• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS Ultima Online Newsletter

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
"2. In the EC, when I have a mountable pet's healthbar up and another player mounts that pet, the healthbar remains. In the CC this doens't happen, why?

This is a bug in the EC and will be fixed in a future update."

What???? are you so stupid??

So rather than admit the feature doesn't work properly in CC, you decide to break it in EC too...

weeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
let's get something straight, no other healthbar works like this, in both clients, if you drag someone's bar, you want that bar, if the person recalls, or goes offscreen or teleports, or even logs out, you don't lose that bar, the only time you ever lose someone's bar is if that person dies onscreen.

You've gone to the effort of dragging the bar, cos you need the bar.

This is so ridiculous.

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I mean, do you even realise how hard it is on CC to drag poeples bars??

You get people on EC skipping around the screen, and you manage to stay alive and somehow in the melee, grab the bar of the player and the pet and manage to stay alive...

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
someone please tell me that this was a typo and supposed to read:

"This is a bug in the CC and will be fixed in a future update"

Cady

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Hehe, ima EC noob, but wouldn't the pet's health bar appear under the list of mobiles' bars that constantly updating? Making it sort of a nonissue in EC either way.

It would be nice if they fixed it the way Mervyn has been requesting, nonslayer mountable pets have enough advantages already without having the luxury of its enemies needing an unpredictable amount of time to retarget it(either by dragging its bar again or cycling through the targeting system THAT WORKS LIKE COMPLETE GARBAGE; THERE ARE NO MOBILES ON SCREEN THERE ARE NO MOBILES ON SCREEN HAHAHA THERE ARE NO MOBILES ON SCREEN YA FLIPPIN JERK). There's an obv solution to this... but on some chars you like to be able to see health bars update... THERE ARE NO POSTS ON THIS SCREEN! Okay, wow, yea, CC targeting system and T2A line of sight retardation triggers me.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I am happy that many of my EC concerns were addressed in the newsletter, though I'm somewhat dismayed that they were are all relegated to the nebulous "future." Two of them (big explosions and public corpses) are long-standing, rage-inducing, game-stopping issues for EC players. They need fixed ASAP, before more new features are added.

I forgot to add the spellbook closing crash bug to the list, mainly since I thought it was fixed...But it has unceremoniously dumped me to the desktop no less than four times this week. When you close any spellbook, it begins to shrink away. As soon as it "vanishes" so does the client, about 30% of the time. Spellbooks didn't crash the client before the shrinking was introduced, the bug is hiding in that bit of code.

I know that the writeable book issue is tricky, but its been almost a decade. I'm willing to bet that people will accept the loss of ancient ASCII art in favor of functionality. Just ensure that the actual text in old books is visible in any new system. I think I gave you a viable way to fix the issue without ruining older books.**

The other bugs I mentioned are fairly low hanging fruit as far as bugs go...

** While you're fixing the books, why not give us the ability to write on scrolls as well. The art already exists to do this. I'd also suggest adding a few of the larger book art types (such as item 7185) as craftable with 400 pages.

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
even when you stable a pet, you don't lose its bar....

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Wow Merv calm yourself...6 of the 9 replies so far in this thread are you.....please stop spamming and put all your thoughts in one post!!! :)

I get that you're upset...but maybe it's just supposed to be this way..maybe it's been broken for a long time and they are just now getting around to fixing it..or maybe they are just tired of seeing your 54876 posts about it and just want to make you so mad you quit...I JEST!

I agree it makes no sense to ~Fix~ it in the EC...the only time a bar gets wonky is if someone logs out and it shows the name of someone who's already up on your screen BUT it doesn't poof.

Maybe they will re-think ~Fixing~ it in the EC and attempt to make it work in the CC...OR maybe they can't do it in the CC because of coding issues so will just remove it from the EC so it's the same in both clients.

I do feel your pain...I honestly do...it doesn't make sense..to US anyway...but they're the ones that have to go into the code and try to make things work.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
16. How does Armor Ignore work when a creature uses it?

Creatures trigger their special moves on every swing, because of this the creature can swing at you and miss, as a result Armor Ignore will not fire. In order for the creature to actually land the special move, they need to land a successful hit.
The underlined has been a bug since NPC's could use specials AoS/ML or there about.

