• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Twelve Days of Siegemas

Hoffs

Gilfane Keeper of the Hall
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So, I was thinking of organizing a promotional series of events for Siege, provisionally entitled “The Twelve Days of Siegemas”. The idea is to have an event on every day from the 13th to 24th of December inclusive. Some events would be aimed at established players and others would be suitable for newcomers, and hopefully the whole thing would generate a bit of publicity for the shard.

The provisional schedule at this point is:

13th - Meet and greet event for new/potential Siege players
14th - Chompathon - Dragon tournament
15th - Miss Siege 2012
16th - Ironman Challenge II
17th -
18th -
19th - Archeus Magnus - alchemist contest
20th -
21st - Werewolf
22nd - Champ Crawl
23rd - Duelling tournament
24th -

Before committing to this though, the questions I have for the community are:

a) Would the PK guilds respect the Champ Crawl this time, keeping in mind that it is a public event for the benefit of newbs?

b) Would any PvPer be willing to run the duelling tournament?

c) Although I can think of other small events to fill in the blanks, does anyone have something they would be willing to put on in the empty days?

d) Any suggestions for Christmas Eve? Presumably there will not be many folk around anyway.

Leather Lucy

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
First thought that came to mind for Christmas Eve would be a drunken prezzy hunt (no idea why all my ideas start with the word 'drunken' *hic*). Anyway, I'm not sure what you guys had in mind for prizes and such but if you get some ideas, please leave a list and folks can see if they can help out. I'll start the ball rolling by offering a few sets of Slayer Spellbooks (18 to the set). I'll be able to donate a few sets so please say if you want some and where I can drop them off.

Cheers,

Mollie

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I do not know if I will be able to help with/attend any of the events, but I will try. I also have a few White nets (i am thinking 5 or 6) I'd be willing to donate for some fun on one of the blank days.

Rumpy

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
a) Would the PK guilds respect the Champ Crawl this time, keeping in mind that it is a public event for the benefit of newbs?

Nope. Welcome to Siege where you are safe no where. Not even events. The amount of NEW people is pretty null as well.

Hoffs

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nope. Welcome to Siege where you are safe no where. Not even events. The amount of NEW people is pretty null as well.
Okay, that's pretty much what I expected. Thanks for the help in trying to build the population. I'll just stick to the events that are already planned.

Adrianas

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Okay, that's pretty much what I expected. Thanks for the help in trying to build the population. I'll just stick to the events that are already planned.
As this thread appears to be in the early discussion phase, I will not yet post this up as "News" to our main news page. But as soon as you feel the framework is settled, please let me know Hoffs and I will post up the final info!

*likes to believe that some players scan the news listed on all the shards on a fairly regular basis*

Hoffs

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As this thread appears to be in the early discussion phase, I will not yet post this up as "News" to our main news page. But as soon as you feel the framework is settled, please let me know Hoffs and I will post up the final info!

*likes to believe that some players scan the news listed on all the shards on a fairly regular basis*
The discussion is ended. I'll just stick to Miss Siege, Archeus Magnus and Werewolf, which are already scheduled. For a forlorn moment I thought that everyone may be willing to cooperate for the good of the shard. Mea culpa.

Rumpy

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Your welcome. If people can't handle dying, then they don't belong anyways.

Nico666

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Hoarding helps the population. Another example of hoarding that helps the population is to only sell items to guildmates. But who is really keeping track, aye?

This message was only directed towards the people that actually do this.

Last edited:

Nico666

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
So having an event where nobody will die is going to help build the community? Is that what SP has become? If new people cannot handle dying then SP is not the shard for them. Let's pretend in a perfect world that this event went smoothly and not a single new person died, then what would happen when they are out farming and got killed would they quit then? Or should PK's not kill the new people when they farm, either? Do you not understand that turning SP into trammel with not help SP or UO in general?

You either like SP or you don't for all the good/bad reasons. The population is low on SP, because the mindset of gamers is they do not want to lose an item so that's why they choose to play online games where they don't lose anything. Look at the history of UO and you will see this. UO/SP hasn't died, the online gamers mindset of "i don't want to lose a single item in game" has only been established.

Last edited:

Sprago

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So, I was thinking of organizing a promotional series of events for Siege, provisionally entitled “The Twelve Days of Siegemas”. The idea is to have an event on every day from the 13th to 24th of December inclusive. Some events would be aimed at established players and others would be suitable for newcomers, and hopefully the whole thing would generate a bit of publicity for the shard.

