• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Think we need this thread

S

sinalong

Well I do anyway. I have read the pet training guide and loads of other relating posts. I think most tamers now know how to train most of their pets skills apart from the illusive Healing. I have read about using disco and poision etc, but there seems to be no clear answer, mainly about the best way to train (if you have disco). From what I can gather if you have no friends :( and 120 disco your best bet is to set your dog on a rotting corpse and disco said pet. Some clear info on the only pet skill that for me at least is not clear is needed.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just disco'd the pup and cast poison on it for a few minutes before we went out for hunts, got him done in very little time. If you haven't got resist trained, you can get that up at the same time. Only power training I've done on a pet, because I started spasming uncontrollably in RL at the mere thought of more rotting corpses and finished the last few points off with disco/casting :D

Without disco it's rotters, rotters and yet more rotters. If you can get 2 rotters on the pup at a time that helps speed things up, but can be more risky.

Wenchy

S

sinalong

I just disco'd the pup and cast poison on it for a few minutes before we went out for hunts, got him done in very little time. If you haven't got resist trained, you can get that up at the same time. Only power training I've done on a pet, because I started spasming uncontrollably in RL at the mere thought of more rotting corpses and finished the last few points off with disco/casting :D

Without disco it's rotters, rotters and yet more rotters. If you can get 2 rotters on the pup at a time that helps speed things up, but can be more risky.

Wenchy
ok thanks for the reply, but more info needed. So u disco and then poision (non stop?) what is your magery etc and does useing that technique take your pet to gm?

Hinotori

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Using disco on your dog and having it cure poison is the fastest way. This does get repetitive really quick though. I haven't had rotters help any more than just me casting poison on a dog, mainly cause I have to apply bandages sometimes and cure and heal the thing myself.

I get lazy though. Disco on a dog then let it tank a shadow ele. It will get to GM much quicker than rotters (without disco use). It moves pretty good then slows down on the last few full points but still goes ok.

If I'm out killing small stuff for hides, horns, or whatnot, I'll disco the dog as well. Small things like gaman will damage it enough for it to get a few healing gains. This is my favorite method if my dog dies a couple times and needs retrained. I take care of getting something I need and the dog takes care of itself.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
ok thanks for the reply, but more info needed. So u disco and then poision (non stop?) what is your magery etc and does useing that technique take your pet to gm?
I just cast on the pup so it's constantly trying to cure poison, but if you're working resist too, spam it silly :D Magery on that char was GM, and yeah we hit GM. I'm not sure how long it'll take from start to finish, I only did that for the 90-GM bit because it was pretty easy getting that far :)

Wenchy

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
But wouldn't casting Poison Field on the Cu be just as effective, if not more so?

*Shrug*

I know that if you Disco the Cu and do the Shadow Ore Elemental you can get Healing to 100 as well.

Now that is equaly true as far as I am concerned if once the Cu is past 90.0 and you can keep its health between 1% (ack dangerous I use 25%) and 50%. That form of healing seems to be every bit as effective at raising Healing as Deadly Poison.

S

sinalong

But wouldn't casting Poison Field on the Cu be just as effective, if not more so?

*Shrug*

I know that if you Disco the Cu and do the Shadow Ore Elemental you can get Healing to 100 as well.

Now that is equaly true as far as I am concerned if once the Cu is past 90.0 and you can keep its health between 1% (ack dangerous I use 25%) and 50%. That form of healing seems to be every bit as effective at raising Healing as Deadly Poison.
I did not think a pups healing could go past 90 on anything bar cureing poision?.
I take it will only gain on shadows past 90 if u disco it? and as for a mage casting poision dont u need to have the poison skill or something to be able to cast deadly?

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

*Shrug*

I don't think your pets take damage from your own fields, I've never damaged one in Fel, but haven't tried it recently. Individual poison spells are more controllable and can also gain resist which is why I used them.

I don't pet park around shadow eles or anything else so can't say how effective that would be, but I'd think the casting of poison should speed up gains. And shadow eles don't have a magical attack, so you don't get resist off them.

The other problem if you park pets at a shadow ele or pixie for any length of time is that in my experience pets gain better if they get time to regen mana and stamina between fights, rather than having one long single fight. Pixies for example will quickly run out of mana and as you can't tell them what to cast, they're pretty rubbish for gains. Eventually you'll get the same results, but the emphasis is on the eventually. Pet parking is what a lot of AFK tamers like to do, but I don't think it's the best method by a long way which is why I don't recommend it.

Wenchy

Hinotori

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If the dog is discoed, it will gain to GM just off healing itself. It's slower than casting poison though.

Another good way to get healing and resist up on your dog is to take it to Old Haven and disco it. Then get all the spectral spellbinders you can to attack it. Have to be very quick on the stop key or peace the pet. Healing wont go as fast as if you where just casting poison on it though. I use two or three spellbinders when I'm retraining resist on my ossies. That tamer just doesn't have enough mana regen for me to do it on my own. Spellbinders only do melee damage. They have no damaging spells. All they cast is spells like corpse skin, curse, blood oath, etc.

5% Luck

Im a paladin tamer and I find misimas are much faster then rotten corpse. They spawn faster and poison alot more often. You will need to use remove curse to get rid of the mortal strikes. If your human i think youve got a shot at it from JoaT. But im not sure.

You can even have a friend with a pup spar your doggy while both are discorded and vet them. You can gm its healing without any poison at all. Legendary discord brings a gm skill down to 72 witch is well under the need for poison. Dont be fooled discord is a percentage so if you discord an 80 skill animal the amount it goes down is far less than it would be on a 100 skill. It wont show 72 untill gm while discorded. It will look more like 74.4 or more.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The skill value doesn't show a drop, but it is still disco'd.

Wenchy

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
dont get it, disco does not effect healing at gm?
Sorry misread your message but I will leave the reply anyway for others.

Disco does not lower the Healing Skill, but the Cu will gain in healing.

When one of my Cu's was at about 91.2(?) I got bored one night and took it to the Ogre Island In Despise to beat on the 3 Ogre Lords. He came out at 92.7(?).

A correlation between disco and the OL's is the Cu was taking enough damage that I could maintain it at below 50% health without a great deal of risk. Mostly I would just intervene and heal when it was at the last full bar of health.

I have observed that this low health scenario is common with Deadly Poison from the RC's.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Disco does lower the healing skill, it just doesn't show up correctly in the animal lore gump.

Wenchy

S

sinalong

Thank you for the replys, I posted this same question on the bard forums and have had no replys. Tammers forums rock

kitiara-atlantic

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you cast poison on the pup, do you have to keep it locked up in a pen somehow? Otherwise, would it go aggro on you and eat you?

(This topic has also been troublesome for me, and therefore all of my trained pups are 4x GM because I've never managed to GM healing on any of them!)

Thanks!

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well I had to cast and run when I did it, but now the pet AI has changed you can say all stop and stay then it won't retalliate.

Wenchy