• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

The Real Problem With PvP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lorax_Pacific

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The real problem with PvP is that it just isn't fun. The consumables argument have nothing to do with it.

Yew gate ganking, Factions, Champs spawn battles just don't do it for me. Ganking and Chest thumping just doesn't interest me. There is just too much imbalance and cheating to make it worth the effort. The old Guild Wars and even the early Chaos-Order Wars were fun. It took cooperative effort, and working with others made it interesting. It's going to take a whole new re-think to make it work for more than just a small portion of the UO population.
I almost agree with this. I don't think pots and consumables have anything to do with the real problem with pvp and disagree with the OP. I have no idea if anyone cheats as I haven't really been active in pvp since the pvp guild I was in broke up. I really like champ spawns, but I did that when ghosting was allowed and it was not easy. I'm down to about 50 PS's though and sometimes I get the urge, but don't have the alliance connections anymore.

I am more along the lines it doesn't have a goal and there is no community associated with it as before trammel. The msot meaningful goal is guarding a champ spawn, but if there were more goals then it could be fun again. If we had villians and heroes...

I really want to get up my cannon resources and try boat pvp to see if that would be fun...to own the seas 'tis the life.

-Lorax

Ls Jax Ls

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't think pots and consumables have anything to do with the real problem with pvp and disagree with the OP.
Let me clarify since nobody seems to understand what I mean. By "problem" I am talking about balancing PvP, not reviving PvP. These are two completely different ideas...of course adjusting consumables are not going to make more people PvP or give them a reason to, but it will without a doubt make PvP much more enjoyable and allow me to play more than one possible mage template...

C

copycon

Let me clarify since nobody seems to understand what I mean. By "problem" I am talking about balancing PvP, not reviving PvP. These are two completely different ideas...of course adjusting consumables are not going to make more people PvP or give them a reason to, but it will without a doubt make PvP much more enjoyable and allow me to play more than one possible mage template...
I am failing to see what consumables have to do with the template used to PvP?

This may just be my own ignorance, but the specific argument you seem to be making seems to be towards a cure potion timer. That is not viable for many reasons in my opinion. If cure potions had a timer, the poison spell and poisoned weapons would be extremely overpowered and would unbalance PvP even further.

As I said though, this may just be my own misunderstanding of what PvP is today. Obviously my previous arguments have shown that I disagree with the entire premise in it's current form, not only a single element such as a timer on a cure potion.

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
balance? I ask you for a fight on shards where we BOTH have even pings and you refused...how can you honestly say you care anything about balance? I say leave things in game that allow more people to play on a level playing field. Key word should be *field*...

BTW...if you want a duel, then duel...otherwise it is everything goes...

puni666

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am failing to see what consumables have to do with the template used to PvP?

This may just be my own ignorance, but the specific argument you seem to be making seems to be towards a cure potion timer. That is not viable for many reasons in my opinion. If cure potions had a timer, the poison spell and poisoned weapons would be extremely overpowered and would unbalance PvP even further.

As I said though, this may just be my own misunderstanding of what PvP is today. Obviously my previous arguments have shown that I disagree with the entire premise in it's current form, not only a single element such as a timer on a cure potion.
You're not alone in trying to see just wtf he's talking about.

puni666

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I really don't get the argument. EVERYONE has access to these tools and can use them in whatever way they choose. Why are they helping everyone else more than they help Ls Jax Ls in pvp?

W

Wojoe

I really don't get the argument. EVERYONE has access to these tools and can use them in whatever way they choose. Why are they helping everyone else more than they help Ls Jax Ls in pvp?
I have to agree, pots are not the problem with pvp. The problem is well besides mystic gimplets lol is the spamming of special moves and grossley overpowere mods on weapons.

A

A Bad Player

You complained about aspects of mysticism right? You have access to it so it shouldn't be changed. Thats what you're saying about pots anyway. Don't pick and choose where you apply things.

puni666

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You complained about aspects of mysticism right? You have access to it so it shouldn't be changed. Thats what you're saying about pots anyway. Don't pick and choose where you apply things.
You're not getting the point. ANY TEMPLATE has access to consumable items. The only template that has access to mysticism ability's is a MYSTIC.

