• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Imbuing] The Poor man's Sorcerer Suit

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
I really enjoy the Sorcerer Suit.
What’s not to like. It has pure 70 Resists and gives you 100% LRC.

But over time I am finding that there are some serious drawbacks to the Sorcerer Suit. No LMC…..
Little to no Mana Regeneration…..
And PRICE!!!

These suits, if you can find them for sale, typically sell for 30 million at the lowest and go up to 45 or even 50 million a pop.

So I got to thinking… there has to be a cheaper alternative that I cam make with imbuing that will give me that and MORE!

So I started to experiment.
And this morning I made my creation.
And I must say, I am very happy with what I got out of my experiment and more so what it cost me to make.

So here is my Frankenstein Sorcerer Suit.

Suit is of course 100% LRC
With 40% LMC
Mana Regeneration 7

With resists 88 / 81 / 75 / 69 / 73

With the added bonus of 24 Spell Damage Increase and Fast Cast 2 and Fast Cast Recovery 5. I also added some skills onto the Ring and Watch that I wanted so it includes +20 Magic and +10 Stealth and +10 Eval Inel.

(this suit was made for a Stealth Mage with is a Knight of Justice – champ spawn scroll holder and back up team res’r and light pvp)

Suit also has 30 DCI and some other odd mods (int increase, HP regen) but all at low levels and not worth mentioning.

But what really impressed me is that not only was I able to match the Sorcerer Suit, but in some many key area’s I was able to surpass it….. and at a HUGE gold savings.

All in for this suit (ALL IN I’m even adding market value to the items I already had like the totem of the void and such) my cost for it was 4 million gold and about 1 hour of work.

And this is what I did.
I picked up some (9) relics (80k per = 720k)
9 powders of fort (95k per = 855k)
A Kasa of the Raj-In (500k)
Totem of the Void (1.2 mill)
Shield of Inv (200k)
Pendant of the Magi (500k)

I went and killed some dragons in Destard for 10 minutes to get some barbed leather.
I went and killed some Highland Boras for the Pelts for a half an hour (with a guild mate cause we where bored and chatting in TS)

And I took the loot from the dragons we killed and used imbuing to melt them down into 40 essence and some residue.

I then picked up aprox 200 of the small end gems I needed.

And that was all I needed for supplies.

I then took my imbuer and crafted up the suit.

I had a ½ watch and a 1/3 ring already on the mage that I had picked up from farming some time ago and used them.

This is the sequence I used to make the suit and what I put on each item

I first took the leather and made tunics, legs, arms and gloves and made them out of barded until I was able to get one of each item that where as close to bottom in resists in phy and fire and had over 10 reists and hopefully as high as 13 in cold, nox and energy.

1. I added LMC 6 onto the tunic, legs and gloves and the watch
2. I added Mana Regeneration onto the tunic, legs, arms and gloves
3. I added 18 LRC onto the tunic, legs and gloves along with the Ring
4. then I added phy and nox onto the gloves (max allowable, hence the bora pelts)
5. then added phy and fire onto the tunic and legs (max allowable, hence the bora pelts)
6. that left me the arms and I was able to add resists to the phy, fire, cold and energy since I had only added mana regen up to this point.

And that is what I like to call the Frankenstein Sorcerer Suit.

My first version of this suit was a copy of the Sorcerer suit with was just the same thing without the powder of for and no LMC which gave me a 70 suit with 100 LRC and the cost was next to nothing. So I named those the ‘poor mans Sorcerer Suit’ and I seem to be making a lot of those for guild mates.

Thought id put pen to paper and share this with the community.
Hope it helps someone.

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
oh sorry.

question was asked of me and i should post it here.

that suit dosnt include spellbook or weapon.

so can put on a slayer book or a scrapper for the sdi or put on a SC mage weapon with -20 for the pvp.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
good info almost like my suit! I use the soul shield ! I can build mine so cheap I dont even bother to pof it! and have had it since SA came out and have repaired 1 time!

Theo_GL

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I craft and imbue similar mage/crafter/tamer suits for sale on Great Lakes.

I will make out of barb leather and sometimes powder them up to 70 or 100 durability (the more I powder the more I charge).

Each piece has 18 LRC, MR 1 and Mana +7 except tunic only needs 10% LRC

Then I slap on resist and can usually make it around 85/70/70/70/75 so it is full energy for an elf and 70 physical with protection.

Total suit is All 70's, 100% LRC, +42 Mana, MR 6

That is with no jewels, weapon, spellbook.

I sell for 700 to 1.2 mil depending on Powder level.

J

[JD]

Those sorceror suits are more for collectors, they aren't that great to actually wear when you consider what imbuing can do. I am surprised when I see people wearing them.

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
I craft and imbue similar mage/crafter/tamer suits for sale on Great Lakes.

