• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Throwing] Thrower Gear

toeleo

Visitor
Hello all!

I am in the process of making a thrower skills are:

120 Throwing
120 Anatomy
120 Tactics
100 Chiv
100 Bushido
100 SS
60 Necro

I am looking into crafting a suit for him and am trying to figure out the best route to go. I know I need a bunch of stamina (210) with a lot of SSI to swing as fast as possible, but how do you actually reach 210 stamina?

Also I have been toying with the idea of refining for increased resist cap as my thought process was as a ranged character I shouldn't be getting hit too often and thought the damage reduction with increased caps would help with spells and the off chance that I take damage from a weapon be it melee or range.

What do you all think?

Spiffdaddy

Visitor
Would allso like to know same but i have weaving instead Bushido.. "in groups keeps me from getting some one has allready honored this boss" and well word of death is a close alt... and im really sad i cant find a good robe as a garg Hawkwind's Robe be dearly missed

Innoxicated

Journeyman
I know this thread has been up here for a few days without much attention, so I might as well give my insights. And if I clearly miss something hopefully others will chime in, or I'll think of something and come back with an edit.

Garg suit is obv a little different to build, as you only have chest, legs, arms, and kilt to reforge for 10 stam. If you imbue necklace and earrings, obv you'll have to settle for 8. 150 stam from dex, +40 from leather, +16 from ears/neck puts you at 206, or 198 if you settle for +8 stam on the leather pieces.

You can get a little more stam from looted jewels, but it will be a tight fit considering the weight of the 10 stam and the necessary imbued resists.

Certainly doable, but I would strongly consider dropping stam down to 180 even if that means you'll need more ssi on the glaives. You'll still be able to leech plenty back with the minimum necessary swing speed on your weapons, even if it's not max.

You also could reforge your glaives for overcap HML, with high enough weight you can get your ssi on there without impeding your leeches.

Post up if you have had any luck figuring it out so far, I'll try and get on when I can and dig around to see what I've came up with on my last thrower. And good luck!

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I run the following for my wraith thrower:

120 Throwing
120 Anatomy
120 Healing
100 Tactics
95 Chivalry
80 Bushido
60 Spirit Speak
40 Necro

I really like healing which is why this is effective for me. This is a 735 skill point build so I tack +15 into the suit. You can either use the +15 mana from a primer 3 in chivalry or the benefits of a primer 3 in throwing. You can use an Unforgiven Veil, but I usually run with a Conjurer's Trinket (or a Enchantress Cameo if you have one). For city bonus, I use one with the Assassin's Guild for the +5 SSI.

As for gear, I run with 45 SSI total and 180 Stamina. I throw at 1.5s rate with this setup. I have never found the right gargish gear to get to 210 stamina and 55 SSI total needed to get to 1.25s swing rate. I would have to make far too many compromises to the suit and I've never felt that it was worth it. My suit uses the following artifacts (with key mods in parenthesis):

- Solider's Medal Talisman (+10 Tactics)
- Unforgiven Veil (+5 Throwing)
- Mace and Shield Glasses (30 HLD)
- Breastplate of the Berserker (+10 SSI)
- Crimson Cincture
- Unicorn Mane Woven Talons (NS)
- Conjurer's Garb
- Corgul Sash

All of my Soul Glavies have 30 SSI, Super Slayer, Max HSL, Max HML, 25 DI and all are 100% of the appropriate elemental damage. I have one for each slayer type including Fey.

I love this character. I could probably make him better with some Roof artifacts, but haven't rebuilt him since those came out.

-OBSIDIAN-

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I was wondering if anyone has built a thrower in the past 1.5 years and found their build to be more effective than the few that were mentioned here. (whether it be from skill combo or suit build)

I plan on going the wraith thrower route something along the lines of the following (as a base):

120 Throwing
120 Anatomy
120 Tactics
100 Healing
80 Chivalry
80 Bushido
80 Spirit Speak
20 Necro

I think I will aim for 180 stam and 45 SSI for the 1.5 swing speed so that hopefully I can max out strength (and thus my range). Based on that I think I will need to base my suit around a cameo/beserker chest/cloak of aug or SSI eps but open to suggestions (ie should I go with M&S glasses over a legendary piece if I can find it?).

Thanks!

chester rockwell

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I went with a macks damage thrower. basically just solo'd ecksodus a bunch. 120 chiv and 120 bush. Ran a 4by bard for provo buffs.

The two buttons to the left of c dont work all the time on my ****ty laptop.

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Just wanted to give this another bump. There really doesn't seem to be a whole lot of info about a garg thrower build for suit making.

Can anyone confirm by skills look good (any reason not to go 120 Bush and maybe do 100 anatomy / 70 chiv / 70 SS?) and give me an idea of what pieces I should be looking to build around? Wondering if Berserker Chest is something to build into the suit given the price tag.

