• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Training discordance

Xris

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I'm at 90 disco, is it faster to use the mastery or skill to gain?

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Never mind mastery... just get out and hunt.

Like with any skill, these days, the best you can do is work the skill every day at least 1x... more the better. Clearly, there are jewels and the skill will build under those until you dont need them someday.

Draza

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Lower music to 90, then use mastery. Will still take a long time.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I always train music up to GM first then work the other skills. Why do you drop it to 90?
Less chance to succeed therefore when you succeed it is a higher chance to gain... wait that doesn't seem right... oh yeah it's UO so it is right :D

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
actually thats not right.

barding is done in a couple passes.
the first pass is the music pass.
if you have GM music then it passes that and moves on to the skill you are using to check for a pass there (or gain).

so if you drop your music to 90 then 1/10 times you are going to fail the music pass and you wont even move on to the skill your trying to train, which, when your training is counter productive.
so yes, you are correct you will have a less chance of succeeding but not for the reason you are wanting.

ideally you want to have your music at GM (100) so that it will do the music pass and skip over it because you are at 100 and then straight off to the skill pass.

and you dont want to go higher then 100 because then you get into bonus's and you dont want bonus's when your training.

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
and to answer the OP, the mastery is the fastest way to train from 90 to 120.
will take you a couple days.

also, its not just faster but its also less work.
the mastery you just chain the spell over and over.
doing disco by hand your gonna need a boat load of animals.
(literally..... a boat load)

be sure you set yourself up for success by having a LMC/MR suit on and having med (and focus too if you can) on your guy so you can chain the spell faster.

also, if you have access to soulstones you can take off all other skills so that you only have music and disco and med and you will gain faster - less skills faster gains.

Draza

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
While music is trained in 2 passes, it doesnt do that for the mastery spell, only targeting a creature. First to pkay pretty music, then to play it bad enough to distort things ...

For the mastery, it raises the difficulty with lower music, but you will go from very easy to easy with the skill trainer statue, increasing you chance to gain skill.

If you try at 120 music and 90 disco, i think i had to easy by 110 disco.

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
While music is trained in 2 passes, it doesnt do that for the mastery spell, only targeting a creature. First to pkay pretty music, then to play it bad enough to distort things ...

For the mastery, it raises the difficulty with lower music, but you will go from very easy to easy with the skill trainer statue, increasing you chance to gain skill.

while i know what your saying the Dev that actually MADE the barding mastery posted in the barding forum years ago about this very thing.
(or was it in a PM..... grrrrrr getting older sucks!)

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED

Skill trainer statue? What is that? Ty for info!

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Skill trainer statue? What is that? Ty for info!
There is a Skill Trainer globe I think it is you can get from doing a quest in Ter Mur... I forget who gives it but it's fairly simple and it basically when you turn it on and have it in your pack tells while you are working a skill whether what you are doing is "easy" "difficult" or whatever letting you know your working your skill in the right good range for gaining...

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Just equip some +skill (not discord) jewels and targetself on a boat. You’re welcome.
ya with that recent change to disco i had wondered about that.

Draza

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Otherwise, the statue was from kingdom reborn first came out, a quest in newhaven , and yhe original 3d client.

Same thing. It tells you where you are at on your success chance for best gains.

Took me about 28 hours to train disco, being my third skill i belive(music, peace, then disco before provo) and im not gonna do it again to time it if i had 120 music instead.

I do remember my gains stopped while i had 120 music, but that could have been REALLY bad rng.

Nyxx

Adventurer
Just equip some +skill (not discord) jewels and targetself on a boat. You’re welcome.
1. What do you mean by equipping +skills that aren't disco...? How exactly does that work? So you mean if i add +tactics and +fencing i'll gain discord using the mastery? Someone please explain because that doesn't make sense to me.

2. So how exactly do you use mastery to gain discord the best? I'm at 90 disco 100 music and casting despair on myself...not working...Someone please explain how this works? Thanks!

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
1. What do you mean by equipping +skills that aren't disco...? How exactly does that work? So you mean if i add +tactics and +fencing i'll gain discord using the mastery? Someone please explain because that doesn't make sense to me.

2. So how exactly do you use mastery to gain discord the best? I'm at 90 disco 100 music and casting despair on myself...not working...Someone please explain how this works? Thanks!
You can discord yourself over and over now. I do not know the gains tho.

Nyxx

Adventurer
does that work from 90? Because i'm only at 90 and i don't know if that's high enough for me to discord myself..

So has gaining with masteries been nerfed, because i'm at 90 using despair on myself and not getting a gain at all in an hour?

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
does that work from 90? Because i'm only at 90 and i don't know if that's high enough for me to discord myself..

So has gaining with masteries been nerfed, because i'm at 90 using despair on myself and not getting a gain at all in an hour?
i dont think he meant use the mastery on yourself, just the pain disco on your self.
since they added disco to be able to be used directly against other people now in the fel ruleset.

JohnnyO

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Pixies are a good mob to work if you're not using the mastery spells. Mid 80's bard difficulty non agro and there are hundreds of them east of Spirituality moongate.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Same way is it that you need to do to train peacing?
Then you raise music how by just playing the instrument? Or using the bard peace etc masteries? Ty in advance..

Nyxx

Adventurer
Hey all!

Thank you all tremendously for the helpful tips. Finally gaining disco...currently 101 and the mastery method works beautifully!

Hope I can count on you knowledgeable guys again in the near future :)

Nyx