often heard to utter that the game is what you make it?

If you're happy with the "new", whilst at the same time, the "old" (that's even in the current game) gets forgotten and left behind, then I suppose that's fine too, right?

Secondly adding arena's in no way makes things horrible... first of all I'm pretty darn sure they will be voluntary... so you shouldn't get all bent out of shape if you aren't going to participate. No need to get all upset about something you won't need to participate in.

Honestly I see them as another very good idea that really is long overdue.
Nothing I disagree with there.

Finally most of the things you mention holding you back are because YOU hold yourself back by not adapting to change.
Repeating your opening sentiment there again, but if "change" turns a game into something completely different to what it was, is that always a good thing? Obviously open to debate and personal interpretation of course.

The only problems lately with PvP imbalances are this...
Faction items and faction gear adding bonus's that the "average" player can not achieve... do imbalance things.
Bingo! Oh, plus the factions system has never worked properly...

Hacking and cheating are rampant.
Always has been on one level or another.

Not all templates are created equal... and some are better than others at figuring that out. Unwillingness to adapt is your own problem not everyone else's...

EVERY template has strengths and weakness's it's up to you to know what those are... it's called Tactics and Strategy if you lack those you might want to work on them.
There always have been template differences. No problem here with that, nor the strengths and weakness' of each option.

My issue is with skill (yes and tactics and strategy) based game play, versus ITEM based game play. The two are poles apart. Arguably, the item based game play, removes much of the skill, the tactics and the strategy and replaces it with nothing more than numbers. If your suit and your items are numerically superior, your chances are so much higher that you'll win. How then, is that more balanced?

And finally I'm absolutely fed up with everyone telling me how darned wonderful it was "back in the day"... ok yes it was mindlessly simple to put together a suit and go out and hack things up... HOWEVER things were not as balanced as you think they were... Massive PK gank Squads STILL EXISTED THEN AS THEY DO TODAY... Hacks, cheats and that also still existed then as they do today... People always had better gear and better weapons than others... the time wasn't perfect... and you had people stealing everything you had... after spending 8 or more hours working at things someone was always quick to take it all away. Not exactly what I call paradise. I haven't forgotten that. You still had large groups of Reds who would gank you the second you stuck your head out of town.... not exactly what I call a good time... nor is that good skill nor is that good PvP and I don't know about you but I don't care what your skills are what your suit or tactics or gear does but 25 to one you can kiss your Arse goodbye no matter what. I'm sorry if I don't share your sentiment or love of those days... I don't.

I don't share any love of working hard to train up my 7x WW just to have something kill it in 20 seconds and me to lose it forever. NO sorry but that never appealed to me then and it still doesn't appeal to me now.

Like to see you replace that "gear" in just a trip to the smiths..... nope sorry not going to happen.
See, let's turn things around here. Sounds to me like you couldn't "adapt" to things the way they were back then. You clearly weren't happy, but how are you any more "right" about adapting to things now, as opposed to those who aren't happy? See my point? Probably not... you have what you want now...

Also, you play Great Lakes and so did I back then. I didn't suffer as greatly as you seem to. I wasn't a red PK (except in occational RP activity amongst friends), most of my game play was non-PvP, but I did adapt to the environment the game was based in and enjoyed the thrill and the challenge much more.

I'll not say that everything was peachy back then, nor was the game "perfect" by any stretch, but in my opinion it was a much stronger and better game back then, certainly before AoS and irrespective of Renaissance, which didn't make a whole deal of difference to me personally, apart from splitting up groups of players I spent time with, which was the biggest downside.

I think most of you who miss those times miss the community.... WHICH was Much larger back then. We all had a bunch more friends... guildmates and comrades. Something most all of us are lacking now.
I think anyone on any side of the fence, or even sat on the fence, will agree they miss the numbers of players back then.

And if you ask me one of the biggest things missing of late... is common courtesy and common sense as well as a bit of compassion. Seems to me the game has gone from a MMORPG to something more along the lines of a What's In It For Me I Pay So I Deserve Everything Everyone Else Has Handed To Me On A Silver Platter Because I'm Too Lazy Too Actually Play Give It To Me Now, Game!

And I'm totally disgusted by the constant whining about stuff at every event, after every publish and after every update.