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
He runs around with a healing stone...which not only heals for more than a heal pot when fully charged but also cures poison. He then expects no backpack fights. Do you see where his thought process goes from here?

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So you think it's fair that you could be DP'd every 1.25 seconds+a Fire ball hit and you can only freely cure it every 10 seconds? I think not. But if you could heal through poison so that it didn't act like a curable mortal strike and only as a DoT then I could see adding a greater timer for cures. It would pretty much become the mages version of the bleed special move.
Last time i checked you can heal through poison... with a bandage. Or go to dog form. Or use confidence. If you dont have that stuff than youll have to use greater cure or cleanse by fire. Oh No!

Anyone who ever had a poisoner knows that you cant just spam it. If a player gets poisoned he just runs away. So you have to use it only to save yourself from an attack, or as an unpleasant little shtick to finish someone off. Or, tho nox mages are pretty much non existent now, to let a dexter know that if he attacked you he was going to spasm. Thats the main reason i used it on mine, to keep the dexters away without having to use alot of dci.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Last time i checked you can heal through poison... with a bandage. Or go to dog form. Or use confidence. If you dont have that stuff than youll have to use greater cure or cleanse by fire. Oh No!
Bandages heal through poison? Thought they either cured it or failed to cure it.

Ls Jax Ls

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If cure potions had a timer, the poison spell and poisoned weapons would be extremely overpowered and would unbalance PvP even further.
The poison spell would be overpowered? Seriously? Ever heard of magic resist? Oh ya nobody runs magic resist because they have POTS. Did you know chivalry is a skill too? Ever hear of cleanse by fire? Probably not because people have POTS. This is what I'm talking about. Regardless of what anyone says, mage PvP is based on the ability to keep your opponent poisoned. If cure pots were removed/had a reasonable timer, you could play a pure mage and dominate other mages in the field if you're good. Currently, your opponent has to be brain dead to die against a pure mage as long as they have pots.

Yes, DP on poison weapons got annoying prior to cure pots. I'm sure the strangle/dp/bleed template would come crawling out of the closet again. But, I highly doubt they are actually going to REMOVE cure pots entirely, so if they had a timer this would not matter. If they were to remove pots, they would need to address DP on weapons.

He runs around with a healing stone...which not only heals for more than a heal pot when fully charged but also cures poison. He then expects no backpack fights. Do you see where his thought process goes from here?
Boy, for being so much better than me you sure do feel a need to find anyway to put me down. I don't care if you think you're better restroom, it's a game get over it.

C

copycon

The poison spell would be overpowered? Seriously? Ever heard of magic resist? Oh ya nobody runs magic resist because they have POTS. Did you know chivalry is a skill too? Ever hear of cleanse by fire? Probably not because people have POTS. This is what I'm talking about. Regardless of what anyone says, mage PvP is based on the ability to keep your opponent poisoned. If cure pots were removed/had a reasonable timer, you could play a pure mage and dominate other mages in the field if you're good. Currently, your opponent has to be brain dead to die against a pure mage as long as they have pots.
Obviously you missed the point of what I said. The poison spell and poisoned weapons would be overpowered if cure potions had a timer because poison does damage progressively. This means that by the time the poison is cured, the poison will have already done a considerable amount of damage while preventing that player from healing themselves during the process.

Magic Resistance doesn't guarantee that you will not get poisoned under any circumstances or even resist any spell with any consistency for that matter. I'm unsure of what the actual math is, but it would be fairly easy to keep a player poisoned through an entire fight and there wouldn't be much that player could do about it. A PvP fight could be won or lost simply by casting poison or poisoning your opponent with a poisoned weapon repeatedly.

I don't know about the other suggestions you made, but the cure spell is not a suitable alternative because not only does that assume that you will not be interrupted by melee or another spell or the poison damage itself, but the time it would take to cast cure and heal would mean instant death if someone dumped on you at that moment.

So no, your argument still does not make sense.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Why not just nerf UO and be done with it. OMG you know you can make the same template too. OP just POed because someone has a better template then him and knows more about UO and what works best.

