• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Training Question

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm just curious what would be recommended. I'm currently training my first Paladin. And while it's going good so far, I have a question thats been bugging me.

I'm wondering if using jewelry to up your chiv skill is a good idea while training? Currently, I'm not using any, and my skill is at 65. I'm wondering if using jewelry to cast harder spells would make my gains improve any? I'd be interested in what everyone has to say on the subject.

G

my experience has always been...the lower the skill the faster the gains!

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I toyed around with it for a little while after posting, didn't seem to make much of a difference other than mana usage. The more you succeed at casting said spell, the more you tend to use up mana. Using a LRC suit helps to save tithing points, but does little for lowering mana costs. Perhaps I should look into building a new training suit.

G

As far as chiv is concerned I would just tell you to lock it. Nobody needs more than 70 chiv imo

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just curious, but why would you say stop at 70? Is there no further benefit of going to GM when it comes to spell duration or effectiveness?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
While I wouldn't go to GM, stopping at anything less than 80 is suicidal, IMO, for a PvM Paladin. Even at 85, I fail WAY too often at Enemy of One, and Holy Light never works when I want it to. God forbid you want to use Noble Sacrifice to rez a group at a hunt - there's only a 10% chance at 70 skill, and even 85 is only a 40% chance of a successful cast (And trust me, there is nothing greater for a group at a peerless hunt, Doom, or an event like Magincia, than having chiv high enough to reliably cast Noble Sacrifice, and having Knight of Compassion). I've simultaneously rezzed over 10 people at once with one spell, to 80% of their HP before, at an event - and if you can time it properly with a bandage heal to yourself, you will only be vulnerable for a second or two, and will probably be back up to full stamina a few seconds later when I got the mana back to divine fury.

Most people who run with 70 or less are either PvPers, Samurais with a little Chiv, or both at once.

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks for the info, based on what you've said I modified my template. I had intended to move up to at least gm with chiv, now I'm positive. Perhaps I may even scroll it down the road. I've also decided to drop focus all together and replace it with parry.