• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Trained Unicorn only using 1/3 of mana

Garavon

Adventurer
One of my toons has a 5 slot Unicorn that's pretty tough and does really well against most mobs. However I noticed that it seems to stop using mana at around 1300/1500. I've tried issuing more kill commands, but it doesnt seem to want to use the mana to its full potential. It has around 88 Magery and only 60 Chiv, but has 1500 mana, full mana regen and gm for every other skill except detect hidden. Is there something I'm missing or did I waste a bunch of points thinking it would be wise to give a primarily magic pet a large mana pool?

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Wow thats a lot of mana on a Unicorn. What is the str and HP?

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Im going to guess it has just Chivalry and not Armor Ignore? Chiv spells are very little mana, pets can keep up mana with regens if it's just casting Chiv spells.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Im going to guess it has just Chivalry and not Armor Ignore? Chiv spells are very little mana, pets can keep up mana with regens if it's just casting Chiv spells.
If you post pictures with all its stats, it will help a lot to see what has happened. The 1500 mana for one, sounds too much. It may have other problems also.

Garavon

Adventurer
Here's the stats, I assumed between Magery, Chiv and Life Steal it would need a deep mana pool. Sounds like i may have been wrong. It does pretty well for the stuff I've thrown at it so far. I can solo Navrey (using 2 rocks) but handles her and I only have to heal mildly. Even with Navrey the lowest I've seen the mana get is like 900ish.

Mordha

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Pets can only have one magic. Clearly there are exceptions like the rune beetle.
To a degree, you have a decent unicorn but there are a few errors. You didn’t max the base damage, 700 str and 370 int would’ve been better. And while steal life sounds nice, it’s not really a great ability. Armor Ignore has better synergy with chivalry.
You didn’t add any scrolls, but it can be an expensive venture if you have limited funds, so I won’t go more into that. I have some pets with no scrolls as well and they do very well, in my opinion.

Garavon

Adventurer
Pets can only have one magic. Clearly there are exceptions like the rune beetle.
To a degree, you have a decent unicorn but there are a few errors. You didn’t max the base damage, 700 str and 370 int would’ve been better. And while steal life sounds nice, it’s not really a great ability. Armor Ignore has better synergy with chivalry.
You didn’t add any scrolls, but it can be an expensive venture if you have limited funds, so I won’t go more into that. I have some pets with no scrolls as well and they do very well, in my opinion.
Thanks for the info. I wouldn't have wasted points on Chiv if i knew they could only use one. I'm not using scrolls on this because it's just to hold me over until the cu on the toon bonds. I know AI is almost always the popular choice and most of my pets have it, I think I went with Life Steal because I'm used to cu's self healing so was trying to get it closer to be a self healer. And it is pretty good at it. Fortunately I haven't invested any gold or too much time on it. Might build another sometime with the new info from this thread. If I do go with just magery next time would 1500 mana be reasonable then? with more str and int?

Xris

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Always max base damage! Every training level I click it about 1000x to make sure it's done. Most damage done comes from base on most (if not all) pets.

Laura_Gold

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
...and always scroll Wrestling to anything above 100, so that if it dies it does not lose parrying.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
You see? By posting the stat sheets you found out priceless info, and great recommendations.
Like if you add a new magic,, it will overwrite the old one, so no more magery, and also vital to max base damage, important to boost str to 700, keep int at 370, and no need for 1500 mana, can do ok with 500 or even less, but if you have points left over after everything else you may want to put more, unless you want to scroll the pet.
I would also recommend this: If you have stashed PS like 120's in Chiv etc. : Before you blow them away on any pet, post the stats here, to see if it would be worth blowing away anywhere from 6 M (for just Chiv), or close to 150-200 M, to fully 120 PS the pet. People in here will try to help you anyway possible, as usually. I would also recommend not to listen to too many people in game, as you can easily be misled.
Dont be sad : We ALL messed up pets, and lost many hours of work when the revamp came out. We don't want to see this happen to any1 else..

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
...and always scroll Wrestling to anything above 100, so that if it dies it does not lose parrying.
Not sure that it loses parry, it may just not be visible when wres goes to 99. Then when wres is 100 again you will see parry again.

Mordha

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I have several unicorns on a female tamer that I intend to mess around with, one day. And I do plan to build out a unicorn with chiv and AI. Will I throw scrolls at any of them remains up in the air, as my female tamer is on an EJ acct and sadly I don’t play too often.
Keeping Magery is certainly cheaper then switching over to Chivalry. Personally, I’d like to see pets with other magic’s, in fact I’ve built pets with other magic’s. However at the end of the day, it’s almost a must to have at least one chiv pet in your stable, I probably have close to 10, if not more, with chivalry in 3 stables (read, 3 tamers not counting my female tamer).

I also don’t see any harm in having a pet or 2 with zero scrolls. They still make good pets......

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yeah, that Unicorn got messed up pretty bad. 1,500 Mana is WAY overkill, since all that really matters on a PvM pet is how fast they can regen the Mana back. For me, 150-250 Mana is fine. Steal Life is really weak. Base Damage needs to be maxed. STR needs to be maxed.

My favorite Unicorn, is a Disco+Conductive Blast Unicorn for a full 6x120 Tamer/Mage. They keep the enemy busy, and load it up with debuffs, which buff the damage of the Tamer/Mage's Death Ray.