• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Things that make you realize you're getting old.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I realized the other day that less time had passed since the Theatrical release of Gone with the Wind (1939) and Star Wars Episode IV (1977), 38 years, than has passed since the Star Wars Episode IV and Today, 40 years.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Whenever I hear someone reference the 1990's and early 2000's like they were talking about an ancient civilization.

When I see how much older a well known person looks currently compared to how I remember them (Bill Clinton in particular looks so much older now than the mental image I have of him in my mind).

When I drive by places I used to go to all the time as a kid, and don't recognize a single building because the entire neighborhood has completely changed.

When I realized I have lived longer than my great-grandfather did, which is true as of this year.

Kolka

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Campaign Patron
When you go to the bank and your first thought is "wait, are you old enough to handle money?"

When your kids tell you no one really goes to the bank anymore.

When your kids give up trying to show you how to bank with your phone and tell you just to go to the bank.

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I Often have to deal with people half my age via text and email. I cant keep up with their short hand styles. I often find myself googling random letters to see what they meant to say.

I travel a ton for work, mostly in small towns across america. Ive been doing it for about 15 years now. most these places have starbucks, wifi towers, wal marts etc etc.... 15 years ago all they needed was a stage made out of hay and a band to entertain themselves.

I used a rental car the other day. Took me 15 minutes to figure out there was no key. that one really got me.

Whenever I hear someone reference the 1990's and early 2000's like they were talking about an ancient civilization.

When I see how much older a well known person looks currently compared to how I remember them (Bill Clinton in particular looks so much older now than the mental image I have of him in my mind).

When I drive by places I used to go to all the time as a kid, and don't recognize a single building because the entire neighborhood has completely changed.

When I realized I have lived longer than my great-grandfather did, which is true as of this year.
Hell dude, I still remember the early 1970s and watching Ultraman after school.

Last edited:

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I used a rental car the other day. Took me 15 minutes to figure out there was no key. that one really got me.
The same thing happened to me last year... I eventually asked a passing employee how to turn on the car. He looked about 18 and gave me a blank stare like he was trying to figure out if I was joking or not. Then pressed the "on" button. I felt so incredibly stupid, but I had never seen a car where the key only has to be within 20 feet for the car to be usable without the key needing to be inserted anywhere.

Odin Firefly

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This feeling of old happens to me when I go to tell a story or event that happened in my past but only when I get to the end of it and say wow that was 20-25-30 years ago.
Or when i see youngsters wearing a new t-shirt of an old band album that I've actually been to the concert of that albums release.

SugarMMM

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The other day I was out driving around listening to music and I noticed a car with an unlatched hood. So I rolled up to it at the next light and gave them the international roll your window down hand motion.

They had no idea what I meant and 3 lights and intersections later i got out at the light and closed their hood.

They asked what my hand motion was and I told them it meant to roll down the window! They said they or their parents never had roll down windows! OMG!

I bet they had a good story about how old people are weird!

*Fixed spelling*

Last edited:

Blackie

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
LOL. Is the roll down the window signal already obsolete? Thanks, now I feel older!

If you hand a teen a casette tape and a pen today they have no idea what you're asking them to do. Only an old timer would know that you put the pen in the hole and spin it to rewind the tape without a machine, lol.

I suppose not knowing exactly what all of your friends are doing and thinking at every moment is a thing of the past too. Man, I lived in a time without emails, cell phones, social media and Google(and loved it). I'm old!

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wow... that is a whole new level of ignorance. I have no idea how it's possible for a person to be that uninformed about such a popular event.

giphy.gif

Edit: It appears the post I was commenting about was deleted, it was about people on Facebook not knowing the Titanic sinking happened in real life and thought it was just a movie.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I realized the other day that less time had passed since the Theatrical release of Gone with the Wind (1939) and Star Wars Episode IV (1977), 38 years, than has passed since the Star Wars Episode IV and Today, 40 years.
LOL Same, but different movies. I tried rewatching some old favorite shows like Highlander and they just aren't good. I remember obsessing about that show and it's just horrible to watch now.

Very much this. Just took my girlfriend to a few spots I grew up at and didn't even recognize the place at all except my old high school. Even the house I lived in was torn down and rebuilt.

I remember when I was young I couldn't even get a rental car for not having a credit card.

The biggest thing for me is watching celebrities and hearing about who is dying. I'm only 35! RIP Chris Cornell and Chester Bennington.

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I was born not long after the end of World War II. I still recall the ice box in our kitchen (my parents didn't get a refrigerator until I was around six years old) , and Mom's wash tub and scrub board (she washed our clothes by hand when I was small). Remembering not only makes me feel old... it reminds me that I am old.

Last edited: