• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

the strangers, a prediction

Alvinho

Great Lakes Forever!
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*purely opinion and speculation in this comment*

With the strangers spawning where they have been, and the announcement of a epic change, lets first define Epic

ep·ic
–adjective Also, ep·i·cal. 1. noting or pertaining to a long poetic composition, usually centered upon a hero, in which a series of great achievements or events is narrated in elevated style: Homer's Iliad is an epic poem.
2. resembling or suggesting such poetry: an epic novel on the founding of the country.
3. heroic; majestic; impressively great: the epic events of the war.
4. of unusually great size or extent: a crime wave of epic proportions.
–noun 5. an epic poem.
6. epic poetry.
7. any composition resembling an epic.
8. something worthy to form the subject of an epic: The defense of the Alamo is an American epic.
9. (initial capital letter) Also called Old Ionic. the Greek dialect represented in the Iliad and the Odyssey, apparently Aeolic modified by Ionic.

With the definition out of the way, seeing the spawning of the strangers in very specific locations, I am lead to believe that the possibility of the epic change being that EA is going to put a stop to the nonsence of speed hackers, afk Trainers, and afk farmers on top of a few other things, includeing but not exclusive to looting. If the Epic event is involveing marking cheaters adn said programs then it is indeed a EPIC event to say the least.

this is just speculation and I welcome any other thoughts on this epic event

G

galefan2004

With the definition out of the way, seeing the spawning of the strangers in very specific locations, I am lead to believe that the possibility of the epic change being that EA is going to put a stop to the nonsence of speed hackers, afk Trainers, and afk farmers on top of a few other things, includeing but not exclusive to looting. If the Epic event is involveing marking cheaters adn said programs then it is indeed a EPIC event to say the least.
They are going to **** off over half of their veterans and make them leave the game? Yep sounds epic to me. Here is a hit...AFK skill trianers don't hurt the game. More people work skills AFK then don't. If you are one of the few that never has then enjoy your high horse, but if they stop AFK scripting of skills they better not be surprised when they start losing lots and lots of subscribers. This game has stupid skill systems. These systems encourage scripting because of their stupidity. If you want to stop scripting then change the systems. Don't start banning everyone AFK skill gaining. All that will do is hurt the game, and the players themselves will just move on. UO hasn't been the only or the top game in about 8 years.

Alvinho

Great Lakes Forever!
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Don't start banning everyone AFK skill gaining. All that will do is hurt the game, and the players themselves will just move on. UO hasn't been the only or the top game in about 8 years.
First off this Vet will be very happy, as will many others, if it is indeed true instead of being pissed off, Banning AFK skill gainers will casue a few to leave i agree to a extent, when the ones who leave they are chooseing to becasue they are cheating and cannot handle playing a game cheat free, but for the one that leaves 2 will return to a game that does not stand for cheaters, so yes A few will leave but it will double the ones returning for the simple fact that cheaters ruin a game.

Trying to bully anyone by saying they will quit because they can no longer cheat does not fly, dont let the door well you know the saying, good riddance if cheaters leave. Thanks for admitting whoever you are

G

galefan2004

First off this Vet will be very happy, as will many others, if it is indeed true instead of being pissed off, Banning AFK skill gainers will casue a few to leave i agree to a extent,
A few...are you delusional. A certain programs website has more subcribers then people that post on Stratics...I'm highly doubting that is a coincidence. Its not going to be a few...its going to be at least half of the servers population.

when the ones who leave they are chooseing to becasue they are cheating and cannot handle playing a game cheat free, but for the one that leaves 2 will return to a game that does not stand for cheaters, so yes A few will leave but it will double the ones returning for the simple fact that cheaters ruin a game.
You are again delusional. Most of those over the years that left used cheats too. This game has always flourished with cheaters in it because the cheaters pay money too. Change the systems or this game simply isn't player friendly until end game, and that is a problem with UO...cheating is not really the solution but it is a temporary band-aid that the development really doesn't have to do anything about.

Besides, the people that left this game moved on to other games that they are enjoying. They aren't coming back in most cases until they are tired of the new games, and then they are probably leaving again once the next best game comes out. Don't count on a returning player base, especially when the most vocal "I would return if..." is for a pre-R shard where cheaters prospered 10x more.

Trying to bully anyone by saying they will quit because they can no longer cheat does not fly, dont let the door well you know the saying, good riddance if cheaters leave. Thanks for admitting whoever you are
Ok...fine. All the cheaters leave. Then what? You going to enjoy playing this game when the vast majority of Luna vendors leave. How about when the entire population of Felucca leaves? How about when half of the population of Trammel leaves? Just because you don't script doesn't mean that there aren't more scripters than non-scripters, and unless this game becomes skill gain friendly over night (when you end cheats you better improve systems) which it probably won't a lot of players are going to walk to other games that are beyond player friendly.

Gildar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If EA had some mystical technique that they could use to get rid of cheats in UO, they wouldn't slow down it's introduction by precluding it with a plot.

They are utilizing parts of the event to test out a potential technique to make event rewards more fair... but that's it.

**edit:: When I originally made this post, I was under the impression Draconi had confirmed the loot style was an attempt for a way that low/non-damaging support could obtain loot. I mixed up posts, and was wrong. This doesn't mean it isn't an attempt at that, just that I do not know of any confirmation at this time.

Omnius

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
GGS and the siege skill gain systems made it time consuming and problematic to gain skills. in the old days you played your characters during their power hours and were done for the day after that unless you really wanted to gain faster(and you could). The current system makes skill gain require endless grind and hours of boredom. It's really sad that a game which requires skills to be at max for usefulness also made skills harder to gain and require vastly more time when some of its competitors thrive due to the speed at which one can reach end game.

phantus

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They are utilizing parts of the event to test out a potential technique to make event rewards more fair... but that's it.
I have to ask what gives you this impression. The current box and explosion technique is a step back of over 5 years. It's quite possibly one of the worse event spins they have done to date.

G

galefan2004

It's really sad that a game which requires skills to be at max for usefulness also made skills harder to gain and require vastly more time when some of its competitors thrive due to the speed at which one can reach end game.
In those other games you can actually gain through game play, and its actually fun. In UO, you gain by chasing animals around, beating on mobs many many times, or by clicking make last 5000 times. Thats not fun. I can't imagine this game without scripting for skills with the way it currently is. That is not to say that they can't improve it. The quests in Heartwood was a good start, they need to create more quests to gain skills with. Make 100 items for an npc and they reward you with 2.0 in a skill or something like that.

G

galefan2004

I have to ask what gives you this impression. The current box and explosion technique is a step back of over 5 years. It's quite possibly one of the worse event spins they have done to date.
Its more fair because now if you actually take part in the event you get a lesser chance at loot than someone that doesn't. Yup, that sounds fair to me.

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I have to agree with Phantus.

Direct backpack drops and instanced corpses are probably the best "drop systems" in terms of fairness that you're going to see.

Dropping stuff on the ground is just ASKING for trouble, and I ALWAYS hated the "roll system" of games like WoW and the Drama™ that special looting rules create.

Instanced corpses and direct backpack drops work just fine. Don't fix what isn't broken.

G

galefan2004

Dropping stuff on the ground is just ASKING for trouble, and I ALWAYS hated the "roll system" of games like WoW and the Drama™ that special looting rules create.
I like the roll system, and here is why...I think everyone should have a chance to get the item they have worked along side me to get. When they do get it, I am happy for them. I am in no way upset about it.

Also, most of the guilds I raided with in WoW used a council loot system where it was based off of many aspects (not just rolling and not just dkp) to decide who got the item. Most of the time, the person getting the item more than deserved the item, and most everyone was very happy for them.

My issues with loot in WoW were the RNG and the fact that everything was BOP. It really didn't encourage alts and if you got unlucky with the RNG you could go without a much needed upgrade for way to long.

