• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Too Much Stuff

Dizzy

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
I was sorting some old gifts - valentine boxes from 2004, green and red stockings, red velvet boxes, anniversary gifts.

I've essentially run out of room to put stuff. Some of it can be turned in for points, I'm sure. I'm thinking I keep one of each (except for maybe the 6th anniversary bells, I think those are great).

I don't know how to display them, though, since they're all in separate bags.

What do you do with your stuff? Turn it in for points?

TheGrimReefer

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I actually have an additional house that I used just for holiday gift storage. Whatever I can turn in, Ill turn in. Other items that are not on the cleaning list will go into the Storage house until it does.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That is just not good UO thinking! THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS TO MUCH STUFF LOL. I mean seriously you need atleast 6 castles to 2 for just BODs, 2 for Holiday Gifts and atleast 2 more just for the random junk picked up every day. And if like me ZERO ORGANIZATION of anything........

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Best thing I ever did was just demolish my castles and watch the STUFF decay while fighting the urge to go get packies and pick as much up as I could :)

Dizzy

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
See that's thing, I really am organized.

I have separate chests for Christmas gifts, organized by year, and engraved on the outside. Several chests for anniversary gifts, organized by year. I have separate chests for BOD organization, organized by type and material. Separate chests for resources, separate chests for quest items, senate chests for looted armor, organized by mage/warrior/LRC/SSI, etc.

But I'm still running out of space. :)

BrianFreud

Lore Keeper, Wiki Maker, & Doer of Crazy Things
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
More and more I have to force myself out of the packrat mindset. I found something like a hundred ethys, just cleaning a few houses. I wish they'd make a lot of the old gift-type stuff craftable; if I need another SOT book, let me just make a new one, rather than worry about storing a pile of empty ones just for that time I or a friend need one.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

I have separate chests for Christmas gifts, organized by year, and engraved on the outside. Several chests for anniversary gifts, organized by year. I have separate chests for BOD organization, organized by type and material. Separate chests for resources, separate chests for quest items, senate chests for looted armor, organized by mage/warrior/LRC/SSI, etc.

I think you just need to let go of all those gifts lol. Take the chests and toss them in a trash can without even evaluating. You won't even know theyre gone besides the bare spot on the floor and the increased storage space.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I would like to be organized but love the quest of finding that one item somewhere in one of 20 houses in one of hundreds of chest.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I just toss a lot of stuff for cleaning points. If it is deco, it goes right to the trash. Otherwise I evaluate if it will be worth keeping till someone needs it.
I have been holding for recent gifts till they became worth turn in points, but just gave up and trashed most of them.

Dizzy

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
ok, ok already. I have 40 wands of identification, I suppose I can start with those. :p

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I... Have 13 houses...

I keep a Castle where I keep vast amounts of Anniversary Gifts and Christmas gifts... Another house that holds only Valentines gifts, another that keeps Plants and containers, another with crafting things and all items deeded... another for trinkets those items you get from doing quests, spawns, peerless etc that are just deco items... another where I keep mostly weapons and fishing stuff... another where I keep armor, jewelry, talismans and clothes... I think you get the idea....

And yes I organize them by year... in chests...

SugarMMM

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Hi I'm Sugarmmm and I have too much stuff!

Now that I have that out of the way I have to admit something I did because I have a problem with stuff. Hehe.

My many houses, characters inventory and bank boxes were filling up so I moved all of that holiday stuff over to servers I don't really play on. It's like getting all the unused stuff out of your house and stuffing it into a storage unit!

The next thing I need to do to free up a ton more room is to put the BOD books on vendors. I have a BOD obsession that is out of control!

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just toss a lot of stuff for cleaning points. If it is deco, it goes right to the trash. Otherwise I evaluate if it will be worth keeping till someone needs it.
I have been holding for recent gifts till they became worth turn in points, but just gave up and trashed most of them.
Was pleased to see most of my old castle spots that I dropped in the great cleansing replaced by others on Legends after I did my great purging of STUFF :) The one on that point in the trinsic swamp was a great location only castle spot I like better was the compassion desert one but I gave it away a long time ago, replaced it and then lol gave it away again. Hope whomever placed the swamp one appreciated the couple barrels I left there to mark where the west side of the inner steps needed to be exactly :)

LOL if I had just started trashing stuff I would have found all kinds of reason not to trash the stuff. Funny in game I am a epic hoarder IRL if I have not found a use for something in 3-6 months off to the scrap yard or burn pile it goes.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Every year or so I'll pay someone a couple million to "cleanse" my place. Anything listed as crap I stick in an 18×18 I have... course that ones getting full now...

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I know, I should just trash most of the stuff, I had not used for years but it is very hard for me to let it go.
I'm in the process of moving from my second castle to a keep and I believe I still have at least 500 items, I need to let go.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I can't do it... I've tried... I go through about 4 or 5 chests and then I can't do it anymore... I keep thinking OMG what if someone needs one of these?!?! What if I am decoing somewhere and I need this?!?! What if "xyz" person came back!?!? They might want one of these! ..... Or omg so-and-so gave me that! I can't get rid of THAT!... They are gone now!...

Mostly I keep a bunch of crap in case I come across a new player who might need stuff... I can grab things really quick... set up a house in no time... etc... and then there is the collections... massive collection of 100% Weapons, my little boot fetish..., bells, boxes, snowmen, candles, reindeer, sleighs, plants, and more...

I don't even want to think about how many billion gold worth of items I've given away, everything from LRC suits to fully designed and deco'd homes and countless heritage tokens (and I still have over 200)... I couldn't even hazard a guess how many PS I've given out... and such. But I'm always hording that sort of thing just in case someone needs it... I figure if it gets them to play and start enjoying the game then it's worth it.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
I go through this all the time lol. When you really think about it there's probably a ton of stuff you'll never use. Vendors are nice to get rid of stuff also, might as well turn a coin. It may be super cool but if you know your never going to use it or display it... vendor it up. I just cleaned up my armor and weapons and freed up like 3 full chests. Some of it was decent stuff but I knew I'd never use it. One thing I did was to make a museum with one on my accounts where I can display stuff I really like and have that additional storage too. My main account tends to just store stuff I need and use.

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I did the same thing in UO that I've been doing in my RL house. If I don't wear it, use it, or need it, it's ultimately recycled.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was sorting some old gifts - valentine boxes from 2004, green and red stockings, red velvet boxes, anniversary gifts.

I've essentially run out of room to put stuff. Some of it can be turned in for points, I'm sure. I'm thinking I keep one of each (except for maybe the 6th anniversary bells, I think those are great).

I don't know how to display them, though, since they're all in separate bags.

What do you do with your stuff? Turn it in for points?
Get a gift box, lock it down, and fill it with one (or how ever many) of the bags. Whatever is left, I would ask around for collectors, and if you can't find any toss for points.

Haidon

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran

Would you mind coming over to my house and organizing the place just a little bit? OMG! I so wish I had things as organized as you do.

I'm running out of space also. Eventually I pick a chest. open it and look through. I usually throw out only a small amount of "stuff" each time I do, but every little bit I toss, means that much more new "stuff" I can hoard. I feel your pain.

Dizzy

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Well I also have a few staging areas which helps with the organization.

After treasure hunting, I have boxes I just dump stuff for later. My imbuer comes along on another day, sorts through the loot, keeps 1 or 2 pieces if I'm lucky, unravels the rest. Some items go to another staging box for points, but I use the same character each time for points, so that box is right next to a trash can.

I have chests for mage armor with 6 boxes inside, all engraved. The boxes are for head, arms, gorgets, etc. I limit myself to 20 items each chest because that brings me up to 125 items including boxes (pretty close, anyway). If I get a 21st piece, it's either unraveled or moved to my vendor staging chest. That's where I put things that'll go on the vendor. I have similar chests for mage armor, a box just for swords weapons (with 4 boxes inside for 1-handed, 1-handed slayers, 2-handed, and 2-handed slayers), one for fencing, one for mage jewelry, etc. Each are limited to 125 items before they're unraveled or moved to the vendor box.

From the vendor storage box, I load the vendor. When the vendor gets full of stuff that hasn't sold, I reduce all the prices by 30%. If the price falls below 10,000 gold, then I remove it and unravel it or trash it.

I'm having to re-do my gifts boxes; I think I'm going to keep only 1 or 2 items as momentos. Like, last night I kept 2 Christmas 2016 gifts, one with "delivering presents" and one with "delivering coal." The rest are going to the vendor box. I expect the 25k I'm asking won't find many buyers, so in a week or so they'll be dumped for points.

I've discovered that just just the organizing boxes alone take storage space. I just hate throwing things away that might have value for someone eventually.