• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

There is a movement starting here...

• Thread starter imported_BlacK RaiN
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
I

imported_BlacK RaiN

There is a movement starting here gaining more and more momentum.

We have for years and years played the game without coming here and sharing our experiences with one another in game, not voicing our concerns or why we've enjoyed playing this game more than any other game offered in the industry.

We miss seeing the crafters at our city forges selling their wares to the knights heading out of town to battle the dangers of the wilderness.

We miss seeing the monster hunters traversing our dungeons gathering treasures and wares to redistribute to our populations so that they could go out and battle the evils of the world, too.

We miss having enemies with intelligence and personalities trying to suppress our fellow Sosarian brethren giving us communities with a purpose other than our own individual progression but, the progression of our community as a whole.

We miss seeing thieves trying to make a living and adding just on more flavored dish to our pot-lucks.

We miss having the freedom to chose our own destinies, our own paths, our own purpose in this game. To immerse ourselves into a world where people played the characters we interacted with.

We miss having our in-game actions determine what Virtues our characters did or did not possess... the true essence of our world.

Where people were playing Orcs, Pirates, Vampries, Merchants, Thieves, Knights, Brigands, Savages, Crafters, Hunters, Adventurers... all depending on one another interacting with each other opening a door into experiencing what we know as Ultima Online.

The nay-sayers have for too long been saying that restricting our game-play was because of all the jerks in the world ruining their fun. Well there are still jerks all over UO in Trammel AND in Felucca... and yet, our fun is still ruined.

The problem was never solved and has only caused us more problems in the loss of our players. In the loss of our communities of players who each had a role to play in our communities success... but were forced out because we no longer wanted or needed them. Well, we did need and want them... and until now... no one has told them that we did.

Let it be known that today, were changing that and gathering to tell you that we do not wish to go in the direction UO has gone any further.

We instead... wish to return to our roots and welcome back the Smiths at our forges, Orcs at our forts, Hunters in our Dungeons and fellow fans... back into our world.

We wish to have Ultima Online back. The Ultima Online that we fell in love with.

Our movement has started and you cannot stop it.

*tips hat*

~BlacK RaiN

The 11 year vet of Atlantic and Siege Perilous

Arcus

Grand Poobah
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

not voicing our concerns

[/ QUOTE ]

What.....just what??? Not voicing our concerns? Seriously....what?

I

imported_BlacK RaiN

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

not voicing our concerns

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Most people who have loved playing this game... playing under the ever increasing restrictions placed upon them... just played this game.

They did not come here to complain en mass but, only adapted until they could no longer adapt because they were obsolete... finally throwing in the towel and walking away from the great game.

Today, you see just one of those players telling you that we do not want to go through anymore of this and we want those people back. We want to forge a place for them to come back to.

Strange... isn't it?

And it's long... overdue.

F

Fayled Dhreams

... much like a newborns smile ...

probably just gas ...

Arcus

Grand Poobah
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

not voicing our concerns

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Most people who have loved playing this game... playing under the ever increasing restrictions placed upon them... just played this game.

They did not come here to complain en mass but, only adapted until they could no longer adapt because they were obsolete... finally throwing in the towel and walking away from the great game.

Today, you see just one of those players telling you that we do not want to go through anymore of this and we want those people back. We want to forge a place for them to come back to.

Strange... isn't it?

And it's long... overdue.

[/ QUOTE ]

Strange? No. People have wanted what you desire for a long time. Long overdue? I think you are discounting the people who have been fighting to get UO back to the way UO was for a long time.

Stigmatas

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

probably just gas ...

[/ QUOTE ]

ROFL

Ya know what comes after the gas right?

Arcus

Grand Poobah
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

probably just gas ...

[/ QUOTE ]

ROFL

Ya know what comes after the gas right?

[/ QUOTE ]

A comment from you?

G

rofl, hit the nail right on the head!! too bad it wont bury for crap!

anyways, after a babys smile from gas, a few months go by, and they start smiling for real, then they start rolling over, then crawling, and walking, thus we get the movement.... it isnt an overnight thing, much like the babys smile, great comparison, thank you!

Dean478

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We used to refer to this age as The Second Age. It's long gone I'm afraid. Thanks to the idiots who thought Renaissance was a good solution (it was short term).

I'm afraid they finally topped it off with Age of Shadows.

But there is one thing that helps me hold hope. As Starr Long (the original producer said) "We have a fictional reason to support having multiple worlds. All these other games that have multiple servers — running multiple copies of the same exact game — just do it just because they have to. We actually sat down and took the effort to create a fictional reason why all these multiple worlds are present".

So as far as I'm concerned, it shouldn't be too hard to create some classic UO servers. The ones with the very dynamic and less linear world. THe one that didn't offer restricted "end-game" (how do you use that term in a sandbox game) and the one that had Seers/GMs giving so much for players todo.

Bring back The Second Age and take it from there. This time, no bloody elves or raid-like content. Keep it Ultima.

G

Could never happen the majority of posters here want UO as a single person game all for them sad to say and want nothing to do with improving the community of this game

G

if you look, the same posters are allways in opposition of fel improvement, and stigmata is leading the herd, much like the same posters posting our side for fel, but if you actually count, there are a ton of players asking to improve fel, we are not asking to close tram, though it would be nice, we are asking that before you put in crap like pub 16, and insurance, live in fel, dont just browse by it, and understand what the people there do, and want, because though the anti-fel group wont admit it, it WASNT tram that cleared fel, as a matter of fact far from it, it was PUB 16! just go look at the PvP tourney they had around 2001 or 2003 or whenever, right before PUB 16, and see how packed that thing was! i will reply with a link soon

S

Smedly

The only movement Im familiar with is the one Fayled Dhreams mentions and I have posted here and sent emails etc to the Greater Gods at Origin and EA, and I appologize to the guildmates that were unfortunate enough to be in Vent or TS with me after "They" had destroyed another of my characters but I fully understand what you are talking about. I would rather be playing the game like it was 10+ years ago when I started. I was enjoying the game more then, living in an 8X8 with a hundred of each reg and a couple of K in my bank than now in a castle, not needing regs and millions in the bank. The community was a big part also, friends swaping what they crafted for what you crafted to milling around the smithy in Britian on Saturdays, waiting to get the 3 or 4 GM smiths that always come there, to repair my armor and weapons. It seems like everytime there is something fixed the only thing that I see happen is more of my friends dissapear. Nuf said before I wander into a rant LOL

G

Ain't much to role-play about anymore, huh? I try sometimes still but noobs ruin it, and aside from that what's the point...

I can try on my crafter to stand outside Luna and try to do what sell repair deeds?

Honestly Luna ruined UO, get rid of Luna and I promise UO will become soooooo much better.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
What movement are you talking about? And who is "We"? You and the other Trammel haters, that 9 times out of 10, insult those of us that chose NOT to stay around in Felucca and get griefed to death, here on these very boards that you're trying to be so patriotic over.....one sec.........LOLOLOLOLOLOL......please.

G

They could leave all the bugs in UO and just add more immersive content and it would flourish. There are simple things, maybe large programming tasks, but simple things that could be done to make UO as it were. The future is bright.

If you REALLY think UO is going down hill, and you REALLY think it need help. know this. draconi, jeremy, leurocian, they all love and want the best for UO.
but they just dont have the resources.
I agree 1000000000.03f % with this. and if you do to...

Then tell these people you want EAmythic's ultima team to have more programmers, more resources, and more whatever it takes to make UO great like they want it.

G

everyone keeps saying more content more content more content..... we dont really need much more content yet, this is allready the game with the most content, and very immersive game play, there are a ton of us that use to spend literally 16 - 18 hours in a single day online! when my brother and i shared an account i can remember it being logged in and active literally 24 hours, because i would sleep then wake up and play, and then he would.... you cant get more immersed than that. i agree with more content every now and then, but not at the cost of the content that is there...

G

If you'd been around in 1998-2000 you'd know that much of what the OP relates IS what was happening. Why try to make it a playstyle thing? It's all about the game.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I"ve been around since late 97. My point is, usually the OP is Tram Slamming and playstyle insulting, and now he's pretending to be William Wallace preparing to kill the English...

G

garth, if yuo have played since late 97 how can you make some of the comments you do? also, i am with william!! go Braveheart!!

G

Couple things that would go a long way to make this happen:

1. Crafters should be able to make items equal to the best arties available, but the ingredients for the arties should have to be looted from monsters.

2. No more repairs on any items. Keep the insurance if we have to, but let the items decay so there is ALWAYS a reason to have crafters in the game and monsters to kill.

These two simple things would go a LONG way in improving this game IMO.

P.S. Not allowing forges in homes might be nice as well. Not totally sure of this yet.

G

Now alot of folk talk about going way, way back before Tram.... tell you what..... I never played durring that time..... and it's a pretty safe bet I wouldn't have stayed with UO for this long had I started then...... I would have quit in 2 weeks.... Now..... what i do miss is the crafters hanging out in Brit near the Cemetary at the Smithy there.. I miss the large roleplay community that Great Lakes had..... I miss that very, very much...... Do I think we could get it back???? Yes.... Perhaps.. but it would take a bunch of work..... First off..... there isn't alot of need for crafters..... I think Repair deeds ruined alot of that.... I wish there was a better way where folk could actually intrust their items to a crafter for repairs and for perhaps even attempted enhancement..... However.... I don't think that's likely to occur... though I have thought for a long time that some sort of bag could be fixed to each of the smiths or tailors that worked a bit like a vendor contract person clicks the bag, targets the crafter he wants to do the work.... the crafter ok's the work..... and then the person puts his goods in the bag and all is secure and the crafter can do what he needs to, either repair or enhance from the secure bag at a craft shop.... I imagine that would be hard as heck to do..... but would be nice...

