• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

The status of faction points since the last publish

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
First off, I understand, I think, why the recent changes to faction points were made. Faction gear was meant to be used by people who played factions, not by people who entered Felucca once to join a faction, then never set foot in it again, and used their great faction gear to solo Mel, or whatever. So I think the recent changes to faction point decay etc. as well as the reset, was meant to deal with those abuses. However, I think the exact opposite has happened. Right now, the only characters that can maintain enough faction points to wear faction gear, are those who aren't pvp'ing, and are being fed faction points by those who are.

Before the reset, I had no problem maintaining enough faction points to wear faction gear. I had enough for myself, and I could spare enough for others. However, since the last publish and the faction point reset, it has worked like this for me. I kill ten faction enemies, and I gain maybe a dozen points, if I'm lucky. Over that time I die maybe three or four times in faction battles, and lose anywhere from twenty to forty faction kill points. You do the math. I've had friends feed me dozens of points, but it doesn't matter. Even though I do generally get more kills than I die, I simply cannot maintain enough faction kill points to wear anything but the very lowest level faction gear.

Now I thought, ok, this is just me. I just have a bad habit of walking into a lot of ganks, so I just need to play smarter. But again, the math is completely against me, and I realized today, that this is happening to everyone that I know of, that is playing factions. I've had to completely rework my suit, so that I no longer require any faction gear, and when I gain points, I feed them to people who are still attempting to work with a suit that requires faction gear.

And my guess is that is what is happening throughout factions. Most have redesigned their suits so that they don't require faction gear, and when they get points, they immediately feed them to their pvm characters that they rarely, if ever, pvp with. They die and lose one point, meanwhile the poor schmucks who are attempting to use faction gear as it was intended die once, and lose ten to twenty points (this is based on Atlantic numbers). And to add to the injustice, those pvm characters that are not actually doing anything faction related, the "point holders", are keeping the level requirements for faction gear artificially high.

The last publish, while I believe it was well intentioned, has, in my opinion, accomplished exactly the opposite of what it was intended to accomplish.

T

Tm84

honestly... i think they are making it harder on faction people to get gear so we can't attack non-factions players with it on. So far it seems like they are destroying faction all together and just pushing people to pvm

Berethrain

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Initially the devs had it right, to reset the points to 0. But people whined and complained that it wouldn't be "fair". So they figure, ok so if we let them keep some of their points they'll be able to wear the gear so we'll just scale the points down. They didnt account for those with massive amounts of points, nor did they account for the botched decay system coupled with the inclusion of disregarding player base with 0 points. These led to where the point system is currently at. Since the patch I think they've realized the mistake and received a large amount of ridicule about it so they're going to repeat what they did after they tried to revamp the entire system 3 years ago and not say a word about it for another 3 years.

So if you plan to play factions, you may as well plan on making a suit out of something else other than faction gear, this is going to be the norm for a while most likely.

S

Shinshoba

Actually the decay system is slowly bringing down the caps.. For TB you initially needed almost 140 points to be rank ten....its down to about 110 points now. More and more of my guys are getting their gear back on as we go so it might work out long term. We will just have to see. Personally there are not alot of us playing factions on GL and the toons setting at Luna bank on faction horses with gear that never guard or raid...well I will be happy when they cant wear any gear or ride a faction mount.

Berethrain

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I suspect you're right, but with the faction point decay I wonder if any will have the chance to obtain the rank when the levels are down to par. What little I've been getting on I checked last night on my faction char and I was at 34 points and just turned the rank of defender. I may be exception to the rule but the decay hasnt been much of a problem for me so much as getting mopped up by opposing faction members.