Thanks!

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I have two Thrower builds:

ABC Thrower:
120 Throwing
120 Tactics
105 Anatomy
100 Chivalry
115 Resist Spells
090 Bushido
070 Healing

This build uses all stone suit. Most pieces are high end legendaries. Earrings and necklace are crafted to hit certain stats and LMC requirement for 55 overcap. I have bracelet that gets me to 120 Anat and 85 Healing. This build uses potions to reach 212 Stam and 150 Strength/Hit Points. I use this for spawning and general PVM content. It's decent at defending in PVP in the event it's necessary.

Mystic Thrower:
120 Throwing
120 Tactics
120 Mysticism
120 Focus
120 Anatomy
090 Chivalry
030 Healing

Build gets to 211 Stam without pots, but needs pots to hit 150 Strength. Suit is all stone, use of Mophius Epaulettes and Ozy Obi to get stam and enough SSI for max swing speed. This is a fairly new build for me. I have 30 points sitting in healing which aren't particularly being used,. I probably don't need max Tactics/Anat in addition to Chiv, but for right now thats what I am working with. Generally use an RC, Enchant Weapon and Sleep quite a bit. All weapons have spell channeling.
If you're on ATL, I would be happy to show you my suits in person if it would be helpful.

Good luck!

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Merlin, why not dump that 30 of heal into chiv for 120?
At this point, that seems like the only logical remaining choice. I will probably end up doing what you suggested, as healing with only 30 points doesn't do much for you and because I'm wearing non-meddable armor, throwing it into Meditation for a small mana regen boost would be negligible.

My original thought is that with Damage Increase 100, Max Strength, 120 Tactics, 120 Anatomy - do I really need 120 Chivalry? Am I going to be getting any real damage boost? I should be at the damage cap easily, especially with Cameo set to boot. Also - it will be slightly odd for me to only do six skills without any gear/items that are also giving a boost. On my other 18 completed characters, they all have 7 skills (one or two have 8).

chester rockwell

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
For stuff that doesn't have a slayer, it should help. I really only do exodus on my thrower. Farm gear.

Cork

Sage
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I have two Thrower builds:

ABC Thrower:
120 Throwing
120 Tactics
105 Anatomy
100 Chivalry
115 Resist Spells
090 Bushido
070 Healing
What is the point of going anything higher than 80 Bushido in a thrower build?

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
What is the point of going anything higher than 80 Bushido in a thrower build?
I like having an effective Confidence heal and the option of being able to go to the Bushido mastery.

Also, I used a Mystic token for this build and being Bushido is such a pain in the butt to raise at higher levels, I didnt think it was worth it to re-route the points elsewhere. The build has a ring with +15 Anat to get me to 120 Anat. So between Leg tactics and anat, GM chiv and using Cameos, I'm generally at max damage. I suppose I could have put a few more points in healing, but the gains are nominal at that point.

What would you suggest I do differently?

Cork

Sage
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I like having an effective Confidence heal and the option of being able to go to the Bushido mastery.

Also, I used a Mystic token for this build and being Bushido is such a pain in the butt to raise at higher levels, I didnt think it was worth it to re-route the points elsewhere. The build has a ring with +15 Anat to get me to 120 Anat. So between Leg tactics and anat, GM chiv and using Cameos, I'm generally at max damage. I suppose I could have put a few more points in healing, but the gains are nominal at that point.
I'm new to Thrower/Archer builds. I'm just asking because I thought Confidence procs on a successful parry. If you don't have parrying then I assumed it wouldn't do anything for you. From what I understood, having 80 Bushido allows you to get enough skill points for the 5 mana cost reduction for special moves and that's it.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
VS DEX - 5 STAM - 10 Stam Regen - 4 You would be surprised what you find. You can do the same with INT / MANA for a scribe suit Jewels are 10 - 5 I am doing one with STR / HP right now

Cork

Sage
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I still think it's a waste to go over 80 bushido. I haven't seen any responses here that would make me think otherwise.

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I'm still in the process of building my skills now that I pretty much have my suit complete but would like to know if the extra 40 in Bush is needed. Between those points and maybe finding some jewels with 20-35 skill I might be able to fit healing into my wraith/throwing template.

My thoughts are:
120 Throwing
120 Tactics
105 Anatomy (+15 brace brings this to 120)
120 Chivalry
100 Spirit Speak
060 Bushido (+20 ring brings this to 80)
075 Healing
020 Necro

Depending on which would be more effective possibly swap the 120 skill from Chiv to SS? Also not sure if I should use healing skill at 75 or put those points into resist instead since I can also use curse weapon as a healing source. This would all depend on if Bushido needs to be above 80 for much added benefit though because if I need to use those 40 points in Bushido there is no real point to have 35pts hanging around in any skills.

