• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Spellweaving] The UOGuide to Spellweaving

G

I am currently building the Spellweaving section on UOGuide. This is perhaps one of the least understood skills in UO today, and that is partly due to there being no complete and accurate source of information (especially for training). You can see the page here:

uoguide.com/Spellweaving

If you think or see anything is missing, either add it yourself or reply to this topic. I will be adding the rest of the spells and quests needed to train over the next couple days. I appreciate feedback!

C

Cyrus of Sosaria

Looks great so far, only thing i could see adding is maybe a section discussing the bonuses from Focus levels to certain spells(though really, just putting in "higher level foci boost the effects of all Spellweaving abilities" pretty much covers it...)

Also, an alternate gain path(aka, the one i used) is:
0-25 Arcane Circle
25-45 Reaper Form(you fail alot early on, but the gains are decent)
45-55 Summon Fey/Fiend(i prefer fey, since it's quested in Heartwood right next to the elf that gives the main weaving quest, AND doesn't require all those charges through the Sanctuary cavern...)
55-75 Essence of Wind
75-GM Wildfire(with a few wods on poor, unsuspecting mongbats as i wandered the countryside)

Slightly less spell intensive, in case someone's having trouble getting hold of them all(as i'm seeing ALOT less vendors selling the scrolls, and haven't seen any recently selling the full book, either...AND the drop rate for scrolls on the heavy farm mobs-swoop & troglodytes-seems to have dropped off)
Also a little less LMC intesive, though gathering a 40% set is a piece of cake anymore, a few hours at swoop and you can even have a 40% with mr2 on each piece...

G

At first I thought I was going to detail each spell on the Spellweaving page, but that is just too much information and it would make things really, really long. I think the brief summary is appropriate in this case and they can click the spell name to learn more. But you are correct that there should be more information on Arcane focus and how it is used on the main page.

As for the training part, I just put up what I knew and reference a few posts here on this board. It probably doesn't represent the most efficiant mannor in training the skill. I will ask someone about it and refine it some more. But you bring up a good point, perhaps a second chart showing when all skills can be cast to get some gains. I think I have the perfect chart in mind now and will add it soon.

Thanks for the comments.

G

Any chance of a chart with the damage/heal boost for each level of arcane crystal?

G

Yes, that would certainly be possible on each of the spell pages. But I don't have the time to do one at the moment, perhaps another person can make one up.

I

imported_Chad Sexington

Which quest to complete to begin spellweaving / how to you complete the quest?

N

Natanyel

You need to see either aleuva in Heartwood or Koole in Sanctuary details of the quest are on the link to uoguide in the first post

If youre on Europa just ask me if you need any help i'm usually in Haven

I

imported_Chad Sexington

Where do you find miniature mushrooms?

edit: nm, i found the info thx.

N

Natanyel

when you go for the exodus creatures i found it a good idea to go with someone who can res and if you yourself cant i suggest going with two people who can res

I

imported_Chad Sexington

Which is the best area to fight them? The hunter's guide has them at 3 locations.

N

Natanyel

i went to exodus dungeon in ishlenar
if theres 3 places exodus dungeon may not be best in my experience it tends to be guarded by paras

I

imported_Chad Sexington

Ok. I got lazy, but I finally just conpleted it a couple minutes ago. The hardest part was finding the entrance to the dungeon with all those critters running around. Was running circles around that place. Once you're inside it's actually quite easy because there's so much space. Thanks.

G

I am going to bump this since it has proven to be a valuable resource and would be a waste to get put into the archive.

L

Lady Riley

glad you did bump this.
Personally this would be a good one to sticky i would think.

TheDrAJ

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I was looking at your spell gain charts and I must admit they are wonderfull. However I am not sure they are accurate. Let me explain why I think so (this is not a flame thread). If your cap is 100 or 105 or 110 or 115 or 120 I believe the gain charts are different. ie If you eat a 120 scroll for example and then train I think you can gain to 100 using lower spells then you can if your max cap is 100. Any chance I am right?

I

imported_Lightning

For future reference, WoD works faster at 87+ then wildfire.. .I've tried both now, and gained 2.0 faster with WoD then Wildfire (with high MR at least... but I used the same 10MR with both spells)

G

<blockquote><hr>

Any chance I am right?

[/ QUOTE ]
Even though it has been two months I will respond. You may be correct. This is how it works for crafting skills that have power scrolls. But, if you take a skill such as Magery, the chance to cast does not scale when you eat a power scroll.

If I had to make a guess, I would say no. Eating a power scroll does not affect the chance to gain for Spellweaving or any skill except craft skills.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Ok. I got lazy, but I finally just conpleted it a couple minutes ago. The hardest part was finding the entrance to the dungeon with all those critters running around. Was running circles around that place. Once you're inside it's actually quite easy because there's so much space. Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is my dilemna.. Where is the entrance exactly? I've died 3 times looking for it.. Those darn paragons tear me up before I get a chance to invis and it's hell trying to provo them...