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why not just nerf UO and be done with it. OMG you know you can make the same template too. OP just POed because someone has a better template then him and knows more about UO and what works best.
Actually he is just miffed that he got his butt kicked by someone using the same template. Go read the OPs other threads...and you will see they just gradually regressed to this turd.

Ls Jax Ls

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Obviously you missed the point of what I said. The poison spell and poisoned weapons would be overpowered if cure potions had a timer because poison does damage progressively. This means that by the time the poison is cured, the poison will have already done a considerable amount of damage while preventing that player from healing themselves during the process.

Magic Resistance doesn't guarantee that you will not get poisoned under any circumstances or even resist any spell with any consistency for that matter. I'm unsure of what the actual math is, but it would be fairly easy to keep a player poisoned through an entire fight and there wouldn't be much that player could do about it. A PvP fight could be won or lost simply by casting poison or poisoning your opponent with a poisoned weapon repeatedly.

I don't know about the other suggestions you made, but the cure spell is not a suitable alternative because not only does that assume that you will not be interrupted by melee or another spell or the poison damage itself, but the time it would take to cast cure and heal would mean instant death if someone dumped on you at that moment.

So no, your argument still does not make sense.
Everything you said just proves that you are absolutely clueless about mage PvP, or PvP in general for that matter. Let me teach you about something known as a "cycle". Mage cycles are a carefully timed sequence of spells following a successful poison that are meant to keep your opponent poisoned, unable to heal. This is mostly found in duels today due to pots, but without pots the same concept is true in the field.

According to UO guide, cure has a casting delay of .75s, which I'm assuming does not account for faster casting. This means that with 2/6, a cure takes .25s to cast. You are worried about the amount of damage you'll take from being poisoned that ticks every 2s or so? Poison is not meant to do damage, it is meant as a way to keep your opponent from healing. Mage cycles are extremely difficult to perform since cure/mini heal are typically much faster than any offensive spell. This is the basis of skill in today's Mage PvP.

Hitting one macro to cure yourself without fail, every time, takes no amount of skill no matter how you try to spin it.

G

Gandie

Pub 15 without gold-valorite faction weapons, would be the most balanced era for me.

However people destroyed the PvP in UO with cheating and massive usage of gimp templates. The win at all cost mentality is what destroys pvp in most MMOs.

C

copycon

Everything you said just proves that you are absolutely clueless about mage PvP, or PvP in general for that matter. Let me teach you about something known as a "cycle". Mage cycles are a carefully timed sequence of spells following a successful poison that are meant to keep your opponent poisoned, unable to heal. This is mostly found in duels today due to pots, but without pots the same concept is true in the field.

According to UO guide, cure has a casting delay of .75s, which I'm assuming does not account for faster casting. This means that with 2/6, a cure takes .25s to cast. You are worried about the amount of damage you'll take from being poisoned that ticks every 2s or so? Poison is not meant to do damage, it is meant as a way to keep your opponent from healing. Mage cycles are extremely difficult to perform since cure/mini heal are typically much faster than any offensive spell. This is the basis of skill in today's Mage PvP.

Hitting one macro to cure yourself without fail, every time, takes no amount of skill no matter how you try to spin it.
Once again, you are ignoring the point that I'm trying to make and responding with nonsense.

You can call it whatever buzz word you like. The fact of the matter is that poison would be heavily favored as a means to gain a greater advantage in PvP if an opponent had to stop and cure themselves through means other than a cure potion, especially in the case that one of the players involved was not a mage. This would cause further imbalance.

I'm not arguing that you know more about PvP than I do because it is true. I haven't played EA's UO in years, but I still know a stupid idea when I see it.

Devs have absolutely no clue of what needs to be done in this game. They don't play it, and the only thing they do know is how the code is written. They simply don't care.
I find that hilarious though. Thanks for the laugh. :)

B

Babble

And I would have thought that the real problem with pvp is that 90% do not participate in it?

On a developers point I would rather have people survive things when they come equipped than nerf it.