**I looked up Bushido perfection and nothing was said about higher skill giving less hits to perfect so aside from the mana save from the total combat points, I'm not sure if it really does much else? For confidence, it will net an extra 14hp max healing (if not interupted) from 80 vs 120 skill.

Last edited:

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
You can heal with Spirit Speak and Close Wounds from Chivalry. If you're throwing, you will have a free hand to drink pots. For cure, you can use Cleanse by Fire from Chivalry or drink cure pot. You can also set up atleast one of your glaives to have Life Leach on it for an extra boost. Given these options, I personally think it's overkill at that point to have 75 points worth of healing.

For mana leach from wraith form, at 100 Spirit Speak you get 20%, at 120 you get 24%.

For the mana cost reduction for special moves, I thought you needed real skill to benefit from this - although I'm not 100% positive on that.

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Good point with the healing overkill. Perhaps I'll go resist instead to offset debuffs a little bit.

Good call on the mana reduction piece. Anyone every figure out if you need real skill for the 300 cap or can it be hit by jewels? I tried to search for it and couldn't find anything conclusive... actually ended up going down a few other rabbit holes in the process lol.

Maybe @PlayerSkillFTW would know about the 300 points and if it needs to be real skill (seems pretty good with most builds).

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Good point with the healing overkill. Perhaps I'll go resist instead to offset debuffs a little bit.

Good call on the mana reduction piece. Anyone every figure out if you need real skill for the 300 cap or can it be hit by jewels? I tried to search for it and couldn't find anything conclusive... actually ended up going down a few other rabbit holes in the process lol.

Maybe @PlayerSkillFTW would know about the 300 points and if it needs to be real skill (seems pretty good with most builds).
For the Special Move Discount, the 300.0 Points do NOT have to be Real Skill. Modified skill from gear counts towards it.
Just to confirm this, i copied my Dexxer to TC, and tested it. With Real 120 Swords+GM Bush+GM Parry, his Double Strike costs 20 Mana with 0 LMC. With Real 120 Swords+80 Bush+80 Parry, his Double Strike costs 25 Mana. With 120 Swords+80 Bush (GM with Jewelry)+80 Parry (GM with Jewelry), his Double Strike costs 20 Mana.

Last edited:

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Thanks @PlayerSkillFTW !

If that's the case, I'm wondering if I take Bushido even lower and dump the points into another skill? Again from what I can tell the only thing higher Bushido will do for me in this template is maximum confidence heals (which if I have curse weapon /close wounds + heal pots) so if I have 120 Throwing + 120 Anatomy (with bracelet) I'm at 240 which means I only need 60 Bushido (which would be 40 real + 20 on ring) to reach the 300 points for the discount. I could then put that extra 20 skill into SS for max duration curse weap OR put another 20 into Resist to bring me close to GM.

120 Throwing
120 Tactics
120 Chivalry
120 Spirit Speak
040 Bushido (+20 ring brings this to 60)
075 Resist
020 Necro

OR

120 Throwing
120 Tactics
120 Chivalry
100 Spirit Speak
040 Bushido (+20 ring brings this to 60)
095 Resist
020 Necro

Thoughts anyone?

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Thanks @PlayerSkillFTW !

If that's the case, I'm wondering if I take Bushido even lower and dump the points into another skill? Again from what I can tell the only thing higher Bushido will do for me in this template is maximum confidence heals (which if I have curse weapon /close wounds + heal pots) so if I have 120 Throwing + 120 Anatomy (with bracelet) I'm at 240 which means I only need 60 Bushido (which would be 40 real + 20 on ring) to reach the 300 points for the discount. I could then put that extra 20 skill into SS for max duration curse weap OR put another 20 into Resist to bring me close to GM.
According to UO Guide here: Special Moves - UOGuide, the Ultima Online Encyclopedia , Anatomy is not listed as one of the skills that contribute toward the Special Move Cost reduction bonus.

Deschet

Journeyman
@Merlin beat me to it.

The Mana Cost of each special move can be reduced if the warrior’s skills are high enough. Add up the skill points for Swords, Mace Fighting, Fencing, Archery, Parrying, Lumberjacking, Stealth, Poisoning, Bushido and Ninjitsu. If the total lies between 200 and 299, subtract 5 from the Mana Cost. If the total is 300 or more, subtract 10 from the Mana Cost.

So with 120 Throwing and 60 Bushido, you have 180 skill points toward the reduction.

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Ahh thank you both! I couldn't find that list of skills (thought anatomy was on there). It looks like I need to be at 80 Bushido then to get the 5 mana discount so I will go with my original idea. Thanks for helping me talk through it.

