• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Discussion] The Rares Festival Council

Athelas

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well as promised (and after multiple pms regarding it) I have come up with an idea on voting for future festivals. Everyone is of course concerned for their items and no one wants a repeat of what happened on Pacific. This won't be at all like the previous Rares Council, no nominations for membership and all that jazz.

"But but but, Athelas, how will the council be chosen then?" *eyes filled with tears*

Why that's very simple Billy, the council will be composed of all previous Rares Festival hosts.

Voting will go as normal, proposals made as always. But the final decision will come down to the council. You have trusted your items to them in the past, who better to make the final decision.

Thoughts?

Lord Nabin

High Council Sage - Greater Sosaria
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
Thanks for taking this on Athelas.

I would be happy to help with Xfers to future fests as usual. It helps if I have a small house nearby the site to help with easy pick ups.

The Lake Sup team was very kind in allowing a off to the side location for that.

Slickjack

Rares Fest Host | Cats Nov 2010
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'd be happy to serve on this committee.

Good idea.

G

Gunga_Din

No council, I'll be the Dictator of Rares. What I say is what you all will do. Council's are for chumps like Athelas who can't make up their minds or make the tough decisions. Athleas....you weenie !!! :)

P.S. I'd like to join your round table.

Athelas

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
One of the main things I like about this idea is from this we could form another rares council, if folks are still interested in that sort of thing. The festival hosts are a special breed of collector. They are self starters, hard workers and not afraid to share their opinions. That is what I like in a council. For the time being this will just be for the festivals, with ever increasing membership as they go on.

I say bring on the proposals!

**Edit**

Aye I think you may be right Demonous. I would have been all for him until he admitted that he is wrong 1% of the time in the Festival Of The Grape thread. Can't have that!

Lord Nabin

Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
I really like this idea. I am happy to support the festivals with resources I have at my disposal. :)

I think integrity is a must for a council member, followed by everything else that might be on the list.

neptune1369

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
One of the main things I like about this idea is from this we could form another rares council, if folks are still interested in that sort of thing. The festival hosts are a special breed of collector. They are self starters, hard workers and not afraid to share their opinions. That is what I like in a council. For the time being this will just be for the festivals, with ever increasing membership as they go on.

I say bring on the proposals!

**Edit**

Aye I think you may be right Demonous. I would have been all for him until he admitted that he is wrong 1% of the time in the Festival Of The Grape thread. Can't have that!
:thumbup: sounds good to me. I have been to the past few fest an loved them all. Left with a few things for my museum and sold what i didn't want. As long as it don't become "do it our way or no way" it sounds like a good idea to me

Lord Gareth

UO Content Editor | UO Chesapeake & Rares News
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
Sounds good
"Let's kick the tires and light the fires, big daddy!"

....and I also move to decline Gunga. :heart:

Lord Nabin

Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
Does that mean that Gunga goes to redemtion Island and runs the unofficial rares fest house?

Lord Gareth

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
Is this like survivor where we vote people off the island?
Totally could be if you want. Want to vote off the Council organizer so we can do it that way?

:danceb:

Athelas

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Totally could be if you want. Want to vote off the Council organizer so we can do it that way?

:danceb:
Good luck with that, my super power is management!

Anyway, I'm currently making a list of all previous hosts. Once we know who all is currently active we'll go from there.

Ken of Napa

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
QUOTE]

Great reasons and great Idea!

The only thing I'd add is :

These people obviously have a screw loose to do the jobs they've already done. So might as well take advantage of that loose screw and have them take over another thankless job ;) Besides other than that loose screw, they're all pretty good people:thumbsup:

:danceb::danceb::danceb::danceb::danceb:

Athelas

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Don't worry Ken, once you host your one man rares festival "Kenfest," we won't leave you out in the cold as a separate entity, you'll be roped in with us!

As for other jobs the Rares Festival Sanitation committee is underway.

Lord Nabin

Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
*Tips a hat to Kenfest*

Slickjack

Rares Fest Host | Cats Nov 2010
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I look forward to seeing the list of hosts from past Raresfests...

I know a few, like Xuri from Great Lakes, aren't active right now, but this still is the most legitimate way I've heard to decide on "rares issues" like the festival sites...

Bon Iver

Rares Fest Host | Atl Sept 2011 & June 2013
Stratics Veteran
Not trying to be the antagonist here but I think it should also be partly supported by public vote. Who knows if some people on the council have favorites or not. It should be a 50/50 vote.

Athelas

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Voting will go as normal, proposals made as always. But the final decision will come down to the council. You have trusted your items to them in the past, who better to make the final decision.

Thoughts?
If you'll notice in the initial post I state that voting will go as normal. In order to even get to a council vote the community will have to vote, as always.

Not trying to be the antagonist here but I think it should also be partly supported by public vote. Who knows if some people on the council have favorites or not. It should be a 50/50 vote.

It won't be 50/50 as the council will make the final decision. All of the members are different types of folks but we all want the same things, a safe and fun festival.

Demonous

Rares Fest Host | Ches Jul 2010
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
serious question, will the hosts of the pacific rares festival be included? im not even sure exactly who hosted that festival... im going to say it was a group of random people rather than known rare collectors, but i don't think they should be part of the council regardless after what happened over there

Athelas

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
serious question, will the hosts of the pacific rares festival be included? im not even sure exactly who hosted that festival... im going to say it was a group of random people rather than known rare collectors, but i don't think they should be part of the council regardless after what happened over there
Aye, I plan on including them. The festival itself was a good experience, the auction not so much. Should we start ignoring everyone that makes a mistake? I agree that was a big mistake, but I plan on dealing with these type situations head on, not ignoring them so history repeats itself.