And no, I do not pvp.
:p

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
All this thread say's is if your not a pure mage in PvP you have no idea about anything.
Can someone PM Jax and let him know that it is 2010 and Stygian Abyss was released? If he wants to play an outdated template then he needs to expect to be outgunned.

S

Sunchicken

I see whats being said.
I dont think all consumables should be removed, but i dont think they should not be able to replace skill either. Trap crates i feel should do random damage anywhere up to say 30 hps. I think appels, heal pots, and refreshes should have the chance to fail or be more random so they couldnt be relied on 100% I Dont even wanna start with smoke bombs

Dont get me wrong i like easy mode uo everynow and again. When i feel the urge i can go into my char selection and be just as gimp as the next person...

Ls Jax Ls

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Can someone PM Jax and let him know that it is 2010 and Stygian Abyss was released? If he wants to play an outdated template then he needs to expect to be outgunned.
Oh, right, my bad for wanting to PvP with something other than magic arrow, nether bolt, and spell plague.

puni666

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Last time i checked you can heal through poison... with a bandage.
Umm no. You can cure the poison, but that completely voids any healing benefit there after. You'd have to reapply a bandage then hopefully not get poisoned again to heal hit points.

Elric_Soban

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Pots/Consumables have been slowly destroying PvP for years now.
LMAO

Pots have been in PvP for longer than you have, by the sounds of it. They aren't the problem.

The problem is AoS, which removed skill as a factor in PvP, replacing it with items. Pots pre-date AoS by many, MANY years.

Theres a simple formula to ensure your success in PvP. Here it is:

1) Spend more on your suit.
2) Still getting owned? Go back to step 1.

Easy!

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
...skill isn't removed from PvP. It just made us more reliant on items, particularly armor. You get a player who has no experience in pvp whatsoever with the best armor and weapons available for their class and put them in the middle of PvP, they will still get slaughtered.

Items mean nothing if you don't know how to pvp.

puni666

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
...skill isn't removed from PvP. It just made us more reliant on items, particularly armor. You get a player who has no experience in pvp whatsoever with the best armor and weapons available for their class and put them in the middle of PvP, they will still get slaughtered.

Items mean nothing if you don't know how to pvp.
This ^^.

Elric_Soban

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Disagree. Click and follow is not a skill, but it sure racks up alot of kills with the right gear.

Basic mouse competence + dexxer = pvp kills. plain and simple.

As for mages... uber mana regen + lmc + DCI takes alot of the thinking out of mage combat, since mana management simply isn't a concern anymore.

V

Vaelix

Disagree. Click and follow is not a skill, but it sure racks up alot of kills with the right gear.

Basic mouse competence + dexxer = pvp kills. plain and simple.

As for mages... uber mana regen + lmc + DCI takes alot of the thinking out of mage combat, since mana management simply isn't a concern anymore.
Yeah my gear chooses what spells to cast and the Perfect timing to Target them also..

Srsly..?

H

Heartseeker

Yeah my gear chooses what spells to cast and the Perfect timing to Target them also..

Srsly..?
You're quite funny.

You don't even need a weapon skill anymore and still have max in weapon skill. Go figure.

-20 mage weapon + crystalline ring gives you 120 lol

You actually had to chose which spells to cast because you would run out of mana, unlike now where you can cast as much as you want in the right equipment.

Timing lol. Not important since you can chug, eat apples,berries petals, pies and god knows what else.

pvp is a joke now and is only for the rich.

And before you throw in imbuing, realize that you still need ingredients and lot of pof to make decent armor.

If pvp was skilled based now instead of item based you would see more people in Fel. Considering I play on Atlantic there is hardly a soul in Fel.

V

Vaelix

You're quite funny.

You don't even need a weapon skill anymore and still have max in weapon skill. Go figure.

-20 mage weapon + crystalline ring gives you 120 lol

You actually had to chose which spells to cast because you would run out of mana, unlike now where you can cast as much as you want in the right equipment.

Timing lol. Not important since you can chug, eat apples,berries petals, pies and god knows what else.

pvp is a joke now and is only for the rich.

And before you throw in imbuing, realize that you still need ingredients and lot of pof to make decent armor.

