• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

True black Mares

P

Prudentis

Are they rare or do you see them often?

I have one with mediocre stats. Was wondering if I just should look further, for one with better stats or stick to it?

G

Nightmares have four shades, and they all spawn with equal chance. Just pray for the RNG lord you'll get a good one.

I wouldn't let your mare go if you're attached to it. If you're not attached to the fella, it's not hard to go looking for good nightmares. It just takes a lot of patience.

P

Prudentis

OK, thx.
I was not sure, if the true blacks (the ones not dark grey but rather real black) spawned rarer than the other ones.
If its really 1/4 than I'll just keep killing them until I get my perfect stats/tue black just like I got my perfect WW yesterday. All resists 100% except for fire where it has 99%

A

Antion_Vallin

What makes the darkest version any more of a "true black" than the lightest version? Their all the same hue, that ones just the "brown" version of a normal horse, so how can it be "true"?

P

Prudentis

I don't know.
We used to refer to the one mare with real black color as "true black" and one WW "whiter" than others as "true white".
I don't remember exactly, if they were the same or had different stats back then.
I mean, grey is not black, so only the black-shade mare is truely black? lol

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
<blockquote><hr>

What makes the darkest version any more of a "true black" than the lightest version? Their all the same hue, that ones just the "brown" version of a normal horse, so how can it be "true"?

[/ QUOTE ]
It's just a naming convention that has gained popular acceptance. Don't get your knickers in a knot.

It probably started with the first black dye tubs way back in the early days of UO, although who knows, they might have been calling the darkest black mares "true black" even before the dye tubs came along, or the purest white wyrms, "true white" (notice that "true black" is shorter and easier to type than "darkest black"
), although something tells me that the first time I heard the phrase "true black" it was either referring to those black dye tubs, or cloth or clothing dyed with them.

I

imported_captainobvious

i remember about 6 years ago or so, when i actually worked the skill....lol..

people used to bank sit and sell "pure blacks", was quite a popular term then. i got the reference at least, but im clueless as to stats being better or worse upon color.

S

Strewth

Mares used to come in long hair and short hair versions, the long hair darkest black was simply the most prized pet ever (before all teh fluro pets now), the long hair on the dark ones made them look a tad darker than the short hair ones (they looked a slight shade of blue / black).

I haven't hunted mares for a long time, I believe I have a 'pure black long hair' legacy on one of my tamers, they look like a brown horse in the KR client

Not sure if they now spawn in all the same variants as the pre patch ones, might do a bit of camping and find out..