• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Things that are wrong with UO and tied to pvp

Swordsman

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Except the vice virtues, other player fights are not really pvp, those behaviour mixed with greed, harrassment, and sins.

Martell

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Would be totally for this if and only if the devs somehow make the +1 FC town buff available to reds.

Most folks started going blue even before the royal forged pardons just to get this buff.

Again, this was a poorly thought out piece of new content, was flagged as such by the playerbase, and got ignored by the devs. They've said they've been working on a replacement...for like 2 years now.

Giggles

Wielder of Ebil Cookies
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I decided to stop reading any posts in that "pvp dying thread".
I decided that posting in that thread just raised my blood pressure.
I decided Instead i'd like to talk about things that affect my enjoyment of the game.

PARDONS

I think pardons, an royal pardons need to be eliminated from the game completely.
What would this accomplish though?
Things will just go back to how they were in the old days... Ghosts littering the moongate working off counts... people reworking a suit or two to have characters permanently red.
In fact, all (well 99.5%) of my PvP characters are and have been red for years and years. I just don't see the point or purpose that you see in this proposition. The red/blue/grey system has never stopped people from PKing.. removing pardons won't do that either.

edit Not trying to be snarky or rain on any parades. I am legitimately intrigued and curious. As a PvPer myself, I wonder why some things like this are proposed, and/or what people really think will be gained from them.

Kirthag

Former Stratics Publisher
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
If we were only a single facet (no Tram), or even a 1-toon game, I could see pardons being useful.
Otherwise, they are superfluous and unnecessary.

Archnight

Legendary Merchant & Rare Collector
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I think pardons, an royal pardons need to be eliminated from the game completely
I don't think they should be eliminated from the game but would like them to be a rarer drop, right now on production shards they range from 250k-1.2m each... they should be harder to get and cost at least 5m+ each. Same with Royal Pardons that range between 10-15m, they should cost 25m+ each and be harder to get as well

TheDrAJ

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
What would this accomplish though?
Things will just go back to how they were in the old days... Ghosts littering the moongate working off counts... people reworking a suit or two to have characters permanently red.
In fact, all (well 99.5%) of my PvP characters are and have been red for years and years. I just don't see the point or purpose that you see in this proposition. The red/blue/grey system has never stopped people from PKing.. removing pardons won't do that either.

edit Not trying to be snarky or rain on any parades. I am legitimately intrigued and curious. As a PvPer myself, I wonder why some things like this are proposed, and/or what people really think will be gained from them.
Well if your pvp characters are Red then it should make no difference to you.

But I think blue players who commit murder should pay some price. If it takes them a while to burn off a count to get back to blue, they at least have payed some price for murder.

Also from my point of view if I see a red i attack, run or hide. If I see a blue I usually get killed because I never attack a blue first.
And remember I normally play siege so the only safe spot is a town.

WhiteWitch

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran

But I think blue players who commit murder should pay some price. If it takes them a while to burn off a count to get back to blue, they at least have payed some price for murder.

Also from my point of view if I see a red i attack, run or hide. If I see a blue I usually get killed because I never attack a blue first.
Yes the pardons have effectively made it so you dont know who is a red(because the "red" is blue) you have no warning and it makes it even easier for them to PK you.

On Siege, at least, the pardons should go, they make a joke of the whole notoriety system, a cheat so you can be a murderer and have no consequences, and even still use the virtues.

Pardons are so very fast food, they sort of fit ok in the "Macdonalds" that is prodo servers, not so much on the fine restaurant that is Siege.

King Greg

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I decided Instead i'd like to talk about things that affect my enjoyment of the game.

PARDONS

I think pardons, and royal pardons need to be eliminated from the game completely.
You should specify whether you are thinking in terms of siege or other servers.

As far as normal servers I am with Giggles on this one, Going red has never stopped me from Pking. That character is then just permanently red. Every pvp character I built back when I was actively pvping across 5 servers is still red to this day. I was out to fight whoever, whenever, wherever. I did not consider standing in guard zones and trying to fight a single red while someone healed me and hovering my finger over the guards macro to be pvping. When raiding /defending spawns you want to be on reds so your fields effect anyone not allied to you. The loss of town buffs is the biggest punishment of all for going red these days as you can do marvelous things with a free FC 1 (Opens up a whole world on weapons and jewels), everything else is just slightly annoying.

