• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Imbuing] Training Imbuing up past 100 ........

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just passed 100 imbuing (am 101 now) and am working towards 120.

Question.

What I imbue is meaningless as long as my "success chance" stays reasonably low like 30%-40% ??

Or is there something particular I need to imbue in order to increase my skill gain chances?

Thanks.

Lorax_Pacific

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Congratz...No. Get that crystal ball of knowledge. You need to imbue just below 60% for maximum skill gain and resource limitations. Isn't there a guide you can read or something.

-Lorax

Percivalgoh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I shot for the 50 to 60 range but I guess if you have lots of imbuing ingredients it's going to be faster to do it with less success

T-Hunt

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just made iron daggers using dc then shadow and at 116 copper runic hammers and inbue them with hit dispell.

I would use 1 amber and magic essence only, did not need to use any more since it was always around 50 - 70% succes chance..

I would have the odd 100 uo succes chance i wiuld inbue it one time to see if i would get a gain, and yes i did a few times.

Hammers are dirt cheep like 2 K for DC ones and 5K for shadow on GL

O

Old Man of UO

around 50 - 70% succes chance..

Such a high success rate still gives gains to skill training ?

I thought anything above 50% hardly gave any gains........
Nope, T-Hunt is right, at least for imbuing. You lose fewer gems because you succeed more often and only gain when you succeed.

I didn't want to use runic hammers, instead I hunted at miasma and collected everything to unravel for residue. Any rings/bracelets I put in a separate bag and used for imbuing right up to 120 skill. This way I only had to pay for the gems, which the gold from miasma pretty much did.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
around 50 - 70% succes chance..

Such a high success rate still gives gains to skill training ?

I thought anything above 50% hardly gave any gains........
Nope, T-Hunt is right, at least for imbuing. You lose fewer gems because you succeed more often and only gain when you succeed.

I didn't want to use runic hammers, instead I hunted at miasma and collected everything to unravel for residue. Any rings/bracelets I put in a separate bag and used for imbuing right up to 120 skill. This way I only had to pay for the gems, which the gold from miasma pretty much did.

Actually, it seems to vary wildly by person.

T-Hunt's way works for some people, but others (like myself) got their best gains in the 45-50 range, and almost no gains above 55%, except for GGS.

And, the easiest way, with a 120 Smith, to get the stuff to train on, was to grab an ASH and make any of the Platemail Jingasa helmets, exceptional.

On those, then toss on 89 or 90 luck once, a decent amount of RPD once, and then add the least amount of LRC you can add and still remain in the 45-55% chance range.

I only had to craft about 120 (+/-20) of these to get to 120 from 101, adjusting the RPD & LRC amounts along the way, using about 8000-10000 gems total (all citrine & amber) and half that in residue...

O

Old Man of UO

Actually, it seems to vary wildly by person. ...
I wonder why it varies so much from person to person. Part of that answer of course is because anecdotal evidence and personal impressions are not vary reliable.

Other than that, when someone asks me how to gain in a skill, best advice I can give them is "this worked for me," but try something else if you aren't gaining fastest enough. Always try something new if what you are doing isn't working.

K

Kallie Pigeon

I wonder why it varies so much from person to person. Part of that answer of course is because anecdotal evidence and personal impressions are not vary reliable.

Other than that, when someone asks me how to gain in a skill, best advice I can give them is "this worked for me," but try something else if you aren't gaining fastest enough. Always try something new if what you are doing isn't working.
There is a lot of factors involving game play variety. It depends on how much gold you have, how much imbuing items you have, how much you enjoy doing imbuing, how much time you have to play and what are your objectives in the game. While I find Basara's answers very thorough and obviously great advice for many other players, sometimes I do things different from her. It's not that she hasn't found the best way to do things for most players but I find I rather do something else. However saying that she is the best source of information to me in this game. What she says makes me see the game clearer and even if I don't always take her advice (I do most of the time) I do learn from what she says and try to keep that information handy in case it becomes something I find useful.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
There is a lot of factors involving game play variety. It depends on how much gold you have, how much imbuing items you have, how much you enjoy doing imbuing, how much time you have to play and what are your objectives in the game. While I find Basara's answers very thorough and obviously great advice for many other players, sometimes I do things different from her. It's not that she hasn't found the best way to do things for most players but I find I rather do something else. However saying that she is the best source of information to me in this game. What she says makes me see the game clearer and even if I don't always take her advice (I do most of the time) I do learn from what she says and try to keep that information handy in case it becomes something I find useful.