J

jack flash

well i am currently "quit" but i must say i really feel the draw for the game

i took 9 months to get a good tamer, yes using the RAA (europa) library (bulls @90 skill nearly killed me) but i did it, i now have imo a great tamer mage

it took me at least 6 months to get jack flash the stealth ninja idoc raider

on and off 2 years for my chiv swordsman

thoses days i was not guilded and did my own thing (i did not know about uoassist or stratics or know who to ask for advise, i did it the long hard way, if you can call a game hard????)

i joined WoY and created an archer and within a few months i created a bush/chiv archer who is my fav char (most training was gained during the halloween magicia event after dark in fel getting a few hundered cursed artis)

now what is the point of this post????

i did it ALL manually, no script, AFK macro or any of that crap, just effort and i am pleased with my chars, i dont think there should be any luna golem crap allowed, i trained in the dungeons in fel, ran the gauntlet with reds but so be it, it was awesome too, just get the virtue blessed set and off u go,

so GOOD NEWS on the locations, sadly though the scripters are clever peeps and like the borg (LOL sorry could not resist) will adapt quickly

of course, as a code expert told me on the regular boards, a change of code every day will stop scripting forever as they will never be able to gain access

but like i said, the temptation to return grows evey day, and i know i can log in with a maestro card DAMN U EA ;)

of course this is just my opinion, no flames needed

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Everybody ALREADY DOES have the chance to get a given item via the direct drop. All it does is make each instance happen for each person SEPARATELY and internally instead of enticing people by showing them what is coming up first. From what I have seen and read, it reduces the Drama involved in spades.

That's the main reason why a system like ToT has been so popular. Not only did it encompass EVERY possible mob to get the special drops, but it also dealt with everyone individually.

I do agree though... Bind on Pickup for NON-quest items was a HORRIBLE idea.

G

galefan2004

i did it ALL manually, no script, AFK macro or any other that crap, just effort and i am pleased with my chars, i dont think there should be any luna golem crap allowed, i trianed in the dungeons in fel, ran the gauntlet with reds but so be it, it was awesome too, just get the virtue blessed set and off u go,
Good for you...you want some sort of a reward for your effort? You honestly think the average new player is going to want to take 9 months to finish one character in this day and age? I mean you have 6 characters...if you take 9 months to finish all of them thats 45 months. Thats 3 years and 9 months. Do you honestly think this game will be around in 3 years and 9 months? If you do, you are more optomisitic then most.

of course, as a code expert told me on the regular boards, a change of code every day will stop scripting forever as they will never be able to gain access
EA doesn't really want to stop scripters (unless they are extreme cases) or they would have by now. Scripters don't hurt EA's bottom line...they help it. They pay money to keep these servers up and running. EA knows this. I don't know why most players don't just realise this and shut up about it already. Yes, a few extreme cases need to be banned...gold farmers for example. I really don't care if someone is scripting resources if they aren't getting greedy with their prices. I will gladly buy iron ingots for 10gp per from a scripter if it means I can find them at 10gp per. If anyone actually wanted to play a miner anymore and gather ingots for sale then the price on some shards (where you can still find ingots) wouldn't be 45 gp per.

of course this is just my opinion, no flames needed
I'm not flaming. I would LOVE to see UO be scripter free. I'm just saying that before that happens they need to go out of their way to make gaining skills about 50% easier and remove the multiple skill clicks as a way to gain skills. Some skills need to be really worked on (taming comes to mind). There is something wrong when no one actively works the skill anymore and instead just gets GGS.

G

galefan2004

Everybody ALREADY DOES have the chance to get a given item via the direct drop. All it does is make each instance happen for each person SEPARATELY and internally instead of enticing people by showing them what is coming up first. From what I have seen and read, it reduces the Drama involved in spades.
Please be more specific and clarify what you are saying here. If you are talking about WoW...I raided for about 4 months without getting the weapon I needed. Yes, set pieces are guaranteed to drop, but in a lot of cases the set pieces are worse than the other gear that isn't guaranteed to drop. I know people that raided for a year without getting an item they needed because it never dropped, and I know people that simply walked into the dungeon the first time and got the item they needed. That was a horrible system, especially when they had such excellent point reward systems (badge rewards and pvp rewards) already worked into the game.

That's the main reason why a system like ToT has been so popular. Not only did it encompass EVERY possible mob to get the special drops, but it also dealt with everyone individually.

