• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Tinkering] trapped chect question

Duncan McDermott

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Can't be made any other way far as I know.

:)

Course I've been wrong before ... :(
I must be doing something wrong then because I can only get it to either unlock or lock. I put the key on a key ring and set the box on the floor. When I have another character try to open it the message says it appears to be locked. What am I doing wrong?

Barian

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why would you want to lock it?
Just put the box in your backpack and open it ...

There may be something about the orientation of the box ... try putting it down and picking it up so that it swaps orientation & try again.

Duncan McDermott

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Why would you want to lock it?
Just put the box in your backpack and open it ...

There may be something about the orientation of the box ... try putting it down and picking it up so that it swaps orientation & try again.
correct me if I am wrong but don't you need to lock the box to arm it?

Found this post from 2008 not sure if this info has changed but I have yet to get it to work.
http://stratics.com/threads/trouble-with-trapped-chests.57156/

MeTheGreat

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
gm carpenter for chest.

30-35 skill tinker to make dart trap (takes more than one attempt).

lock the chest and throw away the key

use unlock spell to unlock it (or possibly lockpicking)

every time it opens dart goes off
(only when turned east-west; turned other way trap does not go off)

Duncan McDermott

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
gm carpenter for chest.

30-35 skill tinker to make dart trap (takes more than one attempt).

lock the chest and throw away the key

use unlock spell to unlock it (or possibly lockpicking)

every time it opens dart goes off
(only when turned east-west; turned other way trap does not go off)
Going to try again to make one and use the magic unlock spell. That is the one part I totally missed on this. Thank you! Will let you know if I succeed.

Duncan McDermott

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Here we go again. I made a new character and bought tinker to 35. I used my GM carpenter to make the orange box. Gave the box back to the 35 tinker to dart trap it. Then I took it back, used the key to lock it and cast magic unlock on the box. I got a message that my spell does not seem to have an effect on the lock. What am I doing wrong?

Duncan McDermott

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Here we go again. I made a new character and bought tinker to 35. I used my GM carpenter to make the orange box. Gave the box back to the 35 tinker to dart trap it. Then I took it back, used the key to lock it and cast magic unlock on the box. I got a message that my spell does not seem to have an effect on the lock. What am I doing wrong?
* update* I had the gm carpenter make another box, which I gave to the low tinker to trap, when I got the box trapped I locked it and put the key in the trash barrel and waited until it was emptied. Then I had the gm carpenter cast unlock on it and once again I got the message that the spell did not seem to work. I even tried it with another character and got the same message. I have cast with the box in my pack and on the floor.
Maybe I should just buy several if someone would sell me some on Atl.

MeTheGreat

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i can show you a vendor that is usually stocked on atl. one last question though, since i've never gotten that response on a crafted chest. what is the magery skill at of the caster?

Duncan McDermott

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
i can show you a vendor that is usually stocked on atl. one last question though, since i've never gotten that response on a crafted chest. what is the magery skill at of the caster?
I tried it with 2 different characters one had 67.4 and the other had 79,2

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards
ya lost my trap box yesterday so went to make another, and totally forgot the mage step, boy was I getting mad. then I went to UO guide and read up on it and then slap myself for forgetting that mage part. Trap box works just great now.

Barian

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
From the Data Chest

GM Carpenter
30 Tinkering
Tinker Talisman
Wood
Ingots
Crossbow Bolts

Craft a crate.
Open it and remove the key.
Add a Dart Trap to it. It may take a few tries.
Lock the box.
Lock on floor long side facing North-South.
Turn once with an Interior Decorator tool.
Cast mage spell Unlock on the box.
Release.
Place in pack long side facing West-East.
Double click to test.