• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Training Fire Beetle...

Synbad

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Since the Fire beetle has very low hit points... what do you guys train yours on to get to the next training level without it taking forever to do?

Donavon

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Good Morning, Synbad.. there are a few places you can train them.. The first is pretty easy as they are just 1 slot pets..you get a tank pet like a 3slot cu..and have it attack first then put the beetle on ..This is of course is The crazed mage In the lower lvl of shame.. the 2nd is a favorite of my friend Tygrath.. The pirates on the open seas..you basicly use the same tactics... the 3rd is if you have friends or a 2nd account... You head down to underworld to the boss Navrey ...bare in mind if you use this method your pet must have at least 80 wrest skill and tactics for it to hit enough for the gains to be effective....You will find the 1st and 2nd lvls of the new system abit painful as they are coded to only gains .7-1.2 at max every given gain...but 3 to 4 will be super fast.. like 20-40 mins fast...and 4 to 5 is fairly steady too.. but slower then 3 to 4 as each monster will only offer 25% before ya have to either kill and respawn a new copy of that monster or move on to the another one... for the 2-5 there is always another mage in the heart of shame called the burning mage... he has a burning aura and a deadly breath attack..but offers good gains.. if you use him stay at range and heal your pet and don't forget to have taming mastery rolling... you can expect more then a few deaths in the first stages of a bugs training..but keep heart and know its fully worth the effort... when you reach 100% for the first time the only major advice I can offer is.. when you add its moves use this order or they will not all fit.. it bugs and comes up short... Exp goo(if you want the aoe build),armor ignore, Rune corruption, Poison. The poison is not required but its free damage that cost no mana and stops many low to mid lvl monsters from healing... Hope this helps mate.. there are many many other places to train them as well.. these are just the ones I enjoy... if you have anymore questions feel free to post or ask.. =^-^=

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Since the Fire beetle has very low hit points... what do you guys train yours on to get to the next training level without it taking forever to do?
If you have high seas, pirates from the pirate ships, just have a stronger 2-4 slot pet do the tanking. This is the quickest way, imo.

Otherwise, having a stronger pet tank at the crazed mage in shame. This takes longer than pirates, it doesn't take the setup of having to find pirate ships and scuttle them. But then you also don't get the booty.

Synbad

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Good Morning, Synbad.. there are a few places you can train them.. The first is pretty easy as they are just 1 slot pets..you get a tank pet like a 3slot cu..and have it attack first then put the beetle on ..This is of course is The crazed mage In the lower lvl of shame.. the 2nd is a favorite of my friend Tygrath.. The pirates on the open seas..you basicly use the same tactics... the 3rd is if you have friends or a 2nd account... You head down to underworld to the boss Navrey ...bare in mind if you use this method your pet must have at least 80 wrest skill and tactics for it to hit enough for the gains to be effective....You will find the 1st and 2nd lvls of the new system abit painful as they are coded to only gains .7-1.2 at max every given gain...but 3 to 4 will be super fast.. like 20-40 mins fast...and 4 to 5 is fairly steady too.. but slower then 3 to 4 as each monster will only offer 25% before ya have to either kill and respawn a new copy of that monster or move on to the another one... for the 2-5 there is always another mage in the heart of shame called the burning mage... he has a burning aura and a deadly breath attack..but offers good gains.. if you use him stay at range and heal your pet and don't forget to have taming mastery rolling... you can expect more then a few deaths in the first stages of a bugs training..but keep heart and know its fully worth the effort... when you reach 100% for the first time the only major advice I can offer is.. when you add its moves use this order or they will not all fit.. it bugs and comes up short... Exp goo(if you want the aoe build),armor ignore, Rune corruption, Poison. The poison is not required but its free damage that cost no mana and stops many low to mid lvl monsters from healing... Hope this helps mate.. there are many many other places to train them as well.. these are just the ones I enjoy... if you have anymore questions feel free to post or ask.. =^-^=
very helpful.. thanks

Synbad

Sage
Stratics Veteran
If you have high seas, pirates from the pirate ships, just have a stronger 2-4 slot pet do the tanking. This is the quickest way, imo.

Otherwise, having a stronger pet tank at the crazed mage in shame. This takes longer than pirates, it doesn't take the setup of having to find pirate ships and scuttle them. But then you also don't get the booty.
thank you :)

Neton

Journeyman
As armor ignore causes physical damages, does it really help to put onto a fire beetle which is 100% fire damage?