I will make out of barb leather and sometimes powder them up to 70 or 100 durability (the more I powder the more I charge).

Each piece has 18 LRC, MR 1 and Mana +7 except tunic only needs 10% LRC

Then I slap on resist and can usually make it around 85/70/70/70/75 so it is full energy for an elf and 70 physical with protection.

Total suit is All 70's, 100% LRC, +42 Mana, MR 6

That is with no jewels, weapon, spellbook.

I sell for 700 to 1.2 mil depending on Powder level.
thats the same suit i make for guild mates.
no powder just straight imbued LRC with mana regen 1 on each.
cheap to make.
fast to make.

but very effective.

a definate change for what some of my tamers where wearing.
i got into makeing them when i would go tame greater dragons and they would one hit kill me.
now with those suits on i can tame and cast heal at my leisure.

it funny when ya think of it.
you charge like 700k to 1.2 mill and the total cost on those suits, even IF you where to chuck in some taming ring and watch, heck id be suprised if the cost of that suit was over 20k, hehe

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Those sorceror suits are more for collectors, they aren't that great to actually wear when you consider what imbuing can do. I am surprised when I see people wearing them.
i know i have one on each shard, but that was just cause i ran that damn casca note on all my toons when that even was around and got a suit per shard.

but ya, its not really an effective suit for my tamers as they dont have any med or focus so they NEED the LMC and mana regen to be maxed.

so imbuing is the way to go for them.

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
good info almost like my suit! I use the soul shield ! I can build mine so cheap I dont even bother to pof it! and have had it since SA came out and have repaired 1 time!
That's what I do too!! Replace-able cheap suits for my support chars, with 90% intensities so that I don't need special ingredients. Then skip the pof process. I skip the LMC on armour as well coz they require fragments.

For rings and bracelets, I will keep those with properties and intensities that requires relics, and imbue better mods since they have 255 durability for free.

Edit: I mean I will keep looted jewellery with properties and intensities that requires relics/special ingredients like FC1/LMC etc and use them as my base items for further imbuing.

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is a great example. I make such suits all the time for new mage players joining our guild. The most expensive thing about this suit is the Powder of Fortifying, in case you want to increase its durability.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
That's what I do too!! Replace-able cheap suits for my support chars, with 90% intensities so that I don't need special ingredients. Then skip the pof process. I skip the LMC on armour as well coz they require fragments.

For rings and bracelets, I will keep those with properties and intensities that requires relics, and imbue better mods since they have 255 durability for free.

Edit: I mean I will keep looted jewellery with properties and intensities that requires relics/special ingredients like FC1/LMC etc and use them as my base items for further imbuing.
I do the same with jewels I find ! the suits work great for casters ,tamers, crafters, archers etc but for a warrior not so much!

TullyMars

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Aye nice suit, and if you work at it some more can even be added to it...it just takes imbuing the right base suit pieces. For example 88 / 81 / 75 / 69 / 73 is your resists...if you rearranged so you are 85 / 70 / 70 /70 / 75 you may have a couple extra slots open for properties.

the only benefit the sorcerer's suit has over this is I believed it is blessed thus no insurance needed. I could be wrong on that though.

Tangled Metal

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So, Poo, you got me thinking about what could be built with the new imbuing system and the new artifacts. Maybe not the Poor Man's Suit but if you get your Tangle as a drop it would cost less than the price of the Sorcerer's Suit.

Here is what I came up with:

100% LRC
45% LMC
40% DCI
40% SDI
20 MR
2/7
72/70/70/71/75
INT +25
HPI +25

Set includes:
Totem of the Void
Pendant of the Magi
Conjurer's Garb
Earrings of Protection Poison
Shield of Invulnerability
Tangle
Melissa's Cloak
Scrapper's with MR1

It took about 50 relic Frags, 100 Bora Pelts, 13 Powder of Fort, 50 Seeds of Renewal(could leave these out and go with 15MR) and a few other ingredients. I got lucky a couple of times. My Dark Sapphire Bracelet came out with 2MR, 10 LRC and FC3 on its own and I did a nice little trick with the armor to save one property so I was able to imbue 5 properties on each piece easily. I wish I had gone with 5% DCI on my Bracelet instead of LRC because I could have gotten 45% DCI easily and moved the 10% LRC onto the armor. I will probably end up doing that later if I ever come up with a decent Dark Sapphire Bracelet again. Still a pretty decent suit I think.

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
why so high MR?

i thought that MR was under the diminishing returns thingy, and that anything past 12-15 was pointless if not counterproductive?

and what is a tangle?

Tangled Metal

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
MR starts diminishing returns at 18. Why I have 20 is beyond me as well! I was just trying to max out a suit. Tangle is the new 1/2 apron Arti from Navery in the underworld.