Also .... Seers!!!!! If we could bring back seers..... some blessings.... things like that for the community that would help..... Hard though to keep things fair and not allow corruption...... that's the bigggest problem.... Is keeping UO and the community from corruption..... and from hackers, scammers, and griefers.... if you could do that.... then you'd have the best game ever... and if you could keep it that way...... UO would see a sharp increase in players once again.... that much I'm sure of..... but chances there are slim to none.

G

So... is your position here, for this movement:

That you want to go back to the old days?
That you want things to go back to the way you liked it best?
That you want crafters and roleplayers to become more visible in towns and require other players to need to interact with them more?
That you want more 'intelligent monsters' to PvP with?
That you want old players who could no longer adapt because of the obsoletion of non-con combat everywhere in UO production shards?

What exactly are you wanting for this movement?
Everything you liked that you missed?

(Just trying to help you focus the prime directive for your movement.
My advice is to take your wants and fold them into a viable future for UO that does not require any additional rulesets. They have had way too much to juggle already and it has been noted that taking on more rulesets is just not feasible. Tram/Fel/Siege + 2D/KR seems like too much to deal with as it is.)

G

*smiles* A thought out and passionate statement.

It seems these are the days of bread and circuses. Items and events rule the land and the masses seem pleased. Many have come dependant on the bread and circuses to find excitement and fun. *sighs*

About the crafters, I remember standing and just watching. This was on Catskills. I can not remember the Master Smith's name, but a guild of crafters would gather at the Brit forge. Business was good for them.

Alas, that cat is out of the bag. When the BOD system hit, everyone wanted a crafter. Five characters per account, then six, seven... Add soul stones into the mix. *shakes head* We have no need for each other, we have everything.

The only fix I see for crafting is specialization. It will be next to impossible to take general crafting away. I would like to see an option to "commit" to a crafting style. Remain a general crafter or choose a specialty and make incredible items in your specialty. Items others will want.

I would like to see other folks ideas on reviving the noble pursuit of crafting.

On community. EA/Mythic has a lot of opportunity here. Folks that choose a location to build together should be rewarded. Make it cost. That would be fine. There is plenty of gold in the game. Give me a reason to spend it.

Other types of communities could be rewarded too. A guild that decides to be orcs, thieves, savages, hillbillies, elves... well, elves have been done, but I hope you see my point. Like my ideas on the crafter, you could choose a general guild or a specialized guild. A specialized guild could have benefits and detriments. Just a thought.

I really enjoyed reading this post BR. Perhaps we are not so disseperate after all?

G

Yeppers, I agree with most all you have said..

and..
<blockquote><hr>

The only fix I see for crafting is specialization. It will be next to impossible to take general crafting away. I would like to see an option to "commit" to a crafting style. Remain a general crafter or choose a specialty and make incredible items in your specialty. Items others will want.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I might begin to like Kelmo a bit more as well...

I

imported_BlacK RaiN

<blockquote><hr>

What movement are you talking about? And who is "We"? You and the other Trammel haters, that 9 times out of 10, insult those of us that chose NOT to stay around in Felucca and get griefed to death, here on these very boards that you're trying to be so patriotic over.....one sec.........LOLOLOLOLOLOL......please.

[/ QUOTE ]

He without sin cast the first stone.

Fluffi

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Where, exactly, is this movement starting?

How many people are behind it?

I wish you well in your attempt to reset the clocks throughout Sosaria, but I doubt that you will receive much support.

The last time anybody made any real effort to canvass public opinion regarding "old-style" UO was when Tanis made a poll on an independant website.
The poll was something along the lines of "would you play on an old-style UO shard?"
The poll was not on a UO-related site; it was not on a Stratics site; no registration was necessary - you just opened the webpage, entered a user name, and voted.

The poll was well publicised here in UHall, and a large number of the forum warriors shouted that their 50-man guild would all sign-up immediately, and that 200 people in their ICQ list would give their right arm to play old-style UO.
We watched and waited to see the massive groundswell of support in favour of the idea.

The poll lasted about 3 months, and if I remember correctly, ended-up with about 180 votes in favour (including my vote.) Not an overwhelming display of support.

NB. The following is not aimed at any particular individuals in this thread.

There is much that is wrong with UO today, and I applaud you for trying to make things "better" (although that is a relative term.) However, I think you may be disappointed by the response you get from the playerbase: There appear to be an awful lot of people who like to pose as old-school players for the sake of forum glory, but who go terribly quiet when push comes to shove.

