• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Tsuki Wolf

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Tsuki Wolf - Stratics Community Wiki | Stratics Community Forums

I have always liked the way they look. Try to find one with as close to 450 HP and 450 Str as you can.

They have overcapped Dex but that may be nerfed soon so don't count on that staying.

The resists are proportional so you can choose which 3 you want to be 80.

These will level up to less than the stats of a Hiryu or Cu. You will have to choose between HP and str.

You can put more specials on them. I chose AI and grasping claw because the 90% physical damage. I also went with Necromancy because it is cheap. There are quite a few magic options for them.

It took this a long time to kill a GD. As its skills increase it should be better.

tsuki wolf.png

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I still see no point in setting resists to 80 ... when your pet is only as strong as it's lowest resist. IMO .... You get up next to a player and that pet is going down to the consecrate weapon.
And any other mobs that use such things.... Not sure how many do but I'm fairly sure they do...

omukai

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
You didn't put much mana in, but a lot of mana sponge abilities/skills. How does that work out for you?
Mana Reg becomes more valuable the more mana a pet has.
No HP Reg despite it being by far the most bang for your buck. Why?

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I still see no point in setting resists to 80 ... when your pet is only as strong as it's lowest resist. IMO .... You get up next to a player and that pet is going down to the consecrate weapon.
And any other mobs that use such things.... Not sure how many do but I'm fairly sure they do...
My pets will never go against players.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Whether I want them to or not they will eventually if I want to go get scrolls I have no choice... but then I don't do the sampire thing.... I have one but I hate it. I was rather hoping that with the new pets and all I might have some chance at soloing a spawn... not sure that's going to happen but I want to try. Don't have much choice since no one ever seems to want to do anything and when it comes to doing a spawn in Fel the LAST thing I'm going to do is go looking for strangers to go with me.

So it's solo or no go... but I don't really do so well at it.. takes me too long... usually get raided. Been looking to find the right combination on a pet that will help me do a spawn fast enough to complete it solo. Not looking promising and since the nerf to mana it really looks unlikely... so back to square one of not being able to solo anything worthwhile save the Styngian which never gives anything worthwhile.

Just is seriously frustrating... but I always plan to be attacked. Guess that's because of the shard I play on.... it's always had plenty of folk in Fel.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You didn't put much mana in, but a lot of mana sponge abilities/skills. How does that work out for you?
Mana Reg becomes more valuable the more mana a pet has.
No HP Reg despite it being by far the most bang for your buck. Why?
I put HP regen on my first pets. I didn't see any value. I'm always healing them anyway. I have to be doing something or I get bored. That's why none of my pets have skills. Ill watch them kills slugs for 30 seconds and I go crazy.

With the new mana usage the mana drops to 30s with a minute. So 700 mana would give 2 mins. Not worth it. I'm going with the 120 med and mana regen. If I had a 120 focus left id add it on.

I have a few pets made for killing a recurring mob, like Artic orge lord, I give those high Mana. The ones I intend to use on a Boss type I use regen instead.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Whether I want them to or not they will eventually if I want to go get scrolls I have no choice... but then I don't do the sampire thing.... I have one but I hate it. I was rather hoping that with the new pets and all I might have some chance at soloing a spawn... not sure that's going to happen but I want to try. Don't have much choice since no one ever seems to want to do anything and when it comes to doing a spawn in Fel the LAST thing I'm going to do is go looking for strangers to go with me.

So it's solo or no go... but I don't really do so well at it.. takes me too long... usually get raided. Been looking to find the right combination on a pet that will help me do a spawn fast enough to complete it solo. Not looking promising and since the nerf to mana it really looks unlikely... so back to square one of not being able to solo anything worthwhile save the Styngian which never gives anything worthwhile.

Just is seriously frustrating... but I always plan to be attacked. Guess that's because of the shard I play on.... it's always had plenty of folk in Fel.
When we first started pet training we would stop gaining on Navrey and call the peeps who kill her regularly to come kill her so we get a new one.

Now a growing number have a pet that can kill Navrey before the lowly pets get to 25%.

You could solo Navrey with a skilled pet. Could probably solo Mel with a trained pet. 3 skilled pets take Mel down quick. Just need a key getter.

omukai

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I'm healing them, too. If it's just farming of something like the Arctic Ogre Lord or Sphynx, I rather throw some Mind Blast than bandages though, speeds things up, if even a little.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
When we first started pet training we would stop gaining on Navrey and call the peeps who kill her regularly to come kill her so we get a new one.

Now a growing number have a pet that can kill Navrey before the lowly pets get to 25%.

You could solo Navrey with a skilled pet. Could probably solo Mel with a trained pet. 3 skilled pets take Mel down quick. Just need a key getter.
In my experience at least on my home shard Navrey is often camped 24/7... while yes more than one can do it I find that I don't ever get drops off Navrey other than the glasses... an no one cares about them. I got a Tangle I think the first week of release of the Abyss but haven't seen another since.

