• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Trying to figure out the new animal training options.

TheFarg

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
I'm a long time player that just came back to UO after being away for several years. Super excited about all the new pet training options but having a hard time figuring it out. I have some pets that I've had for years so are still the old control slots. I was working on my 3-slot dragon and when I made him 4-slot I wanted him to have more spells so I gave him mysticism and then he lost his magery!?! Is it only possible to have one school of magic per pet? When you have them learn a new school of magic do they always lose their current ones? I gave him magery mastery and he got magery back and he has mysticism at 20 but he doesn't every cast or gain with it? Did I screw him up? Aside from pets that can learn necromage is it only possible to have one school of magic on them? I wanted to have a pet that can use magery, mysticism, and spellweaving. Is that not possible?

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
First
I'm a long time player that just came back to UO after being away for several years. Super excited about all the new pet training options but having a hard time figuring it out. I have some pets that I've had for years so are still the old control slots. I was working on my 3-slot dragon and when I made him 4-slot I wanted him to have more spells so I gave him mysticism and then he lost his magery!?! Is it only possible to have one school of magic per pet? When you have them learn a new school of magic do they always lose their current ones? I gave him magery mastery and he got magery back and he has mysticism at 20 but he doesn't every cast or gain with it? Did I screw him up? Aside from pets that can learn necromage is it only possible to have one school of magic on them? I wanted to have a pet that can use magery, mysticism, and spellweaving. Is that not possible?
of all, welcome back! My advice is to first READ EVERYTHING you can about pets and taming/training. There are several knowledgeable tamers who post often. Lots of good information. AFTER you have done that, copy a tamer to Test Center. You can train/upgrade pets there with no worry of screwing one up. Play with them over and over! When you run out of pets on TC, you can always tame over there, or delete the character, and just recopy him again (once every 24 Hrs.)

The bad news is: That will just give you the basics.

Haidon

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Selecting a new school of magic is not to be considered lightly, it will remove any innate magical ability the pet may have. You may only select a total of Three options from 5 possibilities over these four categories:

• 1 magical ability
  • 1 special ability
  • 2 special moves
  • 1 area effect
" I wanted to have a pet that can use magery, mysticism, and spellweaving. Is that not possible? "

That is not possible.

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Read. Please Read. (that is to all returning tamers)

When you select another magic you get a warning message about the animal losing all other magical abilities it has. I have no idea why so many tamers miss this.

Most important piece of advice I can give any returning tamer, keep your old legacy pets in the stables until you get a firm, and i mean firm, grasp of animal training. Train newly tamed animals and see what abilities/magical combos work well with your play style, then revisit the legacy pets. They cannot be replaced. They cannot unlearn what they have learned. Properly trained they can be some of the best pets around. Improperly trained they will probably end up back in the stable while more effective pets are used.

Second piece of advice, be wary of any one in game giving advice. Some great tamers out there, but when I see a tamer with a 30 stam regen, 700 int, 600 str naja giving taming advice... And his first piece of advice to the returning tamer was "add hp" to his 800hp naja with 200 str.... And this guy said he was knowledgeable about animal taming...

Test Center is a good option, but some things shine with the more skill an animal has.

whitesmith

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Also
Don't sell your pre patch pets until you know their worth...
Tbh, they're not worth selling, use them for yourself, if you have any left over.. go nuts!

TheFarg

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Thank you guys. I'm liking my mare with his necromage. Also I see that a skree comes with magery and mysticism. Maybe I'll try one of them. I managed to snag a 3-slot one yesterday. Looks like I messed up my old 3-slot dragon. Lucky I have a spare one on a different tamer. Thanks for the info guys. Appreciate it

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Thank you guys. I'm liking my mare with his necromage. Also I see that a skree comes with magery and mysticism. Maybe I'll try one of them. I managed to snag a 3-slot one yesterday. Looks like I messed up my old 3-slot dragon. Lucky I have a spare one on a different tamer. Thanks for the info guys. Appreciate it
What may be cool about skrees I think they maintain BOTH magery and mystic spells..according to what I have seen here..

TheFarg

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
I tried transferring to test server but when I tried to build a pet it said every time that I couldn't do that now because I was too recently in combat. Does this happen to anyone else?

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I tried transferring to test server but when I tried to build a pet it said every time that I couldn't do that now because I was too recently in combat. Does this happen to anyone else?
If you are fighting, and hit "100%", you have to get to a noncombat spot for approx. 5 minutes before you can apply training points. If you HAVEN'T been fighting and are still getting the message then I am at a loss. For whatever that's worth.

FYI, if you are on TC, you can bump the pets to 100% without fighting. There are 2 moongates in Haven. 1 for bonding a pet. The other to "train" pet to 100%. WARNING: you must FIRST START TRAINING (clicking the begin training gump) BEFORE you go into the "training gate". It used to screw EVERYTHING up if you forgot. NOTE: may be fixed by now, but not sure.

TheFarg

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
If you are fighting, and hit "100%", you have to get to a noncombat spot for approx. 5 minutes before you can apply training points. If you HAVEN'T been fighting and are still getting the message then I am at a loss. For whatever that's worth.

FYI, if you are on TC, you can bump the pets to 100% without fighting. There are 2 moongates in Haven. 1 for bonding a pet. The other to "train" pet to 100%. WARNING: you must FIRST START TRAINING (clicking the begin training gump) BEFORE you go into the "training gate". It used to screw EVERYTHING up if you forgot. NOTE: may be fixed by now, but not sure.
Thank you so much. This I did not know

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
When you are on TC and this happens, go get killed and then wait 2 mins.

Effort

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
are there still pet bonding / pet training gates somewhere on test? I can't find them or figure this out

Yes - in the Britt Commons to the East of WBB

Last edited: