• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Training Suggestion - Drop Music?

O

Ossie1

When training Disco or Provoke, has anyone tried dropping their music down so that the chance of success is lower? For example, if you are in the 80s provoke, try dropping music down to about 60 so that you have about a 60% chance of provoking Grizzly bears. Can you then use Grizz to gain?

Just a thought.

N

Nenime

Right - but only above GM level.

There are two skill checks: one for Music and after that the one for the effective Bard skill. At GM Music you always pass the first check so the barding success depends only on the secondary skill. Below GM, if you fail the first check, the second one will not be applied hence no chance to gain there.

Above GM Music, you'll get an additional chance to succeed (+1% per skill point) - which is undesired while gaining. Optimal: Train Music to 100, lock, train Disco/Provo to desired level and after mastering this: unlock Music.

Tip: Try to get a Skill Tutor Statuette which will tell you the optimal gaining rage. Very recommendable. With this you can try out different monsters and bonus equipment.

F

Fink

When training Disco or Provoke, has anyone tried dropping their music down so that the chance of success is lower? For example, if you are in the 80s provoke, try dropping music down to about 60 so that you have about a 60% chance of provoking Grizzly bears. Can you then use Grizz to gain?

Just a thought.
I've done that, at higher levels though.

It works well if you're not too hung up on failed music attempts. I hit the healer grove in Ilshenar with 85 Music with good results. A bit later on I dropped to 70 Music but that was a little frustrating with "You play poorly and there is no effect" coming up a lot.

Now I'm actually using jewels to go over my skill so I'm in a good range for training while I hunt Swoop. The gains are good and so is the loot.

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
from how i look at it, its silly.

if your concerned about getting a gain, why would you drop your music, being that it FIRST has to do a music check before it even does the barding skill check.

so if you fail your music check you dont even get a check on your disco or provo (or peace)

you can accomplish the same thing by just locking your music at GM and hunting bigger game.
example - instead of trianing on pretamed cu's go and try pre-tamed hyru's or greater dragons ect ect ect.

i just dont see the appeal of working a skill when you run the risk of not even toggling the skill because you fail the first check.

ive heard of people dropping music down into the 40-50 while training.
they swear they gain, but i cant see it.