The provisional schedule at this point is:

13th - Meet and greet event for new/potential Siege players
14th - Chompathon - Dragon tournament
15th - Miss Siege 2012
16th - Ironman Challenge II
17th -
18th -
19th - Archeus Magnus - alchemist contest
20th -
21st - Werewolf
22nd - Champ Crawl
23rd - Duelling tournament
24th -

Before committing to this though, the questions I have for the community are:

b) Would any PvPer be willing to run the duelling tournament?

c) Although I can think of other small events to fill in the blanks, does anyone have something they would be willing to put on in the empty days?

d) Any suggestions for Christmas Eve? Presumably there will not be many folk around anyway.
i like the dragon tournament i got a few really good dragons i would like to see how they hold up against sieges finest dragons

Hattori Hanzo

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
SP is a draw because it is dangerous and that danger is what creates the potential for the best community.

I am in the midst of returning and have been gone a while. That considered, I like the event ideas and they will get me in game. I also believe, this being SP, that there will be killing going on that does not meet the goals of the event promoters. Yet, I would reconsider calling this off just because Rumpy basically said what everyone already knows.

I never attended an event of any decent size that did not have some disruption, including Aeric Horne's memorial service. But, what I recommend we do is ask that no one intentionally wrecks the event. SP will be strong again when players police these events themselves.

So, I recommend going forward with this. Try to get some buy-in from all sides and hope for the best.

Rumpy

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
SP will be strong again when players police these events themselves.
They should have guards to fight off people. In the past, that is how it always is. This is a part of Siege. Its not like we run in dry looting and griefing everyone whose going to do champs or any of the events. Thats what make these events fun. If Hoffs is so easily going to quit, maybe he needs to reconsider where he plays as well. Thats just a cop out and makes him look like a cry baby.

Donal Mor

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They should have guards to fight off people. In the past, that is how it always is.
This is not done anymore? It has been a looooong time since I was involved in a champ spawn but we always had guards, and lookouts further from the spawn. One of my henchmen at the time had GM tracking which proved surprisingly useful.

I was usually one of them. Which kind of sucked at the time because of how power scrolls were dropped. The guards always seemed to get screwed out of the divvying process.

I need to get myself back into shape. I feel so undergeared with all of these imbued items about.

Donal Mor
Ard Draoi

Last edited:

Nico666

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
This is not done anymore? It has been a looooong time since I was involved in a champ spawn but we always had guards, and lookouts further from the spawn. One of my henchmen at the time had GM tracking which proved surprisingly useful.

I was usually one of them. Which kind of sucked at the time because of how power scrolls were dropped. The guards always seemed to get screwed out of the divvying process.

I need to get myself back into shape. I feel so undergeared with all of these imbued items about.

Donal Mor
Ard Draoi
I remember Uthrac Tarn use to hire Oczko/Pika to protect his Harrower's.

Last edited:

Blind Otto

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This could still work. but would take a concerted effort by Siege's warriors. Let me share a memory with thee!

Not that long after I arrived here, I was in the NEW guildhouse - the old one, north-west-ish of Britain graveyard, with a few other newcomers.
A horde of unshaven, unwashed vampires descended on the guildhouse, and started throwing every necromancy spell imaginable at those within.
The NEW leaders who were there that day sent out distress calls - by ICQ, via UOAM, through any means possible, to anyone who was within earshot.
Fairly soon after, a wave of blue descended on the vampires, as the Knights of the Silver Serpent arrived, en-mass, from the north.
Moments later, a second wave, made up of rather aggressive townsfolk arrived, from Wispwood Shire and Iantown.
A massive battle ensued, but the vampires were outnumbered, and eventually fled.

Every single newcomer who saw that battle stayed here for many years after that.
I can't speak for all of them, but I know that battle DID influence at least SOME of them to stay, and also had some changing their path, from monster-hunters and crafters, to fighters, warriors - PvPers.
They saw the battle, but were protected from the worst of its effects - partly, due to being indoors, partly due to the efforts of those who answered the call.
No, that is not encouraging people to house-hide. That is encouraging people to protect our young.

To the murderers of Siege - you've heard this before, but I'll say it again anyway:
There is little danger to YOU in attacking newcomers.
The danger is in making that such an unpleasant experience that they never want to have to go through it again.
That can happen if you kill, rez-kill, and dryloot someone who just got here. It can also happen if you turn someone's first event into something unpleasant.
If you kill someone, especially a NEW, rez them. Don't loot them. If you're so great at PKing or PvP, give them some tips.
Then tell them that you'll see them next month, and they'd better be ready to pay up!
But - you're having fun. Can't you think of a way to share that with them?
If you have to attack events, why not work WITH the event organizer?
Have your attack be part of the event, instead of a mean-spirited attempt to ruin other peoples fun.

This could work. It used to work. But it'll only work if people want it to. And PKs are (mostly) people, too.