It's also not limited to Armor Ignore, It's literally every single special pets have access to, they can land the special without dealing their melee attack damage like players do.

the "Special" hits, but the pet itself misses... It's always been that way since NPCs could use specials.
It's also probably the easiest thing in UO to replicate as well.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Wow.. a very lengthy Newsletter.. cool.

and..

15. Can we get a blessed book satchel so spellbooks & runebooks do not get messed up inside our backpacks in the classic backpack container?

This has been added to our backlog, the satchel would only apply to spell and runebooks. We hope to released it in a future update.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::danceb::thumbsup::thumbsup::ten:

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So what happened to the Castles update?
The raffle stone was supposed to be added for 1 of 3 "new" castles for those of us that cannot attend the "party" as we don't live in the USA and not just for some dupers old houses.....

Not a single mention of the new "tool" to be added to test so we can make some new designs for the new castles ....for the Anniversary...
If they have found that this is ALOT bigger deal than they thought (which we all knew already) why don't they just admit it instead of just ignoring any questions about it now??

Ignorance is NOT bliss.........

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wow.. a very lengthy Newsletter.. cool.

and..

15. Can we get a blessed book satchel so spellbooks & runebooks do not get messed up inside our backpacks in the classic backpack container?

This has been added to our backlog, the satchel would only apply to spell and runebooks. We hope to released it in a future update.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::danceb::thumbsup::thumbsup::ten:
You do realise that some of the bugs they "just" added to that backlog are more than 5 years old now? I wouldn't hold your breath for the book satchel any time soon. ;)

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
So what happened to the Castles update?
The raffle stone was supposed to be added for 1 of 3 "new" castles for those of us that cannot attend the "party" as we don't live in the USA and not just for some dupers old houses.....
From newsletter...

On TC1 I will also be placing the Raffle Stone for the three (3) Grandfather houses we will be giving away in Malas or Vesper (space permitting on the selected shard) for the 20th Anniversary. Winners will be announced at the 20th Anniversary Party in September!

I took that to mean the castles for non attenders.

You do realise that some of the bugs they "just" added to that backlog are more than 5 years old now? I wouldn't hold your breath for the book satchel any time soon. ;)
*shrugs*

Non of the bugs are game ending to me.. so can handle them fixing them if or when they get around to it *shrugs*... and on the plus side.. she did not say the satchel was "low priority" like some of the bugs were.

Prince Erik

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
"2. In the EC, when I have a mountable pet's healthbar up and another player mounts that pet, the healthbar remains. In the CC this doens't happen, why?

So rather than admit the feature doesn't work properly in CC, you decide to break it in EC too...

weeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Wow, talk about "Careful what you wish for..." !! Owch. :(

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
LOL
Why bother even answering individual questions, should jsut make them in one long run-on sentence and then after it say, " We will check on it for a possible future publish".

And for Pete's sake, on the new design castle thing. Someone somewhere sometime, back in the dark ages when computers were clunky and slow and graphics really suxxored, was able to create the castle design we have now and implement it-even if it was in deed form and not some multi-house placement tool. If you have to, put the new ones in deed again. whatever. You could save yourself the effort of all this crap if you woulda just made 18x18 have castle storage and then scaled others down from there...

LMAO at gonna fix the health bars in the wrong client, but then again, its always easier to just chop something off, than to sew something on. *shrugs*

Pub 98 SP2 sounds interesting, with updated artisan festival information in it. Sound like there might be hope that someone picks us up after the contract expires in Nov. ( If what I read was really true lol)

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Sound like there might be hope that someone picks us up after the contract expires in Nov. ( If what I read was really true lol)
Made me run off to Google... could only find old articles.. what'd you read? :eyes:

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It certainly would explain alot of things if Broadsword were not planning to re-new the licence for UO and just concentrate on their "primary" game DaoC.
Or is that what they have been doing for the last couple of years already? ;)

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I'm a bit confused, I thought there would be 3 castles given away at the party and 3 given away on test. I can understand announcing the winners from the party during the party, but not so much the ones on test....
Also, am I the only one feeling really concerned that there is still no castle design tool being mentioned? I'm starting to get a bad feeling about this castle re-design contest, it's getting awful late in the day now...:confused:

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
When will they learn. The core players (the ones that have been around forever with multiple accounts) are not impressed by releasing new stuff that ultimately creates more bugs for them to fix. Fix the simple things that cause everyday headaches, then and only then should you move on to creating anything new. They literally have not released a single publish that hasnt created more issues either in of itself or in some other area game due to lack of forethought.