Tangle (1/2 apron)
Weight: 2 Stones
Intelligence Bonus 10
Mana Regeneration 2
Defense Chance Increase 5%
Strength Requirement 10

C

CroakerTnT

Lordy, that's called a poor-man's suit!!! Man insurance really messes with the economy!

I don't have 2 Mil gold, but I have a castle and most everything one could need on siege...

Theo_GL

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
you charge like 700k to 1.2 mill and the total cost on those suits, even IF you where to chuck in some taming ring and watch, heck id be suprised if the cost of that suit was over 20k, hehe
No it is definitely more than 20k if you consider the imbuing ingredients. They aren't rares - but its alot of gems and residue and essance.

Mana 7 = 4 Essance and 8 Saphires x 6 pieces = 24 Essance and 24 Saphires

The saphires cost 100+ each so thats 2,400 plus 24 Essance at 3k each for 72k. So 75k just to add the Mana +7.

MR 1 and LRC are similar cost so figgure 250k for those three mods.

Then you blow more with jiggering the resists and you have fails on mods 4 and 5.

All told it costs me about 400k or so in ingredients I figgure before powder. Now, I don't buy my ingredients - but that is the opportunity cost if I did. Meaning I could just sell the ingredients instead of making the suit and make 350-400k.

I think the 1m is a fair price for the ingredients and effort involved in making the suit. It does take time, a spreadsheet and a system to get the mods/resists correct on it.

K

Kallie Pigeon

If that's a poor mans sorcerer suit then I use the destitute homeless mans sorcerers suit. :)

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor

The saphires cost 100+ each so thats 2,400 plus 24 Essance at 3k each for 72k. So 75k just to add the Mana +7.
i dont put mana 7 on mine

just MR 1
18 LRC
and resists

and i get my essence and residue from killing the dragons when getting the leather.
so 20 essence...... 0 cost
200 residue...... 0 cost

so the only output for me is for the lower end gems.
100 of each diamond, ruby, saphire, emerald and amyth.
which it is about 40k to make.

poor mans suit.

E

eekamouse

I have a question on the MR aspect.

What if you had one of these suits with really high MR, and then dropped Med and went pure Necro/Mage, go into Lich Form and wear one of these suits?

Your MR would be like 40, lol.

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
as far as i know mana regen is under the 'diminishing rewards' blanket.

and as far as i know its (and i hate to say that word capped) capped at 15.

but we know its not a real cap,but a diminishing rewards cap.
so basically anything past the 15 is a waste.

that is, from everyone im asking thats what im hearing.

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Number crunching:
All numbers are for passive meditation.
at 100 meditation, 100 int, 0 focus:
MR 0 = 1.13 mana per second
MR 6 = 1.79 mana per second
MR 12 = 2.07 mana per second
MR 15 = 2.18 mana per second
MR 20 = 2.34 mana per second

at 0 meditation, 40 int, 0 focus
MR 0 = 0.17 mana per second
MR 6 = 0.84 mana per second
MR 12 = 0.98 mana per second
MR 15 = 1.08 mana per second
MR 20 = 1.22 mana per second

120 med, 100 focus, +25 MR, 110 int (from here):
3.31 mana per second (this, as far as I'm concerned, is the theoretical "cap", but I'm not convinced you could fit 25 MR on a suit)

My conclusion: There is a tangible benefit from more MR in a suit, but for me, it just isn't worth the extra mods.

Theo_GL

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
i dont put mana 7 on mine

just MR 1
18 LRC
and resists

and i get my essence and residue from killing the dragons when getting the leather.
so 20 essence...... 0 cost
200 residue...... 0 cost

so the only output for me is for the lower end gems.
100 of each diamond, ruby, saphire, emerald and amyth.
which it is about 40k to make.

poor mans suit.
Sorry Poo - Trump just Fired you.

That is poor business math. I could care less where and how you get your ingredients - the point is that you can either :

1- Make them into a suit
2 -Sell them

It doesn't matter if you buy the ingredients or farm them - the point is the profit margin on the suit is the difference between the value of the ingredients and the sales price.

You say your essance and residue is free - but so what? The 'cost' of the suit is you NOT selling them for 1-3k each and using to make the suit.

You could just do nothing and sell them for 3k each. 200 residue and 200 essance is at least 300-500k in opportunity cost of not selling and consuming.

Do you see my point?

Make no suits and sell materials = 500k
Make suit and sell = 1mil

The 'cost' to make the suit is the opportunity cost of the materials. You also gather your raw materials so your 'sunk' cost is zero but the opportuity cost of crafting is 500k.

Selling for anything less than 500k is a loss of value.

Simple business really.

TullyMars

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No it is definitely more than 20k if you consider the imbuing ingredients. They aren't rares - but its alot of gems and residue and essance.

