• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

thinking of coming back

S

shipwrek

Hi all. I left UO about 5 years ago after having a couple of GM toons on both Catskills and SP.

I've been getting the itch and am very interested in the new client.

Is it true that when you reinstate an old account (mine are still there) that your toons and bank box are still intact? I know the houses are long gone but my old characters would be great to have.

I think the age of shadows was the last release I bought.. would I have to spend hundreds of dollars to use current features and visit places everyone is going to?

How is the population on Cats and SP?

Thank you!

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Characters and bank box will definitely still be there.

The new client is less than perfect. Bear that in mind when you try it out, perhaps download both clients, just in case.

You'll need to upgrade to Mondain's Legacy in order to do Samurai Empire and Peerless stuff, which won't cost an arm and a leg, but it will cost.

The populations are dwindling to the point that if you hunt in a lot of used-to-be-crowded places, you'll never see another person on either shard. There are more people now on Cats than SP. But if you get in contact with one of the larger guilds on Cats (not sure about SP), finding people is never a problem, even in the off-hours.

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My characters and bank box contents still were there, even after a 6-year-break. Had I know that I would return to UO one day, I wouldn't have given away all my valuable possessions back then. :)

Currently, Catskills player activity seems to be decreasing. However, I think that all people are waiting for the BIG WAR to start (i.e. for the next patch we all await in 2 weeks).

Gildar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The last character wipe was before AoS, so your characters are still there.

To get access to everything, you need to buy Mondain's Legacy - will cost you $30.

Before you use the new client, be sure to upgrade your DirectX and your Video Card Drivers. If you have an AMD Dual Core processor, get the AMD Dual Core optimizer.
If you don't know how to do that, or don't know how to tell if you have an AMD Dual Core processor, let me know.

After you get KR up and running... if you like the look of the default UI, you'll want to get either the Default_BF or Default_Enhanced skins. Use the Default_BF one if you don't want anything extra; use the Default_Enhanced if you'd like a few more features.
If you don't like the look, then look into the BB_Enhanced or Legacy skins. BB_Enhanced and Default_Enhanced have the same features, but BB_Enhanced has a darker look.
Legacy has many of the same features, and takes a style very similar to the classic 2D interface.

You can find all those skins at the Modders Exchange Packaging section. You can read about the added features in BB_Enhanced here.

Shh!

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The new client is less than perfect. Bear that in mind when you try it out, perhaps download both clients, just in case.
QFT.

Don't get too discouraged when you see the new client. If you hate it (which a LOT of people do) 2D is still there, give it a shot. If you like it, welcome back!

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If there was, they missed my characters. I was out from 2000-2007.