I

imported_Skrag

<blockquote><hr>

We have for years and years played the game without coming here and sharing our experiences with one another in game, not voicing our concerns or why we've enjoyed playing this game more than any other game offered in the industry.

We miss seeing the crafters at our city forges selling their wares to the knights heading out of town to battle the dangers of the wilderness.

We miss seeing the monster hunters traversing our dungeons gathering treasures and wares to redistribute to our populations so that they could go out and battle the evils of the world, too.

We miss having enemies with intelligence and personalities trying to suppress our fellow Sosarian brethren giving us communities with a purpose other than our own individual progression but, the progression of our community as a whole.

We miss seeing thieves trying to make a living and adding just on more flavored dish to our pot-lucks.

We miss having the freedom to chose our own destinies, our own paths, our own purpose in this game. To immerse ourselves into a world where people played the characters we interacted with.

We miss having our in-game actions determine what Virtues our characters did or did not possess... the true essence of our world.

Where people were playing Orcs, Pirates, Vampries, Merchants, Thieves, Knights, Brigands, Savages, Crafters, Hunters, Adventurers... all depending on one another interacting with each other opening a door into experiencing what we know as Ultima Online.

The nay-sayers have for too long been saying that restricting our game-play was because of all the jerks in the world ruining their fun. Well there are still jerks all over UO in Trammel AND in Felucca... and yet, our fun is still ruined.

The problem was never solved and has only caused us more problems in the loss of our players. In the loss of our communities of players who each had a role to play in our communities success... but were forced out because we no longer wanted or needed them. Well, we did need and want them... and until now... no one has told them that we did.

Let it be known that today, were changing that and gathering to tell you that we do not wish to go in the direction UO has gone any further.

We instead... wish to return to our roots and welcome back the Smiths at our forges, Orcs at our forts, Hunters in our Dungeons and fellow fans... back into our world.

We wish to have Ultima Online back. The Ultima Online that we fell in love with.

Our movement has started and you cannot stop it.

*tips hat*

~BlacK RaiN

The 11 year vet of Atlantic and Siege Perilous

[/ QUOTE ]
lol wut?

Stigmatas

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

The last time anybody made any real effort to canvass public opinion regarding "old-style" UO was when Tanis made a poll on an independant website.
The poll was something along the lines of "would you play on an old-style UO shard?"
The poll was not on a UO-related site; it was not on a Stratics site; no registration was necessary - you just opened the webpage, entered a user name, and voted.

The poll was well publicised here in UHall, and a large number of the forum warriors shouted that their 50-man guild would all sign-up immediately, and that 200 people in their ICQ list would give their right arm to play old-style UO.
We watched and waited to see the massive groundswell of support in favour of the idea.

The poll lasted about 3 months, and if I remember correctly, ended-up with about 180 votes in favour (including my vote.) Not an overwhelming display of support.

[/ QUOTE ]

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Like number 2?
...la

B

BadManiac

So you're trying to tell me I miss the days when leaving the guard zone would mean you'd get PK'ed and have everything off your corpse robbed? And that I miss not even being able to bank safely in town because thieves would steal your hard earned loot as soon as you said "bank"?

No, I really don't miss those days. I enjoy the total freedom Tram gives me.

G

What a stupid mod must have been bored this is no where near a spiel or rant and should have stayed on Uhall its an honest disucssion lol another trammie kicking the fell playerbase in the teeth way to go WooT!!!

G

Perhaps it would have stayed on the main boards if Rico and others didn't have to make ridiculously sarcastic comments and stay on-topic...

Sargon

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
<blockquote><hr>

We instead... wish to return to our roots and welcome back the Smiths at our forges

[/ QUOTE ]
I was one of those GM Smiths 10 years ago who worked the Britain forge daily, but I'm afraid we will never see those days again as long as item insurance is around... and it will be around forever.

D

Draken-Korin

Great heartfelt post Black Rain, but the sad fact of the matter is for those that miss "the ole days" this game has basically stunk and been a sinking ship for going on more than half its life.

I could list many things that I think could have made a huge difference in our seeing these lands full of players and a true community, BUT WHY? The people developing this game don't care, they hang that carrot out there in the hopes everyone keeps accounts active not wanting to lose STUFF.

The UO DEV crew has been nothing but a group of liars (I don't care who they are, over the years insert name here) and people who just throw out the company line. Harken back to the coming of trammel, OH IT WON"T BE A MIRROR WORLD. Guess what came months later? *laughs*.

Trammel should have been a starting ground for those new to game, and a change could have been made that venturing deeper out into the wilderness would bring greater RISK to players from OH MY GOD other players. Perhaps killling a red would cause that red to be forced to "jail" for a determined amount of time based on the amount of "murders" they had, which would have ensured the pk community had to watch its "counts"....

OH good god why do I bother?

W

Woodville

Not to change the subject too much but; why doesnt another company or people make a new Ultima like game ?