If pvp was skilled based now instead of item based you would see more people in Fel. Considering I play on Atlantic there is hardly a soul in Fel.
First.. A Mage Temp Without -Mage/+Mage Setup (Sacrificing 120 Skill) Is going to be So starved of Offensive ability, its not going to be viable in todays PvP (Outside of Mystic)

Second.. An Endless Mana Pool means *NOTHING* if you are an incompetent player and lack potential in PvP, you will still get annihilated by a skilled player, Having endless mana does nothing for you if you arn't skilled enough to make use of it.

Third.. Timing is still *Everything* for 'Offensive' Magery Casting, Items or not, a Mage who is bad with Offensive Timing will get no Where in pvp.

Everyone seems to think that UO Being an Item based Game is a Good Example of why PvP Is "Skillless" now a days..

Please Explain this to me.. If your Suit Mirrors your Opponents Suit, How it is that the outcome of the fight is based on The Gear and Not the Skill.. Considering you are Exactly Matched as far as Stats/Items go.

H

Heartseeker

First.. A Mage Temp Without -Mage/+Mage Setup (Sacrificing 120 Skill) Is going to be So starved of Offensive ability, its not going to be viable in todays PvP (Outside of Mystic)

Second.. An Endless Mana Pool means *NOTHING* if you are an incompetent player and lack potential in PvP, you will still get annihilated by a skilled player, Having endless mana does nothing for you if you arn't skilled enough to make use of it.

Third.. Timing is still *Everything* for 'Offensive' Magery Casting, Items or not, a Mage who is bad with Offensive Timing will get no Where in pvp.

Everyone seems to think that UO Being an Item based Game is a Good Example of why PvP Is "Skillless" now a days..

Please Explain this to me.. If your Suit Mirrors your Opponents Suit, How it is that the outcome of the fight is based on The Gear and Not the Skill.. Considering you are Exactly Matched as far as Stats/Items go.
From personal experience, I find ping to be the biggest factor, more so than skill.

Clicking 5 or 6 buttons, like most dexers do isn't skill either.

Playing mage takes more skill, but there is to many other factors to call is real skill.

It's like playing poker, and then playing poker with wild cards.

V

Vaelix

Clicking 5 or 6 buttons, like most dexers do isn't skill either.

As opposed to Pre-Aos days where dexxers didnt even have to Toggle Specials, Ah the Skillful days, Not even hitting weapon macros.

Vs.

Todays "Skillless" Dexxers who run with 3/X Weapons (6/X Specials) And 1/X of the "Dexxer backup Casting" Skills.. Bush, Ninja, Ect (And all the Possible Macros that come with those skills)

H

Heartseeker

As opposed to Pre-Aos days where dexxers didnt even have to Toggle Specials, Ah the Skillful days, Not even hitting weapon macros.

Vs.

Todays "Skillless" Dexxers who run with 3/X Weapons (6/X Specials) And 1/X of the "Dexxer backup Casting" Skills.. Bush, Ninja, Ect (And all the Possible Macros that come with those skills)
Well if you really want to get into it then ok.

So I guess it makes more sense now to run around in leather and take less damage than I do in plate?

Or how about lrc?

Regs magically appearing out of thin air so you can cast forever.

Besides what is the point in pvp when there is insurance?

People are called Trammies now because they don't go to Fel to risk anything.

What risk is there now in Fel when everything is insurable?

Lastly even if there is many choices of skills or specials to pick from why is it that many only pick a few?

Tamers only use one "all kill"......Dexers click on opponent and follow.

At least before people actually got fatigued, unlike now where people run forever.

ps. you didn't address my ping point.

V

Vaelix

Well if you really want to get into it then ok.

So I guess it makes more sense now to run around in leather and take less damage than I do in plate?

Or how about lrc?

Regs magically appearing out of thin air so you can cast forever.

Besides what is the point in pvp when there is insurance?

People are called Trammies now because they don't go to Fel to risk anything.

What risk is there now in Fel when everything is insurable?

Lastly even if there is many choices of skills or specials to pick from why is it that many only pick a few?

Tamers only use one "all kill"......Dexers click on opponent and follow.