Rumpy

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Have your attack be part of the event, instead of a mean-spirited attempt to ruin other peoples fun.
No one said anything about this being Mean Spirited. I just don't let people do what they want :)

I also wouldn't be rez killing, looting heavy, or anything like that. Unless they have good stuff. Which it they are new, they won't. An if they are so new, how the hell are they doing spawns in the first place with a fresh made character?

Rumpy

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
dude your right in this statement but an event is and should be considered as different, but thats just my opinion i guess

cya in game
Events are the only time people leave their houses as well.

Afterglow

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just don't let people do what they want :)
congrats, for no morale and antisocial behavior: you've completed your quest for a two pixel extension of your male body part...

I also wouldn't be rez killing, looting heavy, or anything like that. Unless they have good stuff. Which it they are new, they won't. An if they are so new, how the hell are they doing spawns in the first place with a fresh made character?
<cought>kill for event robes</cought>

Back to topic; I congratulate you Hoffs for your efforts and community building plans. Let's see how many cross-dressers will show up for Miss Siege 2012 ;)

Last edited:

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No one said anything about this being Mean Spirited. I just don't let people do what they want :)
Which, of course, is a definition of mean-spirited. :rolleyes:

Don't let them do what they want most of the time and they wander back to a production shard, and you have fewer victims to have fun with on Siege.

People pay a monthly game fee to have fun themselves, not be fun for others. Why don't you mainly stick to killing those who want to do PvP, and let Siege's population grow?

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I don't believe the PK's mean to ruin the events, they just don't like being told how to play.
I believe most here is mature and will try their best to share some fun. Some may do it with running events, others may interrupt the events and try to kill all at the event.
I have to agree with some others here, in the past, we would have guards at events, who would try to fight off the PK's.
Now I see people go to events, only in clothes and without any way to try to defent them self. 3-4 PK's can easy kill all at an event now.
Sure we will always have some young and crafters, who can't fight, but what did happen to the guards?

I think we need to bring PvP back to Siege. I remember in old days, even GIL would try to fight. I heard one red say, he would loot less, if people tryed to fight back, maybe that's the way to help players who want to try to PvP.

I believe it's time to let old hate die and start over and try if we can get both the fun and PvP back to Siege.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord

Rumpy

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Don't let them do what they want most of the time and they wander back to a production shard, and you have fewer victims to have fun with on Siege.

People pay a monthly game fee to have fun themselves, not be fun for others. Why don't you mainly stick to killing those who want to do PvP, and let Siege's population grow?
Because there is not many who want to PvP and I like to PK :)

When you go hunting or fishing, does the animal or fish want to die? No. But you kill them anyways right?

Rumpy

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
congrats, for no morale and antisocial behavior: you've completed your quest for a two pixel extension of your male body part...

<cought>kill for event robes</cought>

Back to topic; I congratulate you Hoffs for your efforts and community building plans. Let's see how many cross-dressers will show up for Miss Siege 2012 ;)
An what does that have to do with people dying at an event? You guys were not newbs. An I believe the word your looking for is Cough*

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
A line in my old Guild Charter say:
"Oh, you don't want to play our game, sorry, but we do play in same game, and if we ask you for money or your life, you must play with us in our game. You have a lot of choice, just use your head and try to make it to your game too. Pay, run, fight or speak, that's your choice"

This is Siege, we have alot of playstyles, some enjoy to PK, others enjoy to do peaceful stuff. A PK do not just attack other PvP'ers, he also enjoy playing with the ones, who don't PvP. On the other hand, alot, who never PvP, do enjoy the risk of getting interrupted of a PK.

I do not set PK'ing = griefing, I see it as a way of interacting. I wish I had the time and energi to get The Dark Outlaws up running again. I don't think less PvP is what Siege.

As long all try to share some fun, all will be fine, even when some may have to craft or buy new gear sometimes.

Rumpy

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Wouldn't it be mean spirited to tell me I couldn't do what I want too? Doesn't that exclude me? :)

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
When you go hunting or fishing, does the animal or fish want to die? No. But you kill them anyways right?
Not all the time. When you do, they tend to get rare and hard to find because there are so few left. Eventually there are none left. And then you don't have fun hunting or fishing anymore.

Show some restraint and your fun will still be there in the years to come. Don't show some restraint and your fun will be gone. Your choice.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wouldn't it be mean spirited to tell me I couldn't do what I want too? Doesn't that exclude me? :)
Why I said "most of the time" & "mainly stick to". You should be able to get your jollies as the other players are allowed to get theirs. :)

fra Abronsius

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't believe the PK's mean to ruin the events, they just don't like being told how to play.
*Fetches his lute and starts singing*

Red, blue, orange, green and the grey,
None likes to be told how to play,

Let us stick to the OP's thread,
Since at the end we'll all be dead,

Always remember the name of the game,
Tomorrow nothing will ever be the same.

