• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Two questions about veteran player rewards

gortman

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok, so I came back to UO after about nine years' absence and have (I think) five veteran rewards to claim.

Question 1: Can any character under my account claim the rewards, even a newly created one? Or do I have to wait until that character isn't considered new anymore (how long is that, anyway?)?

Question 2: Which rewards do veterans feel are the most worthwhile? I can imagine the red soulstone is an obvious choice, but what about some of the others, like the cloaks with resist?

Thanks!

T

Tazar

Any character on the account can claim and use the rewards.

As far as "most liked" it will depend on if you are using them - or if you are selling them. Also, it will depend on what year you are able to claim through.

I think the most valuable is the house teleporter.

Followed by the Soulstone (these are account bound so are not sellable - but valued at normal sale price.

Also, the commodity deed box and crystal portal seem to sell well.

The rest is relatively cheap - or simply deco items. For the cheap stuff, I'd claim the commodity box or crystal portal - sell it - then buy lots of the other items.

Hope that helps some.

gortman

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As far as "most liked" it will depend on if you are using them - or if you are selling them. Also, it will depend on what year you are able to claim through.
Thanks Tazar, that helps alot. I think my account is at the 36 - 47 month level - so the group of rewards up to and including the horse, llama, or ostard ethereal mounts.

Does anyone find the ethereal mounts useful?

Schuyler Bain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Thanks Tazar, that helps alot. I think my account is at the 36 - 47 month level - so the group of rewards up to and including the horse, llama, or ostard ethereal mounts.

Does anyone find the ethereal mounts useful?
I agree with what Tazar posted. The crystal portal is a 1st year reward and very useful and as Tazar said seem to sell fairly well as they are new so the market has not been flooded with them yet. As for the Ethereal mounts, thanks to the new 11th year "retouch/re-hue tool", they have become more popular. This tool will turn the ethereal mount into a normal (not see-through) mount with all the same benefits of a normal ethereal. This is very popular with Role Players as well as others. You have to find someone with the tool to change the mount over, but this is fairly easy to do. I would say the horse would be the most popular and could fetch a few million each depending on the shard you are on.

N

Nenime

I have read that the etheral Ki-rin and etheral Unicorn do not have the gender based restrictions, that they are ridable by anyone. Is this still the case when they are retouched/rehued?

Schuyler Bain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I have read that the etheral Ki-rin and etheral Unicorn do not have the gender based restrictions, that they are ridable by anyone. Is this still the case when they are retouched/rehued?
Yes, it is true. The only thing that changes is the "color" of the mount. You cannot choose the color, but it has a default for each type. When you mouse over an ethereal mount you will see if it is colored or not and they can be switched back and fourth with the tool as often as you wish.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
If you're 84 months, the tree stump rewards are desired by crafters who don't want to buy their own frostwood. Granted, only 10 random logs each day, but I personally have 3 stumps, and they produce sufficient colored wood of the hard-to-find varieties for my use.

N

Nenime

I'd recommend to choose:

• Ethereal Mount
  • Soulstones
But... a Charger of the Fallen, which I thought is similar to a Etheral Mount, and Soulstones are also available through UO's Game Code Store (Legacy Token). Maybe he should save the reward charges for future, more valuable choices?

Does etheral mounts have any upside a Charger o.t.F. doesn't have?

Schuyler Bain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
But... a Charger of the Fallen, which I thought is similar to a Etheral Mount, and Soulstones are also available through UO's Game Code Store (Legacy Token). Maybe he should save the reward charges for future, more valuable choices?

Does etheral mounts have any upside a Charger o.t.F. doesn't have?
The Charger of the Fallen is just like any Ethereal mount, but much harder to come by these days. Besides, personally and I know I am not alone, I feel the Charger of the Fallen is ugly especially in the Enhanced Client. Of course the retouch tool will make the Charger of the Fallen "ethereal looking" if you wish. There are people that do not purchase items from the online store for many different reasons.

Perhaps the OP is looking for ways to increase their bank box so holding those reward choices doesn't really help. Since they are about middle of the road (in terms of account age) the choices available to them as time goes on may be worth less than now because so many more will have entered the game.

gortman

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks to everyone for all the good info. By the way, can you select more than one of an item? For example, could I pick two red soulstones? Think I might save the charges (good suggestion!) but I'm curious.

Thanks again!

B

Beer_Cayse

You may choose multiples of any item ... If you have 3 gifts available, certainly take 3 soulstones if that floats your boat.

I'll tell you tho ... the commodity deed box is a good one for the house.

gortman

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You may choose multiples of any item ... If you have 3 gifts available, certainly take 3 soulstones if that floats your boat.

I'll tell you tho ... the commodity deed box is a good one for the house.
Thanks for the info. I'm a long way from owning a house but when I get one, I'll probably grab the deed box reward.

B

Beer_Cayse

You can grab earlier Vet rewards in following years ... so no need to do it now. Example: a 3rd year Vet can pick 1 reward (assuming all prior ones are used). That reward can be a 1st, 2nd or 3rd year item.

Hildebrand

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I always redeemed full soulstones (I could never have enough). But now that we can craft soulstone fragments (5 uses each) and you can swap skills in and out without timers, I'm second guessing.
The lesser ethereal mounts can be bought, and then sold when you later want your polar bear or other high end ethereal. I kinda like the high end ethereals since they are sort of a "show" of your vet status.

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks for the info. I'm a long way from owning a house but when I get one, I'll probably grab the deed box reward.
For home owners who have crafters the deed box is a godsend. Makes working skills at home much easier. I have one for each of my houses.

My other favorites when it comes to vet rewards are the crystal portal, ethereal mounts, and the tree stump that produces wood.

Also, not to derail your thread, but what shard do you play? I'm sure there is someone who could hook you up with a place on your shard if you need one. I know of a few places if Cats is your shard. Just a few months ago I was able to help someone just returning from a break to place a large tower.

gortman

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For home owners who have crafters the deed box is a godsend. Makes working skills at home much easier. I have one for each of my houses.

My other favorites when it comes to vet rewards are the crystal portal, ethereal mounts, and the tree stump that produces wood.

Also, not to derail your thread, but what shard do you play? I'm sure there is someone who could hook you up with a place on your shard if you need one. I know of a few places if Cats is your shard. Just a few months ago I was able to help someone just returning from a break to place a large tower.
I play on Lake Austin. Guess I can head over to the LA shard forum and put out some feelers.

Thanks Black Sun!