At least before people actually got fatigued, unlike now where people run forever.

ps. you didn't address my ping point.
I didnt address your "Ping Point" because there is not validity behind it.

I Play Siege Perilous, I live West Coast, the Server is a Virginia Based Server, I Ping 100 Average and can Field Fight Just fine against every other player on that shard, Even my Guildie who pings 3...

Yes, Ping will always be a huge impact on how well you preform, but that is true for ANY Game, so *IMO* Is is a "Silent Understood" and we dont use it as an example of Why or Why not we Suck.

All all of your Posts about the "Logic" and "Realism" not syncing up..

This is a Video Game, one of the biggest reasons people involve themselves in Games is because it transcends reality and your actions can defy logic.. How can this honestly be used as an example of Why something is or Isnt Broken?

HD2300

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The Real Problem with PvP is that there is a winner and a loser.

Because UO is Pay to Play, people who consistently lose will leave. No one is going keep paying money to be someone else's whipping boy. It is sheep and wolves. The sheep leave, and then 1/2 of the existing wolves become the sheep. This cycle repeats itself and there are fewer and fewer PvPers, because there are no new sheep to replace the sheep that leave. That is the problem.

Ls Jax Ls

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The Real Problem with PvP is that there is a winner and a loser.

Because UO is Pay to Play, people who consistently lose will leave. No one is going keep paying money to be someone else's whipping boy. It is sheep and wolves. The sheep leave, and then 1/2 of the existing wolves become the sheep. This cycle repeats itself and there are fewer and fewer PvPers, because there are no new sheep to replace the sheep that leave. That is the problem.
This is a bad analogy. In UO, everyone starts on an even playing field, meaning everyone has the same potential to become better. Sheep and wolves are two completely different creatures, giving the wolf a natural advantage. Again, the point of this thread was to discuss balance in PvP, NOT the number of people who take part in it.

puni666

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is a bad analogy. In UO, everyone starts on an even playing field, meaning everyone has the same potential to become better. Sheep and wolves are two completely different creatures, giving the wolf a natural advantage. Again, the point of this thread was to discuss balance in PvP, NOT the number of people who take part in it.
So what you're saying is if you take a group of people. Give them all these consumable items. Everyone will benefit from them more then you right? Seems like you're on the bottom end of the learning curve, and the balance you think EVERYONE needs is just that you need to learn wtf you're doing like everyone else did a long time ago when these items started being used.

Ls Jax Ls

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So what you're saying is if you take a group of people. Give them all these consumable items. Everyone will benefit from them more then you right? Seems like you're on the bottom end of the learning curve, and the balance you think EVERYONE needs is just that you need to learn wtf you're doing like everyone else did a long time ago when these items started being used.
What I'm saying is, consumables take skill out of the game. For example, I know you despise the current state of mysticism as much as I do. If cure pots were not in UO, it wouldn't matter how overpowered mysticism is because a skilled mage could beat them. One poison in-between magic arrow nether bolt spam forces them to go on defense. This is the whole point of the poison spell! By letting people sit there with 100 cure pots in their backpack and never having to actually cure, suddenly the template is better than the person playing it. For the third time, I have no idea why cure pots do not have a timer.

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What I'm saying is, consumables take skill out of the game. For example, I know you despise the current state of mysticism as much as I do. If cure pots were not in UO, it wouldn't matter how overpowered mysticism is because a skilled mage could beat them. One poison in-between magic arrow nether bolt spam forces them to go on defense. This is the whole point of the poison spell! By letting people sit there with 100 cure pots in their backpack and never having to actually cure, suddenly the template is better than the person playing it. For the third time, I have no idea why cure pots do not have a timer.
hate to break it to ya...but ping overrides skill. without a good ping in this game, good luck killing much of anyone...even if you are a good player.

if this were not true, you would be playing other shards...aside from just the ones you ping 7 to.

hell, I would even offer to pay for one of your transfers to fight me on a shard where we are even ping...then I will go no pots. im guessing you would once again refuse.

regardless of your reply, potions level the playing field for those who LIKE to pvp but don't have the ping for it. i have no issues killing people pinging 100, i dont see why then you have an issue with pots. with a 7 ping I would pwn everyone, and would have no need for blindcasting...target query...or pots.

just sayin...

