• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Tailoring] "too few Exceptional" Tailor BOD issue - MYSTERY SOLVED (read inside)

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Also, over the years, long lost posts from the uo.com boards and the previous stratics boards from Hanse and others tended to infer that cloth BODs were meant to be the equivalent of Weapon BODs for smith, and the regular leather was the equivalent of Iron Armor BODs. This seems to be roughly mirrored in the rates we see for those BODs, just sorting by type.

And, Wilki, while we're on the subject, where DO the footwear fall on the decision tree? Leather side, or cloth side?

W

Wilki

Ok, I wanted to make sure what I was about to contradict :)

Here is a summary of how a specific BOD is chosen, for a GM or above tailor.

1. Choose the quantity needed (10, 15, 20) randomly

2. 33% chance to be exceptional

3. 92% chance to be small, 8% chance to be large

4. Randomly choose from among all available types. Should be 55 types for smalls, 14 for larges. Notice there is no distinction made between cloth or leather at this point other than how many are in the list of each.

5. If the type from step 3 is leather, then it has a 70% chance to be colored leather.

6. If if is colored leather, the chance for each color is:
60% spined
30% horned
10% barbed

That's the order in which each attribute of the BOD is chosen, so you can derive the percentage to get any one specific BOD from there.

I don't know why the exceptional bonus differs compared to what was stated years ago, but it's been the same since as far back as early 2004. If I had to guess, I'd say that it was originally intended it to be that, but it was changed based on testing or feedback at the time.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Thanks for the info, Wilki....

It helps a lot.

Now, about the changes to the reward system... Any ETA on release of the numbers behind the changes (through an update to the EA Knowledge Base or otherwise), as was mentioned in the Hall of Commons?

And, Is Draconi ever gonna get that RNG essay online?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Oh, and is it actually 33.0% exceptional, or 1/3? I know that the smelt return for Blacksmiths is 0.66 (as opposed to 2/3 of 1%) times Mining skill, rounded down.

the fraction of a percent makes a lot of difference (in the mining example, it means the +1 mining gloves fall 0.1 skill short at GM + Gloves, from getting the optimum recycling/smelting percentage, requiring the use of +3 or +5 gloves).

Is it obvious yet I was a math/CSC Teaching major in college?

N

Natalie Black

I get way more than 8% Large LBODS in Blacksmithy. Tailoring I have almost nothing but small bods, not even close to 8%.

W

Wilki

I've been very focused on UOSA, so I unfortunately I really can't answer the question about rewards.

As for the exceptional chance, it is 1 out of 3. I suppose we could use an infinite series to represent it... :)

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
My calculations, which stopped at 2900 BODs, actually had me almost 9% on Tailor larges, but most were cloth.

On smith BODs, it came out almost dead on 8% after 2500 BODs.

I'm tweaking my spreadsheet with these numbers, and they are coming out close, but not as close as the smith BODs did.

The Smith BODs, after 2500, came out within 0.2% on every number (except that the promised 60/40 Ex/normal split for GM+ was still 50/50)

With a 15% larger sample, and theoretically less than 50% of the finite BOD types possible, the Tailor numbers should be more closely approaching the stated numbers, but are in fact still showing variations over 4 times wider that of the smith sampling (though it turns out that my number of barbed BODs ended up EXACTLY 10% of my colored leather BODs)