• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Training Frenzied Ostards

F

francis

What's the best way to train frenzied ostards (assuming i have no mining to mine up elementals). They die so easily I'm finding it difficult to train. Any suggestions are greatly appreciateed :)

R

RichDC

I would suggest rasing there skills on ettins, try and do it one at a time until they get higher HP then you can risk them "tanking" low level monsters while you vet and/or mage heal.

F

francis

Thanks Rich :) i'll give that a try. I just got done wasting an hour on earth elementals (no gains). Look out despise here i come! :D

R

RichDC

Thanks Rich :) i'll give that a try. I just got done wasting an hour on earth elementals (no gains). Look out despise here i come! :D
Another thing, you need to be fighting stuff within 20skill points of your frenzieds, so if they are 40 wrestle you should aim to fight things of 60wrestle, any higher and they wont gain.

F

francis

Thanks again! :) I think i found a good spot to train now (kappas) but i'm forced to wonder: Why train only one at a time? cause they kill so fast when they are together or something?

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That's it exactly. If your newly obtained pack can kill an ettin faster than you can spam "all kill," you miss a lot of chances to hit things and thus gain skill.

R

RichDC

Thanks again! :) I think i found a good spot to train now (kappas) but i'm forced to wonder: Why train only one at a time? cause they kill so fast when they are together or something?
Never thought of those, im not a new world fan :p

That is one reason, the other is that with one a) you only need to heal one, if you end up drawing spawn tryin to vet2-3 could prove quite a challenge.
b) if things get hairy and you need to split, you can hop onto him and run without risking other pets.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
When I first started training up my pack, what I did was look for the lowest skilled one of all and start training that pet on its own so it caught up with the rest. I think started taking out first 2 then 3 at a time as I got better at managing them and they were able to cope with the monsters with a little less vet care. I'd take out my 2 small hell kittens then swap for the 3 big cats on another trip. It helps a lot if you arrange the health bars and healing macros in an easy to remember way. I tend to be dull - alphabetical pets FTW here :D

Also I tend to do as suggested already - each pet has its own monster when I hunt. Frenzies are tough little gits so you may find they get ahead of the spawn speed a bit while you do this. They're pretty quick to train up though.

Wenchy

Hinotori

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My pack tamer uses peace and disco so I have some advantages that others wont have. The last pack of frenzied I trained I just took out and used until they were at or near gm. Lots and lots of champ spawns (my guild did the Ilsh spawns even before they changed them). Yes, they died a lot but they gained much more than they lost. I'm to lazy to actually work up magic resist on them. Usually anything that they fight that cause them to need the resist will kill them with spells long before I can save them with aids or spells. My method is to try and disco the monster before sending them in so they kill it fast enough to not die. Certain creatures (such as cu sidhe) die best if I peace them as well/instead.

I'm working on putting together a new pack with high hits (over 100) and strength (over 150), now. I still need one more ossy to complete it and I'm being picky (not on color this time though). The current pack she uses is all the darkest blue/black. They all have over 100 hits but I didn't worry about their strength, I wanted a matching pack of that color. Everyone usually thinks that it is just one or two ossies until they start pulling health bars.

O

Old Man of UO

Get one trained up so it can tank against a shadow ele or other large creature, and stay alive while you heal.

Once you get one that can do that, take you tank ostard out of the stables FIRST (very important) then the rest of your pack. Take your ostards to the training grounds and either tell your tank ostard to attack first, or say "all kill" and the first one out of the stable SHOULD attack and get hit first... should. Most monsters don't change target, but if you invis your tank it will change target. Occasionally though, well ostard poop happens.

Doing it this way you only have to heal one pet, not all 5.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Get one trained up so it can tank against a shadow ele or other large creature, and stay alive while you heal.

Once you get one that can do that, take you tank ostard out of the stables FIRST (very important) then the rest of your pack. Take your ostards to the training grounds and either tell your tank ostard to attack first, or say "all kill" and the first one out of the stable SHOULD attack and get hit first... should. Most monsters don't change target, but if you invis your tank it will change target. Occasionally though, well ostard poop happens.

Doing it this way you only have to heal one pet, not all 5.
I do this with my mare and kite combo I bring mare out first 90% of time they attck my mare unless my mare was far away and my kite hit first

Metalstorm

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've trained a couple ostards so far.
Using discord I got them both to GM in all three skills just on ettins, bulls and greater mongbats. (All found around the New Haven moongate area. Awesome place to train taming on bulls and build an ostard up).
Spell resist was done using spectral spellbinders.
Six to eight of those things will bring an ostard's spell resist to GM within a few hours.

O

Old Man of UO

I've trained a couple ostards so far.
Using discord I got them both to GM in all three skills just on ettins, bulls and greater mongbats. (All found around the New Haven moongate area. Awesome place to train taming on bulls and build an ostard up).
Spell resist was done using spectral spellbinders.
Six to eight of those things will bring an ostard's spell resist to GM within a few hours.
Just a hint - if you have discord, most of the time it works best to also discord whatever monster you are training your pet on. It has to be within 25 points to gain skill, and the closer they are the faster both your pet and the monster gains... discord usually gets them closer and keeps them close.

Metalstorm

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thank you Old Man of UO for bringing that up.

That is so very true. I left out the important part about discording the ostard after it's wrestling skill has reached the 80s. That, and that my discord is still under GM so it doesn't drop the ostards skills too far.

Again thank you. That's good info that I should have included but as usual, I had a brain fart when posting :)

Escaflowne

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The Yomotsu Mines in Tokuno have Shadow Elementals spawn there, i would say lure one to the entrance and lure all the rest of the spawn away and start training :D

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I typically just ride my mountable pet to where the Shadow elemental spawns and train it there. It means I have to pay attention to the side-spawn and people running through (for the fire beetles), but it saves time in the long run not having to take two minutes to run it back to the entrance.