• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS Ultima Online NLS #14

Danpal

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Next year but make sure to have all your accounts active for the free gift

Cinderella

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Awards
no mention of Krampus...
1663691968747.png
must not have fixed it
(i believe it was reported that the specials wasn't working right
and was withheld until it was fixed)
=====

Thank you Devs for posting this newsletter

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dupeing most likely and the other is yelling out website names. but Keith can tell you more about it
How exactly does one abuse a game mechanic ? It should say abuse of an exploit, because Theft of a Free Item is not a crime.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
How exactly does one abuse a game mechanic ? It should say abuse of an exploit, because Theft of a Free Item is not a crime.
Buying 100 items is legal. Dropping an item on the ground is legal. Dropping 100 items on someone's recall spot is abuse of game mechanics.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Buying 100 items is legal. Dropping an item on the ground is legal. Dropping 100 items on someone's recall spot is abuse of game mechanics.
I disagree, that someone can just make a new recall spot. That's not abuse of game mechanics, that's griefing.

Danpal

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
there A few things that can be see as abuse of a game mechanic. boxing in your mare in haven and getting the mobs to cast spells on it can been seen as an abuse of game mechanics. Placing a small spot at a castle or keep spot before it drops then resizing the spot before the timer to lock up a section of the spot so no one else can place a keep or castle there is an abuse of game mechanics. Blocking someone ship in with other ships can be same as abuse of game mechanics to name a few.

From what I have heard is the new dupeing bug has to do with gaza hight into the black screen area at Server lines.

Lindae Lives

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I consider griefing and exploitation to both be legitimate forms of magic, and respect those who put them to successful use.

Veldrane

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Was this the last newsletter? If so, are we taking bets on when the next one will come out?

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I think it's still happening but it's not going to be the game changing populated revival bring back subs that they're probably expecting. I'd put money it's a flop.
You mean it's not going to be the Biggest and Boldest? :) It will have a lot of players for a few weeks. Then the quality will either keep us playing or not. I am discouraged by it being pre AOS items and it lasting a year. But have to see what the final product is actually.

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I think at some point she will say NL is not going to happen, give everyody some colored piece of pie, and the crowd will go mad how generous she is.
You left out the part where the colored piece of pie isn't given out until 2 years after they announce that NL isn't going to be released lol

Whitewolf of *VK*

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
so first of all they lack the knowledge to fix bugs thats been around for years and years so i have no hope at all for NL, and 2nd when was the last time anyone saw any kind of a post from Dev? do they even still exists? or is UO pretty much just running on it own at this point?
when was the last time someone saw a GM? last week or so i had a couple issues with some things glitching out, paged a GM a few times and no response ever, not even a automated response.

gwen

Slightly Crazed
so first of all they lack the knowledge to fix bugs thats been around for years and years so i have no hope at all for NL, and 2nd when was the last time anyone saw any kind of a post from Dev? do they even still exists? or is UO pretty much just running on it own at this point?
when was the last time someone saw a GM? last week or so i had a couple issues with some things glitching out, paged a GM a few times and no response ever, not even a automated response.
Or may be NL is so awesome that all team is playing it on test server days and nights , having no time to take shower or clean house and forgot about their job responsibilities. They want to be left alone, want to leave such game for themselves , not letting other players to join...

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
You do realize they do not/will not/cannot post here, right? Stratics is not the official forum place any more. The official forum is over at uo.com. Stratics has not seen any Dev member for quite some time.

gwen

Slightly Crazed
You do realize they do not/will not/cannot post here, right? Stratics is not the official forum place any more. The official forum is over at uo.com. Stratics has not seen any Dev member for quite some time.
Neither they do on official forum for quite a time. It was good when Kyronix was active there

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
He does still come here, they just can't post, but Kyronix keeps tabs on what is being said here.
1673239046719.png

He just doesn't want to respond to all the negativity, dont' blame him

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
i thought the fair 25th anni was good idea until so many chars kept cutting in line to the front. i didn't do many games because of this. i also picked a game that took the most time to do lol. people would go from game to game and just cut in line. i didn't see anything done to stop this. maybe the devs can learn what people/chars will do and develop a system that cant be abused or exploited. just my opinions lol

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
i thought the fair 25th anni was good idea until so many chars kept cutting in line to the front. i didn't do many games because of this. i also picked a game that took the most time to do lol. people would go from game to game and just cut in line. i didn't see anything done to stop this. maybe the devs can learn what people/chars will do and develop a system that cant be abused or exploited. just my opinions lol
It was a good high level idea but the fact that they made it a single Saturday for like some 3 hour window was bad form. Some people like myself were not able to even log on Saturday because of RL obligations which is what it is I suppose but even the people that were able to log on the entire time sounds like were shafted given the incredibly long wait for just about everything.

