• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Don't Forget! You can win an Undertaker's Staff!!!

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
NO sure can't. Again another reason to loathe Facebook. You have to be a member to win... Which will mean I will never win. I will NEVER subscribe to facebook or twitter. Two things that have cost 100's of thousands of jobs... are Satanistic.... and in my opinion are FAR too popular. That's fine if you want them making profit off everything you do on the internet... and selling you to every bidder.... but me... I don't want them selling me.

Just irks me that this sort of thing is accepted and promoted. Force players to participate in yet another outside program to "win" stuff otherwise never win stuff. I play UO... I don't do twitter or facebook ..... and I never will... yet it angers me that more and more often companies use twitter and facebook to give rewards and prizes to their players without any regard to promoting something so vile.

You never saw folk trying to make you win something by making you join ICQ...... or Ventrilo..... I pay to play UO.... that should be enough. I shouldn't have to sell my soul to Satan and join Facebook to win something in UO.

Winter

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
I'm not quite so sure about the lost jobs and Satanism... but, Facebook and Twitter are huge security issues for me, constantly changing privacy rules and selling your personal information. I won't sign up for either.

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Twitter is safe and harmless unless you post something that you shouldn't. Just common sense after all. Just never post anything when you are mad or be ashamed of :p

#Taylorpwnzsuits

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
That's certainly understandable. We also host giveaways on the forums occasionally, so perhaps that'll be more up your alley. :)

AirmidCecht

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
NO sure can't. Again another reason to loathe Facebook. You have to be a member to win... Which will mean I will never win. I will NEVER subscribe to facebook or twitter. Two things that have cost 100's of thousands of jobs... are Satanistic.... and in my opinion are FAR too popular. That's fine if you want them making profit off everything you do on the internet... and selling you to every bidder.... but me... I don't want them selling me.

Just irks me that this sort of thing is accepted and promoted. Force players to participate in yet another outside program to "win" stuff otherwise never win stuff. I play UO... I don't do twitter or facebook ..... and I never will... yet it angers me that more and more often companies use twitter and facebook to give rewards and prizes to their players without any regard to promoting something so vile.

You never saw folk trying to make you win something by making you join ICQ...... or Ventrilo..... I pay to play UO.... that should be enough. I shouldn't have to sell my soul to Satan and join Facebook to win something in UO.
Totally get it, MalagAste but we also do lots of contests in game and on the forums. This is another avenue that Stratics has focused on to build its brand because we realize that marketing has gone outside of forums for recognition. To build that audience you go where they are and that happens to include social media sites like Facebook, Twitter and Google+. You can view almost all of these without participating but you'll notice even with the hangout last night, to comment anymore you need to have a G+ account.

I like that UO has been updating their Facebook page because they are reaching a community of over 24k followers that have liked their page. That's a pretty big community to highlight that your brand (UO) is still kicking.

I didn't want you to feel as if you weren't heard. We'll be doing more forum and in game contests in the near future to keep those weary of social media in mind as still a very important part of UO and Stratics. :)

Winter

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Twitter is safe and harmless unless you post something that you shouldn't. Just common sense after all. Just never post anything when you are mad or be ashamed of :p

#Taylorpwnzsuits
There was a white paper published last year about Facebook and Twitter. A professor was able to predict with greater than 90% accuracy personal information about a user, just based on likes, friends, tweets and other innocuous information. Those predictions included:
Location - including state and city
Political affiliations
Social class
Income
Education
And more, but I forgot the rest.

All that was just based on associations and re-tweets. That may be safe and harmless for some, but it's too big-brotherish for me.

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Understood. This is a contest for the 645 million people who use Twitter. Some people don't use Twitter for various reasons, which is completely understandable. Other contests have been and will continue to be held for people who don't use it.

The discussion on the dangerous of Twitter/Facebook is interesting and is best continued in our Off Topic forums: http://stratics.com/community/forums/off-topic.595/. Thanks!

Winter

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Understood, Taylor. I'm just saying there are legitimate reasons for some to avoid Facebook and Twitter.

I like your solution for providing alternate contests on Stratics, so personally don't have a problem with your Facebook and Twitter contests.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Don't forget you can sign up to these social networks without sharing any "real" information. You can also use them to simply view content that interests you without having to follow or subscribe to anything.

I LOVE twitter but I'm not so keen on Facebook. I have them both because it's nice and easy to keep up to date with things that interest me. In this case UO.

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
See social media link above. UHall is for teh UO. :D

Nyses

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Understood. This is a contest for the 645 million people who use Twitter. Some people don't use Twitter for various reasons, which is completely understandable. Other contests have been and will continue to be held for people who don't use it.

The discussion on the dangerous of Twitter/Facebook is interesting and is best continued in our Off Topic forums: http://stratics.com/community/forums/off-topic.595/. Thanks!
Actually, you would need to cut that number back to just the few dozen or few hundred that use twitter and use stratics and play UO. I do not think that you will gain any new stratics users because of a UO/twitter contest. But, I do like the "thinking outside the box" and the effort.