• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

The Sims 4 to be Online?

M

Monkeybear

Saw this on a sims fansite:

Well according to a new update from O Sim Louco, who apparently contacted someone – said that The Sims 4 is going to be designed on the (play online) basis of Second Life and/or The Sims Online (EA Land). Although this seems very likely, it could see the end of The Sims era, or possibly the start of a new Generation of gaming! What one must remeber about games of this nature, is that not everyone can afford the online costs involved in purchasing a membership. Some games such as World of Warcraft are quite pricey, but giving such a big user base, it is surprising they have maintained popularity of the years! Then taking another look at games like Cities XL, which is about 6 months old, never took off, because of costs and the products overall appeal.

In the end, this simply boils down to development, marketing and response from the community – giving EA’s experience of EA Land, I personally do not see them heading towards an online platform again, but then again – my assumptions may too be wrong!

Only time will tell! Also don’t expect an official announcement of The Sims 4 for at least another 4 years!
Only time will tell if it's true....

A

ajdown@jp

EA are only set up to do "write, box, sell, forget" games, where their idea of updates is the 2010 version is the 2009 version with a new box and a different team data file on the CD.

I hope that they have learnt from their mistakes of TSO, which are mostly geared around their inability to handle a live, active, changing community which requires updates (like WoW and other successful games), as well as the failure to release it worldwide as originally promised.

I'm not holding my breath though. As much as I enjoyed TSO, I decided never to waste my money on another EA product ever again . An Online Sims game may be sufficient to make me change my mind but it'll have to be very, very good with proper worldwide support.

E

Edward G Spankins

I think there may be a strong chance that this will happen, but there are just a few things I would love for them to change when it comes to marketing this game.

First, their primary marketing focus should be on "Sim genre" players, especially those who are enjoying the current Sims Franchise, but also constantly advertise throughout all EA - owned games. EA is by far a large enough company in which they can advertise the hell out of this game. Second, they open the platform to those who have Apple computers. By ignoring them, right off the bat isolating a portion of possible subscribers. Third, they cannot and should not try to rip of Second Life. People want to play games for originality, and not for tacky rip offs with a few different aspects.

Also a few other things I'd expect them to do.

Learn from their past mistakes with TSO. Develop a 10-year plan in which constant updates and expansions will be issued out. Simoleans should be harder to obtain, but not impossible. Also, the fact that you don't have a surplus of money shouldn't hinder you from any "aspects" of the game someone who has tons of Simoleans have. And last, custom content should be a big part of this game. People enjoy expressing their creativity, and we should have the tools necessary to be capable of doing so.

/end rant

I can only hope they create a new Sims Online.

Rieley

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sad, our posting responses are getting longer apart as the time goes by. I can't find it online.

Dont you think the last year the DEV team did wonders? It all comes down to EA choosing Warhammer over us. As for advertising, not sure where that is a problem. Remember when they did the simple email advertising? Gawds we had so many return. Houses were maxed.

Even though we're all spread out and some may even have found a new home, there are plenty of sites letting EA know we want the game back. So there is still hope, if EA would just sell. Are all the mods gone too now?

Willow

The Sims 3 for Console - EA Games

Looks to be online! I'm surprised no one here has given the rest of us a review as of yet. Looks entertaining, but with the huge let down of TSO, I'm reluctant to give it a try.