• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS Ultima Online Newsletter #2

Lord Nabin

High Council Sage - Greater Sosaria
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
17 Solicitations
4 Multiboxing
66 Macroing
4 Disruptive Behavior
1 Naming Violation
35 Third Party Program.

Yeah right.
That is pretty interesting. Should have put in (which ones) lol

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I did notice that in the example the snow covers some rocks and bushes that are typically impossible to walk over. You wouldn't be able to see what is blocking you which might make travel more difficult in winter. Not sure if it's a feature or a bug.

Lord Nabin

Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
I did notice that in the example the snow covers some rocks and bushes that are typically impossible to walk over. You wouldn't be able to see what is blocking you which might make travel more difficult in winter. Not sure if it's a feature or a bug.
I saw that and thought, hmm wonder if you can place a house and then later it comes up improperly placed.

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I'm curious why they chose a capybara as a mount....not complaining! I have always wanted one irl they are SO CUTE!

But not sure how well it works as a mount.

Seasons are cool....hidden rocks might not be!

ToD is NOT long enough! But continuing events is very cool. Wanted that spellbook but I might just have to settle for the epps for my samp...not getting a lot of drops :(

Xris

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Great update on the dark forest...

Repost of a tree pic and vague explanation that tells you nothing on what to prepare for. Wow i cant wait...
Same for pvp. They will look into VvV.......its a turd, drop it altogether.

Sent from my SM-J337VPP using Tapatalk

Maximus Neximus

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
When you rewrite the code from scratch you are able to do many new things.
Absolutely agree. I think some, myself included, have fears that production shards will just be on cruise control with no major updates. Including the weather and climate universally would put a lot of people at ease for that. But to me, it reads as if it's potentially just a NL feature.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
"We were also asked to add more tamable mounts such as the Ossein Ram and Frost Mite. I've asked our artists to investigate whether we can accomplish this request with these creatures, and if everything looks good I'll let you know when you might be able to ride the mighty Ossein Ram or Frost Mite!"

This literally had me jumping for joy. The Ossein Ram as a rideable, kick ass. 120 Chiv+AI Ossein Rams are actually pretty powerful, especially with how they leech life upon damage dealt, and so are like a pet Sampire. Pet Training: Berserk is actually useful on them too, since their Life Leech bypasses the healing reduction of Berserk. My 120 Chiv+AI Ossein Ram has dealt 340+ damage AIs to Paragon Balrons while Berserk before, while healing 136+ from the same hit.
120 Chiv+AI Ossein Rams are actually flying under the radar right now.

Last edited:

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I would reckon the season changing system will be NL only. I imagine that just the new artwork required will be a ton of work in itself. Since NL will only have one facet, doing this for production shards would increase the amount of work by what? 5x? They did say that some of these new feature will make their way to the other shards, but I wouldn't hold my breath on this one.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I just hope that it isn't only for New Legacy
Well the newsletter is #2 so it is the second NL newsletter. The newsletter is divided into two sections, NL and Happening on Live. So if you read it using logic, which could be a mistake for a UO article, the seasons will only be in NL. Live gets Winter and not winter. But who knows.

I'm curious why they chose a capybara as a mount....not complaining! I have always wanted one irl they are SO CUTE!
Why did they choose a South American rodent? Why not a beaver, nutria, opossum, armadillo, squirrel, raccoon or a mountain lion etc.
Repost of a tree pic and vague explanation that tells you nothing on what to prepare for. Wow i cant wait...
They never describe any event in detail until it is on TC or live. But they gave more info like you asked for.

The frost mite is a Beetle on steroids that does 100% cold damage. I will drag mine out if it is a mount.
Because they die in 20 seconds if they fight anything difficult. They have woefully too few points for building.

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
how did that new mount/rodent pass the Q&A lol. if i see someone rides that thing in fel, they will be dismounted and that person will be killed lol. all in fun.

does EC get blocked by stuff like CC? heard with ec/pinco's you dont

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
"We were also asked to add more tamable mounts such as the Ossein Ram and Frost Mite. I've asked our artists to investigate whether we can accomplish this request with these creatures, and if everything looks good I'll let you know when you might be able to ride the mighty Ossein Ram or Frost Mite!"

This literally had me jumping for joy. The Ossein Ram as a rideable, kick ass. 120 Chiv+AI Ossein Rams are actually pretty powerful, especially with how they leech life upon damage dealt, and so are like a pet Sampire. Pet Training: Berserk is actually useful on them too, since their Life Leech bypasses the healing reduction of Berserk. My 120 Chiv+AI Ossein Ram has dealt 340+ damage AIs to Paragon Balrons while Berserk before, while healing 136+ from the same hit.
are you able to get necro and chiv on that pet?

Maximus Neximus

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well the newsletter is #2 so it is the second NL newsletter. The newsletter is divided into two sections, NL and Happening on Live. So if you read it using logic, which could be a mistake for a UO article, the seasons will only be in NL. Live gets Winter and not winter. But who knows.
Yeah but it also included the new ethy mount. I thought they said that items like that wouldn't be available on NL. Or is that just vet rewards?

Lord Nabin

Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
The new mount was a request from the Asian shard community. That was already talked about.

Good news. If you don't like it, no one is making you get it or ride it......