I really NEED to do spawns to get scrolls for the pets... have no desire nor the funds to buy scrolls at the now ridiculously over inflated prices of them. So I suppose I'll wait for the frenzy to die down... and see if I can do something later. For now it's not really something I want to waste time or effort on... I'll just spend time working the pets up and testing them. And sadly given my hours there really aren't too many around to do things with when I can be on... either that or there are things going on... just not hunting. RP always comes first.

WhiteWitch

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran

Soloing champ spawns with a tamer these days is a hiding to nothing, you are limited in the spawns you can take on and even the rat one will take you twice the time to complete using a tamer than other templates, thats twice the time you are a sitting duck to a PK, assuming you are running vet you are going to have zero resist and zero wrestle, magery SDI is capped at 15 vs players for tamers, your pet is 30% nerfed and thats assuming you can even drag it from the spawn to protect you within the few seconds you remain alive...

In the end I suppose ability to defend yourself when soloing a spawn is not that much of an issue, raiders tend to come in numbers and even if you were to beat them by some miracle, its unlikely you would then be able to complete the spawn once they know you are there, you may as well cut your losses and go home with the pinks you have.

Like you say - its the length of time it takes to do it, the shortest time I was able to complete a rat spawn back when I used to do them with my gargoyle mage tamer and GD was 1 hour 20 mins, I imagine with the new pet abilities you could shave some time off that but right now with a chiv archer or thrower I can do rat/demon/reptile or arachnid in about 45 mins, undead in 55 mins, Ive never tried them with a sampire but seen videos of them completed in about 15 minutes with one of those!

Tamers are way down in the PvM rankings compared to newer templates, I do like these new changes(apart from the pvp damage nerf), but Im not sure its going to change that situation very much.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Soloing champ spawns with a tamer these days is a hiding to nothing, you are limited in the spawns you can take on and even the rat one will take you twice the time to complete using a tamer than other templates, thats twice the time you are a sitting duck to a PK, assuming you are running vet you are going to have zero resist and zero wrestle, magery SDI is capped at 15 vs players for tamers, your pet is 30% nerfed and thats assuming you can even drag it from the spawn to protect you within the few seconds you remain alive...

In the end I suppose ability to defend yourself when soloing a spawn is not that much of an issue, raiders tend to come in numbers and even if you were to beat them by some miracle, its unlikely you would then be able to complete the spawn once they know you are there, you may as well cut your losses and go home with the pinks you have.

Like you say - its the length of time it takes to do it, the shortest time I was able to complete a rat spawn back when I used to do them with my gargoyle mage tamer and GD was 1 hour 20 mins, I imagine with the new pet abilities you could shave some time off that but right now with a chiv archer or thrower I can do rat/demon/reptile or arachnid in about 45 mins, undead in 55 mins, Ive never tried them with a sampire but seen videos of them completed in about 15 minutes with one of those!

Tamers are way down in the PvM rankings compared to newer templates, I do like these new changes(apart from the pvp damage nerf), but Im not sure its going to change that situation very much.
I agree.... I was just hoping that this new revamp might actually give Tamers a boon for once... but no ..... seems that still the hardest skill to really work and all is still the saddest of them all... people think tamers do nothing but "all kill".... but that's because they only see Tamers doing that... they don't see tamers out soloing things and such because they CAN'T. Because any other template is 10X better still... And give them a pet that actually does something and it's instantly nerfed and people cry foul....

A sampire just stands there WW,WW,WW, WW and occasionally doing something else, An archer sits back and plucks away at things..., Mages cast 2 EV's or a RC and wait for things to be over... etc...... etc..... I'm so sick of hearing how Tamers just "All Kill"..... well tell me what another template does that is much more than that?!?!? So WHY are tamers crippled??? Tamers get no slayers, they don't get to use talismans that aid them nothing..... sure I can put on whatever other skills but the truth of that matter is no matter what Other skills the tamer has they are still 1/2 of what a devoted dexer, mage or bard is...

We get a devoted Revamp..... to wind up with no more power than we had to begin with. For a few moments the publish seemed worthwhile... I thought after testing my awesome spider that I might be able to actually do something on my tamers again other than be the meat shield so everyone else can get all the drops. That's what I generally do when we do spawns or Peerless... My dragon is the meat shield and they out damage me by 10 fold... or more... Was really hoping for something good to come of all this... I should have known better.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I agree.... I was just hoping that this new revamp might actually give Tamers a boon for once... but no ..... seems that still the hardest skill to really work and all is still the saddest of them all... people think tamers do nothing but "all kill".... but that's because they only see Tamers doing that... they don't see tamers out soloing things and such because they CAN'T. Because any other template is 10X better still... And give them a pet that actually does something and it's instantly nerfed and people cry foul....

