• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Ultima Online, how do players play it ?

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Out of curiosity, on average, how do players play Ultima Online ?

Trying to squeeze as much activity they can in the time they can play it, or more relaxedly, taking it easy, enjoying the ride so to speak ?

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
We play for a couple minutes, then log into Stratics to complain. Wasn't that obvious? :p

BajaElladan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hail Folks,

Back in 1997 when I began virtual life in Sosaria it was 2 to 4 hours evenings and 8 to 14 hour sessions on weekends. Number of evenings per week varied and the same was true on weekends and holidays.

Sometimes sessions were shorter, sometimes longer. Once I retired it became more usual to play every day for varying number of hours.

Occasionally I take a week or 3 off, sometimes by choice, more often due to clinical depression.

I prefer to create unique roles for each of my characters. I prefer to remain "in character" but will interact out of character as needed or preferred by others I encounter.

Lord Elladan of Trinsic
Legendary Paladin of The One

R

RavenWinterHawk

I actually play stratics and go to UO once and a while.

L

Lord Urza

Alot of days i just wander about might fight 1 or 2 things. Some days i might log in at a spot, fight untill iv had my fill of it then log out there again.

F

Fat Lip

I usually like hunting tough monsters (either solo or in a group) for a good 3-5 hours. I like the feeling of killing a really strong monster then taking its loot. But for a while now, I've been logging on twice a day for about an hour or so to train my characters.

So boring...

Coldren

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't have a lot of free time these days, so I've mostly been filling BoD's. Since I do my own mining, and since I've been collecting them for a LONG time and never filling them, I've collected over 300 or so of both Tailoring and Smithing BoD's.

On the weekends I might do some hunting for mats for imbuing when I can.. Man, is my armor bad.. And my Soul Seeker is a bit outdated.. Maybe I'll spend a few weeks building something better..

All and all, I spend a lot of time in Trinsic, mining in various Fel locations, and the Painted Caves for maybe about 10 hours a week.

*Sigh* Stupid real life...

ohmyGED

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Typically causing shenanighans around Sosaria by being a villian.

*looks around for prey*

:D

Serafi

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I do things in streaks. Right now most of my playtime is spent treasure hunting. But I have periods of bod collecting and turn-ins, decorating, shopping and then more decorating, crafting and imbuing, hunting in groups or solo, training pets, training various skills, fishing, then more shopping and decorating etc etc etc.

It all depends on how much time I have to play during a week. I`m a housesitter when I have little time, and a hunter with more.

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
hehe I love the quips!!

Well in 97 my smart azz nephew was going into the marines and I had been in a funk after the deaths of 3 in a row of my family I was the caregiver to. He hatched a plan with my son and got me talked into taking his beta player fishing. My new computer in tow I started to fish..... got him to gm too.

I had tons of free time, so was easy to get on and do it. Sometimes for 1 to 4 hours strait. Others, 10 minutes at a time on my new account. Became a very good player pvp and all that. Made tons of friends all over the world. AT one sitting once I did 18 hours hehe to see if I could, yup an I didnt realize I had done it too. Time flys when your engrossed in your work.

I'm retired now due to health reasons and find I cant sit at the comp for too long hour or 2 at the max before I need to move about.

I have more than the average player in accounts and well as one friend said the player with the most toys in uo at the end wins. I guess if uo died today I'd be up there in the top 10. I love to play my tamers, guess im just wanting a real dragon. My t hunters are my love of tinkering with exploding boxes(I still love to pop chests!) My crafters again the hunt for that one frostwood tree!!!!! My fishers .... I still love to go out on the boat on a lazy sunday and kick some sea slug tush... its relaxing and fun. Bods... a term in its self a game of hide and seek with mats! My bards ... its cool to make music. So much to do, so little time.......

Cal_Mythic add some new bods, tinkers and carpenter ones would be nice hehe a great way to get rid of all those spyglasses no one will buy... call me I give you ideas for gifts for it. hehe

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I play for fun. So it really differs depending on what I feel like doing on a particular day.

Willard

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am retired so I have lots of time to play. I try to log each character and play according to their skill set. I make myself run, bike ride, kayak, hike and/or workout at least 1/4 as much as I play each day or I would end up being too huge to do anything else...lol I think balance makes the game more fun both in and out of UO. After playing for almost 10 years with only a one year break to travel, I still find that I enjoy playing as much now as I did when I started. I try not to take anything too seriously and find helping other people in game is much fun as all the other stuff you can do.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My play is guided by the mood I'm in when I log in. From puttering about the house, contemplating, but not really doing much redecorating, to going out hunting somthing tough.

That's the magic of this game. You can play bank sitter or sheepherder :grouphug: at the real laid back end of things, or play the mega-homicidal in Fel if the day at work has been an absolute 'Bleep!" :bdh:

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Typically I play on my computer... that's how most folk do it. Sit down boot up the pc bring up UO the EC and log in..

Now what I do after I log in depends on what day of the week it is.

Monday: Get ready for either Tavern Night or High Council.

Tuesday: Go to the GL's EM event... have a GREAT time.

Wednesday: Go to one of Ra'Dians Virtue talks or have Britannian Armed Forces (BAF) Training.

