• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Ultimate Taming Challenge?

S

Sweety

Whats the hardest thing to tame in game?
I haven't been to the new dungeon yet. Is there anything fun there to tame?

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
The hardest thing to tame in game is, without a doubt, a greater dragon. There are things you can do to make it easier, like honour taming, but lead taming a greater dragon without honour is a rite of passage that every tamer should take. You can find greater dragons wherever you find the older dragon types.

There is nothing in the Abyss to tame, but there are some new critters in Ter Mur (the new lands). I think however that so much care was taken to ensure that they weren't over powered that they have been met with a bit of a yawn by the taming community, although a couple of lowland boura can make a very nice combination for a non tamer.

And there are also a couple of new critters that can be tamed in the Underworld now that I think of it, iron beetles and wolf spiders. Again, those haven't been a big hit and you rarely see them in use.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'd say greater draggy or reptalon. I know when I went to get my 120 taming gain on a reptalon it took a crazy amount of work sifting through the spawn and then finally trying to lead tame in one little clear corner with rend just off screen one way and the reptalon's buddies the other side of me.

Greaters in wind are tough, enclosed space taming always is. Taming a GD is the only time I'd rate them as fun, they're a blast to tame ;)

The other ooooold challenge is a nightmare from inside tera keep, tram or fel would be pretty tricky these days.

Wenchy

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Squirrels. Squirrels are pretty challenging if they're placed wrong.

The challenge isn't in taming them, but getting them out alive.

Apart from that, greater dragons for their toughness and difficulty. Cu Sidhe for their healing ability (but if you you non lead-taming tactics they are pretty easy. I just lead time for the convenience).

Nothing from SA is remotely challenging.

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
I'd say the primary source of difficulty derives from the spawn surrounding the creature that you are trying to tame. Greater dragons are especially challenging if other greater dragons are around. Reptalons are especially challenging if Rend or Pyre is nearby.

L

Luke Carjacker

I'll say the toughest thing I've tamed recently have been Raptors. They are lightning quick and do not slow down as they take damage. They hit pretty hard as well. Throw in the fact that they might spawn a half-dozen friends if you move around too fast (secondary spawn if you run I think) and it can get pretty nasty. The other thing is that they move so fast, on my screen at least, they'll jump from a few tiles away to right on top of me in a split second, which only only means that they can bite me, but also that I might hit them in self-defense and interrupt the taming opportunity. I don't use peace or honor for any taming, so knowing how to move is critical. It's two bad that a pair of them with pack instinct doesn't seem to be all that effective to me.

GD's are tough because it has to be done on foot (5 slots). The flip side is that they slow to a crawl if you beat them down first, and their breath weapon does little damage when their HP are low. I think one mistake a lot of people do is use protection spell at all times, which I think is actually more dangerous at times against spellcasters like GDs. If you're not in protection, you can cure/heal/invis a lot faster; just gotta know how to time them. If you tame in Destard, it's pretty easy to separate a GD to tame in peace.

Do you guys remember trying to tame nightmares in Terathan Keep back when the nightmare spawn area was filled with Ophidians? The nightmare would spawn on that plateau there, and there would be what seemed like hundreds of Ophidians around. Taming was no picnic anyways, because it was capped at 100, and attempts on a 95.1 minimum skill nightmare was a serious test (5% chance maybe?). Throw in lack of faster casting, fast cast recovery, severe mana limitations, etc. That will always stick out in my mind as the ultimate taming challenge, and why for so long (back in the day) nightmares were the elite ride.

weins201

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Syrus has nailed it it is not necesserily the tame but the location.

Simple Tames it has to be the greater Dragon.

Location and added difficulties if By far the Repatalons in the Monitor Area. but they are usless once tamed.

:popcorn:

Now also location for the Cu's can be Hell in a Hand basket, go there and try taming with negative Karma :gee:

J

[JD]

Bane Dragon at its introduction was probably the hardest tame. GD was tough, sifting through GDs while dealing with spawn. But due to the twit-factor, Bane exclipsed GD taming imo. Solo rune beetle taming can also be rough. There's a lot of aggro magery and poisoning things nearby. I know some people had trouble with the fire beetle but I always just lured the majority of everything away, tamed, told it stay, invis'd it, ran out, then relogged.

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor