• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Fishing] The Race For The Void Lobster! VOID LOBSTER ACHIEVED

Adol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, apparently it was fixed in the recent Publish 80, and it hit Europa this morning... so on your marks! Get set! Lobster trap!

At least, I'm assuming it's fixed; I went with 15 traps as soon as the server came up. There was no visible difference to the mechanics, you still get a "The Fish Are Not Biting Here" warning on each cycle. I didn't see a *bob* at any time, and I ran 6 traps up to 7 ticks a few times. Then I took them out and did constant 2-3 cycles and resetting... after an hour and a half I was down to 4 lava traps and no sign of the Void. So either it's incredibly rare without the Lobster Bait on the traps... or maybe it's broken? I need to get a Lava Hook to try fishing in the Stygian Lava next to confirm that at least is working (I do have bait for the Lava Fish so I'll try that too)...

Good luck to those with traps remaining, I'd love to have caught the first ever Void Lobster but I can't see it happening now!

Last edited:

Radugast

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sigh, why didnt they change the message atleast? It doesnt even make sense, since your crabbing and not fishing. Hopefully they added the chance to get one on the first pulse.

Adol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My hands are still shaking.... But whether it's the first ever or not, the question can finally be answered...

Gentleman, the Void Lobster exists. And he's a bugger to catch!

Yes, he's also likely to be one of the SMALLEST lobsters ever caught too! But what a few hours of incredible drama though; It started at the weekly Europa Auctions, and the generosity of a young Lady Foxglove, who donated 26 new Lava traps, and 100 Void Lobster bait for this poor fishermatey's year long quest to prove the existence of the Loch Lava Monster. But half way through the auction list we suddenly got the server down warnings. Would the bait be reverted? Would we all re-spawn as lobsters ourselves, trapped in an endless quest to use Fish-tickling to catch Mesanna in human sized traps? You never know with these emergency patches...!

But fortunately the servers were down only an hour, and saved at shut down; no items lost, no auctions ruined... and thus on with the Big Boy Fishing Pants and into the Stygian Abyss it was!

What can you expect if you are ever lucky enough to get the traps and the bait? The piles of traps can all be baited at once; and as far as I can tell, keep the bait active through each cycle. As mentioned above, you still get the "No Fish Biting Here" message, and this is true even when the traps are baited. When a trap is removed it loses the bait and has to be rebaited, which with the lack of Void bait in the loot tables (see my sticky here in this forum) is likely to prove extremely expensive. It makes more sense then to leave the traps in until destruction if baited.

Which you'll get a lot of... I was there for another 30 odd minutes watching the traps cycle, and had lost another 5 already. Idly chatting in General, the famous Generosity of Europa struck again; Captain Degeulo was, despite my insistence that I was snowed under from the auction previous, donating more snow tiles and lava traps for the effort. I was at this point getting pretty fed up, as there didn't seem to be any way to tell it was even working. When, suddenly just as I finished saying "I'm pretty sure it's broken"....!

I seriously recommend getting the Enhanced Client and the Pinco UI if you're going for the rare lobsters. As you can see, it'll mark any trap within Line of Sight that has bobbed and captured a lobster. It was quiet where I was, OR SO I THOUGHT, and without any other reaction from the traps in lava, it was obvious it must have been there ... at which point I must admit, I started to panic. Oh my gosh, lobsterlobsterLOBSTER!

Which trap was it? Looking at the shot now, I'm pretty sure it was one of a very long lasting wave. It was way beyond 5 ticks, possibly around 7-8 ticks it had been in the lava. I promptly declared Degeulo my "lucky captain" because the instant he donated more traps, the famed Void Lobster approacheth! I quickly pulled that one trap, and left the others in. Why? I don't know, MUST SAVE LOBSTER! I tried to insure it, but it wouldn't insure. Scrabbling around, I found a Bag of Sending and sent him to my bank box... you never know when the fates will change their mind.

And whilst I was doing it... SOMEONE WAS WATCHING ME!

One of my friends on Europa had stealthed down to observe my every move; I don't know he's there, I'm still twitching around at this point trying to find cotton wool to cram my new void buddy into... But I'm glad I got to share the moment, even if a stolen moment, with another of Europa's decent denizens...

So just how rare are they? It's hard to say with just one. I'm at 120 fishing, using the full Fishing suit, and with baited traps. I used 13 traps unbaited total earlier, with let us say 3-5 cycles for each one, giving maybe 36 - 65 tries at a minimum; I wasn't keeping track of how many I replaced after a few cycles and used again but a rough guess I would double that total. Then I tried again, with bait, and ran another 5 traps at least 3 waves until destruction (which came either 1-3 cycles in, or deep beyond the 5 expected; they either seemed to live forever or go under far too quickly, but that may just be my perception).... All very unscientific, sorry! But I'd say even with suit and bait, I'd be surprised if the odds aren't extremely small... you'll need to risk traps sitting for a long time to pull one. Is it possible to get one on the first tick...? Maybe. Don't bet on it though!

Now what do with all the traps and bait kindly donated? Well, if the donators don't want them back, I'm thinking the kind thing to do would be to pay them forward to other Legendary Fishers. The fishing quests currently are an ungodly grind, and the chances of ever seeing enough traps and bait (or Charbydis bait and getting an Oracle for that matter) are pretty slim. But we've all dreamed of this last rare beastie, so why not share the opportunity to catch one? ;)

Last edited:

Radugast

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Congrats! Im glad you got one and thanks for the insight! Im still trying to get one but by the sounds of it I probably wont until i get my hands on some bait and more lava traps to risk.

Parnoc

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What are these "cycles" you speak of? And did the trap "bob" when you got the lobster?

Minerva Foxglove

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
YAY it worked! Well Done! If you know any oter leg fisher that worked hard to get this lobster , pass the baits if you like. I made countless of quests but never came to much rare fish or crab catcing myself , not worth the time spent for me. So thanks god, baits are stacking.

Adol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What are these "cycles" you speak of? And did the trap "bob" when you got the lobster?
The trap checks once per cycle (UOGuide says per 60 seconds) for whether to catch a lobster. When in water, each *bob* indicates the end of a cycle; it places crustaceans in the trap at that point, and then starts the timer again, whilst increasing the chance of a rare catch (the named crustaceans) as well as the chance the trap will be destroyed on the next check. I call it a cycle because the process has to repeat to effectively catch anything, if you place and remove before the timer ends, you'll not catch anything at all, and if you want to have a chance at filling those fish orders, letting it run through the process at least twice is essential; you'll normally get mostly unnamed crabs and lobsters if it completes just 1 check.

In Lava, you don't get a *bob* if it fails, as there's only the Void Lobster to catch, instead you get a "The Fish Are Not Biting Here" message, but I'm assuming the chance for trap destruction and lobster catch also rises after each cycle through, as it does in water.

As you can see from the screenshot in EC above, although I missed the actual, single *bob* over the trap due to shock of it being there, I caught it on chat... so yes, it does *bob* when the Void Lobster appears.

What has stimmied us previously was no one got Book 6 from the Dragonfish to know where it was for quite some time, and even when we did, it wasn't bobbing in the Stygian Abyss either, and without common bait or absolute proof we didn't know if it was just ultra-rare, or not spawning. Badgering the bugfixers got confirmation of both the suit and the lava being broken... and now, after a lot of traps, and testing, we know at least he's in there now! Lava fish too apparently, although I'm not able to check that yet...

