• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

To KR or not to KR

G

I probably missed all the discussions on this when it was released, but I'm interested to know how people feel about it now that its had some time to settle in.

Discuss

Drake

G

It's getting there, but I wouldn't make the switch full time yet.

G

I'd say definitely not, it's horrible. They have made so many unnecessary changes and it's slow and cumbersome. I've now ditched it and gone back to dear old 2D.

I

imported_Wishbone

Being my normal blunt self I would say it's a heap of crepe.

G

Though I'd usually provide a counterpoint to the "KR's crap" comments, it's generally not worth the effort, because:
1.) People who hate KR aren't going to change their minds. I don't like sweet and sour food. I think it's horrible, and no amount of reasons why I should like it is going to get me munching on the disgusting stuff.
2.) KR does have problems. Perhaps "crap" is a little unobjective, as far as analysis goes, but it is pretty succinct.

The KR client is not perfect.
The 2D client is not perfect.
We, as players, are more used to the 2D client.
As far as how we play the game goes, why fix what isn't broken?
If you've got the bandwidth, patience and motivation to burn (downloading, installing and getting used to), give KR a try. You might like it.
Otherwise, use the 2D client.

G

Well, I decided after little deliberation that since you can install the 2 alongside each other, I`d give it a try. After 10 mins I've established the following...

1) I have to run 800x600 with all detail turned down despite having a pretty decent computer.
2) One of my secure chests in my log cabin simply disappears in the KR client.
3) Moving around on a giant beetle is terrible (running sideways and cant really tell which way you`re pointing)
4) They`ve changed the movement system so if you aim yourself into a wall (like the bank) it tries to run around it regardless of what way the cursor points.
5) They should have just used UOAM as a template for a map system thats actually useful.

And the good bits...

1) Ooh its all pretty looking!
2) The macro system looks like it could be quite good
3) I love the drag n drop additions and the new backpack (but then, I do play WoW too so I'm used to that)
4) Hotbars!

All in all, I'll probably tinker about with it to see if I can make it into something that I can use, but otherwise...its 2D for me.

Thanks for the input guys n gals

Drake

G

If they had implemented the hotbars, customisable gumps and multi-toned plants into 2D then there really would be no need for KR, as IMHO these are its best features. The graphics are still a little cumbersome and ugly for my liking.

I'm sticking with 2D. But as with all things, it's personal taste. Give it a go for a week - if you get tired of lagging, trying to work out what the hell some of the items are, and accidentally flamestriking yourself with the new targetting system, then head back to 2D