They should have done like a "VIP" thing (which is common to see in RL food/drink events) that allowed people early access to better handle the crowds; but instead of paying extra money the VIP entry would be determined by account age (20+ year old accts get in when gate opens / 15-20 get in 30min later / 10-15 get in 30min after that / 10 below are all general admission after that) which would have allowed the people who have supported the game the longest the most access. It would have been easy enough to throw up a wall around the entire fairground and only allow a single point of entry based on account age (like veteran rewards).

They should have also left up the clickies for more than just 12 hours for those that couldn't make it until the next day or two. Another poor choice on the part of Mesanna (who was the one removing everything).

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
He does still come here, they just can't post, but Kyronix keeps tabs on what is being said here.
View attachment 139228

Perhaps if they actually you know... talked to the players and treated players better perhaps people wouldn't be so negative???

Truth is that the DEVs bring a lot of negativity onto themselves by doing things like treating the victims of scams and bugs like criminals and refusing to help them... time and time again... or ignoring massive glaring bugs... not giving Xmas presents, or Easter, or insert any other forgotten holiday they didn't do anything about... I mean come on Christmas happens at the exact same time EVERY YEAR it's not like it sneaks up on them... they had an ENTIRE year to come up with a gift... never giving much update on what is going on... having a massive lack of communication might maybe make players somewhat negative... catering to certain players or play styles while destroying others might make some players rather negative... doing a 1/2 ass job of things might make players somewhat negative... the lack of support, lack of service... lack of response to emails... might make players rather negative... I mean I could go on all day about the things that make players negative.

What have we had to get positive about... besides the fact that the game is still actually on.

I mean they throw together a few rehued, or reskinned items onto a "vendor" and turn on another dungeon grindfest that is often plagued with cheating, multi-boxing, AFK farmers, and griefers who enjoy nothing more than to ruin things for others... because they lack some nookie or something in their life they feel the need to make everyone else miserable with them... And if that requires more than a week to "plan" and throw up ... then I think they need to consider that they seriously shouldn't be in the business of making a game... I mean really... it's not like they put a lot of effort into anything at all anymore...

As for the NL I still think that is a **** show... and after all the hype and stupid excuses, I'm beginning to think it's all been smoke and mirrors. Not that I really give a **** anyway as I have no interest whatsoever in a shard that will be wiped. I don't care what they do on it.

I'm just saying if we had something worth being positive about... we would.

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
View attachment 139228

We don't need the communication to be two ways everytime simple weekly or bi weekly updates with the occasional M&G with actual two way communication and perhaps someone other than Mesanna as the spokesperson..

Schatzi

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I for one would just like to know why waste the time and resources for a shard that gets wiped and they’re not
sure anyone will play. If they would direct the time and resources into fixing years old bugs, maybe just
maybe there would be less complaining and we might get some new and old players back.
Did I miss the memo where they asked us if anyone wanted this shard? I mean we do all pay for UO so
i just thought a poll or survey would have been in order. I still love this game and I do appreciate some of the new
content. I don’t know, it just seems odd that the dev team went the route they did. But then, everything
about this game has always been circled in secrecy.

Miretar

Journeyman
I for one would just like to know why waste the time and resources for a shard that gets wiped and they’re not
sure anyone will play. If they would direct the time and resources into fixing years old bugs, maybe just
maybe there would be less complaining and we might get some new and old players back.
Did I miss the memo where they asked us if anyone wanted this shard? I mean we do all pay for UO so
i just thought a poll or survey would have been in order. I still love this game and I do appreciate some of the new
content. I don’t know, it just seems odd that the dev team went the route they did. But then, everything
I suspect that they need to appease the upper management, who do not understand the game or the player base, by producing something new.

dvv

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I’m looking forward to it although I’m skeptical about it at this point.

The “nobody asked for this” argument makes me cringe. Creators create. They don’t wait around for someone to ask for something to be created. A lot of great things in the world were created without someone asking for it to be made.

That said, who knows if NL will even happen at this point and if it will be “great”. I can’t stand how silent this team is.

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I’m looking forward to it although I’m skeptical about it at this point.

The “nobody asked for this” argument makes me cringe. Creators create. They don’t wait around for someone to ask for something to be created. A lot of great things in the world were created without someone asking for it to be made.

That said, who knows if NL will even happen at this point and if it will be “great”. I can’t stand how silent this team is.
Yes creators create but after fixing decades old bugs and quality of life fixes all done

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I will start by saying I don't think I'll play NL based on what I've seen so far but I will give it a try (if it ever comes out). I would have also preferred if they just focused on "fixing" (and enhancing) the current game but I think we might be at a point where the game is so old (25 years) that there has become a huge mountain of information new players need to process in order to understand the game which many do not want to learn.

I think a lot of people are missing the fact that NL was was quoted as something to "bring the largest audience UO has ever seen" which means they aren't really concerned with what the current player base has to say; they want to make a game (in my opinion) that new players will try out with the hopes of keeping them paying after the "season" is over. This business model makes sense in theory.