Edit: Ok, I found it.. For those also having this problem, the entrance is on the bottom floor of the structure.. I hadn't noticed the little doorways before. I took a friend this time and it was easily done with some EV's and a few Provo's...

Saunders

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you can go in party to the dungeon, then you are credited with one another's kills (ie, the whole party is regarded as having killed a creature). I am not sure whether you have to do any damage at all to the creature to get the credit, nor whether you can be credited while on another subserver.

L

Lord Drakelord

question for you all, the book says wod min skill is 80, but message I get on a char with 80 skill now says you must have 83 in skill, when did this change come out?

convas

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi there, thanks for the great guide! I have another 50 or so points on my (pvm) char that I was thinking of giving to spellweaving and I wanted to ask a couple of questions:

1) Is the Arcane Empowerment modifier 14% even when you are playing without other arcanists? In this case, does working with other arcanists give a bonus to that? (On uoherald.com it says that additional arcanists give a 10% bonus, but it doesn't mention the intial 14% that uoguide.com does... if that is the case and there are just 2 people with 24 spellweaving minimum, they can get 24% spell damage increase? it sounds too good to be true!)

and 2) I haven't seen (as far as I remember) any jewellery/artifacts that give a bonus to spellweaving. Are there any?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
1. Arcane Empowerment gives 10% SDI bonus + 1% for each level of arcane focus up to 16% for a level 6. (source = uo.com, verified by my personal testing, but only at GM or higher spellweaving. Results at 50 may vary)

2. There are none.

extra: At 40 spellweaving, you can cast arcane circle with any human character who has 0 spellweaving, even if they haven't done the spellweaving quest. At 41 spellweaving, you need to stone your spellweaving off to cast arcane circle with any other character.

Uoguide, stratics and uo.com give three different versions of what happens when you cast spellweaving spells. Some testing may be needed to verify which is actually correct.

S

SntaCruz83

Anyone want to chime in on how long it takes them to get to 120 using the suggested spells to train? At least for me, getting from GM to 120 has been a nightmare. Spending hours upon hours and feeling like I'm getting nowhere fast.

Update: In my annoyance/desperation, i used a soulstone to dump off excess skill points i had from see-sawing stats and from the previous template. I then used two soulstones to store 240 skill points to drop my base total. I've gained .6 in the last hour. Maybe it's a fluke, maybe i could have just killed my char or something...but it seems to have helped at least a little.

C

Caldwin_DDP

Finding the entrance to Exodus dungeon can be tough the first time. As you run up to it there are stairs going up. The entrances are to either side of those stairs and there are small doorways on the side as well. Once you're in that room go to the center and stand on the dark starry square.

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Finding the entrance to Exodus dungeon can be tough the first time. As you run up to it there are stairs going up. The entrances are to either side of those stairs and there are small doorways on the side as well. Once you're in that room go to the center and stand on the dark starry square.
Doing the quest through Sancturary is MUCH easier.

A

Aluma

Having a problem figuring out which monsters drop the scrolls to fill my book. Spent an hour at trogs, killed Lurg and Grobu (numerous times), no scrolls. Can anyone tell me which specific monsters drop the scrolls for the book??? :please: :confused: :grrr:

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I got most of my scrolls from Lurg...

If you are on Atlantic, I can help you fill your book.

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Could you give some tips/advices?
Read up on the quest first and bring everything you need with you. When it comes to killing the rats, up a screen or two on the right side is a hole- drop down it. There is a named ratman there that is fairly tough, but there are PLENTY of rats down there for you to complete your quest in time. Just don't run to the end of any tunnels, there are several that just pop you outside and it's a pain to run back in.

Honestly, if running through sanctuary is that hard (I've got it down and only get hit by the automated archer), level up honor a little bit and use that to run through.

A

Azathes

Thanks on this! Very useful for someone who hasn't played in years :D

DankNuggets

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
One thing I havn't seen is a section explaining how the Arcane Focus works and what it does. It's the "Eval" of spellweaving and seems to be misunderstood.

Leeda

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You need to see either aleuva in Heartwood or Koole in Sanctuary details of the quest are on the link to uoguide in the first post

If youre on Europa just ask me if you need any help i'm usually in Haven
Is there a problem with the timer or how fast rats spawn. I tried last night. I did the same thing for 8 times the highest with rats I could get was 48 before it timed out. I did die several times. I have never liked that place because you can't recall out. If I ever get it I am going to have to run the guanlet to get back safe. I dislike the other place even more then this one. When rats stoped spawned I kept an eye for two hours none spawned but as soon as I got a new quest because old one failed they spawned again each time was the same problem.

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You realize there is a hole you can drop down and kill 50 rats like no time at all.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Anyone who thinks WoD is better for gains than Wildfire at 90, at least after scrolling up, skills needs to reduce their drug intake.

I just ran a test - I'm currently training Spellweaving, and was at 90.2 when I started today.

WOD. ONE gain from dozens of attempted castings, casting nothing but WoD to go with my RC fighting Swoop. As I'm not currently using a focus, the damage to swoop is minimal (until I get it below 100 health, which takes 3 RC castings), about what one would get from Wildfire, so the damage levels aren't throwing off the tests.