You can't even hardly hold a decent community event anymore because everyone who comes expects you to drop 30 mill per person on them or they just don't have a good time... People are so concerned about just getting stuff or how much crap is worth that no one gives a hoot about the actual point of the game which hello..... Is to have FUN... Isn't that why we all play?

If it's not fun what are you doing paying for it? If your just in the game out to make a buck then I sure wish you'd go somewhere else... and if the game isn't fun for you unless you make everyone around you miserable then please find another game and a good therapist.
Nope, can't find any argument here. For me, many points you raised are the fault of item-centric game play, which arguably created both "need" and "greed".

Ever considered though, that those that didn't whine and got on with playing the game, well, there aren't many of us playing the game any more? Did the whiners win?

As for the "me,me,me's", I always thought they were better off sticking to single player games. Making a buck? Never entered my head, I always just wanted to play a game. Making others miserable? Nope, I always tried to help people, but I know what you mean. Still, in some respects, a response to one groups chosen style of game play, might not be another's cup of tea. Neither are right or wrong, they just enjoy different aspects of the game.

In that respect, it's a bit like the anti-PvP crowd or the anti-trammie crowd. The problems only arise when they're both forced upon one another. I understood the reasons for the facet split, but not the methodology used. I believe there were better options.

I play to have fun... and to role-play. Perhaps all you who are complaining should take a good hard look at why you pay to play this game and go from there.

And then finally and certainly this is not the last time I'll say this... If you can't offer anything but complains shut up. One thing is for sure... criticism is fine... and all but it helps more than anything to not only offer constructive criticism but good helpful hints and suggestions to IMPROVE things. If all you do is put things down and you don't offer solutions or advise then perhaps your in need of therapy more than I am.
I agree that constructive criticism is the best form of criticism. But how long, when it seems that those in charge aren't listening, is one expected to remain as constructive as I'm sure they want to be.

Personally, when that point is reached, I would (and did) vote with my wallet.

Now. If it's not affecting you... ie if the addition of an Arena isn't your "cup of tea" ...... don't be so quick to criticize it. Honestly if it's not your thing then clam up. Don't participate... no one will make you. As for those of us who are looking forward to it... be sure to test it on Test Center when it becomes available and offer advice and be sure to report anything and everything you think needs fixed.

Too often folk are quick to put something down without testing it or without trying to help improve it. This is our game... and as a community we should speak up if things are NOT right... we should also speak up when the ARE... giving the DEV's an Idea on what we do and do not like. If you sit there and do nothing then the state of the game is as much your fault as it is the DEV's and EA's.
Agree with this too.

In some respects your first paragraph echo's my own sentiment, when it comes to the "classic" option. If it doesn't affect the game play of your production shards and you have the choice not to participate on a "classic" shard, were they to happen, then what is the problem? The only fair argument that has been raised by those "against", is the matter of development time and resources. Personally, I'm not too blinkered to understand that argument.

The last paragraph too, I agree with the sentiment. I have to wonder though, that it's a shame that some of the silent majority, who preferred to just play the game, didn't have much of a chance to speak up when various changes were made. Once made, it was always too late. Nothing that many consider to have "failed", ever seems to have been reversed or changed really. Once it's done, it's done.

Here's the final straw reason why I quit the game MalagAste. I simply got bored that all players seemed to want to talk about, was items, or item properties, or whatever... relating to items. Not how to get them, the fun or challenge of getting them, the strategies of beating foes that have them, or even the pride of having them.

I also feel that since item properties are so readily on display, the game has lost its "mystique", now everyone knows pretty much, what's under the hood. That really should never have been "exposed" in my opinion.

D

Death Adder

HOWEVER things were not as balanced as you think they were... Massive PK gank Squads STILL EXISTED THEN AS THEY DO TODAY...
I disagree with this... pre-AoS a solo player could actually fight gankers by wearing better equipment. My favorite period of the game was when I was one of the most feared characters on Siege because I never went out without a power/vanq sword and fort/invul platemail, allowing me to defeat ganks of 4+. Sure, I lost a lot of good weapons/armor but I never minded farming for more, nor did I mind stocking up on potions, trapped pouches, bandies and regs every time I died, which differentiated me from most PvPers and especially most gankers. That is completely impossible today (unless the 4 are total *******) because of insurance allowing everyone to always wear their best suit. I'm a highly skilled PvPer and have the best armor in the game (seriously, there is no dexxer armor out there superior to mine as I wear a 200+ million gold wood suit, if anyone doubts it you can try to show me a better one) but I have trouble against even 2 other players in the modern game, even if they lack teamwork just because of relative armor parity.

