• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

The State of Stratics: January 26, 2016

Elenni

Stratics Sr. Leadership team member
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Since the successful crowdfunding campaign and purchase of Stratics, the senior staff have been in near-constant motion. While it may not be immediately obvious, the behind-the-scenes efforts that have been underway are the necessary building blocks for anything and everything to come.
  • The most pressing news item that will immediately and directly impact Stratics users is that we have acquired TWO NEW (faster, bigger, better) SERVERS, which are now installed in a new secure data center to which we have physical access--check it out below! (Yup -- those are our ACTUAL servers -- primary and backup!)
  • The Primary server has been installed, configured, and optimized. A test migration of the Forums was performed using a snapshot of our current Forum database with all posts/content, and was tested this past weekend -- it works great (and boy is it FAST!) In addition, we've migrated the rest of the content from the old server, including uo.stratics.com, uo2.stratics.com, etc. (Thanks, @Oscar the Grouch -- you rock!)
  • The Backup server will be moved to a secondary data location in March.
Servers_LiveBottom-BackupAbove.png

We will therefore be making the transition to the new server on Thursday, January 28th at 9AM eastern. We anticipate a downtime of approximately 3 hours, during which we will take a final snapshot of the DB. The downtime allows for the file transfer and one last post-migration test, after which we will redirect the DNS and bring the new system live.
Please plan accordingly!

• Documentation & internal operating docs are still being updated. The Stratics Terms of Service has been updated to reflect the ownership change. (No other change has been made at this time.) The Stratics Rules of Conduct are being closely reviewed. While we do not anticipate major changes in the spirit of the RoC, we are going over it very carefully to clarify and elaborate upon previously ambiguous or contentious points.
  • We are in the process of recruiting and interviewing new candidates for various Stratics staff positions. Do you want to help? Do you have an interest in reporting, moderating, content creation/migration, or perhaps see a gap or opportunity for Stratics elsewhere? Put in an application! We are in particular need of a person or people to manage Stratics social media and people with CSS and/or PHP skills.
  • The mugs and t-shirts for the campaign perks have arrived, and are beginning to be packaged for shipment. As you can see, several packages have been assembled, but there are several more to go. The extra 'secret' perk item for $1000+ donors has not yet arrived, so only mug and t-shirt packages have been packed so far. We'll begin shipping these within the next couple of days, and if you are entitled to a physical perk we will email or PM you when your perk package has shipped.
Perks.jpg

• On the business front: the LLC that will hold Stratics, Gamer's Gambit, LLC., has been formed. The primary operational document has been drafted and is under review before being approved and signed by the board members.
  • The software inventory has been completed. Additionally, thanks to donated and transferring licenses, we were able to reduce our expected software licensing/transfer fees estimate by approximately $700!

As you can see, there is still quite a bit in motion--and we hope that when the server migration is completed and the business items are settled that we can dig into the more visible aspects of the site that many of you have been asking about.

As always, thank you for being part of the Stratics community!

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Great news, well done.
I know DNS are very slow to update so would be possible to get the link to the side with the new IP address as it else may take a day or more for some of us to get the side up running again after the move, special when in Denmark like I am.

Elenni

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Great news, well done.
I know DNS are very slow to update so would be possible to get the link to the side with the new IP address as it else may take a day or more for some of us to get the side up running again after the move, special when in Denmark like I am.
Thanks for the point, @FrejaSP. I will ask @Oscar the Grouch if that is something we can do.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I want a cup!
Well those cups were for people who gave $150 or more during the Indiegogo Campagin, and considering the amount for the perk, we'd rather these specific one's be rather exclusive for now. Now if we have enough interest, we'd consider opening a storefront for Stratics branded items.

So what would people be interested in seeing?

Oscar the Grouch

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
Great news, well done.
Hi Freja,

I have good news for you, the IP address that you access will not change! That is one of the benefits of using ClouldFlare. So you will not need to worry about DNS updates taking affect to access Stratics. I will point ClouldFlare to the new server when the migration is complete and that connection method is all IP to IP and doesn't wait for a DNS update! However, if you have trouble connecting after the migration you can e-mail me at [email protected] and I will work with you. Our MX records are not affected so e-mail will not be an issue.

~Oscar

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Thanks Oscar, that sounds great.
Not being able to access Stratics feels like standing outside you front door and the key won't work, nasty, I have tried it a few times in the past, so I'm very happy, I will be safe this time :)

Medallia

Adventurer
Well those cups were for people who gave $150 or more during the Indiegogo Campagin, and considering the amount for the perk, we'd rather these specific one's be rather exclusive for now. Now if we have enough interest, we'd consider opening a storefront for Stratics branded items.

So what would people be interested in seeing?
1. Coffee Mugs
2. Mouse pads
3. woman's tank top
4. tee-shirt
5. key chains

Just some rough ideas, things I would consider purchasing :cheerleader:

Elenni

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
I've been waiting for my stratics staff t-shirt for 2 years now?
Not sure we have any control over that, Vince; we didn't own the site two years ago, so we wouldn't have access to anything that might have been offered or given away back then. The T-Shirts referred to in the OP were purchased by the current staff as perks for the crowd sourcing campaign to buy the site and turn it back into a community project.

Personally I'm looking forward to ordering a mouse pad and maybe a tank top and keychain if we go with some of the ideas mentioned above. :)

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
I've been waiting for my stratics staff t-shirt for 2 years now?
We designed them and paid a company to make them. The company fell through and the money was gone. The shirt design is still available if you want to print it yourself.

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Mugs would be great. Oh hey, BTW: Is the "alumni" badge restricted to UO Stratics volunteers? Gave quite some of my time for the AO, DaOC and SWG chapters. Long time ago :)
I sent you a PM. Alumni status is NOT restricted to UO volunteers, but the records are sketchy. Anyone who is missing an alumni tag can PM me to discuss it. Thanks!