• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Imbuing] Unraveling for Enchanted Essence and Magical Residue

Pirate Roberts

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I craft hammers out of dull copper and go to the queens forge, each hammer gives 3 Magical Residue

What can I craft to unravel for Enchanted Essence?

Percivalgoh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Most people just hunt and unravel the loot for essence. It's been a long time since someone asked this question, gosh I can barely recall something like shadow daggers or oak bows...????? What skills have you got?

Tuan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Maybe using a dull copper hammer to make daggers with gold ingots? If you're getting 3 residue, then that item should be pretty close to giving 1 essence when unraveled... Maybe you can use a normal hammer, and reforge with dull copper, maybe you need powerful? So maybe 2 DC charges = 1 essence, but this seems now like more effort than just going and killing a few things and loot all, then unravel the bag into a mix of residue/essence/few relics.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Personally, I'd just do level 1 & 2 T-maps and unravel most of the loot. That way, you'll get some money, some special imbuing ingredients, and the occasional item worth imbuing. The advantage of T-maps over looting kills is that usually you don't have to worry about respawns while looting, and the spawn is relatively easy.

Percivalgoh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
well, think you can experiment a bit but if you make stuff using runic hammers and unravel it you will get essence. The higher the runic the more essence and the better the base metal the more. I just did a little experiment and used a dull copper runic and a copper runic making daggers shadow or valorite metal. The valorite daggers made with a copper runic yeilded 4 essence with a dull copper one. Shadow metal gave 1 and 2 essence. So I guess figure out what resources you have and use them or go hunt. I haven't been there in a while but Shame used to be really good for essence and the occaisonal relic.

Tuan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
One thing I am sure of, valorite ingots are a lot harder to come by than misc items from looting kills... Plus copper hammers have other, shall we say more important, uses. So using a copper hammer + val ingots is, IMO, not an efficient use of resources.

Percivalgoh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just happened to find 30k valorite ingots in an IDOC a while back so I am not too worried about valorite ingots at this point. It is easy enough to get loot that unravels to essence but if you want to go the total crafter method then it's possible. We had a few threads a few years ago about how best to do this but it was so long ago things may have changed and the search function doesn't seem to be working so try doing what you can with the resources you have

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Well, golden ingots are very easy to come by nowadays, so doing some traditional runic crafting golden daggers using shadow hammers should yield you a nice amount of essence.

Edit: Heck, burn through bronze hammers if you feel the need. They too are easy to come by, and not as good as copper when it comes to reforging a single overcapped property.

Last edited:

Tuan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Valorite ingots cost 900 each on ATL. Essence costs 167 each. Unless you know way to get 6 essence from a 1 ingot item... using valorite to craft things is not the smartest thing you can do.

A shadow hammer sells for 125k+ each (I just sold 100 for 125k each anyway), and the gold ingots to make it cost 150 each (again ATL prices, and I am assuming that the dude trying to sell gold ingots at 1500 per ingot typo'd an extra 0...). A shadow hammer has 45 uses, so each use costs 2400 gold each, plus 2 gold ingots per dagger = 2700 gold per essence... hmm.

THere's a guy selling 60k essence on ATL for 9,999,999 gold. You're better off to make the shadow hammers, sell them, and then use the proceeds to buy the essence.

Tuan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Using bronze hammers is also not smart... not because they're easy to sell on the open market, but because of the opportunity costs of the resources needed to make them.

You should basically never fill ringmail LBODs, because each individual deed has too high an opportunity cost for what other things it can be used to make. Chain LBODs should be bribed up to either exceptional 10/15 valorite or 20 except verite, and used to make agapite hammers, or maybe just left alone because of the opportunity cost of the smalls.

So that leaves 20 exceptional agapite smalls. Those agapite ingots are best used to fill 10 normal/15 normal deeds for POF, or 10 exceptional for copper hammers, or hell, maybe even just sell them outright. A 10x helmet deed will take 150 ingots @500/ingot = 75k, so only 25k profit, and only a 33% ROI. Or you just sell those ingots for 400gp each for 60k profit. 15 normal agapite is a break even to fill the deed for POF. 10 exceptional agapite = copper hammer. 75k in ingots, 250k sell the hammer = 175k profit. Even if you spent some money bribing, maybe we're talking 150k profit... still a 200% ROI.

