• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Tip for Doom Archers - Little Known Fact - Add to FAQ?

• Thread starter Connor_Graham
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
C

Connor_Graham

Having spent quite a bit of time in Doom lately, one thing thing that I've noticed is that my bows run out of durability well before my armor does, and that's even with using Heavy Crossbows exclusively, which go through durability much slower than any other bow. It's quite common, in fact, for my armor to still be in the 200's when I'm at the point that I have to leave because my bows are too low and need repairs badly.

I ran across a little piece of information while working on the update on the Archery pages on the main UO Stratics site, tested it out, and found that it's still part of the coding in the game, and that it does indeed work.

Any character can use a Fletching tool to repair a bow with 0 skill as long as the weapon has not lost more than 20% of it's durability. As I said, this has been tested and does indeed still work. The only downside to this is that if you fail to repair, which you can since you have 0 skill (although a human would have a better chance with the 20 Bowyer/Fletcher from JOAT) you will lose a durability point, and you must carry a Fletching tool with you when you go down to Doom.

There ya go. Have fun getting more bang for your golden skull buck.

aarons6

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
so when you repair with fletchers tool kit you still lose 1 max durability?
is there a chance to break it?

also what do you do about bolts?

in doom my bolts ran out way before my durability did and my beetle got killed in the vendor room somehow.

C

Connor_Graham

Unless you run your bow down to 0, it's not going to break. From the few tests that I did, it repaired each bow, but did lose one durability point each time it was repaired.

For bolts, loot each boss as you go from your loot pack, when you get full, buy up bolts from Nix with the gold you have. When you start getting real low, skip a round and follow behind everyone. When each room's bosses loot packs go public, you should be able to pick up anywhere from 1-3k per boss. Take that and again go to Nix and buy up what bolts you need. Loot all of the mummy's that the DF spawns for bandages, or you can simply buy them from Nix too if you don't get too many of those. Also, when the DF's loot pack, or any boss's loot pack goes public, there's usually a small stack of bolts on the corpse.

"my beetle got killed in the vendor room somehow"

This happens when people run into the hidden hallway to get away from the DF. If the DF is being fought close to that spot, he can toss bones into that hallway, which will still spawn the undead there. They go into Nix's room and kill anything that's there.

G

Don't feel bad about losing that point. I lose it at 128 fletching skill too.

I also lose it at 149 tailoring, and 209 blacksmithing. A lot of things about this game suck. I don't have a clue how a person with 209 blacksmithing could possibly fail a repair that's not more than 20-30 points.

C

Connor_Graham

128 Fletching?
149 Tailoring?
209 Smithing??????????????

Max in Tailor is 120, 180 for Smith with a +60 ASH and 100 for Bowcraft/Fletching?

Are you perhaps talking about WoW?

I

imported_Jimmy Pop

Talisman... Talismen? Talismans. Yeah I think it's Talismans.

Smithing 120 + 60 ASH = 180 + 29 Talisman = 209

C

Connor_Graham

A talisman is not a skill boost, it's an increase to the % chance to make an item or to make an exceptional item.

C

Connor_Graham

No, you have to be in a Bowyer/Fletcher's shop for a repair deed to work. I just brought one of my tools along with me and leave it on my beetle. I've repaired my bows several times now with only a couple of failures. I've been working powder Bods over the past few days so I can powder the bows back up. The ingots to work the Bods, or even just buying the powder outright is a heck of a lot cheaper than buying a single gold skull.

C

Connor_Graham

Is there any chance of getting this information added to the FAQ? This is an important piece of information to know, and after speaking with more than a few other Archers in Doom, it's not something that most players know about.