• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Tech Twitter: Good or Bad?

Arcus

Grand Poobah
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Two things that have cost 100's of thousands of jobs... are Satanistic.....
Ahh yes, lets look at one side of the picture why dont we. How about you tell me how many jobs/companies and careers exist becuase of Twitter / Facebook etc. Things change. As far a Satanistic I really hope you are kidding. They have 0 mentions of Satan or any other such fairytale character at all yet UO has demons an pentagrams. Your view on things is very disconcerting.

Ludes

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Gee I never had any problem with Facebook.. all my family is on it and thats how we stay in touch.. plus I've met some really cool people there.. One of my Facebook "friends" is Scott Adams.. the guy who wrote all those cool text adventures back in the day...

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ahh yes, lets look at one side of the picture why dont we. How about you tell me how many jobs/companies and careers exist becuase of Twitter / Facebook etc. Things change. As far a Satanistic I really hope you are kidding. They have 0 mentions of Satan or any other such fairytale character at all yet UO has demons an pentagrams. Your view on things is very disconcerting.
Don't forget how many lives have also been saved when extreme weather warnings along with other emergency services are published using Facebook and Twitter. They also tested out some advanced earthquake warning test using twitter before.

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
NO sure can't. Again another reason to loathe Facebook. You have to be a member to win... Which will mean I will never win. I will NEVER subscribe to facebook or twitter. Two things that have cost 100's of thousands of jobs... are Satanistic.... and in my opinion are FAR too popular. That's fine if you want them making profit off everything you do on the internet... and selling you to every bidder.... but me... I don't want them selling me.

Just irks me that this sort of thing is accepted and promoted. Force players to participate in yet another outside program to "win" stuff otherwise never win stuff. I play UO... I don't do twitter or facebook ..... and I never will... yet it angers me that more and more often companies use twitter and facebook to give rewards and prizes to their players without any regard to promoting something so vile.

You never saw folk trying to make you win something by making you join ICQ...... or Ventrilo..... I pay to play UO.... that should be enough. I shouldn't have to sell my soul to Satan and join Facebook to win something in UO.
Hiya!
Please remember that my job is "social media" it means tailoring to those who do enjoy using social media sites. Not everyone has to participate. My job is to try to gain interest in our game (and other games Stratics supports) by posting about it on social media sites. Since I thought our present Stratics users would enjoy the opportunity to participate should they also have social media accounts I wanted them to be informed as well that there is a prize to be won. It's nothing earth shattering. It's a good prize I myself wouldn't mind winning (*crosses fingers*). Posting here was my way of making sure our core community had a chance to win if they desired.
Please realize I would never ask anyone who was uncomfortable with the idea to make an account, although I have nudged some of my friends in that direction. (It's more fun than you realize until you get there)
If this contest is not for you, I respect that, but please respect the others who are having fun and not call it "Satanistic". I respect your position. Please remember no one is forcing anyone to participate, and there will be lots of contests held specifically for forum users by our Community Manager for UO specifically. And that is @Lady Tia

My job is to maybe get a few people off of social media interested in giving us a try. :)

Reactions: Nok

Promathia

Social Distancing Since '97
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
NO sure can't. Again another reason to loathe Facebook. You have to be a member to win... Which will mean I will never win. I will NEVER subscribe to facebook or twitter. Two things that have cost 100's of thousands of jobs... are Satanistic.... and in my opinion are FAR too popular. That's fine if you want them making profit off everything you do on the internet... and selling you to every bidder.... but me... I don't want them selling me.

Just irks me that this sort of thing is accepted and promoted. Force players to participate in yet another outside program to "win" stuff otherwise never win stuff. I play UO... I don't do twitter or facebook ..... and I never will... yet it angers me that more and more often companies use twitter and facebook to give rewards and prizes to their players without any regard to promoting something so vile.

You never saw folk trying to make you win something by making you join ICQ...... or Ventrilo..... I pay to play UO.... that should be enough. I shouldn't have to sell my soul to Satan and join Facebook to win something in UO.

May I ask what is in your drinking water? What is this world I'm living in?!

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I am not kidding.... and I have seen way more careers lost and jobs taken away because of Twitter and Facebook as well as Ebay and other such things. And both in my opinion are WAY TOO Big Brother ish...... I don't want anyone jacking around in what I do on the internet. And I don't like lining the pockets of a very small select few at the cost of 100's of folk losing incomes.

Used to be you could "work from home" and get a good supplemental income by doing surveys.... Infact you could do this LONG before the internet... now NO ONE gets "paid" to do them.... Why? Because Facebook and Twitter will sell every like you like and every website you go to to every big brother company out there that pays them...... They will sell your information based on who you are how old you are where you live what you tweeted or how many "friends" you have etc..... Meanwhile they RAKE in the cash..... and tons of folk are out of an income. Then they turn around and market that crap to you and change how you can look at the internet by making it want to sell you ****..... Now not only are you out an income but you are also being subjected to ads everywhere you go specifically targeted to YOU.

You may like having them sell you out but I don't...

And if that's not satanistic I don't know what is. May as well start barcoding everyone and put chips in you so they can track where you are every min of the day and see exactly where you go and what you do. We are getting closer and closer to that everyday. By allowing that kind of invasion of privacy you are allowing them to start thinking of more ways they can control you. You may think that might sound a bit paranoid but quite honestly it IS what I see in the future. And I know I'm not alone.