With Siege, I could understand completely. 1 Character. Can't just soulstone off skills to another character and swap suits. Players would literally have to have 2 accounts to keep a permanent red and a blue, and on siege reds can do pvm things as well so it's not like they would lose out on 90% of the content like on normal servers. So, for siege I would be for it.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
I don't really care about PvP issues. I don't PvP. I get slightly annoyed when the dev team spends time on it. But I'm not a tamer so I get annoyed when they spend time on tamers too ;) The only games I've seen that have a robust PvP system is when if you die basically nothing happens, other than you got to go back where you were when you died if that's where you wanna be. Those kinda games get a lot of PvP activity. But in any game where you lose something noticeable when you die it doesn't work so well. There's always someone with better equipment, quicker reflexes, or just has the motivation to think nothing but PvP and know every nuance of it. If your just an average player that likes to do lots of different things other than PvP your probably not going to be that good at it and will avoid it. But back on topic yeah I basically agree. Back when you could take care of someone with a loud mouth it was one thing, but those people don't go to Fel anymore anyway lol

TheDrAJ

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You should specify whether you are thinking in terms of siege or other servers.

As far as normal servers I am with Giggles on this one, Going red has never stopped me from Pking. That character is then just permanently red. Every pvp character I built back when I was actively pvping across 5 servers is still red to this day. I was out to fight whoever, whenever, wherever. I did not consider standing in guard zones and trying to fight a single red while someone healed me and hovering my finger over the guards macro to be pvping. When raiding /defending spawns you want to be on reds so your fields effect anyone not allied to you. The loss of town buffs is the biggest punishment of all for going red these days as you can do marvelous things with a free FC 1 (Opens up a whole world on weapons and jewels), everything else is just slightly annoying.

With Siege, I could understand completely. 1 Character. Can't just soulstone off skills to another character and swap suits. Players would literally have to have 2 accounts to keep a permanent red and a blue, and on siege reds can do pvm things as well so it's not like they would lose out on 90% of the content like on normal servers. So, for siege I would be for it.
I think that losing the FC1 is a great reason to do away with pardons speaking as a victim on a slow connection.

How about we allow Red Governors in Fel so you can run your own trade deals?

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
or, just make the fc1 bonus purgeable, and eliminated by death...
like it's supposed to be...
you don't need to introduce new content, just fix the bugs.

TheDrAJ

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I am a little appalled by reading that pvp suits are worth billions. How does a new player ever compete with established players? I've been playing the game since beta and I don't think I ever made even one billion. Consider how long it would take a new player to even make a 100 million. Talk about pvp imbalance.

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
no no, you can spend billions on a pvp suit, but it will only give you slightly better stats than one worth 50 mill, on my main char i have one legendary item (which i didn't even buy i found it in a monster) and the rest is just imbued plus VvV arties. You can still compete for cheap.

I tell you the truth, It is easier for a pack llama to pass through the spawn of a champ, than for a rich man to leave the gates of haven.

Last edited:

TheDrAJ

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
On production shards can VvV arties be worn by anyone?

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Siege has only 1 character as well...

So a Siege like shard... with PvP everywhere, 7 full character slots and limited insurance... and NO transfers... to or from... with it's own EM who does PvP oriented events...

Aeyko

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Literally the only reason everyone is blue now is for town buffs. Give town buffs to fell and everyone goes back to pvping on reds, tho siege would would be a wild card with the 1 char slot
This I agree with completely. Leverage the risk vs reward here. I'll be red on every single character I have with no issues. But the counter argument by the OP says if you're red you get Bucc's for one town bonus option (As there are more than 1 option) while a person whom never leaves the safety of trammel gets as many town buff options as he'd like. I'm seeing a common theme among-st the trammy community. If you're a weaker player, you want the game to be catered to you and you don't have to put any work in to get better. I mean Ultima Online is not rocket science, but it seems a "slow connection" is somehow Ultima online's responsibility to cater to said player so they can be happy with their participation trophy. God help the ones that want to play a competitive game... That would be entirely too much to ask from a snowflake community that wants everything handed to them with a simple "All kill" #Rantover

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Siege has only 1 character as well...

So a Siege like shard... with PvP everywhere, 7 full character slots and limited insurance... and NO transfers... to or from... with it's own EM who does PvP oriented events...
With no hiding/stealth

Skalazar

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
just skimmed the thread but I think Royal Pardons and Town Buff's should be removed. I am fine with the Treasure Hunter pardon's however as they only remove one count.