Mordha

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
With my PP mare done, I'm moving on to my next project, a fire beetle.
My normal way is to skill train a pet up a bit before I start training. I'm doing that right now, but I'm wondering if I would be better off getting at least one round of training done first. And if that is the case, would it be better for me to dump the first round points into hp and str?
My plan for specials/magics is armor ignore, rune corruption and poison (maybe). I'm a little iffy on poison given the current state of poisoning on pets that don't have it naturally. So, is it worth the 100 points or not?

Mordha

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
As with all pets, set the resists, stam. dex and regens to make training go faster.
Sorry, I forgot to mention resists (that’s one of the first things I fix on every pet in the first round). I don’t mind spending more to get stam and dex to 150 (my beetle is currently 60). But with 100 hp, wouldn’t it be better to bump hp up a bit and do regens on the next round, Maybe I’m wrong but 100 hp could be dicey while training for the next few levels?

*edit* I do plan to add AI and RC. I’m wondering if poisoning is worth grabbing, thoughts?

*edit* fixed a wording error.

Last edited:

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Sorry, I forgot resists (that’s one of the first things I fix on every pet in the first round). I don’t mind spending more to get stam and dex to 150 (my beetle is currently 60). But with 100 hp, wouldn’t it be better to bump hp up a bit and do regens on the next round, Maybe I’m wrong but 100 hp could be dicey while training for the next few levels?

*edit* I do plan to add AI and RC. I’m wondering if poisoning is worth grabbing, thoughts?
If you set the resists first, you dont need to have HP while training. I use the mage for those. You will increse the HP at some point. Just dont forget the resists next time.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
As armor ignore causes physical damages, does it really help to put onto a fire beetle which is 100% fire damage?
You mis-understand how Armor Ignore works.

If I remember correctly, Armor Ignore makes a 90% of normal (direct) damage range attack vs. 0 resists. That the displayed damage range, modified by strength, anatomy and tactics bonuses, bonuses of Damage increase (DI, slayer, etc. for weapons), etc.

The elemental spread of the pet's normal damage (or the weapon, for AI with a weapon in the hands of a dexxer) is totally ignored in the process, going just by the listed modifiers. And, RC seems to put that 0% target resist into negatives, since an AI landing after RC seems to do more damage than either alone.

Mordha

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
If you set the resists first, you dont need to have HP while training. I use the mage for those. You will increse the HP at some point. Just dont forget the resists next time.
I fixed my post for a wording error. I hadn’t begun training the beetle yet

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
That could be 5 slots and maxxed by now!!

Mordha

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
It would’ve been tough trying to keep the beetle alive last Sunday. She wasn’t bonded yet, which was odd as I tamed the previous weekend Saturday. I also only get to play on weekends.
Once I get started, and get through the first round, I’m sure it’ll go fairly fast ;)

Khyro

Sage
Stratics Veteran
You mis-understand how Armor Ignore works.

If I remember correctly, Armor Ignore makes a 90% of normal (direct) damage range attack vs. 0 resists. That the displayed damage range, modified by strength, anatomy and tactics bonuses, bonuses of Damage increase (DI, slayer, etc. for weapons), etc.

The elemental spread of the pet's normal damage (or the weapon, for AI with a weapon in the hands of a dexxer) is totally ignored in the process, going just by the listed modifiers. And, RC seems to put that 0% target resist into negatives, since an AI landing after RC seems to do more damage than either alone.
RC will halve resists, so it cannot take them into the negative. You may be thinking of Discord, which can take resists into the negative.

However, Armor Ignore will not hit harder on a mob with negative resists, since the Armor Ignore attack is based on 90% damage against 0 resist always. The damage difference you were seeing may be due to the natural damage spread of the pet, or they may have been non-armor ignore hits.

This can be testing right now on TC1. @Khaelor got Bleak to spawn a drone there for damage testing. When discorded, the drone has -28 resists and you can see the difference on normal hits; however when an armor ignore hits, there is no damage bonus from the negative resists:

Armor Ignore Hit:

Normal Hit:

The real nice thing about this drone is it shows the pre-resist and actual damage, so you can see how resist are affecting your damage.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I'm really not sure what it is, other than I see ranges around 120 +/- 10 on roof when one thing is active (AI), then suddenly get a spike about 160, which would seem to be more than just AI affecting it. and both are well after the discord went on, or on a VB which can't be discoed.