I do not understand how the staff decides to prioritize things, but it seems like this has been mismanaged for years now. Like a third world country building a water park in the middle of a drought.

Constructive part of post:

How I would prioritize the staffs time.

1. Fix the way new players come into game. Force new haven, create a mini dungeon for them to train in. Provide NPC trainers, assign advisors to hang out in the areas while visible. Over all fix the longstanding problem of new players having no clue how to play or interact in this game. restrict trial accounts to this area only. new players shouldnt have to be directed to uoguide.com or stratics for every single aspect of the game. All of that info should be worked into the game.

2. All the things that make us crash. Opening spellbooks, large EM graphics, Public corpses, loading problems around peoples houses, server issues etc etc etc etc.

3. Fix all other everyday issues like tamed animals being lost, new resolution issues, how the game saves your character profile, Remove RNG (there is no such thing as random in this game), Housing bugs, house tiles in a packy, vendor search reset far to often, high seas issues, roof exploits, exodus exploits, medusa exploits, Non vendorable ignorance, advisor exploits etc etc etc.

3. Fix EM events. seriously going to continually allow 10-20 people come in and bring 5-10 accounts controlled by one macro system? laughable

4. Fix the Idoc system 15 hours which is 70 percent of all idocs, makes it to where only the "pros" win. there are a lot of threads with fixes to this.

5. Fix VvV. Put the altars at choke points. reduce the amount of cities. finish the story line, if there even is one? Make stealing more involved with the players fighting. stop the afk scripting of this. Get rid of that hideously big gump. Make a reward system that resets monthly for the most kills, steals, heals, assists etc etc. Give reds governor of bucs den and attach the vote to VvV wins. Gives reds a buff they havent had access to ever.

6. More gold sinks please. The economy of this game is pretty damn funny. To quote a friend.

New player - "Man, I made 1m in the dungeons this week, pretty cool"
Old Timer - "Man, I've got a collection here worth millions, put together over 15 years! Pretty cool"
Gold Famer - "Man, I did 2 EM events and my script gatherers have been running 24/7 but I didn't hit 12 plat this week, this sucks"
New player and Old Timer - "WTF man, 12 plat in 1 week automatically?!!!, why am I bothering...I'm out"

There are probably a ton more things i missed. I for one am done discovering new ones or living with the old ones.

Last edited:

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I have little faith that all this is anything but some lip service. I applaud them when they finally publish this half decade old bugfixes. Until then it's on the same "soon" backlog as the account management.

Bonus points for the answer "This is something we would have to investigate" in a newsletter where they actually have time to prepare answers to the questions *shrugs*. They are close to just dropping the M&G transcripts as newsletters.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
So in other words the letter pretty much says here is my Giant Middle finger... we'll do nothing about game breaking issues for anyone using the EC and we are going to continue to pretend nothing is wrong until all of you quit or give up asking about it???

So basically we were all just told to F Off without them really saying so...

I see how it is...

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Fix the way new players come into game. Force new haven, create a mini dungeon for them to train in. Provide NPC trainers, assign advisors to hang out in the areas while visible. Over all fix the longstanding problem of new players having no clue how to play or interact in this game. restrict trial accounts to this area only. new players shouldnt have to be directed to uoguide.com or stratics for every single aspect of the game. All of that info she be worked into the game.
@Scribbles thank you for that fantastic post! I think you got a lot right with that list, but the part I quoted is really important and should have been done years ago. :thumbsup:

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@Scribbles thank you for that fantastic post! I think you got a lot right with that list, but the part I quoted is really important and should have been done years ago. :thumbsup:
Found one i forgot.

The damn account management site. Dont get me started on that pile of... not to mention they already said it would be taken care of and then never mentioned it again. Pathetic.

S_S

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I will be giving away the houses removed from the player on Atlantic. You will find the Raffle Stone in front of the house

So players are just supposed to "know" where Clop's house(s) were on Atlantic to find the Raffle Stone?

Where do the DEVS come up with this half-assed, inadequate information? Second thought, don't answer that, I seriously do NOT want to know.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
So players are just supposed to "know" where Clop's house(s) were on Atlantic to find the Raffle Stone?
His Luna houses are directly outside both entrances to Luna bank, the very first house on each side. Not sure where the castle is.