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Had a friend burn 300 traps on Atl in the last week or so. Can anyone confirm Void being caught on Atlantic since the big revert? Just wondering if during the revert they reverted Atl back to when they were not spawning or something.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Yeah, that's what I told him, was my thinking also. Then he told me about the 300 traps lol.. figured I would try to confirm a catch since then. Better safe than sorry. Ya know :)

Adol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah, that's what I told him, was my thinking also. Then he told me about the 300 traps lol.. figured I would try to confirm a catch since then. Better safe than sorry. Ya know :)
I've been chasing the Legendary Lobsters as part of my fishing collection, and that sounds about right for how many traps you burn through without bait... I've only caught the Dread Lobster elsewhere (the one that's in Doom) and it took something like 200-400 normal traps. It was caught in one that bobbed 3 times as I recall. I'm currently after the Blood Lobster in Shame and so far I've used around 600 and it's not yet bitten... I've had to leave a ship by Sea Market to keep replacing the traps that get pulled under. All I can say is, if the odds on the Void Lobster aren't different (and I shudder to think that they may not be) bait would be an absolute essential for it as Lava Lobster traps aren't exactly common either...

Thinking about it though, on the other hand the Void Lobster may actually be an easier one to catch, as the traps can't be filled with anything else, so in theory you can just leave them in place until the odds rise enough? Unless in turn the odds are capped at a certain number of bobs? I've caught quite a few of the Rare Crabs too (Blue & Stone so far) and those come along pretty frequently, especially with suit/bait, and are usually in locations you can place a ship too which helps with deploying tonnes of traps at once... I just can't give certain data on Legendary I'm afraid as there's so little to compare them against, and the bait never seems to appear. I've passed on the spare traps and Void bait to Wanda on Europa now, I'll point her towards this thread and ask to write up her findings when she chases the mightiest of Mr Pinchies...

Doubleplay

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just to further info on this subject, I decided to give it another try a few days ago after I got a 100 use void lobster bait. I went down to the abyss with 10 lobster traps, placed 5. I caught a 25 stone lobster with those first 5 traps and left the abyss with 6 traps still in my pack. After all this time, complaining about the difficulty of catching the darn things, now I find myself complaining about my bad luck in only getting a 25 stone lobster. I wonder if I will ever be satisfied?

Doubleplay

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have the little guy sitting on a pedestal in my trophy room. I have no problem creating a jpg to the proper requirements, but am reluctant to use the public image hosts. If someone on Sonoma would be so kind as to take a pic, the lobster is in my trophy room in the Aldo house just west of Luna, a couple screens to the left and about one screen to the south.

Adol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Petra, you can download The GiMP as a free public domain art program (No, really... it stands for General Image Manipulation Program, it's a safe link!), and then just zoom to 1600x resolution (down to individual pixels) and use the Lasso icon and click along the pixels you want ... here's a rough and ready grab of the three pictures; the first is the one in the bank, the seocnd is mounted in the EC at maximum zoom, the third is mounted in the Classic Client;

Doubleplay

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have to go a little off topic here to attest to the fact that Gimp is amazing. I have been using it for several years and as far as image manipulation is concerned there isn't much left to be desired. However, the learning curve is tremendous so be forewarned.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have the little guy sitting on a pedestal in my trophy room. I have no problem creating a jpg to the proper requirements, but am reluctant to use the public image hosts. If someone on Sonoma would be so kind as to take a pic, the lobster is in my trophy room in the Aldo house just west of Luna, a couple screens to the left and about one screen to the south.
Thank you :) Got him.

Thanks Adol. I keep meaning to try GiMP, currently I use paint.net. I downloaded GiMP once, but couldn't get my head around it and unistalled it. :(
Knowing where I could actually go see one helped a lot. I was able to use pinco's 'i wish to make a screenshot' and get it on a white background, nice and easy to 'magic wand' the background to transparent.

Adol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well if you re-download GiMP I'm sure we could all help you with any future problems... regarding my void, I didn't realise you'd not seen where my museum is, or that I'd not put co-ordinates in this thread here; I live just west of the Britain Swamp, next to THP's castle, although now you've found one to snap it's not so pressing!