Count me as one anxiously hoping/waiting for a classic shard :)

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I disagree with this... pre-AoS a solo player could actually fight gankers by wearing better equipment. My favorite period of the game was when I was one of the most feared characters on Siege because I never went out without a power/vanq sword and fort/invul platemail, allowing me to defeat ganks of 4+. Sure, I lost a lot of good weapons/armor but I never minded farming for more, nor did I mind stocking up on potions, trapped pouches, bandies and regs every time I died, which differentiated me from most PvPers and especially most gankers. That is completely impossible today (unless the 4 are total *******) because of insurance allowing everyone to always wear their best suit. I'm a highly skilled PvPer and have the best armor in the game (seriously, there is no dexxer armor out there superior to mine as I wear a 200+ million gold wood suit, if anyone doubts it you can try to show me a better one) but I have trouble against even 2 other players in the modern game, even if they lack teamwork just because of relative armor parity.
This is an interesting post. Let's break down what is actually being stated here. First he's saying that back in the old days he could defeat gank squads of 4+ players, because he wasn't afraid to wear great gear, now thse days he has trouble against even two players because of "relative armor parity".

First off, this puts the lie to all those who say that UO was less "itemized" back then. It certainly was, they were just different items, and you could lose them, whereas you can't now. But if you were in a position where getting a steady supply of really good items wasn't a problem for you, and you weren't afraid of losing them, you could dominate in pvp.

What this tells me is something I've known all along. There was a much bigger disparity between the haves and have nots back then than there is now. Or maybe I should say, there were far fewer "haves" back then than there are now, so the numbers of "haves" relative to the numbers of "have nots" was much lower then.

I don't know about anyone else, but as someone who loves pvp, I don't see that as a good thing. And yes, I was there, and back then I was one of the "have nots" I can confirm that Death Adder's memory isn't faulty.

This isn't an anti-classic shard post. I hope that the devs do create a classic shard, and I hope it is so successful that they are forced to create more than one. But anyone who thinks that it is truly going to be like the "good old days" is dreaming. You truly "can't go back" and those days will never be recreated.

And that will be both a bad, and a good thing.

T

Trebr Drab

I disagree with this... pre-AoS a solo player could actually fight gankers by wearing better equipment. My favorite period of the game was when I was one of the most feared characters on Siege because I never went out without a power/vanq sword and fort/invul platemail, allowing me to defeat ganks of 4+.
Sure, I lost a lot of good weapons/armor
but I never minded farming for more, nor did I mind stocking up on potions, trapped pouches, bandies and regs every time I died, which differentiated me from most PvPers and especially most gankers. That is completely impossible today (unless the 4 are total *******) because of insurance allowing everyone to always wear their best suit. I'm a highly skilled PvPer and have the best armor in the game (seriously, there is no dexxer armor out there superior to mine as I wear a 200+ million gold wood suit, if anyone doubts it you can try to show me a better one) but I have trouble against even 2 other players in the modern game, even if they lack teamwork just because of relative armor parity.
This is an interesting post. Let's break down what is actually being stated here. First he's saying that back in the old days he could defeat gank squads of 4+ players, because he wasn't afraid to wear great gear, now thse days he has trouble against even two players because of "relative armor parity".

First off, this puts the lie to all those who say that UO was less "itemized" back then. It certainly was, they were just different items, and you could lose them, whereas you can't now. But if you were in a position where getting a steady supply of really good items wasn't a problem for you, and you weren't afraid of losing them, you could dominate in pvp.

What this tells me is something I've known all along. There was a much bigger disparity between the haves and have nots back then than there is now. Or maybe I should say, there were far fewer "haves" back then than there are now, so the numbers of "haves" relative to the numbers of "have nots" was much lower then.