Ls Jax Ls

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
hate to break it to ya...but ping overrides skill. without a good ping in this game, good luck killing much of anyone...even if you are a good player.

if this were not true, you would be playing other shards...aside from just the ones you ping 7 to.

hell, I would even offer to pay for one of your transfers to fight me on a shard where we are even ping...then I will go no pots. im guessing you would once again refuse.

regardless of your reply, potions level the playing field for those who LIKE to pvp but don't have the ping for it. i have no issues killing people pinging 100, i dont see why then you have an issue with pots. with a 7 ping I would pwn everyone, and would have no need for blindcasting...target query...or pots.

just sayin...
Never in my life have I heard someone cry so much about ping. The reason there are different servers is because people ping differently. If you ping bad on a shard DON'T PLAY IT. Nobody forced you to play a shard you ping bad to. I also told you I don't know how many times I ping 7 on one connection, 35-40 on the other. I perform the same regardless. Sounds like someone is still sore because I made them look ridiculous without pots. :sad2:

V

Vaelix

just sayin...
I didnt address your "Ping Point" because there is not validity behind it.

I Play Siege Perilous, I live West Coast, the Server is a Virginia Based Server, I Ping 100 Average and can Field Fight Just fine against every other player on that shard, Even my Guildie who pings 3...

Yes, Ping will always be a huge impact on how well you preform, but that is true for ANY Game, so *IMO* Is is a "Silent Understood" and we dont use it as an example of Why or Why not we Suck.
:stir:

Dakkon Blackblade

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The only thing I agree with primarily is that cure potions at least need a timer equal to heal potions, looking at the info available it doesn't seem to be the case, but I think any consumable should have a timer to prevent spam consumption and it makes you think tactically about how to use your items instead of spam whatever macro key over and over anytime something bad happens.

I think PvP in modern UO would be a lot more versatile if more templates were useable, now pardon me because I currently don't play, but my understanding is that mysticism is currently ruling everyone in pvp, if that's so then it's a sad thing.

But then again there are a few tweaks that could be made to bring all the classes more in line and make more options viable, ultimately if there are more than two effective templates the game would be a lot more interesting.

When you mention skill for example I think there are some item properties that are absurd, LRC and the one that says you don't need skill in weapons. But isn't it moot also if people are running around with soul stones changing their skills on the fly? I mean skill the way I understood it in the old days was mana and resource management along with the timing of your spells and knowing when to switch out for weapon hits etc.

I don't mind multi resists, defense increase/decrease and spell damage, but there is just way to much skill manipulation in the game. Add consumables to that mix that have no timers or cool downs or whatever you want to call it and the play shifts to primarily offense only combat because you are never more than a keystroke away from being healed/cured/refreshed.

If each skill/template had something unique to bring to the table that made them viable or at least a few of them viable then it would be a much more interesting experience.

Now as far as players disliking pvp as it exists in UO today, I don't get what there is to dislike, I mean you aren't going to lose anything if you die anyways right?

In any event just a few thoughts, the game is what it is at the end of the day for better or worse. I think the devs do the best they can with what they have and it seems like pvp is a minority activity so there is no reason it should get any kind of priority over fishing and boat battles with npcs.

Ls Jax Ls

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think the devs do the best they can with what they have and it seems like pvp is a minority activity so there is no reason it should get any kind of priority over fishing and boat battles with npcs.
African Americans are a minority in the United States...are their needs being neglected anymore than any other race? No. Just because PvP as you claim is a "minority" activity doesn't mean it should not get the same attention as trammy activities.

Dakkon Blackblade

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
African Americans are a minority in the United States...are their needs being neglected anymore than any other race? No. Just because PvP as you claim is a "minority" activity doesn't mean it should not get the same attention as trammy activities.
Apples to oranges you cannot compare human rights to a game design, I'm not surprised you tried to go there though. :lol:

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
*blinks* What? How did we get here?

Status
Not open for further replies.