A bronze hammer = 20 except agapite (assume helmet) = 300 ingots @ 500/ingot = 150k in raw materials. Bronze hammers look like they're selling for 270k (ok, they're for sale... I see not much evidence that people are buying them for that price). Ok, the 120k profit doesn't look so bad... but its only ~70% ROI - better than making POF, but still not great, and like I said, its not clear to me that anyone buys for this price.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Well, if you invest an hour down at Blackthorn, you can walk out with 15K+ golden ingots and at least one minax minor artifact that can be sold for some okay gold, or turned in towards some of the big items in the list.
If you also invest some time at the void pool, you can turn that 15K golden into 5K agapite to fill 20 ex small bods at zero gold cost, except for the 2 hours or so you will spend down at the Void Poll to gather that many points solo.

Percivalgoh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Holy smokes at 900 gold then I found 27 million worth. I am a millionair arfterall...... I guess what it boils down to is finding the best use of your time so if you enjoy crafting then figuring out how to generate income to buy essence or make stuff that unravels into essence. If you don't enjoy hunting stuff for loot to unravel and you do crafting then do you enjoy being a merchant ? I don't enjoy selling stuff but I do enjoy once in a while looking for stuff to buy

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's cheaper to make and unravel oak board made bokutos for residue..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pirate Roberts

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's cheaper to make and unravel oak board made bokutos for residue..

I use 1 dull copper ingot to make a hammer which gives me 3 magic residue.
Oak Bokuto's use 6 oak per. I made 20 (mix of exceptional and regular, no talisman) and got 88.
I think it provided a better return for amount of resources used with the ingots, however, I can't deny that I have an abundance of wood.
Thanks for the suggestions.

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I use 1 dull copper ingot to make a hammer which gives me 3 magic residue.
Oak Bokuto's use 6 oak per. I made 20 (mix of exceptional and regular, no talisman) and got 88.
I think it provided a better return for amount of resources used with the ingots, however, I can't deny that I have an abundance of wood.
Thanks for the suggestions.
I misread I thought you were making items with runics..not sure why I thought that..yes you're correct your method is more efficient

Pirate Roberts

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I misread I thought you were making items with runics..not sure why I thought that..yes you're correct your method is more efficient

It is cost effective, but like I said, I have a ton of oak laying around. I like making use of things.

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It is cost effective, but like I said, I have a ton of oak laying around. I like making use of things.
I think I didn't base it too much on cost but the amount I could make in a sitting..for restocking vendors and such I could keep the wood and tool in the unravel bag and make max unravel very quickly and make close to 5k very fast to stock up vendors or guild crafting stations

Percivalgoh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Personally, I'd just do level 1 & 2 T-maps and unravel most of the loot. That way, you'll get some money, some special imbuing ingredients, and the occasional item worth imbuing. The advantage of T-maps over looting kills is that usually you don't have to worry about respawns while looting, and the spawn is relatively easy.
Holy smoke Basara, thanks for making that post. I haven't tried them since the loot changes. Makes them worthwhile now.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I'm averaging about 10 residue, 40+ essence and 10-20 relic fragments off a level 5 or 6, and that is NOT looting the spawn. The spawn would double or more the essence and residue, and usually add a few relics (I do add a few items that might give relics if they stand out on the spawn, but currently I'm so cash-strapped I mostly take just the gold and gems off spawn).
Just to give you a reminder of what comes out of the maps

http://uo2.stratics.com/skill-guides/skills-and-professions/treasure-map-quests

When you get 15-20 (counting the initial spawn) of the creatures from the initial dig and looting, the amount of stuff you can bring back is really only limited by the time limit on the chest and the number of 50-stone items you might have to leave behind. After all, if you're not a tamer TH using a GD, you can always carry a pet ball in for the non-Ilshenar maps and call a pack horse in to carry out the bags of loot.

After clearing out about 40 Level 1-2 maps, about 20 level 3-5 and THREE level 6, I've gone from having about 1200 free capacity in my two main houses to less than 50 combined, just in stuff that didn't get unraveled that I need to have someone help me with current values on. And, I tripled my amount of relics and go so much extra essence I turned in 2k of it for 115 PS trying to get runics.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Remember, those 115 PSes are also worth 500 turn in points per.
Whenever I am full of essence or relics, I burn 500 of them on that quest for 5K turn in points or 25K, when burning through relics.

And yes, level 6 chests loot is now quite worth looking at and unraveling. I am getting 35 relics per Fel chest on average.