I don't know about anyone else, but as someone who loves pvp, I don't see that as a good thing. And yes, I was there, and back then I was one of the "have nots" I can confirm that Death Adder's memory isn't faulty.

This isn't an anti-classic shard post. I hope that the devs do create a classic shard, and I hope it is so successful that they are forced to create more than one. But anyone who thinks that it is truly going to be like the "good old days" is dreaming. You truly "can't go back" and those days will never be recreated.

And that will be both a bad, and a good thing.

Sure, I lost a lot of good weapons/armor
So that equals a "much bigger disparity between the haves and have nots back then than there is now."
And the point I'm making isn't about insurance, it's the fact that he lost battle even though he had the gear.
Now, that may be the same these days, since PvP has different results that PvM. But it takes PvM or trade skills and lots and lots of time and effort to get that gear. And that's why the Powergamers are dominating UO, and that's why UO has been losing players.

E

Evlar

I think you're trying to read too much into Death Adder's post there Llewen.

Clearly he was a skilled (template and his gaming ability) PvP'er, who didn't mind the risk of losing items, because he didn't feel it necessary to regard them with as great a value. Especially if he was comfortable with facing more than one foe at any given time, alone.

This is something added to with the comparison between then and now, where he mentions a a "200+ million gold wood suit" and struggling against just two other players, alone.

Now to me, that suggests that the items have an overbearing impact, rather than any equality, versus the skills of the player behind the screen, or the skills of their character. It doesn't suggest that items were more important back then, than they are now, at all. Indeed, quite the opposite.

Clearly there were important and "better" items, but the risk of losing them gave people pause for thought. Overall, they weren't overbearingly better items than those that could be crafted. Again, player and template skill decided the winners more often than not.

I would be quite interested, because I'm sure he had the experience, to hear Death Adder confirm that on occasion, he lost to players who were'nt better kitted out, just better skilled in a particular encounter, from time to time, than perhaps he was.

Either way, it's apparent to me that Death Adder indeed added something to the game, because he built a reputation for himself with other players. Undoubtedly, he added a challenge that no AI monster or "boss" could create, which presented a challenge for other players, to bring him down. I'm sure it was an enjoyable challenge for him to, going by his post. Such a reputation amongst other players, is something I've not seen for far too long.

HD2300

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So that equals a "much bigger disparity between the haves and have nots back then than there is now."
And the point I'm making isn't about insurance, it's the fact that he lost battle even though he had the gear.
Now, that may be the same these days, since PvP has different results that PvM. But it takes PvM or trade skills and lots and lots of time and effort to get that gear. And that's why the Powergamers are dominating UO, and that's why UO has been losing players.
It is far easier and cheaper to build a uber suit now, with faction arties, higher doom arty drops, and of course imbuing. No question. So there is less disparity between the haves and have nots in terms of gear.

However I agree that Powergamers have been dominating UO, and that's why UO has been losing players. RMT is the cause, but that is a discussion for another thread.

Lord Chaos

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The Arena combat will be useless if you lose durability of your weapons and armor there.

D

Death Adder

I would be quite interested, because I'm sure he had the experience, to hear Death Adder confirm that on occasion, he lost to players who were'nt better kitted out, just better skilled in a particular encounter, from time to time, than perhaps he was.
IIRC I lost only 3 1v1s prior to the introduction of runic hammers (at which point a player named Pikachu acquired a valorite runic and was able to craft 3-week-blessed shortspears with it, which basically gave us parity -- his valorite spear vs. my invul platemail, and my vanq broadsword vs. his GM studded. Goodness what epic battles we waged...). All 3 instances were to mages in GM leather who were known to be amongst the best on the shard -- there was very little a single dexxer could do to me unless they were also weilding a vanq weapon, nor could your average mage or two (I ran a poison swordsman with magery). Most 1v1s were about them running and me pursuing (and I was a relentless pursuer equipped with teleport rings and tracking so I very rarely lost a target). My preferred style of gameplay has always been solo vs. the gank. I was able to keep up this style of play for a couple years after AoS (until a bit after the Bushido/Ninjitsu expansion) by staying a couple steps ahead of folks in terms of templates and equipment, but it hasn't really been feasible for the last few years (leading me to quit for a couple years; I'm only back now on a limited basis because my 9-year old son has fallen for the game).