I do agree though... Bind on Pickup for NON-quest items was a HORRIBLE idea.
I LOVED the ToT. I still love the system. I still miss the system. I would love to see that system or a similar system activated again.

Yeah, BOP was a horrible concept. However, no one really complains about the WoW economy like they do in UO either, so it served a purpouse. I'm not complaining about that system, I'm just stating some drawbacks of it.

L

Llams Anit

I mean you have 6 characters...if you take 9 months to finish all of them thats 45 months. Thats 3 years and 9 months. Do you honestly think this game will be around in 3 years and 9 months?

9X6=???
Anyone??

J

jack flash

to galefan2004

nope i have my rewards, every time i log them in i rememeber what it took to get them there

you may be right about the length of time the game has left, i have given up thinking about that

i most cases scripters (ignoring idocs as they were) do not affect me, but occasinally when u come up against them, or see them at luna,heartwood etc it does make me angry, hence why i think this, according to what i read seems to be good, and long may it continue

Gildar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They're testing the technique. Trying it out. Seeing if it works.

It's better in that low-to-no damage support people get something tangible for their efforts. It's worse in that no-damage observers get something tangible for sitting back and waiting.

It's one of those things that until it's seen in action, it's hard to say if the good outweights the bad or not. So far, the suggestion has been that it does not.

**edit:: When I originally made this post, I was under the impression Draconi had confirmed the loot style was an attempt for a way that low/non-damaging support could obtain loot. I mixed up posts, and was wrong. This doesn't mean it isn't an attempt at that, just that I do not know of any confirmation at this time.

T

Trebr Drab

They're testing the technique. Trying it out. Seeing if it works.

It's better in that low-to-no damage support people get something tangible for their efforts. It's worse in that no-damage observers get something tangible for sitting back and waiting.

It's one of those things that until it's seen in action, it's hard to say if the good outweights the bad or not. So far, the suggestion has been that it does not.
Do you have this on any authority?

Gildar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Do you have this on any authority?
I could've sworn Draconi had said that, but in looking back to gather a source link I can't find him saying so. I may simply have mixed up one of his posts with a non-EA user's post.

X

XaeviusMenate

Good for you...you want some sort of a reward for your effort? You honestly think the average new player is going to want to take 9 months to finish one character in this day and age? I mean you have 6 characters...if you take 9 months to finish all of them thats 45 months. Thats 3 years and 9 months. Do you honestly think this game will be around in 3 years and 9 months? If you do, you are more optomisitic then most.
UO's lasted 10 years+, why can't it last another 3+ years and then some?

IMO, spring cleaning needs a ToT-style gump. Get rid of this click-things-to-death system.

Library could use one too.

And why don't the rewards have names in the gump? Do I have to guess at anything that's not visualized by some sort of picture?

Omnius

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
idocs were only an issue for scripting in trammel rulesets. felucca idocs go to those with a desire to split the loot as they see fit. if someone wants what you want, they give it or they get less.

M

Mankind

I can tell you this, those of you that used your illegal 3rd party program to not only turn in items rapidly, but also used it to cash in your points tickets, well, you've screwed yourself, you just don't know it yet. rolleyes:

Madrid

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can tell you this, those of you that used your illegal 3rd party program to not only turn in items rapidly, but also used it to cash in your points tickets, well, you've screwed yourself, you just don't know it yet. rolleyes:
You got to be kidding yourself...

It's not in EA's or UO's interest to start mass banning players that maybe be using illegal programs. You think they're going to spend all their time on programming and coding to catch scripters and diminish their source of revenue. I find that hard to swallow.

The idea that to 'catch a scripter' is somehow revolving around the current events is laughable. Now there maybe be new coding introduced making it not possible for script looters to be as successful as they once were as Draconi alluded to... that I can buy. But that their out to "catch a scripter' is a little far fetched.

What I think a majority of players who are anti-macro and anti-scripting fail to comprehend is that you can ban a scripter and he will be back up and running in a matter of 2 or 3 days. This people is the reality. There is no way to remove scripters from the game if that is their intent short of pulling the plug on the game.

