• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

This Server

F

Fluffhead32

Hey all, I stopped playing in 2000 and am considering playing again. From what I understand the game is completely different...Did I see that people melee drakes and dragons now? wtf? and Liches and Liche Lords are actually hard?

Anyone to my real question. Do any of the player run establishments on Napa Valley I used to know exist anymore? City of Mith? University of Virtue? Cathedral of Fire?
how is the population on this server?

Also am i actually going to be able to play this game on a laptop? I am running a Macbook with a windows emulator thing (wine). Am I gonna waste me time trying to run UO? I am in the market for a new comp in the enxt few months...Laptop. Any suggestions of one that would be good for UO that is within a reasonable pricerange?

G

Did I see that people melee drakes and dragons now?
Yes, you did.

Liches and Liche Lords are actually hard?
*Yes and no, depends on your items now.

Anyone to my real question. Do any of the player run establishments on Napa Valley I used to know exist anymore? City of Mith? University of Virtue? Cathedral of Fire?
*Mith - 100% positive it's gone as are it's original founders.
*UoV - Gone afaik.
*CoF - Also gone afaik

how is the population on this server?
*Dwindling.

As for the laptop Q's I don't know.

G

Lap top Question
Doable easily. Son plays this on his Dell dual core (lower end dual too by todays standards Inspiron 6400) with only 1meg of ram on Vista. (On Xp it's a lot better tho, less memory usage from Xp vs Vista. Vista's a memory hog imo) just use a usb mouse & you're good to go

Ran him about $1000 approx a yr ago or so.

G

Hi vet! Hope you decide to come back and join the few of us left.

Any modern computer will run UO2D at maximum performance. The Dell Vostro at $399 will be fine.

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=04&kc=6W300&l=en&oc=bqcwi1s&s=bsd

You can double the ram for only $25. I suggest buying whenever they are running a free shipping deal.

Another recommendation is wait until the day after thanksgiving or the following Monday, there are always great deals on laptops then. Usually Acer has something nice for super cheap (like $300) at the big box stores (best buy, frys, circuit city or even newegg, etc.)

The only reason to pay more is if you don't format and install a slimed down XP or you want to use the computer for some other bleeding edge game at high settings (like doom 3 or duke nukem forever). So basically just to support the latest MS bloat. Also, as you know, computer companies install many applications that run all the time that you don't need or will probably never use. These suck your power. Another reason to format.

Good luck!

F

Fluffhead32

Ok so just a few more questions for you all. I am running a MacBook that is about 1.5 years old. I am thinking of just getting one of those windows emulators and running UO through that. Will that work? How will I know if my graphics card is good enough? It says "BlahBlahBlah and better". How do i know whats better?

Also the 14 day trial of UO...Is that the full software? So can I download that, make a pay account and not have to buy any software?

I may be able to get my old account back...I have a char w/ 100 dex 100 str 25 int (this was awsome in the old days) He was 100 Parry, heal, anat, swords, tactics, archery. and My main was 100 mage, swords, tactics, 80 med, 60hide 90 resist and so on...Is it even worth the time to try and get my old chars back? or am I better of starting from scratch... Also whats the likely hood I will find someone to help me adjust to all the crazy new [censored]. We didnt have "professions" or any of that [censored], and only had half the skills. Any suggestions would be great.

G

You're old characters would work, might need a little template tweaking. It's definately nice starting with gm'ed skills over 2 at 50, even if you plan to only keep 2 or 3 of the skills. With the warrior you'll want to drop one of the weapon skills, and maybe shuffle things around to allow for chivalry and bushido. Dunno about the mage, there are lots of options there, more than likely you'll want to swap swords for wrestling if you go pure mage, or maybe inscription. Of course your template will also need to reflect where you want to play, in the pvm only trammel side, or pvp/pvm fellucca side. For help I'd reccomend(sp?) hanging out at the Brit bank, several friendly guilds hang out there that I'm sure would be willing to give you a hand.

Rey~

G

The 14 day trial includes everything up to Samurai Empire, which is the whole world except for Mondain's Legacy content (can buy a code for that later, not really critical).

Download the ML client: http://www.uo.com/uoml/newplayer.shtml

Next, create an EA account THEN a UO account at www.ultima-registration.com

Click "Create Account", following account creation instructions -
when prompted, enter registration code: FREE-UOKR-REG1-14DT

Your old account might have survived the inactive wipe back then because it has developed characters. You could always try plugging in the old user/pass and see if anything comes up.

UO will run on your mac, see this thread: http://boards.stratics.com/php-bin/uo/showflat.php?Number=7554875

G

If you do come back feel free to PM me and I'll help in any way I can.

As for player run places, I have had a rather large vendor shop two gate west of the Brit gate in Fel for 4 plus years. I get a lot of PVP folks stopping by for supplies. Always fun to see people.

Loq

Otis Firefly

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
the places like myth have been long gone, player run towns with bars and so on are rarely heard of except maybe within your own guilds..i do miss the no weapon/magery bar fights.

I

imported_Cysphruo

uo2d is built to run on the worst computers, thats one of the best things about uo. now as far as the new client coming out which has "better graphics" i dont know what to tell you, or when it will even be coming out if it ever comes out.
as far as reactivating the account, it would probably be worth it to try, im sure its still there if you have the account information and starting with atleast a few gold would definatly be worth it to build up your characters.

F

Fluffhead32

my account definatly exists. I got suspended (something I didnt actually do!) and about 1 year later (after all parties on both sides said there was no way I did it, I can explain in detail if someone is interested) Anyway about 1 year later I got an apology from Origin saying that they have relized what happend was a mistake and that I was actually innocent blah blah blah. Anyway so I checked, my account still exists. And they even more recently sent me an email asking me if I would like to reactive my account (There subscriptions much be low). So I am set to come back.
Another note, how much is decent gold nowadays? When i played pretty much no one had a mill. I remember when i first started playing a house cost 14,000 gold....And most people couldnt afford them. Anyway, i beleive i have like 15 sets of GM marked armor and tons of wepions, reagrents and like 80,000coin. Is 80k nothing these days? Btw Thanks for all the info all of you, I'm really pleased by the responses I got so fast and so helpful. Few games have a community like this. hopefully you arent sketched about the suspension thing, if you are I am more then willing to explain the situation.

G

dont really think u need a good graphics card if ur playing 2d...erm...all i have is 512 ram and a cheesy graphics card from walmart and i play fine - u should be ok

G

You are in for a large learning curve, but there are always great people willing to help. 80k gold is nothing and you will need much more. I have some extra 110 powerscrolls you may have and I might have some decent armor you may have as well. The game is item driven now and you will need (maybe just want) to have some of the new items. A good place to start would be Doom on the weekend evenings. If you have enough chars you can dump one of them in Doom and leave him there till his armor durability is gone.

G

I have been touring a few shards lately and always manage to put together a 60s all resists 100% lower reagent cost suit for less than 60k, but for that you have to like shopping! Still, I find that to be the best starting point in today's game. You can do a LOT once you have just that basic suit.

I

imported_IgotWood

i got a bunch of barbed armor from kits i can give ya, as well as powerscrolls...and weapons just pm me or post here

F

Fluffhead32

Wow I appreciate the generosity of you guys. I wont be able to get all my life in order for a few months. Then I can hit UO again. Can I still get a UO crash course from those of you who offered then?

F

five oclock

aye...Im sure we can work something out there

Its no longer the days..wake up..put on armor...go out..die...get rezed...go to bank..get armor...repeat

But still a fun game!

I

imported_IgotWood

you betcha...just PM or post when you get on and i'll get you setup