A sampire just stands there WW,WW,WW, WW and occasionally doing something else, An archer sits back and plucks away at things..., Mages cast 2 EV's or a RC and wait for things to be over... etc...... etc..... I'm so sick of hearing how Tamers just "All Kill"..... well tell me what another template does that is much more than that?!?!? So WHY are tamers crippled??? Tamers get no slayers, they don't get to use talismans that aid them nothing..... sure I can put on whatever other skills but the truth of that matter is no matter what Other skills the tamer has they are still 1/2 of what a devoted dexer, mage or bard is...

We get a devoted Revamp..... to wind up with no more power than we had to begin with. For a few moments the publish seemed worthwhile... I thought after testing my awesome spider that I might be able to actually do something on my tamers again other than be the meat shield so everyone else can get all the drops. That's what I generally do when we do spawns or Peerless... My dragon is the meat shield and they out damage me by 10 fold... or more... Was really hoping for something good to come of all this... I should have known better.
No offense, but it seems like you are complaining about digging a ditch with a spoon because you like they way it feels in your hand and driving a backhoe is boring.

Soloing a champ spawn is all about AOE damage. End of story. If a warrior or mage went in and fought one monster at a time it would take every bit as long as a tamer. BUT even with AOE it still takes player AI to really make a difference in speed. I wouldn't ever expect to see pet AI really on par with player AI. That being the case, I don't ever see pets really in competition at a champ spawn.

All that said, there are still ways to incorporate tamers into a champ spawn, it just leaves you more vulnerable to raiders. For example:

Template = 120:mage/eval/necro/ss/taming/lore

Suit: 100+ SDI mage suit

Pet = 5 slot fire beetle with AI and Goo

Spawn = rat spawn

Tactic = wraith form with pet set to guard. EQ for level 1 and 2, wither for level 3 and 4. Pet provides backup defense and damage on level 3 and 4. Corpse skin coon and use respond slayer book for fireball/flamestrike combos while beetle tanks. Solo the full spawn and the boss in @ 30 minutes (or less once you get the hang of it).

Prince Erik

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So I suppose I'll wait for the frenzy to die down... and see if I can do something later. For now it's not really something I want to waste time or effort on... I'll just spend time working the pets up and testing them.
That's my philosophy in a nutshell. Honestly, I've never been one who has to have the best of everything, just not worth my time to achieve that. The way I figure, I'll just concentrate on making the pets I do have better and after a year or two when everyone is bored of training pets and has every conceivable built up super combo killing machine, scrolls will plummet and doing spawns will be possible again and I can work on building a super pet of my own.

Since it takes so long for me to max just ONE pet (I'm still training my very first CU!) it will take me years anyhow. ;)

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Pet = 5 slot fire beetle with AI and Goo
I don't believe you can have both of those on a beetle. It's either Goo or AI. In addition, AI now costs so much mana, that regardless of MR, the beetle runs dry pretty quick.

EDIT: I was wrong. See below.

Last edited:

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I don't believe you can have both of those on a beetle. It's either Goo or AI. In addition, AI now costs so much mana, that regardless of MR, the beetle runs dry pretty quick.
Seems like when I did my beetle I did AI and then could either do the Goo or Poisoning.... I added poisoning so I could be remembering wrong.

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Seems like when I did my beetle I did AI and then could either do the Goo or Poisoning.... I added poisoning so I could be remembering wrong.
Poisoning you can add as this is a magic ability. But I specifically tried getting both AI and Goo on there and failed. In my case it did not matter which order you add them.

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Oops, I just tried it again on TC an you indeed can have both AI and Goo at the same time. Either they changed something or I was blind. I was wrong.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm healing them, too. If it's just farming of something like the Arctic Ogre Lord or Sphynx, I rather throw some Mind Blast than bandages though, speeds things up, if even a little.
I see what you mean. You can heal them after the fight. I would agree with you putting a larger mana pool and HP regen on pets that either fight a recurring mob or fight a group of small mobs. Then you can kill other things.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Oops, I just tried it again on TC an you indeed can have both AI and Goo at the same time. Either they changed something or I was blind. I was wrong.
There was a specific order I had to add the Skills in. Had to do the Magic ability last or other options were not available if I added it first. Donavon is talking about that in another thread.

DDesire

Adventurer
hmm I found a 4.0 one and it turned into 4.4 as soon as I become its master.. weird.

do Tsuki Wolfs not have parrying as a skill? I see yours is blank too but you have the 105 scroll added for it? *confused*

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Most pets do not have parry until the wrestling is 100. You can only put a parry scroll on a few pets when the wrestling is not 100. This is one of those pets.

You have to get wrestling to 100 to have a parry scroll as a choice on most pets.

Yours may have gone to 4.4 because the resists went up. These pets are known for their resists randomly going above 80 but they drop to normal when they die. So make sure you adjust the resists even tho they show above 80.