You ban one he's back the next day under another account and different username.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
One would hope........ My thought was the system was checking ids for duped items that folk turn in ..... looking for those with massive stockpiles of duped items..... but maybe that's just me.

The trouble with AFK gaining in my opinion is you never get to really know your character.... I suppose if the end is all you care about and not the means then your only cheating yourself..... but the ages I spend actually working skills as intended allows me time to develop and really get the feel of my character.... I have bashed my share of golems...... I have whacked my pet with bushido skills..... but I gained nothing out of that..... Now ages ago I used to go into the dungeons and actually kill and loot things as measly as Earth Elementals...... which by the way give good gains..... I ran around Despise and allowed 20 lizardmen at a time to beat on me to gain healing and parry..... and I gathered up their gold and leathers while I was at it.... however back then I could spend a long time at it as I could easily send things to the bank without having to run off recall or sacred journey to the bank...... recall back run through the dungeon..... back to where I was hunting.... only to find someone else there now with the spot I was hunting in ..... so then stop spend 20 or 30 min looking for a new hunting spot.... only to get full after 20 min to run to the bank... come back.. find someone else in my spot....... etc etc.... I do very much miss my BoS...... useless piece of junk now never use it.... not worth it. Anymore I hardly even loot the gold... to heavy takes to much time.... And if I'm on some characters I can only hold 4k or less..... hardly worth that much trouble...

Anyway..... excuses aside.... I don't much care for the "new" way of drops... back to being nasty... what I do like is the ToT way of things where if you put enough time and effort in you do get a reward.... I like the change to doom as well..... again effort is rewarded over time........ Now cry me a river about folk who "can't" participate cause they don't do damage or can't as they are crafters whatever...... everyone has 5 character slots.. if they choose to create only working class crafters and not create a fighter that's their choice then they choose not to participate in events that involve fighting......

Also I'm rather confused by the whole events as far as the strangers go..... as I have been in many places and saw 2 of the strangers spawn in Luna.... and I"m told they spawn every 2 to 4 hours or so..... so after 6 hours the other day of running about LUna...... never saw anything..... 6 hours wasted in game in my opinion..... So do they keep spawning every 2 to 4 hours.. Or is it just that day they come out for 24 hours then it's done????? Or what?... Got to do the ninja one in Tokuno and then never saw that one again after that.... So I am at a loss..... Saw the one in heartwood lastnight for about 10 min...... took a couple cheap pot shots at it.... but besides a tamer was alone up there didn't think it was good to try in earnest to kill the thing... then it vanished..... just like that..... never saw it again.

Fizzleton

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
thing is: if you are a vet, you already know templates and how to play them. especially if you pvp a lot.
to be competitive at a champ spawn, you depend on a skill maxed char. since you most probably have all scrolls you need and also the gear, the only thing you need to get your char into business is - skillgain. 120 fencing, 120 archery, what so ever. There is simply a huge gap between the demands of a still exploring player, and one who knows the mechanics and only wants to get to business. EA should do something to fill this gap; I liked blackrock gaining very much, since it gave a fair possibility to bring skills up in a reasonable amount of time.

Lucy of Kenton

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Im another vet and i say ban them all. the person that said that if banned they would just start up again in 2-3 days.....good as that would increase the revenue.
I too have worked all my skills naturally and like Jack i shall pat myself on the back.
UO isnt meant to be a instant success game, if you want those get yourself a ps and look up the immortal cheat codes. And close the door when you leave and stick a wedge in the revolving door so it wont move.
There are still honest people in this game fortunately.
Ih and HI JACK you just know you wanna use that maestro card, its calling to you.

J

jack flash

Hi Lucy

lol STOP IT, i nearly logged them in the other night, tried to get gf to play, nearly got a player return AND a new acct :)

DAMN THAT VODKA i nearly caved in:lol:

Norrar

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Hi Lucy

lol STOP IT, i nearly logged them in the other night, tried to get gf to play, nearly got a player return AND a new acct :)

DAMN THAT VODKA i nearly caved in:lol:
drink more....alot more and come back (we need more honest players :( )