You can get enough mods on suits these days you don't need to hand out freebie mods just for being blue /or red if they went that route. Or just make the town buff's something that has no direct impact on combat such as increased luck, crafting success chance and whatever other random benefits players can think that do not provide combat bonuses.

cobb

Sage
Stratics Veteran
You can build a decent suit without spending billions. It might not be the "best", but the suit can still be fairly competitive. And nobody starts out being good at pvp. That is not a realistic expectation. Everything in life takes a bit of practice to get good at.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron

PARDONS

I think pardons, and royal pardons need to be eliminated from the game completely.
There are nothing way with Pardons, people should be free to choose their color.

There are other thing that need to changes.

There are to few reasons for a PK to stay red but lots of reasons to stay blue.
- He can't use the virtue, there need to be anti virtue for reds, maybe a kind of tracking bonus, that make it easier for them to find blue or sense if many blues are near.
- Reds need to be able to go to any facet (Can't attack blue in Trammel zone)
- VvV need to be improved so it work as an PvP switch on all facets, if the red guy are VvV, he can fight VvV in Trammel some too like all other VvV should.

What advantage are there from being red? Not much.
- You can use field spell to attack all not allied around you but it also hit targets you do not want to hit, like blue npc's/guards in VvV towns.
- The fear effect on your victims, when they see you. But if no PK's want to stay red, a blue in the wilderness will be just as scary as a red for an innocent and that is bad, you should trust other blue.

Give PK's a reason to stay red if they want to PK. On Siege we only have a few reds left, that's sad.

WhiteWitch

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Turning red is not meant to give bonuses and advantages, its supposed to be a a punishment for killing innocents(no longer protected by town guards, no virtues etc) and also a warning to other players that this person is a murderer and will likely attack without provocation, a "heads up",

While these pardons(particularly the royal one) exist, you may as well just remove the red/blue system as it serves no real purpose anymore.

Last edited:

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
With no hiding/stealth
Just put 200 training points to Detect Hidden and Tracking and counter our 200 points in Hiding and Stealth so you can hunt us down and get your pker thrills. We dedicated 200 points to survive vs pkers, you spend the 200 points to pk us.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
no no, you can spend billions on a pvp suit, but it will only give you slightly better stats than one worth 50 mill, on my main char i have one legendary item (which i didn't even buy i found it in a monster) and the rest is just imbued plus VvV arties. You can still compete for cheap.

I tell you the truth, It is easier for a pack llama to pass through the spawn of a champ, than for a rich man to leave the gates of haven.
Not giving you a hard time... but it crossed my mind about a new player seeing they could get into something for a mere 50 million lol. Wonder why the new players don't stick around. To drop 10 million on a decent item is just normal day to day activity now. I was thinking if I were a new player, without any real understanding how to amass gold, 50 mill would sound like an impossible task. Although PvP does tend to be more for the advanced player in most games.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
No one's forcing anyone to spend plats on a suit. You spend plats on a a suit build if you make gold and have nothing else worth your time to put it into.

I don't buy deco and decorate my house (I'm guilty of living in an box house full of bags/boxs). I don't buy rares. But what I do do is make new chars and constantly tweak their templates and suits. I'm also a perfectionist so I like to cap out mods like some OCD level sickness.

On other shards I run 5-15mil suits that are only inflated by the cost of a couple artifacts. Both are competitive enough.

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Ok this thread has gone way off track. I have cleaned it up and will leave everyone with one simple warning, please keep the posts on topic and civil. From this point on, a thread ban and/or warning will be issued to anyone not wanting to stay civil and on topic. Please take personal arguments to icq or in-game.

Great DC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Im ok with removing all pardons from UO. Id rather see reds then oranges in Pvp. Id remove VVV as well, its a disaster.

Wing Zero Straight Edge

Seasoned Veteran

You're right about some kind of long cool down, anytime I have seen blues trying to gank people 5 vs 1 all being blue the moment they kill anyone they then spam there pardon over and over.
Its kind of lame to be honest.