Demonous

Rares Fest Host | Ches Jul 2010
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i just feel that anyone who puts full trust in someone they know for only 3 months and gives them full access to billions of gold worth of other peoples rares after only knowing someone for 3 measly months should be ex-communicated.... thats like the ultimate mistake, irreparable...

Ken of Napa

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It has been said, that we learn more from our failures than from our successes.

I know that I have ;)

Athelas

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
i just feel that anyone who puts full trust in someone they know for only 3 months and gives them full access to billions of gold worth of other peoples rares after only knowing someone for 3 measly months should be ex-communicated.... thats like the ultimate mistake, irreparable...
No I agree, that was a huge mistake. But if they would like to take part in the voting I would still like to extend the opportunity. You know as well as I do that it takes a lot of work to step up and host a festival, I'm not going to cheapen the original intention because of what happened later.

Lord Nabin

Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
Lets not forget the billions were repaid by the auction house to those who had losses which was in fact above and beyond what a lot of others would have done.

In addition do to their changes in security have not had a loss of any kind since. Including during several rares auctions.

Lord Essex

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just have to say I think everyone who helped w/ the last Rares Festival did an outstanding job.. Though I wish it hadn't been on LS.. I wouldn't have spent so much damn gold.. But I had a blast and it reminded me of the Festivals we used to put on w/ UCC n all (Miss those days..:sad3:).. Anyway.. I degress.. Keep up the good work and If there is anything I can ever do to help please let me know.

Respectfully,
Essex

RaistlinNowhere

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Im totally agree with the council idea.

About the pacific fest, its true it was a great mistake, but on the other part it was one of the best fest i were ( except the auction mistake ), and they didnt try to hide it, they said it, make the problem public inmediatley and put gold from they account to repair it.

That make my opinion even better of how they manage it, even with that horrible mistake and im sure they have learned from it.

Kraxal

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So who is the rares council and how are the decisions made on where the next fest is going to be? Obviously poles do not work and threads about these ideas and suggestions get locked. Who do we turn too? I bow to Athelas!

Bon Iver

Stratics Veteran
Well it is decided that the council will be previous Rares-Fest associated staff, so lets get to the proposals and voting!

TandaBSK

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A few season's back Xuri and Majestic Oaks Auction of Great Lakes hosted one Rare's fest there is some interest on behalf of the auction house and its patrons to see this brought to Great Lakes Shard another time.

Is that something anyone would consider? If so please, PM me for my icq number or if you know Pratt send him an icq. Just exploring options, it was a lot of fun to work that auction! The crowd on shard was awesome a lot of great folks! We have the same group of staffers, save Xuri who left to do rl stuff.

Athelas

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
A few season's back Xuri and Majestic Oaks Auction of Great Lakes hosted one Rare's fest there is some interest on behalf of the auction house and its patrons to see this brought to Great Lakes Shard another time.

Is that something anyone would consider? If so please, PM me for my icq number or if you know Pratt send him an icq. Just exploring options, it was a lot of fun to work that auction! The crowd on shard was awesome a lot of great folks! We have the same group of staffers, save Xuri who left to do rl stuff.
Oh my my my!

neptune1369

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Oh my my my!
yes bring it back to Great Lakes :danceb:

F

Fraggles

does not seem people are exactly jumping up to host rares Fest :(

Lord Gareth

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
so lets get to the proposals and voting!
Baja!!!
I would be willing to help host one there

or

Chesapeake!!!

Yea I know we just did one and don't expect to get it but you said lets get to the proposals hehe

*Hides from WildStar*

lineman

Rares Fest Host | Ches Jan 2011
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
does not seem people are exactly jumping up to host rares Fest :(
I am always willing to run or help with the auction as stated elsewhere. I like the fact that people know there rares are safe while the scum bags beat there heads knowing they will never have another Pacific, (at least not on my watch)

lineman

Rares Fest Host | Ches Jan 2011
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I also think it would be cool wherever the next fest is held that it be in New Magencia. It is not time yet as the healing still continues and things are not easily forgotten, but I do foresee myself hosting one on Pacific in New Magencia. The wife and I are new residents there and there is a nice little community brewing already.

Lord Gareth

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
*Crosschecks Lineman*

We can do one on Baja in New Magincia!!!

*Pulls that out of his ass and begs Bliss Marie, Manticore, Jinx, Fanny, WildStar and the BRPA*

Bon Iver

Stratics Veteran
Toad Town is still beside the Atlantic option.

We even started getting some cool raffle prizes! *Being a kiss ass*

Wink wink. ;)

Kraxal

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would love to see the raresfest come to Atlantic. Especially since I have played Atlantic since 97 and missed the ones that had been previously held there. I will help promote it on other websites where more people are accustomed to reading my posts. I bet the festival will grow even larger if we have one on Atlantic because people are searching more now than ever for something to help keep them interested in the game. After being one of the heads of one of the largest guilds in the game for a long time I would love to see more and more people come back to UO. Collecting EM items and the events that are happening right now on all shards are helping. An Atlantic rarefest would be a slam dunk for collectors and for the game of Ultima Online. Thanks.