MR 1 and LRC are similar cost so figgure 250k for those three mods.

Then you blow more with jiggering the resists and you have fails on mods 4 and 5.

All told it costs me about 400k or so in ingredients I figgure before powder. Now, I don't buy my ingredients - but that is the opportunity cost if I did. Meaning I could just sell the ingredients instead of making the suit and make 350-400k.

I think the 1m is a fair price for the ingredients and effort involved in making the suit. It does take time, a spreadsheet and a system to get the mods/resists correct on it.
400k is an over estimate by all means. Using your prices (or some guestimates and stuff you didn't mention)...
35 Barbed Leather to start = 10,000
7 MI per piece = 24 Essence and 48 Sapphires = 72,000 + 4,800
1 MR per piece = 12 Essence and 30 Sapphires = 36,000 + 3,000
17% LRC per piece = 24 Residue and 48 Amber = 4,800 + 2,400
2 Extra Resists per piece= 48 Residue + 96 Basic Gems = 9,600 + 19,200
(used diamonds for the pricing schema as they are the most expensive)
Added failure cost = lets say 38,000 should cover it.

All that adds up to under 200k.
No PoF, no special materials, and as long as you start with the right base pieces it should be easy to make.
And that is definitely an overstimate for the cost to make.

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
i think we are looking at the price vs selling from 2 different player style.

the guys adding prices to the suit im assuming are guys that run venders (and i say guys as a generic term, im sure there are girls making suits and selling them, we just pay them less, hehehe)

and then there are players like me who dont have venders and never have and just make items for our own game play or if a guildmate or a new players needs an item.

so where i may add a monitary value really low to an item because i make maybe 2 or 3 and use them myself, another play will make 50 and charge 1.2 mill for them.

but thats just game play differences and how different people make gold in game.

so yes, Trump very well may fire me, hehe.

and yes going out and getting the resources is not cost effective.
but i went into this to make cheap suits for myself.
not mass produce an item for selling.

and for interest sake, i was on a HK server a while ago, and you can buy 100% LRC suits with mana regen 1 per piece with resitsts (probablly not pure 70, but damn close) for 25k per shot.

only saw this on 2 shards that i went too, but saw a lot of them.

again, different player dynamic over there id assume.

aarons6

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
this post makes me want to redo my tamers suit..
right now he has mid 50s, about 11 mr, 40 lmc and 100 lrc.
nothing imbued..

im sure i can improve that.

he has a kasa and a rbc.
my jewelery is maxxed out tho,
they are 1/3 with 15 taming and 20 lrc.

Theo_GL

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
i think we are looking at the price vs selling from 2 different player style.

the guys adding prices to the suit im assuming are guys that run venders (and i say guys as a generic term, im sure there are girls making suits and selling them, we just pay them less, hehehe)

and then there are players like me who dont have venders and never have and just make items for our own game play or if a guildmate or a new players needs an item.

so where i may add a monitary value really low to an item because i make maybe 2 or 3 and use them myself, another play will make 50 and charge 1.2 mill for them.

but thats just game play differences and how different people make gold in game.

so yes, Trump very well may fire me, hehe.

and yes going out and getting the resources is not cost effective.
but i went into this to make cheap suits for myself.
not mass produce an item for selling.

and for interest sake, i was on a HK server a while ago, and you can buy 100% LRC suits with mana regen 1 per piece with resitsts (probablly not pure 70, but damn close) for 25k per shot.

only saw this on 2 shards that i went too, but saw a lot of them.

again, different player dynamic over there id assume.
In reality my suits are all 'free' because I gather all resources myself including mining gems. But I still argue the 'cost' is the value of the raw materials plus effort.

However from a pricing perspective I'd never price my output less than the raw materials because I could simply save my time and just sell the resources.

And at the end of the day - I don't need the money from the suits - but the businessman in me would not let me sell things at a 'loss'. :)

I contend the fair price for the suit I make is around 800-1m.

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
this post makes me want to redo my tamers suit..
right now he has mid 50s, about 11 mr, 40 lmc and 100 lrc.
nothing imbued..

im sure i can improve that.

he has a kasa and a rbc.
my jewelery is maxxed out tho,
they are 1/3 with 15 taming and 20 lrc.
on a couple of the shards i dont play often i went there and whipped up a tamer suit.

nothing fancy.
just barbed armor pieces then imbue with 18 LRC and max out the resistances to make the suit 70's and of course mana regen 1 per piece.
then i get a 1/2 or 1/3 and put taming on it.

cheap and simple and lets my tamers live a little longer while in the field.

unfotunatlly with the template i run if i want to do more casting theni have to get into the Powder of Fort and Relics and get the LMC going.
and if your gonna invest the LMC/Relics, then you mis well invest the powder of fort.
then we are back up to the big suit.
hehehehhe