Thursday: Generally used to log in and out all of my 50+ Characters on GL's and get my .1 gain in whatever skill they are working for the week. Later if I remember go to the Night Wolves of Justice guildmeeting (I forget this a lot).

Friday: This is generally my day off of work so I spend the day either shopping in UO, redesigning one of my 8 homes in UO, or working on some event planning. Sometimes working on skills.

Saturday: I try really hard to spend Saturday working on skills and then cleaning up my UO homes... sorting rearranging sorting some more... sometimes crafting... but generally it's "Me" time when I'm not doing RP or or anything unless of course there is some EM event to attend... or sometimes getting together with friends and doing a few hunts...

Sunday: Day of UO Rest... I don't play on Sunday... no not because I'm highly religious but usually I'm at work all day.

Anytime I get the opportunity I'm promoting RP, working on RP plots or generally role-playing somewhere.

N

Novak(Caci)

Most time 90 percentage i play pvp in uo.5 percentage
im bank sitter and heliping noobs and tha last 5 persetnage i go with guild on raids to kills chiefmobs.

F

Fink

My basic rule is if I see a gate open, I drop what I'm doing and hop through it.

I play for adventure, which can be either hectic or relaxed, depending on what's happening at the time. Sometimes I like to grab UO and wring its neck. Other times I just put a little pressure on its throat with my thumbs and make it vaguely uncomfortable.

Mapper

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I generally have a wave of playing, I play for ages until my house fills up of crap, Then I play infrequently until I have the willpower to clean the house. Then I start again...

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Very carefully. *nods*

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
pvping

and hammer out new chars, imbuing suits, making supplies inbetween.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Typically I play on my computer... that's how most folk do it. Sit down boot up the pc bring up UO the EC and log in..

Now what I do after I log in depends on what day of the week it is.

Monday: Get ready for either Tavern Night or High Council.

Tuesday: Go to the GL's EM event... have a GREAT time.

Wednesday: Go to one of Ra'Dians Virtue talks or have Britannian Armed Forces (BAF) Training.

Thursday: Generally used to log in and out all of my 50+ Characters on GL's and get my .1 gain in whatever skill they are working for the week. Later if I remember go to the Night Wolves of Justice guildmeeting (I forget this a lot).

Friday: This is generally my day off of work so I spend the day either shopping in UO, redesigning one of my 8 homes in UO, or working on some event planning. Sometimes working on skills.

Saturday: I try really hard to spend Saturday working on skills and then cleaning up my UO homes... sorting rearranging sorting some more... sometimes crafting... but generally it's "Me" time when I'm not doing RP or or anything unless of course there is some EM event to attend... or sometimes getting together with friends and doing a few hunts...

Sunday: Day of UO Rest... I don't play on Sunday... no not because I'm highly religious but usually I'm at work all day.

Anytime I get the opportunity I'm promoting RP, working on RP plots or generally role-playing somewhere.

I must say, i find it slightly entertaining that you have a calendar of events for your "uo life" for the week. Your uo schedule is more detailed than most peoples RL schedule. I guess i tend to be more on the fly by the seat of my pants schedule.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I play each day because of growing plants, which accounts for most of my playtime. Every third day I refill 15-18 kegs of poison & cures for plants.

The bulk of my other play during the week will be training my three still low-skilled characters, normally by playing the game, instead of blankly thudding away at some repetitous brain-numbing training action. Mostly by hunting.

The rest of my time in game tends to be foraging for resources. I tossed a bunch of them into the Library Quest thing for an Alchemy Talisman a couple of times.

Sounds boring put like that, doesn't it. :)

J

Jesara

I figure I play in a rather common way..
Otherwise collect resources, do crafts, fill kegs, etc. There is always alot to do!

T

Trevelyan

Usually I sort stuff, attend EM events, do IDOCs or do whatever latest thing is cool (right now, t-maps).

Also sometimes train useless skills and try and adjust my scope for what to collect (at what point do I stop collecting roses, do I collect one of every statue name and facing and colour or just names? etc)

SixUnder

Legendary Assassin
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hail Folks,

Back in 1997 when I began virtual life in Sosaria it was 2 to 4 hours evenings and 8 to 14 hour sessions on weekends. Number of evenings per week varied and the same was true on weekends and holidays.

Sometimes sessions were shorter, sometimes longer. Once I retired it became more usual to play every day for varying number of hours.

Occasionally I take a week or 3 off, sometimes by choice, more often due to clinical depression.

I prefer to create unique roles for each of my characters. I prefer to remain "in character" but will interact out of character as needed or preferred by others I encounter.

Lord Elladan of Trinsic
Legendary Paladin of The One
except for the in and out of character this was me too. after beta was released i drew blood on somebody and i cant stop....157 months later :>

Alezi

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Out of curiosity, on average, how do players play Ultima Online ?

Trying to squeeze as much activity they can in the time they can play it, or more relaxedly, taking it easy, enjoying the ride so to speak ?
Trying to kill as many players as possible.

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I don't anymore. I just can't make myself play with either client, both are just not good to look at for me. Has to be a few weeks now since I last logged on.