• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS Ultima Online Newsletter #43

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
EJ was a silly idea that was very badly implemented, when it was first suggested most people said it was a bad idea, but they did it anyway. I don't think there are many people who thought it was more worthwhile than Return-to-Britannia or the two week free trial, they could have just extended that to a month. I'm guessing 'free-to-play' was an idea from 'upstairs'. Scripting and afk farming has been in the game since forever, they have never attempted to tackle it properly, I don't think their plan is really going to affect the worst problems, at the moment it just seems to be making a lot of legit players annoyed.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
IMO they just don't have the manpower to control the harm EJ can do... but then they don't have the manpower for much of anything and I guess we should be thankful for whatever they try to keep UO going.

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It doesn't seem like most players even understand what EJ is all about. It was/is intended to bring back players to play the game as combatants. PvP and PvM. Honestly EJ accounts are great for PvP. There are no restrictions on character stats, skills, armor & weapons or equipment if you upgrade to ToL. You don't get powerscrolls, I didn't know about the stat scrolls. Regardless spawns need to be defended and EJ accounts are perfect for that. I believe it was really an attempt to get some of the tens of thousands of players from freeshards to play actively on EA's servers.

EJ accounts are pretty much useless for anything else due to the restrictions. EJ aren't being used to script farm resources. Talk about a waste of time for very little if any return. I can see PvM farming of Legendary Artifacts being the most profitable use of EJ accounts and multi-boxing being a major problem.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I can see PvM farming of Legendary Artifacts
The only things that are worth the trouble are Halos and some Talismans.

Everything drops mage armor. The only items that sell for 100M+ are PvP items that are clean and do not drop now.

There is a lot of blame thrown at EJ accounts by posters who do not currently play UO or have never tried to use one.

The players who do the most damage are sitting close enough to the PC to answer any questions.
Why do people think these are robots in a closet. They are players who can sit in their gaming station with Televisions and multiple set ups and play for hours.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well, most missed the point anyway.

Macroing in the house. That's who she's gonna crack down on. Has nothing to do with scripting anyway, at idocs or anywhere else. The people ev veryone wants actioned are NOT sitting in houses macroing lol. She;s just stirring the pot and trying to make it look like they are policing the game.

Tjalle

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Well, most missed the point anyway.

Macroing in the house. That's who she's gonna crack down on. Has nothing to do with scripting anyway, at idocs or anywhere else. The people ev veryone wants actioned are NOT sitting in houses macroing lol. She;s just stirring the pot and trying to make it look like they are policing the game.
While I hope they go after the bigger offenders as well, I don´t mind them busting some unattended house macroers along the way.
If someone is too lazy to raise skills the right way, they don´t deserve to have them...

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If someone is too lazy to raise skills the right way, they don´t deserve to have them...
I don't think it's about lazy. It's just mind mind numbingly boring. Sure some skills will gain as you play. Try doing that for remove trap and many others.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
It's not just lazy... but after working up every single skill in the game at least once... the 10th or 20th time you do it is dull as all get out... and pretty much after that you just want to /wrists... it's so boring...

And this comes from someone who's GM'd Begging 3 times at least... there's a skill that will drive you to drink while working... talk about dullsville... and unless you are using some cheat which I never did ... there is no macro setting for it. It's not difficulty based it gains by just continually begging... over and over and over again... Oh and it's timered so you can't just beg from the same NPC over and over no you have to wait for the time to wear off of them... so keep on moving... on to the next one and the next one and the next one... over and over till you just want to scream. Talk about wrist workouts... and BORING...

Rather annoying kinda like when you go out and try to lore some animals and the freaking thing takes a step when you are about to click it and you hit the ground instead... well guess what you started the timer now you gotta wait to try to lore it again ... *eyeroll*... it should NOT start the timer unless you actually targeted a valid target. So annoying that it does that.