Ahh.hhemm.

While I did sing soprano up into my Freshman year in High school (From being a year ahead of the rest of my age group), I'm quite Male, thank you....

IF the manga of the same name is what is throwing you off, Basara is primarily a male name, and IIRC the manga is about a girl who, in order to preserve her dead brother's legacy and battle, assumed his identity to carry on his fight. But, that's not the Basara I chose my handle from, but instead the one from Macross 7, which was a Lennon-esque rock musician that performed karaoke while flying a transforming mech against an alien enemy (partially for morale purposes, but also because his music would break the brainwashed zombie (traditional zombie, not brain-eating) condition of the human & Zentraedi pilots taken over by the aliens and used as fodder in attacking the colony ship - as well as causing the actual aliens pain).

K

Kallie Pigeon

Ahh.hhemm.

While I did sing soprano up into my Freshman year in High school (From being a year ahead of the rest of my age group), I'm quite Male, thank you....

IF the manga of the same name is what is throwing you off, Basara is primarily a male name, and IIRC the manga is about a girl who, in order to preserve her dead brother's legacy and battle, assumed his identity to carry on his fight. But, that's not the Basara I chose my handle from, but instead the one from Macross 7, which was a Lennon-esque rock musician that performed karaoke while flying a transforming mech against an alien enemy (partially for morale purposes, but also because his music would break the brainwashed zombie (traditional zombie, not brain-eating) condition of the human & Zentraedi pilots taken over by the aliens and used as fodder in attacking the colony ship - as well as causing the actual aliens pain).
Sorry mam......ummmm....sir :) and thanks for all your help

gortman

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Three cheers for Basara! He has done so much to help me since I returned to the game last December. His guidance and patience is legendary, at least in my book.

Basara is among the best of a group of extremely helpful and friendly folks on LA shard, which I'm proud to call home. :)

I've been using his imbuing guide and so far it's been working as advertised.

Percivalgoh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
LOL Yeah I thought Basara was probably a guy since it's so unusual to have a girl math ......expert

J

[JD]

what if you don't have a smith for raising imbuing?
i have a 104 tailor, and 97.1 imbuing

any suggestions for best skill gain using tailoring instead (if possible)?

thanks

Gorbs

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
DC hammers are 1-2 properties at 40-100%. Spined are 1-3 properties at 40-100%.

If you have a bunch of kits you could use them to make regular leather caps.

I'd suggest attempting to imbue luck (residue + citrine) , RFD (residue + citrine), or LRC (residue + amber). Sort the ones that are in your target range (i take 40-79%) into a bag to practice imbuing now. Sort the ones that are below your range (0-39%) into a bag to imbue later. What you do with the 80%+ items is up to you.

Percivalgoh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Caps take little leather and should be just as good as smithed stuff except the platemail jingasa has mage armor so has 1 property without using a runic however tailoring runics are easy enough to get. It probably would work well. Just keep track of how many properties and keep adding single imbues of higher properties till you get to where you can imbue with a single gem and single magical residue and get 40 to 60% or even 70% success. I liked it right at about 50% not below or above that much. If you use spined leather it will give you some luck but if you are doing the luck imbue then it's pointless so regular leather is probably the way to go. I just unraveled all the stuff I didn't use immediately but then I am limited in space in my house.

J

[JD]

so will i need that crystal ball of knowledge to do it with leather, to tell me what # chance I have?

copper runic sounds easier with 1 imbue, but my smith is only 50 skill so not sure how much smithing i'd need to be able to make them for imbuing purposes

Percivalgoh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
so will i need that crystal ball of knowledge to do it with leather, to tell me what # chance I have?

copper runic sounds easier with 1 imbue, but my smith is only 50 skill so not sure how much smithing i'd need to be able to make them for imbuing purposes
The crystal ball of knowledge is cool but if you look at the imbuing menu the percentage of chance will show as a brown number if it's too hard and yellow if it's in the right area. I used one for a while but after a short bit it seemed pointless. They are easy enough to get however. If you feel unsure then the ball will help you to be more sure but it won't tell you the chances only that you are in the right range for maximizing skill gain.

gortman

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Maybe you could just ask a legendary smith on your shard make the jingasas for you. If you were on LA shard, I'd be happy to do it for you. If I remember correctly, though, you play on Sonoma - right?

Anyone on Sonoma that could help out JD?

soze

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
ive been training my imbuing up 120 (i'm at 107ish now)

I am on sonoma....be happy to make some for you i have a 120 smith and 100 arms lore