• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Trivial WoW

WoWNews

RSS Feed
RSS Feed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm all for B-Movies and other eclectic references, so when I came across this I was thoroughly amused. I do not know how many people have taken note of some of the things I'm going to list for you from a site I like called the Internet Movie Database, but it does have an entertainment factor.
With this in mind if anyone else has some interesting references such as these I'd love to compile more for everyone's viewing pleasure. It definately shows us that Blizzard's developers have a great sense of humor. So without futher adieu...

• One of the mini-bosses of the Defias Brotherhood in Westfall is named Benny Blaanco which refers to the gang leader of the same name in the movie Carlito's Way.
  • There is a lumberjack in Elwynn Forest named Terry Palin. Terry Jones and Michael Palin were members of Monty Python who (among many others) were famous for the Lumberjack Song.
  • The three bankers in Stormwind are named Olivia, Newton and John named after the '80s singer Olivia Newton-John.
  • Postmaster Malown drops the item "Malown's Slam" referring to NBA star Karl 'The Mailman' Malone.
  • The item "Six Demon Bag" is a nod to John Carpenter's Big Trouble in Little China: sorcerer Egg Shen's (Victor Wong) Six-Demon Bag has the power to blast enemies with "wind, fire, all that kind of thing!"
  • The island off the coast of Dustwallow Marsh is called Alcaz, and even contains a huge gate like prison. Referring of course to world famous Alcatraz Island in San Francisco harbor.
  • Sentinel Hill (the central militia base in Westfall) is also where Yog-Sothoth is summoned in the H.P. Lovecraft story, The Dunwich Horror.
  • In the newest high-level-dungeon "Naxxramas", gamers could sometimes spot a cat running through this dungeon called "Mr. Bigglesworth". A clear pointer to Dr. Evil's cat from the Austin Powers movies.
  • In Un'Goro Crater there are two brothers called Larion and Muigin wearing plumbers' clothing, a reference to the Nintendo characters Mario and Luigi.
  • In Tanaris and Booty bay, there are Goblin engineers named Lafhorg and Scooty. An obvious reference to the Star Trek Chief Engineers Geordi Laforge and Scotty.
  • The consumable Red Speckled Mushrooms are a clear image of the classic mushrooms in Mario. They even come with the same, small, slit-like eyes on the stalk.
  • The "Grand Master Engineer" in the Zangarmarsh zone is called "Mack Diver" a very clear reference to MacGyver.
  • In Stormwind, the cooking trainer is named Stephen Ryback and the cooking supplier is named Erika Tate. This is a direct reference to the movie "Under Siege" starring Steven Segal who played Casey Ryback and Erika Eleniak who played Jordan Tate.
  • In the dungeon Uldaman, located in Bad Lands, you'll meet three vikings called Erik, Baleog and Olaf. It's a reference to the three vikings in the 1992 video-game The Lost Vikings.
  • The Swamp of Sorrows is a reference to the Swamp of Sadness in the fantasy film, The Neverending Story
  • In the Lower City there are characters named Adam Eternium and Oric Coe. This is a reference to He-Man of course Prince Adam of Eternia and his sidekick Orko. This character also has his "Battle Tiger' instead of Battle Cat.
  • In the entrance to the Mana Tombs, there is a shady dealer by the name of "Slim". This is a reference to Eminem aka Slim Shady.
  • One of the prizes for the Scarlet Monastery quest "Into the Scarlet Monastery" is the Sword of Omen. This is referenced to Lion-o's Sword of Omens from Thundercats.
  • Similarly to the Alliance battlemasters in the Lower City of Shattrath, amongst the Horde battlemasters is Keldor the Lost, a clear allusion to Skeletor, He-Man's arch-foe, who's original 'human' name was Keldor. He even comes complete with the purple tinged skin and goat skull staff.
  • Further into the Undercity, in the War Quarter, there's an honest to God Fight Club where you'll find two NPC fighters named Edward and Tyler. This clearly references the film Fight Club.
  • In the Badlands around the middle of the map is a semi-hidden crypt. Enter the crypt and you'll see a decomposed guy sitting on a throne with a sword to his side. A clear allusion from the first Conan film.
  • While fighting your way through the Deadmines to get VanCleef's head you'll encounter a Goblin Shredder. Take it down and look at the dashboard and you'll see a familiar face: Kerrigan, The Zerg Queen from Starcraft: Brood War. She appears to be the ruler of the goblins as well. Other goblin shredders can be found in Stranglethorn Vale and Gadgetzan.
  • A further movie allusion comes from Star Wars. In the Shimmering Flats, peek around a bit and you'll find a goblin race team with a very familiar looking vehicle - Blizzard's version of Sebulba's podracer from Episode I. Do a little more exploring and you'll also find a wrecked podracer which smacked into a canyon walls.
  • Outside of Auberdine in Darkshore, a dwarf could be found named Glubber Bump. This is a reference to Forrest Gump (1994), when the shrimp company Forrest founds is called Bubba Gump. A quest given by Glubber is called "Fruit of the Sea" and Glubber details all the way you can cook crab. This is also from Forrest Gump when Bubba details all the way you can cook shrimp.
  • In Un'Goro Crater there is a questgiver named Ringo who gives out a quest called "With a Little Help From My Friends". "With A Little Help From My Friends is a song by The Beatles and Ringo Starr is a member of the Beatles
  • In Sporaggar, Zangarmarsh, the Sporelings give a quest called "We Want a Shrubery!!". This is an obvious reference to the film Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975) in which the Knights Who Say Ni demand a shrubbery from King Arthur.
  • Amberstill Ranch is where level 40 and 60 dwarves get there ram mounts. There is an actual Amberstill Ranch near San Diego, California.
  • In the expansion there is a quest called "The Kessel Run" a reference to _Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope (1977) and the popular kessel run made by smugglers.
  • In the expansion the griffin master in Blood Watch is named Laando after Lando Calrissian in Star Wars.
  • In the expansion in the world?s end tavern in Shattrath City there is Harris Pilton with her dog Tinkerbell. Refering to Hilton millionaire Paris Hilton and her dog Tinkerbell.
  • In The Barrens, there is a tombstone complete with a Spirit Healer, known as The Shrine of the Fallen Warrior. This is a shrine dedicated to Michael Koiter, a designer of World of Warcraft who died during development due to heart failure.
  • In Hellfire Peninsula in the Temple of Telhamat, there is a NPC named Caregiver Ophera Windfury, in reference to the TV talk show host Oprah Winfrey.
  • The bankers in Ironforge are named Barnum Stonemantle, Bailey Stonemantle, and Soleil Stonemantle. This is an obvious reference to the Barnum & Bailey and Cirque du Soleil circuses.
  • The Innkeeper in Thrallmar [Hellfire] is called Floyd Pinkus and obvious reference to the band Pink Floyd.

More...