The idea of NL, from what I understand of the very limited detail, also would take the grind out of many things and return UO to what it once was where it was where you gained skills & obtained money by just playing the game doing stuff you like to do (which is a gripe of a lot of current players). The issue is in the execution of their plan, or maybe lack thereof? They don't really seem like they have the pieces in place to take on this large task. They lack several things like (wo)manpower on the coding side, a clear vision/direction of what the end product will be (we have virtually zero details of what they are doing), and the biggest thing they lack is any real project management to keep the train on the tracks.

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED

Technically it's in line with items people asked for (ie less grind - more like old UO as far as simplicity), it's just on a new platform. It kind of reminds me of something like treasure hunting revamp. It's something that hits on a piece that was indeed asked for but unfortunately the direction the team is taking it is not where the people who asked wanted to go with it. This is something to me that shows that the Devs don't really play the game anymore because if they did, they would realize that the changes they are making (ie changes to Tmaps) don't really hit on the true issues of the original request.

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I will start by saying I don't think I'll play NL based on what I've seen so far but I will give it a try (if it ever comes out). I would have also preferred if they just focused on "fixing" (and enhancing) the current game but I think we might be at a point where the game is so old (25 years) that there has become a huge mountain of information new players need to process in order to understand the game which many do not want to learn.

I think a lot of people are missing the fact that NL was was quoted as something to "bring the largest audience UO has ever seen" which means they aren't really concerned with what the current player base has to say; they want to make a game (in my opinion) that new players will try out with the hopes of keeping them paying after the "season" is over. This business model makes sense in theory.

The idea of NL, from what I understand of the very limited detail, also would take the grind out of many things and return UO to what it once was where it was where you gained skills & obtained money by just playing the game doing stuff you like to do (which is a gripe of a lot of current players). The issue is in the execution of their plan, or maybe lack thereof? They don't really seem like they have the pieces in place to take on this large task. They lack several things like (wo)manpower on the coding side, a clear vision/direction of what the end product will be (we have virtually zero details of what they are doing), and the biggest thing they lack is any real project management to keep the train on the tracks.
Attracting new customers would require communication...

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Attracting new customers would require communication...
Lack of communication would fall under the horrendous project management; likely because there isn't a clear project scope.

It's a double edge sword for Mesanna because while a lack of direction kind of lets you off the hook as a PM (ie - she can technically say she hit her deliverables with as vague as they are) it basically sabotages the project overall with lack of direction. We still don't have the slightest clue about what NL is going to be (aside from a ton of speculation) after 2-3 years. That tells me that it's likely that the project team isn't really sure what NL will be either.

In a nutshell, they don't really know what they will have to offer potential new customers and given the snails pace they are developing NL; it doesn't even matter because anyone that would be remotely interested would have lost interest after waiting around for a year + for whatever was promised. Let's be honest, based on the resources they have, UO NL isn't going to revolutionize the online gaming industry so people aren't going to follow every single update as they eagerly await its release. Whatever hype they build would need to be acted on ASAP which clearly isn't the plan almost 3 years since NL was announced.

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Lack of communication would fall under the horrendous project management; likely because there isn't a clear project scope.

It's a double edge sword for Mesanna because while a lack of direction kind of lets you off the hook as a PM (ie - she can technically say she hit her deliverables with as vague as they are) it basically sabotages the project overall with lack of direction. We still don't have the slightest clue about what NL is going to be (aside from a ton of speculation) after 2-3 years. That tells me that it's likely that the project team isn't really sure what NL will be either.

In a nutshell, they don't really know what they will have to offer potential new customers and given the snails pace they are developing NL; it doesn't even matter because anyone that would be remotely interested would have lost interest after waiting around for a year + for whatever was promised. Let's be honest, based on the resources they have, UO NL isn't going to revolutionize the online gaming industry so people aren't going to follow every single update as they eagerly await its release. Whatever hype they build would need to be acted on ASAP which clearly isn't the plan almost 3 years since NL was announced.
They had the hype of 25 years hype they blew with only a poorly planned implemented event...

gwen

Slightly Crazed
They had the hype of 25 years hype they blew with only a poorly planned implemented event...
Event was ok, cuz I never attended it. Same as I don't attend EM events .anymore. When I go there I curse , blame , feel nervous about freezes , lags and couldn't see a thing on a screen and then kaboom - screen is grey. Arrrrrr!
Since timing on 25 Anni event was completely wrong for my timezone , I had no grief or anger. Which is fine by me.

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Event was ok, cuz I never attended it. Same as I don't attend EM events .anymore. When I go there I curse , blame , feel nervous about freezes , lags and couldn't see a thing on a screen and then kaboom - screen is grey. Arrrrrr!
Since timing on 25 Anni event was completely wrong for my timezone , I had no grief or anger. Which is fine by me.
I think the point is each shard should have had its own unique event in a time frame convenient for players there