• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Discordance] Think I'm doing something wrong

C

Cyric_SP

Decided to finally work up disco so I have it available to use. I stoned my music and reworked it back to GM and locked it. Bought a bunch of npc instruments and set off to work disco.

I used polar bears. Disco then rinse/repeat.

I started with 32.6 bought from npc. After about 4 hours I'm only up to 49.2. From what I read in the sticky, it seems everyone is gaining faster then that. I even lored all the bears and all are in the 41-44 barding difficultly range. I went so long with out gains at one point, I kicked all the bears out of my house and got 10 new ones, still the gains are painfully slow.

Am I doing something wrong or are the gains really this slow?

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
that does seem a little long.

while the absolute top out cap is like 65, its really slow going after 60.

but you are no where near that.

off the top of my head i cant think of what would be causing the slow gains.

i know a while back someone had posted that gains seemed to be slower, so im guessing that the tweaked something in the code to make skill gain a little slower.

but it sounds like you have everything going right there.

what you could do is kill off the bears and move up to whatever your gonna use for your next level, and then just put on a ring or something to get yourself into range and see how gains are there.

put ring on, take ring off, put on a watch to get your self over ect ect ect.

so say you go to lowland bouras next.
get a +15 ring and watch.
put them both on, gives you 80 skill.
run your macro for a bit, see how ya gain.
take off the watch.

run it again.
compare.

lowland bouras arnt a good example for that, they are more then 80 barding diff.

so say gaman's.

L

lit2fly

does that relate to success rate?

skill gain the best when the success rate is 50%, if your music is 100 even if disco is 50, you still pretty much can success every time you disco a polar bear

have you try to stone your music, bring it up to 50 something by buying from NPC and wear jewelry, lock it, and see if that helps?

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
no

dont EVER do that!

your music MUST be GM.
no higher.
no lower.

if you are at 50 music then chances of you passing the first check of the skill is 50/50 (which is the music check)

so basically youve assured yourself right there by locking your music at 50 that you will double your training time because you are going to fail half your music checks.

and we dont go above GM because then you get the music bonus.

GM music if your training on animals.

no higher.
no lower.

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
just so everyone knows.
Cyric didnt release the pets in his house to train on them.

hehe, he's such a kidder!

always with the jokes.

*sighs*

funny guy!

he actually was just running around on ice island.

because we ALL know that releasing pets in your house to train on IS A BANNABLE OFFENSE!!!!

that cyric, allways with the jokes!

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm attempting to train a bard, not very well though. Music is going up as I train. I guess I should just play the instrument till I hit gm? I've done disco so far by running around the ilsh oaks spawn with a 'nearest mobile' macro picking up the shadow wisps.

C

Cyric_SP

Thx Poo. I does seem odd the gains are so slow. Before I went to bed last night I imbued a ring and braclet with +13 disco each. Gonna head out and try the garmans using jewelry and see it helps any.

I really hate working skills :sad2:

Mac

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi ya Petra,

Yeah, you wanna GM Music first. To get any gains in any of the other Barding skills, you have to pass the music check first, and the only way to guarantee that is to GM Music. That's not to say you won't get gains in the other Barding skills with less than GM Music, it just means there will be some wasted effort if you are discording and fail the music check. The Barding skills are hard enough to raise with GM Music, no need to add to the difficulty.

Mac

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
I'm attempting to train a bard, not very well though. Music is going up as I train. I guess I should just play the instrument till I hit gm? I've done disco so far by running around the ilsh oaks spawn with a 'nearest mobile' macro picking up the shadow wisps.
yup yup!

whenever i start a new bard the first thing i always do is GM music.
sit at the bank, chat with people, annoy people.

then once i GM music and lock it then i start into my barding skills.
it only takes a couple hours to GM music.
if your scrolled to 110 or 120 if FLYs to GM.

startle

Siege... Where the fun begins.
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
One thing that ALWAYS makes a difference when training skills, is to have your TOTAL SKILLS AS LOW AS POSSIBLE... The GGS is designed to "feel sorry" for you if your skill total is lower.