For Siege old timers my swordsman was William X, and post-AoS I also acquired a solid rep with my necro-swordsman Scourge.

D

Death Adder

Why on earth would I want to go greatly damage my gear just to fight some player?

It could be fun enough to try some PvP, but not that way.
Ha ha... I, in turn, keep my prized wood suit locked up for PvP only, and do monsters in an inferior (though still awesome) leather suit :)

Anyway, I do think monsters cause a LOT more durability damage than an occasional PvP bout.

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I am interested to know how insurance and gold from kills will fit into the arena "gladiator" or dueling system. Will folks be lootable?

It would be great if those dueling could agree to terms before the battle. Such as a newbie not paying gold upon death or loosing insurance so they can learn to PvP. If this is in the "contract" before engaging then I think this would be good. If you are not in the duel, then you cannot cause harm to those engaged while standing in the arena.

I'm sure they have these mechanics already figured out... I'm just waiting to hear how they implemented the system in the game.

-OBSIDIAN-

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
The Arena combat will be useless if you lose durability of your weapons and armor there.
Why on earth would I want to go greatly damage my gear just to fight some player?

It could be fun enough to try some PvP, but not that way.
Ummm, lots of people do it all the time, at Yew gate. This is another, "Please make the game easier" post. Durability loss is fine. I very much doubt the arenas are going to be filled with slimes and acid slugs...

T

Trebr Drab

It is far easier and cheaper to build a uber suit now, with faction arties, higher doom arty drops, and of course imbuing. No question. So there is less disparity between the haves and have nots in terms of gear.
For established, powergaming (but not necessarily heavy powergaming) players that's probably true. But think about it. A 200 million gold suit. I don't think I've made that much in all my time of almost 12 years of combined UO play. But I'm not a powergamer, I play for the lore and roleplay. How many other gamers don't powergame like that either? I'd say most.
I'm not sure about Imbuing. I'm still only at around 65. There are other things I want to do in UO besides camp for good items to unravel. I find some time for that, but it's getting harder and harder to get skill points.
Those of you established for a long time had the gems. I lost mine in a house decay. Newer and younger players don't have chest fulls of gems either. So these people have to spend a lot of gold to get the gems they needs, plus there's the special ingredients.

Note, I'm only using myself as an example in these topics. I'm not complaining about me. I'm complaining about UO losing players because of these things.

Note also that most UO players that actively play UO these days are powergamers who are very well established in UO. Sure, not all, I'm saying most. For you types, you have the arties, you have the gold, you have the other items, you have the powerscrolls. And you can get stuff a hell of a lot faster than players like me or newer players, or especially brand new players that UO and we all hope to see come play UO.

An example. It takes me a little effort to kill a Bane chosen. But I've seen the special templates that can take them out in quantities. I saw one, a warrior, that I know well. A powergamed character of "elite" status. He was taking them out as groups using sweeping attacks that killed the entire batch of 6 or so Bane surrounding him in 2 or 3 swings, sucking hit points with an imbued weapon that was top end. Rinse and repeated again and again.
You see, because I or other players are not powergamed and established, I/we don't have the same options. It's not nearly as easy for the rest of us. And "the rest of us" have been becoming a smaller and smaller number over time.

In a nut shell, it's a hell of a lot easier for established powergamers and heavy powergamers to "get there" than it is for anyone else. And this is leaving other players so far behind that they are giving up on UO.

A little story. I was playing WoW, I had a level 40ish, my best character. I was in Ironforge, where a lot of other players were. I met another player about the same level, and we decided to get a group together for a dungeon designed for our level. I put out a "LFG to do xxx". No one responded, I tried again. Pretty soon the other guy sent a tell to me..."lol, we're not going to get a group". I sent back "why not?". He replied "look at them all, they're all level 60."
This is a common problem in MMOs. It's the same basic problem with what UO has done. The biggest difference is that it fits in a game like WoW, where you are zoned and puppeteered through the game. It doesn't fit at all in a sandbox world like UO's.

However I agree that Powergamers have been dominating UO, and that's why UO has been losing players. RMT is the cause, but that is a discussion for another thread.
RMT is a big factor too. That just feeds into the other problems, and feeds off of them too.