Wing Zero Straight Edge

Seasoned Veteran
Im ok with removing all pardons from UO. Id rather see reds then oranges in Pvp. Id remove VVV as well, its a disaster.
VvV sucks!!!
Someone kills someone then just camps there body till they res or they run circles around the healer hoping to gank whoever is getting a res, sad annoying broken game play mechanics.

cobb

Sage
Stratics Veteran
VvV sucks!!!
Someone kills someone then just camps there body till they res or they run circles around the healer hoping to gank whoever is getting a res, sad annoying broken game play mechanics.
Well then it is probably a good idea to go res somewhere else so you don't keep getting killed.

RhelHalcyon

Journeyman
They could get rid of the royal forged pardons - or just get rid of people going red all together. Royal Forged pardons are just a minor inconvenience between having "red" and removing it from the game altogether.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

PARDONS

Royal pardons should be a one time thing, simply because they make regular pardons obsolete, and they are already pretty obsolete. I don't really think pardons matter in this day and age. If someone is pking they probably want to be red, and they have alts for anything blue the need/want to do.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This happen very often? I haven't been attacked by a blue in like 7 years. Usually if there's a blue its just to scout, and that's fairly rare even.

Great DC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Technically there was always a from of a royal forged pardon available. Before you just stoned all your skills and deleted your red char and remade it and stoned your skills back on. Bam your blue again. But yeah there should never be pardons of any form in the game, you go red you suffer from the decision you made. VVV and the town bonus made todays bad UO all bluebies, bring back factions and just make it better. No more trumps version of repeal and replace with VVV. AHAHAHAH but seriously.

TheDrAJ

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Technically there was always a from of a royal forged pardon available. Before you just stoned all your skills and deleted your red char and remade it and stoned your skills back on. Bam your blue again. But yeah there should never be pardons of any form in the game, you go red you suffer from the decision you made. VVV and the town bonus made todays bad UO all bluebies, bring back factions and just make it better. No more trumps version of repeal and replace with VVV. AHAHAHAH but seriously.
That must have been before power scrolls. hehehehe

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This happen very often? I haven't been attacked by a blue in like 7 years on prodo. Usually if there's a blue its just to scout, and that's fairly rare even.
I fixed that for ya..In all honesty, you don't log in on Siege as much as you used to either.

Giggles

Wielder of Ebil Cookies
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Well... in my perfect world, the entire fel facet would make EVERYONE VvV (flag orange) upon entering.... No pardons needed ever again.

UO is one of the few games left that "punishes" the pvp playstyle. Fel has its massive benefits (especially now with the increased need for power scrolls). If you wish to go there you should be free game, attack-able and orange, without any punishment given to the aggressor. There is so much content available to non pvp playstyles. We just have the one facet, the one perk of powerscrolls, and that one enjoyment of the game, the enjoyment of the fight. I love seeing trammel players group up in hoards of 15+ people to chain despise. Sometimes I die a lot fighting them, but its still fun to fight. They have anticipated being attacked and prepared with a army. There are no sheep or wolves really in that scenario, and both groups are getting what they want.

Edit --- Siege might be best to handle slightly different, however this is what should happen to all prodo shards in my humble opinion.

Last edited:

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
ive posted many times about royal pardons being removed. vvv has ruined pvp for many small groups, most cant compete because everyone is your enemy and they just give up on trying to fight. its also a pain to hunt with other vvv people because u end up attacking each other, non vvv people all end up turning orange and then everyone is accidently attacking each other lol. too funny but not fun. it would be fair for reds to get town buffs, maybe from fel bucs and/or other places. the more ways things are fair, the more fighting you will get.

Great DC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The only thing VVV did that was good was shorten stat time, the rest is a complete disaster. Factions was ten times more fun, all they needed to do was add some new content to it. They could've made a couple new factions with new bases, added new vendor options and sheriff options. Coulve even added specific stealables to bases/towns to make thieves more interested. The whole town bonus thing is nonsense with todays loot table, and it should certainly not be tied to governor's. Politics and UO do not mix period. How many threads were made on here about people making accounts cross sharding to vote, its not something they could stop people from doing. I'm with @cazador and say lets just delete all content patches for the last 3-5 years. Bring back the fun and real UO. I mean just look at what they did to justice virtue, first they made it so justice wears down now after each use, then come out with a patch adds pardons and trammel only town bonuses, which makes everyone in game blue. So how does someone go out and get justice for themselves, oh yeah just make a red on your other account and kill them, that's real fun. Its so sad whats happened to this game.