• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Training a Greater Dragon

Ivory Norwind

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm just train a greater. I've seen his skills before taming it and wrestling was about 122.
Now this skill is stucked at 106.0.
All other skills raise but not wrestling. I've try to kill 2 times the dragon but wrestling drop of 0.2 and then it raises at 106.0 and always stucked at 106.0 :(
There is a way to make it raising?
Thanks

Gnoopey

Journeyman
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Skills like wrestling, tactics & resist spells can be retrained to 90% of the wild value! The same skills all drop 28% from wild value when you tame the greater dragon. Magery drops by 10% only through the taming and is then at its skill cap!

So if the beast had 122.0 wrestling as a wild one, it could achieve 122 * 0.9 = 109.8 as the skill cap! Or ((122 * 0.72) = tamed skill / 72 * 90

Ivory Norwind

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
But i've never seen a greater with wrestling so low, also the very poor one. Tamed, i mean :(

O

Old Man of UO

But i've never seen a greater with wrestling so low, also the very poor one. Tamed, i mean :(
My current dragon is capped at 100 wrestling, because his pre-tame skill was too low in wrestling. The high hit points and resists seem to make up for this, but there is nothing I can do to get the wrestling skill above 100. I'm out looking for a better dragon, but using this one until I do find a "perfect" greater.

Barry Gibb

Of Saintly Patience
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
According to the Hunter's Guide: Greater Dragons it could spawn with down to 115 Wrestling.

What are you hunting to train it's skills? You need to hunt creatures that are of equivalent skill for the best gains (+/- 10.0 of your pet's skill). In the case of your dragon, you would need to hunt creatures that spawned between 95.0-115.0 Wrestling. Here is a list of creatures from the Hunter's Guide search feature that it gave for 105.0 +/- 10.0 Wrestling.

Stayin Alive,

BG

A

Azumazi

Don't feel bad ivory, my first greater was crap in the tactics department. He has 113.6 wresting, but only 100.6 tactics. When I was first taming him I saw his really high magery and pretty good resists and went for that and totally forgot to check the rest.

At trained he has

Tookie
881 HP/ 634 Str / 125 Dex/Stam / 542 Int/Mana

80/90/41/57/59 resists

113.6 wrest, 100.6 tact, 94 resist (109.2 Cap) 100 anat
114 Magery

Now my new one has
-Hateraid-
855 HP / 618 Str / 125 Dex/Stam / 577 Int/Mana

82/81/54/60/75

118.6 Wrest, 115.0 Tact (117.1 Cap), 92.5 Resist (113.6 cap), 100 anat
104.9 Magery, 100 eval, 100 med.

Now, my new one has less hp and is under 900 hp, but his resists in my opinion totally make up for it, energy, poison are max, cold is 1 point off from max, phy is 3 points off, and fire is 9, but still over 80. Magery is a bit low, but he has good overall skills. It only took me about a day killing in destard to find the new one, so just go out there and bring a friend till you find one you want to keep.

M

maroite

Don't feel bad ivory, my first greater was crap in the tactics department. He has 113.6 wresting, but only 100.6 tactics. When I was first taming him I saw his really high magery and pretty good resists and went for that and totally forgot to check the rest.

At trained he has

Tookie
881 HP/ 634 Str / 125 Dex/Stam / 542 Int/Mana

80/90/41/57/59 resists

113.6 wrest, 100.6 tact, 94 resist (109.2 Cap) 100 anat
114 Magery

Now my new one has
-Hateraid-
855 HP / 618 Str / 125 Dex/Stam / 577 Int/Mana

82/81/54/60/75

118.6 Wrest, 115.0 Tact (117.1 Cap), 92.5 Resist (113.6 cap), 100 anat
104.9 Magery, 100 eval, 100 med.

Now, my new one has less hp and is under 900 hp, but his resists in my opinion totally make up for it, energy, poison are max, cold is 1 point off from max, phy is 3 points off, and fire is 9, but still over 80. Magery is a bit low, but he has good overall skills. It only took me about a day killing in destard to find the new one, so just go out there and bring a friend till you find one you want to keep.
I am nearly 100% sure that Dragon DPS is capped at around 70 per melee hit.

I have two tamers, one has a dragon with 115 or so wrestling and 115 tactics and blessed has around 690 Str.

My other tamer has a dragon with 770 Str blessed, 122 wrestling and 120ish tactics.

Both do about the same damage to the same mob. between 60-70 per hit.

So having high tactics imho isn't really worth it, but I will continue to test that theory. They both have 100 Anatomy as well, but the second dragon is not maxed on wrestling or tactics yet.

Also another little bit of evidence toward this is that when taming dragons with high str you get a lose of stamina. The dragon with 770 str when blessed has a normal str of 691. She has 125 dex but her sta is only 119.

Its kind of lame if there is a max to the dragons damage. What with sampires and dexxers pumping out 300+ damage with honor and being able to tank peerless just as effectively as a GD.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Since greater dragon damage was capped high str and tactics are pretty much worthless.

A

Azumazi

Since greater dragon damage was capped high str and tactics are pretty much worthless.
I thought that too till I saw the difference my GD did vs a disco'd enemy in comparison of my old to my new one, and there was a damage difference of about 15 points of damage.

Now as for a non disco'd enemy I didn't see too much of a difference, but since I run my GD with my buddy who's a disco tamer, it helps out.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I thought that too till I saw the difference my GD did vs a disco'd enemy in comparison of my old to my new one, and there was a damage difference of about 15 points of damage.
Nice, I guess once again, I don't understand how the capping worked... :)