Leira of Asrai

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've recently returned and have started training all types of pets. For the low HP pets (1 or 2 slots) I always bring a well trained 3 or 4 slot pet to tank. I train them all on the crazed mage. I usually start training immediately after taming and rarely wait for them to bond.

To get to 100% on the first round can take a couple of days, but it goes quicker after each round. I always set resists to where I want and put the rest into HP then STR then Mana. I didn't put AI on my fire beetle until the 2nd round and put both Rune Corrupt and Poisoning on in the last round.

Tabby Kapak

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
For those who don't want to bring a tank, since gains for training % seem to come quicker on the pet receiving the hits, we prefer to train our low level pets against either the Renowned Ratmen Bosses in the Cavern of the Discarded, or on a Wrong Cave Troll. Each of those give greatly gains (during power hour), and do caress more than hit, so good to get that first level done. Although Vitavi has some damage spikes with Spell Plague which can get tricky, and another thing to be careful with is others luring a horde of Courtiers that make your healing challenging. Rakktavi seems to spawn those nasty scorpions, so also not ideal when training a 1 slot pet. Needing a cure at the wrong time can be deadly.

hardy-

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Have an easier way, you can tank crazed with a firebettle 1 slot, just have a high MR and make a macro
Cast poison field 'enemy' (mage)
Cast Greater heal 'pet'(firebeetle)
have like 1% chance of get pet poisoned then you quick cure pet and return to macro.

you can train a pet from lv1-5 on crazed mage in less then 2 hours doing this (have an archer and a 5 slot pet to kill the mage when stop gains from the mob)

my best time lv1-5 was 1:30 i dont even left crazed mage area to train pet, i was with 2 accounts (1 tammer and 1 mystic warrior (with healing)) so when i got 100% with the pet i just mount in it and let the warrior destroy the mob, when 35% hp i wod the mob with my tammer and start over.
You can do even faster if you have friends to help you killing the crazed when needed, and if you are 3slot allready when the crazed is on cd get some % on the unbound vortex until the crazed respawn

Last edited:

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Have an easier way, you can tank crazed with a firebettle 1 slot, just have a high MR and make a macro
Cast poison field 'enemy' (mage)
Cast Greater heal 'pet'(firebeetle)
have like 1% chance of get pet poisoned then you quick cure pet and return to macro.

you can train a pet from lv1-5 on crazed mage in less then 2 hours doing this (have an archer and a 5 slot pet to kill the mage when stop gains from the mob)

my best time lv1-5 was 1:30 i dont even left crazed mage area to train pet, i was with 2 accounts (1 tammer and 1 mystic warrior (with healing)) so when i got 100% with the pet i just mount in it and let the warrior destroy the mob, when 35% hp i wod the mob with my tammer and start over.
You can do even faster if you have friends to help you killing the crazed when needed, and if you are 3slot allready when the crazed is on cd get some % on the unbound vortex until the crazed respawn
The original way I listed up there was a rather lazy way, didnt require anything from the player.

We use the poison method at crazed mages for other low resist pets, not beetles. Beetles we have an even quicker method that trains 3 in the time it takes to train 1, hint it has to do with Allosaurus.

hardy-

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The original way I listed up there was a rather lazy way, didnt require anything from the player.

We use the poison method at crazed mages for other low resist pets, not beetles. Beetles we have an even quicker method that trains 3 in the time it takes to train 1, hint it has to do with Allosaurus.
The same trick we use to train chiv on allosaurus, but ye.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
As for skill training a Beetle, the first thing i usually do after they bond, is i get them up to GM Resist with Spectral Spellbinders at New Haven. Once they GM Resist, let the Spectral Spellbinders continue to cast on it, and the Beetle will quickly gain up to 125 STR/DEX. The 125 DEX helps them gain the melee skills faster. I then take the Beetle to Gregorio, disarm him, then have the Beetle attack Gregorio. Once the Beetle is in the 50s Wrest/Tact, i then Discord the Beetle, and he'll gain all the way up into the 70s/80s in Wrest/Tact. Then i take him to the Shadow Ore Ele in Yomotsu Mines, have another pet tank the Ele, then get the Beetle up to GM Wrest/Tact on the Ele. After then, is when i level their slots.

2 slot Najasaurus tanking, 3 Beetles, running "As One".

Gnoopey

Journeyman
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Lure the allosaurus into either the Sakkhra or the Urali village and let one of the natives do the tanking?