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Seemed like a good discussion, so didn't want to close it. You may discuss the merits of social media here. Thanks!

Lady Michelle

Sprite Full SP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I don't have a twitter or face book accounts either. months and months go by b4 I even remember my email. Stratics is my online social media that I really have anytime for. I'd rather watch read stratics, watch shows, or movies, play online games.

Lady Michelle

Sprite Full SP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Gee I never had any problem with Facebook.. all my family is on it and thats how we stay in touch.. plus I've met some really cool people there.. One of my Facebook "friends" is Scott Adams.. the guy who wrote all those cool text adventures back in the day...
That is great for you I see things differently
My brother and sisters face book they always trying to get me to sign up. My favorite one is your missing out on all of us getting together. We are together now so I'm really not missing out on much.
I see them practically everyday why would I want to make myself suffer online to.

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
I have to say I do enjoy facebook. Most of my family is on there. Since hurricane Katrina what used to be a very local close-knit group is all across the country now. Family reunions once a year aren't enough for a group that got together every weekend. At least this way we can share a smile or family news and cover everyone at once.
Not to mention I am hilarious and entertaining as hell for all of my friends!!!

Twitter for me is simply a challenge. I like the interaction between people. I've never been the shy type so it helps me to express myself. I also run a blog (although not as often as I should). So yes a bit narcissistic too...

As far as the conversation about the ads and whatnot, I run adblock and never see an ad for anything. Clear my cookies often enough. It's no big secret where I live or who I am in real life, so I guess I am a little less afraid of the online idea. Hell I use a card at the grocery store for discounts so there's a record of everything I buy. Hell my Mom is on my card so there's everything she buys. Damn I even have a card at my pharmacy so whoever it is knows all my drugs too!!

Hmm I guess I don't care. Let 'em know. I don't think I am important enough for anyone to take notice of.

AirmidCecht

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I keep all of my social media accounts focused on my gaming activities. Sure, it has personal touches here and there but it's the community I most reach out to. Google+ is the only outlet I'm not too active in, mostly because Google already gets my email and my youtoobs. A girl's gotta have a little mystery ;)

Facebook is great for a timeline of what new games are out with details, shared pictures and updates on friends, old and new. Without Facebook I would have lost touch with many an old guildmate that moved along but I can catch up to in the new game they are playing and just posted about!

Twitter is probably my favorite. You have 140 characters to say what you gotta say, link or reply to. Love. When I first started my Twitter account, I was like, "but I have nothing profound to say!" Then I read the feed and realized, "Okay, so neither do they!" :D It's a great social tool to get a quick word out and recently has shown itself very valuable with fast news of what is going on around this messed up planet.

Wait, do I want to know that? I guess I do.

I'm also on LinkedIn, Instagram, Tumbler and Pinterest but not as actively.

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There was a white paper published last year about Facebook and Twitter. A professor was able to predict with greater than 90% accuracy personal information about a user, just based on likes, friends, tweets and other innocuous information. Those predictions included:
Location - including state and city
Political affiliations
Social class
Income
Education
And more, but I forgot the rest.

All that was just based on associations and re-tweets. That may be safe and harmless for some, but it's too big-brotherish for me.

Fortune tellers and psychics can do the same thing. Everything is mathematical and based on guesses.

The true issue here that the player base, most of it anyway, has issues with Facebook and Twitter. I don't now it it is age or paranoia. The government already ha your info and know what you do and don't do lol You can make a dummy account for Facebook and Twitter without giving any of your real info out.

I am glad that Taylor is thinking outside of the box and using social media.

Nok

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just to add on here. Privacy ended about 60 years ago, when the federal & state governments, financial institutions, and retailers started with the UNIVAC... and moved onto other mainframes and minis. Machines from Sperry Rand, IBM, Unisys, Electronic Data Systems (EDS), Computer Sciences Corporation and of course "BUNCH" (Burroughs, Univac, NCR, Control Data, and Honeywell). What were they doing with these systems? Today we call it data mining.

If you walk into a 7-11 and buy a Slurpee with cash, no... that purchase isn't tracked, but you will be on camera. But you walk into your local water utility to pay the bill, even with cash (if they take cash)... it is tracked. Your SSA card, driver's license, voting selections, census answers, credit/debit card transactions, what you bought, what you financed, banking signature card, online activity, what you listen to and watch, even where you drive your car (if it is a '96 or newer) can and is tracked.

No, the government doesn't sell your information... but they know which hand you wipe with. The banks, credit card companies, and retailers... yes, they sell your information. Have been for many decades to mass mailers and telemarketers. To business so they know what to produce and how to market it to you. How to market and advertise it.

Now big tech companies are doing the same thing. Is big tech getting more info? Not really, because they share it with the same people who've always been collecting it... they are just doing it faster, cheaper, and more efficiently. Are bad guys taking advantage of this? Certainly, but the bad guys aren't new either... and the good guys know that.

Nothing wrong with choosing not to use social media, it is a legitimate personal choice. But believing that not using social media protects your privacy while still using the Internet and web... is mistaken. The same type of search bots that spider social media... are also spidering Stratics, and every single site on the net that you visit. Every site you go to tracks you and sites you've been to with cookies, your ISP tracks where you go, logs your IP and MAC address.

So long as you function in life, not just on the net... you're a known quantity. You can't stop it, but you can learn to use control settings in sites and services to minimize the risks.