Rumpy

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why I said "most of the time" & "mainly stick to". You should be able to get your jollies as the other players are allowed to get theirs. :)
So they should get to spawn and I should get to kill them! Win win. No one ever said they had to finish the spawn to do one. Right?

Hattori Hanzo

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is the oldest topic on SP. I particularly like Tanivar's comment "Eventually there are none left. And then you don't have fun hunting or fishing anymore." That is why there are restrictions on hunting IRL. Without them, people lacking self-control would hunt everything to extinction.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So they should get to spawn and I should get to kill them! Win win. No one ever said they had to finish the spawn to do one. Right?
If they usually can't finish them on Siege, they may well go to another Shard so they can usually have the fun of finishing them. Of course if they go to another shard, your left with fewer people to hunt here on Siege, and what would that do to your fun long term?

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord

Kael

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
People are blowing this out of proportion and making it into the good old red vs blue argument (can't wait for the other all time fav faction vs non faction fights). I think Hoff's is just looking at inviting people from other shards to make a new character here, come out and attend a bunch of events ( including a champ spawn run ) and hopefully have enough fun to stick around and play here. He also has a few other events planned for established characters. I don't understand what the issue is ??

Hattori Hanzo

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We should have an end of the world party on 12/21/12. We can all kill each other and watch the world end in stat loss.

Blind Otto

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No, no - you've got it wrong. EARTH is supposed to end this year. Siege, on the other hand, endures.
*hopes for many more years of hunting and fishing*

stmac1988

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
[quote="People pay a monthly game fee to have fun themselves, not be fun for others. Why don't you mainly stick to killing those who want to do PvP, and let Siege's population grow?[/quote]

if you don't want your game play to be affected by others then you shouldn't play an MMORPG :D

ALSO as for the crawl before not once did we kill a "NEW" player to siege, we killed only vets and didn't even loot suits or anything, matter of fact i even delivered some back to players at the established meeting point. So people need to quit crying over this and grow up or exit browser and play solitaire where you wont get killed. I agree this is a good idea but if they are new let them at least see what can potentially happen and learn exactly what they are getting into on siege.

stmac1988

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
oh and btw over all this is a GREAT IDEA and i wish i had more to contribute and one day i will but even then i think id probably just donate and still show up to kill.

Nico666

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran

It really feels like i'm beating a dead horse here, but SP is dead not only because of events/farming/ect. but because there is no PvP left on this server. And the line i highlighted only reinforced my comment about the mindset of gamers, now. Too be honest 75% of the people that play on SP now came from production shards. And to further beat a dead-horse. Why did it take 13 years for these people to come to SP? We all know that answer.

Nico666

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Irrelevant observation:

When a bear or wolf pack is persistently attacking the shepherds' flocks the shepherds arrange a hunt to go shoot the blighter.
Or, like the mindset of gamers now, leave.

Last edited:

Nico666

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
If they usually can't finish them on Siege, they may well go to another Shard so they can usually have the fun of finishing them. Of course if they go to another shard, your left with fewer people to hunt here on Siege, and what would that do to your fun long term?
If he's not PK'ing his fun is not there, anyways. When was the last time you got killed by ARRR? Never, you say? Then he's never had fun with you. So, in perspective you are ruining his game play.

Nico666

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
And for the record i would like to say SP was not build to farm monsters. Don't believe me look at the ruleset. More PvP'ers have left this server than PvM'ers. When this server opened in 1999 A LOT of PvP guilds left their production server to come to SP. You are taking a 1999 hardcore server and now trying to mix old school players with a new thinking mindset/production server players. How do you think that's going to work out?

Sir Morder

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I believe most here is mature and will try their best to share some fun. Some may do it with running events, others may interrupt the events and try to kill all at the event.
I have to agree with some others here, in the past, we would have guards at events, who would try to fight off the PK's.

Sure we will always have some young and crafters, who can't fight, but what did happen to the guards?
if people tryed to fight back, maybe that's the way to help players who want to try to PvP.

I believe it's time to let old hate die and start over and try if we can get both the fun and PvP back to Siege.
I guarded at one of the last champ crawl events, and it was only because when i logged in i heard that pk's had shown up and attacked at that champ. But in anycase i will do my best to attend these events.

Sir Morder

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If he's not PK'ing his fun is not there, anyways. When was the last time you got killed by ARRR? Never, you say? Then he's never had fun with you. So, in perspective you are ruining his game play.
I will personally ask in general chat if any aar would like to fight 1v1 and we will all see how many takers i get :) how about start with you nico?