• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Discussion] Unique Newbied items?

J

Jasonleebeck

Certainly most are familiar with what newbied items are, and their commonality in different 'flavors', i.e. newbied clothing and weapons. However, would there be any interest in some items that I have never seen in my near 5 years time thus far with UO? For example, some wood, reagents, instruments, crafting tools, gold, and such. I came across these several years ago on chars from a bought account, and recently was able to do some x-sharding, thus bringing them along the way home to GL.

Another point at hand is, should a decision be made to sell a few small handful's, (more than likely some of the stackable items) how would one prove they were newbied? Reason(s) being, N.I.'s cannot be insured as is, they are generally no different in appearance with other items, etc. Abusing the fact that they are, (imo) to a point, in-displayable, I do find however, an almost unruly method to prove to a potential buyer in game as to their genuineness.

Here's the scenario, both players in fel buck naked. One with the N.I., and the other a check for purchase. The seller, one way or another dies and buyer checks corpse. If newbied, the corpse empty. Rez up, make the trade, and since both parties have blessed items, a check and the item, the sale is legit. Crude yet seemingly effective.

And yes, I do plan on selling a handful of n.i.'s.

V

Vahne

that sounds like a neat idea for trading, but are newbie blessed items really in demand that much? I would collect them as part of my old tagged/bugged items collection. but the fact that i could barely display them makes it a tough sell. :sad3:

J

Jasonleebeck

Hiya Vahne,

I think your point is one of the biggest reasons that they aren't in demand, and haven't been basically ever. There is a way to lock them down in containers and at least be viewable by others, all the while completely safe from any possible theft and/or decay. I also really doubt that there will be a way anytime in the future for this to be altered, not that there's a need. That leaves me (imo) to view it as a type of item further yet up the scale in uniqueness and rarity level, as much as a number of other collectibles displayed in numerous museum and such do. Some as much themselves are even newbied. Granted the past and present prices I've seen claimed on vendors has varied from 5k-105k, as such,they were all generally clothing and perhaps a few pairs of scissors. And no, I'm not suggesting that they be instantly worth millions upon millions, but for those who do enjoy a trip to the past UO through items, one could certainly consider several hundred K and perhaps a million for something quite unique, and blessed.

That being said, does anyone own N.I.'s other than general clothing and tools? I myself own a complete set of mage regs, scrolls, a shield, arrow shafts, feathers, books, daggers, gold, a Mapmaker's Pen, sextant, Tinker's tools, (strange tools graphic) a drum, lute, and the obvious pieces of clothing including a pair of leather gloves. All these and yes, I do have a nice 90% finished set of old christmas gift items, including genuine coal and three original colored Happy Holidays bags as well.

Pickaxe Pete

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The item evaluation skill should identify newbie items as having a value of 0. Humans can do this. Should work on an item in the trade window.

Personally, I have only seen the newbie clothing sell, and not too well at that, maybe 50-100k ea.

Maybe fishing poles, sextants, etc., would do much better.

But perhaps someone will just *have* to have that blessed board to carry with them for time and all eternity. Just never know, especially with kleptoma... I mean collectors.

Best of luck!

AtlanticVlad

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Question If you have newbie stackables and you add to them are the new ones newbie then? what if u split the pile then? Info?

V

Vahne

In my experience you can't stack newbied items. So for example if you have a stack of newbied regs, you couldn't add any new regs to the pile. If you take one out of the stack I believe it stays newbied but again nothing could be added to the new pile. I bet Jason could correct me if I'm a bit fuzzy in my memory, cause it's been well over 3-4 years since I dealt with newbied regs.

OH and don't get me wrong, I love newbied items in principle, I just hate having to display things within containers :(. And I do think that by now the non clothing items at least deserve a little more love.

J

Jasonleebeck

Well, from a quick few tests, it turns out that the stackable newbie items will not stack with everyday items. They also turn out to be able to split, (still not stackable with non newbie), and recombine with it's own newbie stack.

As for the Item Id in the trade window, they did indeed show a value of 0, . . after several failed skill attempts right off the bat. You may however be out of luck if an Elf.

Btw, the newbied gold is spendable. I bought a sewing kit from a tailor npc for 3 gold, 2 regular and 1 newbied.

Hey Vahne, your memory seems to serve you well.:thumbup1: