• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

travesty soloing

frostbolt

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i hear tamers can solo travesty easily. are there any specific skills i need to do it? i was thinking ninja stealth tamer..

so taming vet lore mage ninja stealth hide

or peace tamer

actually i wanted to try out the stealth tamer anyway because the only reason i have peace was to not die but smoke bombs seem to do the same thing and stealth is just so much nicer...

M

MoneyMaker

I can't speak for the stealth tamers, but I can tell you that peacing tamers will have a very hard time soloing the trav near the end. main reason - ninjas cannot be peaced.
If the trav heals back enough while you are dealing with the ninjas with your pet, he will call them again when he is red line again.
I have seen archer tamers/stealth tamers solo the trav, but I do not know any peace tamers that have done it, but thats not to say it can't be done, just that you would be busier than a cat on a hot tin roof. :D

W

Whinemaker

My Treasure Hunter/Tamer has done it a few times. The end gets quite tricky though.
Unless you don't have anyone to play with or just really insist on having all the loot to yourself, I'd suggest doing it with a group. Sitting in front of the computer healing your pet for an hour straight is not fun at all.

By the way does vetting un-hide you?

M

MoneyMaker

I don't know about vetting while hidden/stealthing, but it does when your invisible, so I would imagine it would while hiding too, since it is a action.
When I have done trav with another tamer and myself, we usually just hang back near the entrance to the block that the trav starts in, til that magic moment when the trav calls in the reinforcments. But before that we make sure the pets are following and attacking the trav, so that there is a better possibilty that they will kill it while we try to deal with the ninjas and mages (which can be peaced). We usually have the trav dead before we actually finish with the ninjas.
If you have a good connection, you can usually get the ninjas to pile into a corner / invis/ and run back to your pet before any major damage has been done. But make sure you clean up after you finish the trav.

frostbolt

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i was thinking of using this as a stealth template

80 magery
100 hide
75 stealth
90 ninjitsu
115taming
120 vet
120 lore

M

MoneyMaker

I am no expert, by no means, but I would bump stealth to 80 and drop lore to 115.
that would give you better stealthing (less chance of revealing) and there is nothing that you can't control with 115 lore.
But! you might wanna get someone who is real good with templates before you take that to heart.
Sounds like you have a good setup so far.

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'd just ditch the stealth idea from the start. It doesn't help down there except at the end. And there you have other abilities (invisibility) which are just as useful.

What you need is the ability to heal from a great distance (magery), the ability to keep yourself in the mana (meditation) and the ability to do a whole lot of damage in one shot once the ninja, assassins and mages pop out at the end (spellweaving). The only one of those skills that HAS to be at 120 is spellweaving (one failure in word of death means you might have to deal with twice as much side-spawn)

And of course, you need as much taming and lore as you think you need for controlling your dragon (or cu if you're feeling adventurous).

So that puts you at:
120 weaving
110 taming
110 lore
100 magery (more is better)
100 meditation (more or less)

which leaves you enough room for one or two more skills. Since you are a tamer, vet could be useful, but if you only plan on fighting Travesty, it isn't mandatory unless you also use your tamer for key collecting. I would include vet on the template.

That leaves you with either points for another skill (EI preferred) or to bring the rest of your template up to all 120's.

Now the secret to killing Travesty solo on a tamer is to not let Travesty polymorph into you. This is best accomplished by staying far away from Travesty. If you run in, "all kill" Travesty, run away and invis yourself, then odds are pretty good that she won't turn into you. Then you can approach your dragon one step at a time until you're close enough to heal your dragon, but far enough away from Travesty that she won't turn into you. That means you can't use offensive magic against her, but it's safest that way.

Once she turns into you, she also gains the benifit of your resists, which more often than not means the fight will take much longer. She'll also keep attacking you, which means you'll be running away and your dragon will be chasing for the entire fight, adding even more time.

Near the end of the fight, the mage, ninja, thief and assassin attack, at which point you need to run to wherever Travesty is and cast a single word of death before running away again. It would be best if you can get all of the side-spawn to follow you. Then you can invis yourself far away from where your dragon is fighting Travesty and you can run back and WoD Travesty to death (doesn't matter if she turns into you at that point) while saving the side spawn for later. If the spawn attacks your dragon, then you might have trouble healing the dragon quickly enough and you still can't afford to let the dragon off of Travesty. This is the part where having EI (or archery or a mage weapon bow with spell channeling) can come in handy. You can pick off the side spawn from a distance while your dragon stays on Travesty and hopefully you can kill them fast enough that your dragon won't die.

The whole process can take anywhere from half an hour (if your dragon has high tactics and wrestling) to an hour (if your dragon is like mine and has low tactics, my last run took about 50 minutes).

frostbolt

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
what level of spell focus do you use for spellweaving? i find that having no focus makes it so that i cant word of death even if a monster is red lined. and couldnt i just take my gear off before engaging travesty? shed turn into me but without gear right? then i can put it back on

O

Old Man of UO

what level of spell focus do you use for spellweaving? i find that having no focus makes it so that i cant word of death even if a monster is red lined. and couldnt i just take my gear off before engaging travesty? shed turn into me but without gear right? then i can put it back on
FYI, lowest level of focus requires the monster to have 5% or less health for maximum spell damage of WOD, 10% level 2 focus (I think), etc. If you use KR and the BBE interface, the health bars also have a % health number... very nice feature for WOD Spellweavers!

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Without at least a level 2 focus, you couldn't Word of Death when the spawn happens and may as well just ebolt Travesty a few times (and possibly forget about weaving).

The good news is that with the new WBB bank designs, depending on your shard, the designs include an arcane circle, so finding a higher level focus will soon be easier. The bad news is that they're taking their sweet time in making the designs happen.

And once Travesty turns into you, Travesty won't stop trying to attack you, which means that your pet has to move to keep up with it, thus slowing down the whole process. I've found that it's just much more convenient to keep Travesty at a great distance and just worry about healing for 95% of the fight.

frostbolt

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
well thats why i was considering the stealth template. i could just smoke bomb when travesty targets onto me or does it not work that way?

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It'll work just as well as invisibility, but at 3 times the skill point investment.