Wildfire. Multiple gains per Swoop, usually 2-3, in about the same number of WoD castings.

Now, the way most skills work, each 5 points of PS over 100 indicates an increase of 2.5 skill in the window of where gains are possible. It really only extends the top end, not the whole spectrum of gains. At 120 PS, that's a gain of 10 points. HOWEVER, that's still only an expansion of the very easy range, where gains are supposed to be difficult to come by. The speed of the gains I'm getting seems to indicate I'm still at a lower tier (after all, I'm still failing some castings, even after reaching 91 skill)

At MINIMUM, if the spells started with a 50% success chance, the skill gain window for Wildfire should be 25 skill, up to 91, for unscrolled. 101 for scrolled. The fact that I'm failing on castings (consecutive ones, even) now at 91.5 indicates this isn't the situation.
If the spells success chance starts at ZERO (like Magery - the lowest level spells for most casters, equivalent to level 1 & 2 mage spells, actually start with a negative minimum skill level to give a small amount of success chance at zero), that would be a 50 skill window, and gains would be possible to 116, or all the way to 120 if scrolled to 110 or greater.
If it starts at some other number (say, 25%) but progresses at the 2 cap/1 range ration, then the ranges below 100% are reduced accordingly (with the amount between 0 and the start number cut out), but the extensions to the top end remaining (for the hypothetical 25% start, Wildfire would start at 25% at 66 skill, and hit 100% at 103.5 (66+37.5), with power scrolls extending it another 2.5 to 10 points.
If the window is something other than the standard 50 (modified by start point) of 90% of the skills, then it gets complicated, and I'd have to know the exact skill ratio to run the calculations.

Last edited:

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Anyone who thinks WoD is better for gains than Wildfire at 90, at least after scrolling up, skills needs to reduce their drug intake.

I just ran a test - I'm currently training Spellweaving, and was at 90.2 when I started today.
Have you tested actively training rather than just playing?

As in max LMC/MR/Med/Focus casting WOD repeatedly on a pet you're riding.
vs
Wraith Form casting Wildfire on the Acid Slugs from the ledge.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Actively testing - don't see a need to considering the abject failure of trying to use WoD.

But...
Human, no alt forms, 150 int, 166 max mana, 28 Mana regen. Starting around 92 SW.
Trying to cast WoD - going off less than 10% of attempted uses. Targeting anything that comes in range in the Twisted weald that won't bard me (no satyrs or dryads, but targeting wisps, pixies and that damned purple bird). 1 gain in about 20 successes and hundreds of attempts that fizzled. Half hour wasted.

vs.

Casting Wildfire, targeting self. Still showing "Easy" and having failures as I approach 95 skill, but have the spell go off 90% of the time, and at least 20 gains in about a half-hour, including several minutes worth of time spent meditating.

Result: the idea of switching over to WoD for training at any point below at least GM skill appears to be fundamentally flawed - with the possible caveat that elves might have a higher success chance at lower skill than humans or gargs.

Either there is a racial component to casting success that is throwing off the gain methods, or the charts are off by a significant amount.

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Do masteries help at all in getting gains after 91

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yes, you can gain exclusively from Mastery's after 90, put on a high MR suit and spam Mana Shield.
I’m at 102 is that the best spell to use all the way to 120 or at what point should I switch over

Thank you

SouthPaw

Lore Master
Working on spellweaving now, started using just the mastery spell-Mana Shield at 90 skill and it took about 10 hours to get to 101 (about 1 point per hour). Seems rather slow to me, but maybe that's normal or good for spellweaving. Can't help wondering if it would have been faster using WoD.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Working on spellweaving now, started using just the mastery spell-Mana Shield at 90 skill and it took about 10 hours to get to 101 (about 1 point per hour). Seems rather slow to me, but maybe that's normal or good for spellweaving. Can't help wondering if it would have been faster using WoD.
Honestly that is fast for Spellweaving.. it is so slow to gain after 105 that I just spent the gold and bought 5.0 SOT's... I got tired of luring a Bog Thing to a ledge and popping WOD forever while not having an arcane focus.

SouthPaw

Lore Master
Honestly that is fast for Spellweaving.. it is so slow to gain after 105 that I just spent the gold and bought 5.0 SOT's... I got tired of luring a Bog Thing to a ledge and popping WOD forever while not having an arcane focus.
I'm up to around 108.5 now, you're right, it got even slower after 105. I tried casting WoD and the crystal ball shows "easy" but if I do the mastery spell it shows "optimal", so I assume the mastery is the way to go, although it's still pretty slow. Too bad there isn't negative skill items like with magery.

Xris

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I'm up to around 108.5 now, you're right, it got even slower after 105. I tried casting WoD and the crystal ball shows "easy" but if I do the mastery spell it shows "optimal", so I assume the mastery is the way to go, although it's still pretty slow. Too bad there isn't negative skill items like with magery.
Yup I'm at 118.3 it's really slow. Most time I use SoA's to speed it up.