A lot of different groups make requests for things. Let's just be happy that things are being looked out and requests being fulfilled.

Great DC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Hmm my question at the meet and greet seemed to get past over!! I asked why fel deceit isnt open and got drug out of the question area by mesanna!

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The new mount was a request from the Asian shard community. That was already talked about.

Good news. If you don't like it, no one is making you get it or ride it......

A lot of different groups make requests for things. Let's just be happy that things are being looked out and requests being fulfilled.
They have to import rodents?

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yeah but it also included the new ethy mount. I thought they said that items like that wouldn't be available on NL. Or is that just vet rewards?
It's going to be a store Mount. It was on test center long time ago.

Meat Elemental

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
how did that new mount/rodent pass the Q&A lol. if i see someone rides that thing in fel, they will be dismounted and that person will be killed lol. all in fun.

does EC get blocked by stuff like CC? heard with ec/pinco's you dont
Ec with pincos or regular ec gets stuck on things to...

Sent from my SM-N986W using Tapatalk

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The frost mite is a Beetle on steroids that does 100% cold damage. I will drag mine out if it is a mount.
The 2 slot Frost Mite may be able to go up to 8,757 Intensity (as opposed to a Fire Beetle's 7,909), but it also has the useless Cold Wind though (which triggers a lot of spawn on Roof), which means they make less efficient use of RC+AI/AP than a Fire/Giant Beetle does. They also have incredibly high Cold Resist (few foes do considerable Cold damage), which detracts from how high you can bring their Energy Resist (a much more common element). They do have uses though against Cold weak foes, such as Virtuebane, Stygian Dragon, Rikktor, Semidar, and the 4th level Dragon Turtle spawn. Them being mountable is definitely welcome.

Because they die in 20 seconds if they fight anything difficult. They have woefully too few points for building.
You've never used them with Berserk i see. Berserk activates once they're below 50% Health, and it drastically reduces the damage (and magical/vet healing) they take, while ramping up their damage output. Their Life Leech still functions through it though, keeping them alive so long as they can land hits. I've used mine to tank Slasher of Veils before, and he usually pwns any pet. Against foes with super high Wrest/Parry (Travesty, Anon, and Dragon Turtle), they do have problems since they have to successfully land hits to leech.

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
strange.... i have been recieving the newsletters for year but i never received this one in my email.

JohnnyO

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Why did they choose a South American rodent? Why not a beaver, nutria, opossum, armadillo, squirrel, raccoon or a mountain lion etc.

They never describe any event in detail until it is on TC or live. But they gave more info like you asked for.

_113820021_beaver.png
Throw us Canadians a bone.:gee:

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

They added two ideas from a M&G to the backlog. Give them a break!

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
View attachment 113128
Throw us Canadians a bone.:gee:

I always hoped they would add Elephants (and we'd be able to use them as a land boat... having a group on them)... or a camel... which IMO makes FAR more sense than a South American rodent.

But then a Griffin would make even MORE sense... which would make a super awesome pet.

Cinderella

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Awards
strange.... i have been recieving the newsletters for year but i never received this one in my email.
I had this happen a couple months ago.
check your spam folder.
I'm not sure why, but mine went there then.
(a friend had theirs go there the month before that)

Cinderella

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Awards
I always hoped they would add Elephants (and we'd be able to use them as a land boat... having a group on them)... or a camel... which IMO makes FAR more sense than a South American rodent.

But then a Griffin would make even MORE sense... which would make a super awesome pet.
baby elephant would be cute.
I want a zebra!!!

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I would reckon the season changing system will be NL only. I imagine that just the new artwork required will be a ton of work in itself. Since NL will only have one facet, doing this for production shards would increase the amount of work by what? 5x? They did say that some of these new feature will make their way to the other shards, but I wouldn't hold my breath on this one.
There is also the possibility that the NL shard will be a test run on completely re-writing the code on all the shards (to see if they can feasibly do it) so it could potentially extend to them at a later date. just something I have been thinking about.

Lord Nabin

Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
There is also the possibility that the NL shard will be a test run on completely re-writing the code on all the shards (to see if they can feasibly do it) so it could potentially extend to them at a later date. just something I have been thinking about.
Now this is what I have been talking about.

Wrap your heads around that one folks

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I wouldn't hold my breath for that either.

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If you think about it Pete, we as a group have been asking them to "update the old systems" and saying "if you can't fix the Spaghetti code, just rewrite it from scratch" What better way to test your ability to do that than by creating a one facet world and then doing a year long test of it.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Exactly what I keep thinking... I gave up thinking anything good will come anymore... Like my dream that the graphics will ever get updated. Had hopes for awhile... but they have long died.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
The free shard I'm on has rideable griffins and rideable zebras. Both are also available as 0 slot ethys so they are possible to do. I posted a screenshot in Unleashed.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If you think about it Pete, we as a group have been asking them to "update the old systems" and saying "if you can't fix the Spaghetti code, just rewrite it from scratch" What better way to test your ability to do that than by creating a one facet world and then doing a year long test of it.
If they were indeed working on a full rework of the server side, they would be talking about core systems like replicating housing or fighting mechanics, gardening, tmaps, vvv, etc etc. It usually takes them half a year to redo a single of those systems. That they showed a preview of the new seasons indicates they are still adding on what's already there rather than working on a completely new foundation.