Alvinho

Great Lakes Forever!
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ah, assumptions abound.

Quote:
I pancake because I care about UO, I've played it for 13 years. It saddens me to see it consistently go downhill.

So blindly wave your pom-poms all you want. Please, continue to enjoy a level of service that is far below what even a F2P MMO player receives. Don't mind the smoke, since for you Rome isn't burning...
lol you just quoted yourself and slamed yourself, Bipolar much? I now understand why you were fired/quit as teh shards one sided reporter

C

canary

lol you just quoted yourself and slamed yourself, Bipolar much? I now understand why you were fired/quit as teh shards one sided reporter
You may not like the way people HANDLE the game but you can enjoy the game itself.

Many things endear me to UO (Mesanna, RP, the EM events, most of the players I associate with on the shard), but many other things infuriate me regarding it (UO's tragic communication as a whole, bad customer support, its graphics engine, a ton of 1/2 way done stuff thats not finished, things like Supreem intentionally releasing broken content). You see... I do love UO. Very much so. But sometimes when you see something you enjoy being mishandled or mismanaged I do think you have every right, as a paying customer, to call people to task for not providing good service.

What they do is no different than the concert I go see, the food I order, the cable that provides my TV service or the book I just bought. It is a paid service and, if the customer is unhappy, then undeniably YES they should complain. And loudly, if need be.

edit: I recently went to a fast food restaurant at their drive thru. I placed an order for three items. When I checked it, I discovered they packaged the wrong items. Now, this happens to be almost every third or fourth time I go there, without fault. Seeing as I have already let this 'slide' in the past, I wished to correct it, as a customer. I wrote their company and explained they ongoing issue. I received a very nice letter soon afterwards stating they were sorry and the steps they were taking with the franchise in order to ensure this would not happen again. Two weeks later I received an email follow up which mentioned what happened in regards to follow up, if I had any further issues, and to not hesitate to contact them for any reason.

THAT is good customer support. We here have a tendency to hear silence, which is NOT good customer support.

S

SimpleZen

Getting back to the main topic, when will the Call to Arms promotion be updated on the uoherald and in game? I've heard several people are not able to claim their new player token even though the price drop now appears correctly, so I'm making sure Bioware Mythic is aware of the ongoing issue. Apparently there is a message people are getting that new players can not claim promo items/gifts. Please let us know when it will be fixed, or how to correct the issue.

Thank you

Surgeries

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Everything's black and white with you, hence you fail to comprehend what I've been saying.
And apparently, everything has to be a conflict, too. If someone disagrees with you, you lay into them like they've just kicked your puppy.

Let me try and explain again, and then I'll step away until the next time you attack the general populous.
All the constant barrage of criticism does is to create an expectation of criticism, and thus reduces the criticism to mere noise. "Critical feedback" becomes "more criticism", and the message of what the criticism is about becomes lost.
In the same way, an eternally positive person providing more positive feedback could have the message of their feedback lost (although people are far more receptive to praise than they are to criticism, so they're more likely to pay attention to the details).
If you're really doing this for the good or the game, then you kind of shouldn't be sabotaging your own efforts.

Malagaste (and some others) - You're kind of missing the point, and trying to make this something it's not.
All I'm saying is that you're lacking a decent approach. Flouncing about on the forums is way less effective on its target than it feels.
This is very well stated, in my opinion.

Flies with Honey principle...

I do not believe that everything passed along to EA/Mythic should be all praise , nor should it be only contempt or complaints.

As Kiminality succinctly states, it must be balanced, and it must be constructive, at the least.

It can certainly, and should certainly, contain valid complaints, and it is a reasonable expectation by paying customers that those complaints get heeded, and in the cases possible, acted upon in a timely manner.

But no one goes to work to get verbally lambasted, no matter how poor their work. It serves no real purpose, other than letting the lambaster vent their frustrations, in my opinion. It is a very negative activity to simply complain in great detail. Offering possible solutions...empathizing...all part of good communications, and as Kiminality states, it definitely goes both ways.

Again, well said.