120 Throwing
120 Tactics
120 Chivalry
100 Spirit Speak
075 Resist
020 Necro

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Maybe drop resist to 0, anat to 115......get 10 in mana reduction?
Where would I put the extra points? If I'm at 120 throwing and 120 bushido that's 240 which puts me 60 short of the 10 mana reduction. I'd need to put 60 skill in some useless skill (for my template) like ninja/secondary weapon skill/etc.

Open to suggestions though.

Xare

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Can you parry with a throwing weapon? Might make it useful occasionally.

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Yes I believe so but that would make this build very similar to my sampire build which I'm not looking to do; my plan is to stay my distance and only use the thrower on single targets (which is why I was thinking resist for casting mobs).

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Where would I put the extra points? If I'm at 120 throwing and 120 bushido that's 240 which puts me 60 short of the 10 mana reduction. I'd need to put 60 skill in some useless skill (for my template) like ninja/secondary weapon skill/etc.

How is your mana overall? Do you really need the full 300, or are you doing okay with 200 and the 5 reduction? If you get enough MR on your suit, you should be okay.

Xare

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Yes I believe so but that would make this build very similar to my sampire build which I'm not looking to do; my plan is to stay my distance and only use the thrower on single targets (which is why I was thinking resist for casting mobs).
Just saying it would be a semi useful on some small occasion when you're not paying attention and a mob gets close. But I agree with Merlin, if you're mana is fine, I wouldn't bother putting it into the extra mana reduction and instead put it something useful.

chester rockwell

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Man, you will rail out exodus. I wouldn't even worry about it.

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
How is your mana overall? Do you really need the full 300, or are you doing okay with 200 and the 5 reduction? If you get enough MR on your suit, you should be okay.
Mana is at 95 and I'm able to spam AI quite a bit with just the 5 reduction. I put the extra points in resist just to help negate some debuffs.

Final build is below and overall pretty happy it. I'm going to try to take this guy to a few EM events to see how things shake out.

120 Throwing
120 Tactics
120 Chivalry
100 Spirit Speak
075 Resist
020 Necro

Mordha

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Hi guys
I'm wondering what's the take on having the DI on the suit. I'm putting a suit together and I think I can get 100 DI on the suit, but it also begs questions. 1) Is it worth it? (like it is for a sampire/melee fighter). And 2) What would be mods worth considering for the soul glaives, in place of DI? (hit area, HLL, something else?)
I'm still going to need SSI on the soul glaive, but I think I can maybe hit 30 SSI on the suit too. I really wish the garg only epaulettes weren't 1p on auction safes, or I'd find 40 SSI possible on suit.

chester rockwell

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If you can get di on your suit, it's almost always better to do that and leave a free mod on the wpn.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
You're very likely going to need SSI on the glaive in order to reach 55 SSI and throw at max speed. There aren't enough SSI gargoyle items to wear on your suit to avoid that - although I'd be curious to know if you found a way to make it work.

In terms of what mod to replace on your Glaive - you should have glaives with all different mods. Maybe a few with Hit Area for certain mobs and spawning, maybe one with all 3 Stat leaches, maybe another with HLA, HLD, Velocity, or a Hit Spell. Maybe others with specific slayers. The one mod I have on every weapon is Hit Mana Leach, but all my others are a mix of various mods dependent on the situation.

Cork

Sage
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
You're very likely going to need SSI on the glaive in order to reach 55 SSI and throw at max speed. There aren't enough SSI gargoyle items to wear on your suit to avoid that - although I'd be curious to know if you found a way to make it work.

In terms of what mod to replace on your Glaive - you should have glaives with all different mods. Maybe a few with Hit Area for certain mobs and spawning, maybe one with all 3 Stat leaches, maybe another with HLA, HLD, Velocity, or a Hit Spell. Maybe others with specific slayers. The one mod I have on every weapon is Hit Mana Leach, but all my others are a mix of various mods dependent on the situation.
Do you know how much SSI people normally run on their gear? I have 50 ssi right now without weapon or buffs. I was thinking of dropping my chest piece which would leave me at 40 ssi.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
How in the world do you do exodus with a thrower? I am getting merked as soon as he hits me
If I recall correctly, he was playing with a group that would use the "Exodus trick" to get him stuck in the pit below before fighting him. That's only way to really fight him on a ranged character that is stationary due to wraith form (or some other reason).

Nero

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
You can also reach 1.25 secs with the soul glaive if you cast devine fury every 20ish seconds. You need 40 SSI on the suit and 19k karma and 120 chiv for +15 SSI from devine fury. Depending on the situation, I am either using glaive of the infinite swarm (which got SSI) or a soul glaive with devine fury to reach max speed. As others said, you actually do not need 1.25 secs in many situations. If you are moving around, 1.5 secs is good enough imo, as you stop throwing when you move.