So, if possible, stone your other skills to get your SKILL TOTAL as low as you can get it!

Just sayin....

:thumbsup:

***Edit: If you have UOAssist then make a macro that plays your instrument say 10times (with waits in between) and assign it to a key.... Lessens the finger cramping.

yars

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Doesn't casting the masteries help gain skill? or was that a fluke?

startle

Siege... Where the fun begins.
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Doesn't casting the masteries help gain skill? or was that a fluke?
You are absolutely correct yars... You can use the Masteries to go all the way to 120 if you want, in the peaceful confines of your home...

BUT, don't forget, you can only begin "using" the Masteries AFTER you get to a certain LEVEL of "bardsmanship", and I can't remember how high you need to be before you start... I'm sure someone will weigh-in here with the exact level... 90?

:thumbsup:

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
90 real before you can use masteries.

Z

Zero Day

Yeh my new bard discorder is slow going. I 120's peace and provo but still waiting on disco which is at 73. SLOW going, I've been running around doing gamans tsuki wolves, and rune beetles but when barding and 40 chiv are the only skills on your template :D riskay!

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
go play with lowland bouras or Ruddy bouras.

or hell, highlands if you want pelts.

a lot safer.

Z

Zero Day

I should mention that my bard has 40 chiv, 100 music and 76 discord.
No other skills :)

L

Lady Tala

i went and got the disco masteries the other day and I've casted it a few times, but I don't know how it is suppose to help me gain, what am I doing wrong here?

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
its the same as working any other magic based skill.
you just need to cast it over and over and over and over and over......

you dont save any time by training with the masteries over trianing on animals.
the time is about the same, so very slow, but you do save on the fact that you dont need to go out and get any animals to train on.

so just cast one of the masteries, and then cast it again, and again, and again and again for about 2 days.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Doh! guess who forgot about masteries!
I just hit gm on disco and provo, singing to mud eles in shame. Barding animals standing still is boring! I've done kappa, tsuki wolves, yomotsu warriors and fan dancers on the way up.
What do I do with music? unlock? Leave locked? let it go up a bit and re-lock?

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Doh! guess who forgot about masteries!
I just hit gm on disco and provo, singing to mud eles in shame. Barding animals standing still is boring! I've done kappa, tsuki wolves, yomotsu warriors and fan dancers on the way up.
What do I do with music? unlock? Leave locked? let it go up a bit and re-lock?
for every point music goes above 100 your provo/disco/peace chance goes up 1% I believe, with that in mind It will make make you have to switch up to harder critters sooner!
and Using masteries is a great way to go now also!

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
exactly.
if your training on animals then leave your music locked at GM.

if your gonna use the masteries then you can turn your music up and let it ride.
as the masteries dont use the music check, or they do, but not in the same way that the direct skill does.

but if you are training on animals, like mentioned above, then your gonna have to move up to higher level stuff if your music is higher then GM.

like when i did 120 disco the first time, i had 120 music and i ended up going into Kaldun and discoing the tentacles of the harrower that are down there cause i needed the top or the top shelf in barding diff to gain with.

WildWobble

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Try useing a crystal ball of knoledge while training disco! shadow wisps and pixys at the illsh oaks spawn will get you from 20-80

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
exactly.
if your training on animals then leave your music locked at GM.
Training on animals is booooring! Not to mention unprofitable. Current skills are: Music 113.4 disco 115.1 provo 119.5

Had lots of fun provoing golems onto grave robbers (they bounce, try it!), also been doing Abyss mini spawns, shame dungeon level 3 and rotting corpses in Doom. Gargoyle outcasts are still 'challenging' only visit those occasionally - I learned to leave the rouser alone. I'd forgotten that he called the void manifestation, got it once by accident. It took several deaths and a lot of effort to disco it (repeat after each death) provo outcasts, all their summons and cast evs on it till I got it dead. Work the group by the Ranger house and provo their RC's back on them. :D
When I want a quiet time I go disco cu's in twisted weald, but not for more than half an hour. - gain arrows and bolts off the changelings as I do that.