:thumbup1:

S

SimpleZen

If this argument is going to continue regarding criticism and people's approach, can you please take it to another thread specifically about that criticism? This thread is about the Call to Arms promotion, and it would help people looking for an update if the conversation stayed on topic. This is a promotion to UO that can do the game some good if any issues and details concerning Call to Arms can be addressed. I don't see that happening if the posts directly related to the promotion are buried in pages of personal quote wars.

Martyna Zmuir

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ah, assumptions abound.

Quote:
I pancake because I care about UO, I've played it for 13 years. It saddens me to see it consistently go downhill.

So blindly wave your pom-poms all you want. Please, continue to enjoy a level of service that is far below what even a F2P MMO player receives. Don't mind the smoke, since for you Rome isn't burning...

Kindly remove your head from your nethers so you may try to explain your ***hattery.

I quit as reporter because certain Stratics mods are hypocritically overzealous and have a distinct love of censorship of things they don't agree with.

E

Evlar

If this argument is going to continue regarding criticism and people's approach, can you please take it to another thread specifically about that criticism? This thread is about the Call to Arms promotion, and it would help people looking for an update if the conversation stayed on topic. This is a promotion to UO that can do the game some good if any issues and details concerning Call to Arms can be addressed. I don't see that happening if the posts directly related to the promotion are buried in pages of personal quote wars.

Welcome to Stratics. :thumbup1:

Here's a gift to welcome you...

...they'll help you see through the crap, to read what's actually important. :)

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
*sighs* Chill my UO friends.

Nok

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*really wishes the Mark Forum Read function was working in FF at this point in this topic*

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Consensual PvP in Trammel is really something that will enhance the player experience. And I don't mean only arenas, i.e. places where you go to PvP, but also the possibility to challenge another player for a duel anywhere in Trammel. This wouldn't only add a lot to role playing without the hassle of guild wars, but it also would make tournaments a lot more easier.

Keep going Cal!

S

SimpleZen

I would also like to confirm if new players on the free trial get the 'new player token' advertised by this promotion? I don't understand why they wouldn't if they purchase the full Stygian Abyss, but it was stated "Players creating new (non-trial) accounts will receive the token...". Is that saying that you can't get the token on any account that has taken advantage of the free trial, or was it supposed to mean new characters? I saw the Advanced Token requires under 200 skill points and wondering if it's the same idea.

Thanks

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Well said and nicely put

S

SimpleZen

I think you guys scared off the GMs lol :sad3: Has anyone else been able to receive the new token promo item for a new account and SA purchase? Still no word on the main website or forums that it even exists.

WootSauce

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Whoa thread necromancy...

In all seriousness, does anyone know if this new player / call to arms program is still in effect? Can one still open an account and get the new player token?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
P.S ... And don't worry about Magincia ... we are staying true to the intent and nature of the city.

While you are at it, could you please plan an area reserved for (hopefully), future creation of city markets with player vendors ?

I am still dreaming to see Ultima Online's cities thrive with players' life as they used to, back in the days but in order to have players go back into UO towns there got to be reasons for players to go there.....

And there comes into play the creation of towns with areas reserved as markets were players can set up player vendors.

Of course, in order to have all towns be visited by players and not just one or two (like it happens with Luna....), the markets in the various towns could be organized by "themes", like for example Magincia only capable of hosting vendors that sell spelcasting goods and equipment, Trinsic with a market set up for warriors wares, Vesper for fishermen and seafarers and so forth. This way, shoppers will need to walk all towns and their respective markets when looking for the various goods they may need....

I am not suggesting to make all this available for the rebuilding of Magincia, it would take too much time to think, design and code it, I am just saying since you are working on the "New" Magincia leave an area unused so that in the future, if ever you come up with something like town markets, you will have the space already there, at least for Magincia....

Oh well, just a though......

Haddy G

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Whoa thread necromancy...

In all seriousness, does anyone know if this new player / call to arms program is still in effect? Can one still open an account and get the new player token?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks
I'm sure the call to arms is over, but you can get a new player token by opening a new SA account. I believe it's on sale at EA games for around 10 bucks.

WootSauce

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Can anyone - Dev, Mod or otherwise, point me to a place that shows the end date on the call to arms program, and the new player token? Help is appreciated.

Thanks.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wow can you go and resurrect an older post?