• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Training Magery - How Long?

G

I reactivated an old account to come back to UO. I had, at the time I quit, a mage who was approximately 94-95 in magery. For some reason, when I reactivated the account, my other four characters were there, but the mage was not (sent an e-mail to UO asking why)...

Anyways, I'm thinking I'm going to have to retrain a mage, especially for marking runes, etc. I'd like to train magery up to whatever it takes to be able to mark in a day, if possible.

I've never been good at following instructions, or I have bad luck, so some of the outlandish methods I'll probably not be able to do (you know - the one where you stand on one leg while wearing a wizard's hat of fast gaining and cast invisibility on your left toe while in the presence of three shadow pixies....)

I guess I will shop around for a 100% LRC suit so I don't have to spend so much time and money on reagents just now.

Main purpose is to get this guy to be able to mark (initially) so I can make some runes to the house...

I

imported_GFY

You could save some agravation and buy a bunch of mark scrolls.

If you make a new character with 50 eval and 45 magery you should be marking scrolls in no time.

Is it possible you transfered your mage to another shard?

G

<blockquote><hr>

You could save some agravation and buy a bunch of mark scrolls.

[/ QUOTE ]

You know, sometimes the obvious escapes me. That will handle my immediate needs. As far as transferring the mage, I don't recall doing that or that even being an option when I quit the account... In any case, with the LRC suits, I don't think it will be that unenjoyable to train, esp since you solved my rune issue.

I

imported_Farsight

Given the right training materials, training a complete mage or necro mage will take less than a week. You'll be playing a lot, but you don't have to run a less than legal program 24/7.

The materials you will need are:
-An LRC suit. Mana Regeneration and Lower mana costs are VERY encouraged for training, but not required. Resists are completely optional.
-A mage weapon with spell channeling and a big skill penalty
-Patience. But that's required for any training.

First, equip everything.
Second, attack as many spectral spellbinders in Haven for about an hour to get your resisting spells and your stats to where you want them.
Third, train magery by either killing things (if you aren't well financed) or through repetitive actions. Either way works as well as the other.

Within a few short hours, a couple of days at the most, you will have very high magery, evaluating intelligence, resisting spells, and meditation.

Then, should you want, you could repeat the training sessions with necromancy and spirit speak instead of magery. Or you could train wrestling, inscription and/or spellweaving.

Anyway, the short version. LRC, mage weapon, train. Takes a couple of days.

G

Alright, I have the LRC suit - regs not an issue - BUT, I cast spells for two hours non stop and went from 51 to 55 magery and that was it. I was casting mostly 5th circle with the occasional fireball thrown in and it was slow as CRAP. Two hours for 4 gains at 50? This is ridiculous.

P

Prudentis

equip the mentioned -magery weapon.
Best would be -29 wand.
You will end up with a modified skill of 26, which will enable you to cast 3rd and even 2nd level spells for gain. This way you will be able to cast much more spells in the same time, thus increasing the gains/time.

G

I'm going to start looking for a wand or some such. I've seen them laying around with over -20 to magery, but didn't loot them - grrrrr!!! Anyways, I have been training inscription, which is going really well (to 75 from 0 in two days, total of about 7 hours), so my intel is already 120, and I have made about 50k selling the scrolls back to the NPCs, so I bought a boat.

I sailed around last night trying the 8x8. It works -fairly- well, and I did go from 55 magery to 62 in about 45 minutes of sailing around casting magic reflection and mixing in some cor pors (fizzle alot). I'lk keep trying the 8x8 and look for a wand. Right now, I fizzle so much on magic reflection it's not funny. According to the calculator, I should have roughly a 60% chance of casting magic reflection (5th circle) but it sure seems more like 40-50%. I can cor por about 1/15 or 20 tries, even though the calculator says I should succeed 25% of the time at 62. Blade spirits are also running about 40-50%. I dunno, I could be one of the guys who just fizzles more than average?

Training inscription prior to magery (magery being at 50.1 while I was working inscription) also caused my focus and meditation to rise like crazy, and both are at or close to 95 (I'm a master stoic)...

P

Prudentis

The wands are VERY common. Just ask around and you will get one for free.
Technically 8x8 shouldn't work now, because the movement restriction was removed. You should be able to gain on difficulty based skills if you are moving or not. From my experiance nowadays with magery (training two characters to 110 and one to 120) and VET, seeing better gains while moving is just psychological and not backed up by actual measurable values.

And about fizzeling, probably just bad luck. The random number generator is an odd thing sometimes. Having seen how oddly it performs, I guess the algorithm is just not very good at creating "random" numbers.

G

Wow, thanks for all the helpful information. I didn't know that 8x8 was not needed for magery anymore since it's still in the faq (although it did seem to work better than sitting at the graveyard casting magic reflection and blade spirits from one spot).

Very helpful. With 120 intel, I can cast magic reflection non-stop without waiting ever having to wait for mana to recharge. Since I'm failing so much at 62, I never get below 50 or so mana. I also need to make some rune books, so tonight I'll be traveling around trying to use the mark spell quite often.