I agree though, they should have said that in the newsletter instead of just assuming people know.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Shoot... judging from the crowds at all of his houses.. and the people recalling back and forth between them all.. I can't believe everyone didn't already know. Heck don't even see crowds like that at EM events ;)

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Also, am I the only one feeling really concerned that there is still no castle design tool being mentioned? I'm starting to get a bad feeling about this castle re-design contest, it's getting awful late in the day now...:confused:
They'll do it as soon as they are done with the acct management site, decorating the Brit banks that never got done right, and finish giving away those malas castle from long ago that never got given away.

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I'm a bit confused, I thought there would be 3 castles given away at the party and 3 given away on test. I can understand announcing the winners from the party during the party, but not so much the ones on test....
Indeed...

I have been biting my tongue about the castle design thing since it was announced. Rather than my full scathing breakdown, I'll just go with this: I was excited about it when I saw the first announcement, but that soon gave way to angry disappointment about the entire affair. It's pretty apparent that absolutely no forethought at all went into it. It should have been an easy slam dunk for the team. It was not.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
SO the only way to enter for the castle giveaway, if you cant attend the 20th anny, is a house on TC1 ? What house ? Where ? And why now are there stipulations on where the houses may be placed for the winners ? And a previously described Malas castle now has the chance to be a Vesper ? wth

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
His Luna houses are directly outside both entrances to Luna bank, the very first house on each side. Not sure where the castle is.

I agree though, they should have said that in the newsletter instead of just assuming people know.
This is proof positive to me that she caters to her friends, or those that knew who the hell clops even was. We don't all play on Atl...sigh

SO let me get this straight, the houses are being given away on Atl, and you click some stone there for a chance to win, and you also use this method on TC1 for a chance to win a castle on the shard of your choice...but where will the stone be placed on TC1 ? So we're going to rely on the RNG to pick the winners ? Dear god.....I have 0 chance at this.

Last edited:

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
This is proof positive to me that she caters to her friends, or those that knew who the hell clops even was. We don't all play on Atl...sigh
The thing is...it's on ATLANTIC....you said yourself not everyone plays there..so why would you want a house there? ;)

It's mainly for Atlantic people, which makes sense...yes I know EVERYONE wants an Atlantic Luna house....lord knows why....

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The thing is...it's on ATLANTIC....you said yourself not everyone plays there..so why would you want a house there? ;)

It's mainly for Atlantic people, which makes sense...yes I know EVERYONE wants an Atlantic Luna house....lord knows why....
Yeah I'm sure there will be no players from other shards trying to win one of those :p

My guess is @Mesanna is using that as a test for the 20th anny castles giveaways.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Id activate an old account to hold my current house and take any of those Atlantic houses. They are all filthy rich! Id sell it for at least 3P.

Or 18 120 pet scrolls.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Id activate an old account to hold my current house and take any of those Atlantic houses. They are all filthy rich! Id sell it for at least 3P.

Or 18 120 pet scrolls.
You would be ripping yourself off badly if you only sold them for 3P, considering the last four Luna houses to sell went for 20P each, and they were not as good as either of his.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Exactly I'd put my name in the hat if for no other reason than to sell it.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

weeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
It DOES work properly - you are not supposed to see a health bar for a pet that is under someone's backside. It is NOT a valid target. It never has been.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Can anyone please post a complete list of those houses? Is there only these three mentioned so far (2x luna, fel castle), or are there more? I'm pretty much in the dark tbh, even as an Atlantic local.

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Can anyone please post a complete list of those houses? Is there only these three mentioned so far (2x luna, fel castle), or are there more? I'm pretty much in the dark tbh, even as an Atlantic local.
2lunas and castle are the only ones i know. Perhaps there was a vesper keep/castle as well? I know clops had more than just these houses, however, I think only the three mentioned are being raffled.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
yes I know EVERYONE wants an Atlantic Luna house....lord knows why....
If you find someone to buy the house and then someone to buy your gold, we are speaking of something around $2000.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
2lunas and castle are the only ones i know. Perhaps there was a vesper keep/castle as well? I know clops had more than just these houses, however, I think only the three mentioned are being raffled.
thx!

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
She said when the pub went live...hopefully that is a few days off yet LOL