• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

The perfect tank?

P

Prudentis

Hi folks,

I have just recently started playing UO again.
I like playing warrior type characters in computer games. Strangely enough, my only noteworthy UO character is a mage/tamer

Since I plan on staying for awhile this time, I am thinking about starting a warrior to compensate for the weaknesses my mage/tamer has.
That would be, being targeted and actually not dieing

What could I do, to build a nice warrior, who can go toe to toe with tough monsters without haveing to run for his life? I have enough of the kiting style of play on my mage so I'd like my warrior to be able to just stand there and fight.
Is the fotm "sampire" as suggested in the samurai forum really _the_ warrior now? I somehow don't like the idea of a vampire/paladin/samurai. It goes against what I believe a samurai or paladin stand for

I might give it a try sometime, but for now I just don't have the items and money to build on that template, since it seems to rely heavily on very rare equipment.

So to sum it up:
How would an aspiring warrior look like in terms of skills, stats and not-to-impossible equipment?
How would he fight?

Any thoughts and suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

Edit: ahh and we are talking about a 230 stat cap, a 705 skill cap and very limited funds for now.

T

Trukx

I think the basic pally/samuai template would be where you start. Worry about the sampire later on.....its a very different play style and you have to undue how you think about fighting; and yes, its very item dependent usually to get the skills correct.

Melee 120
Tactics 100
Anat 100
Healing 90
Parry 120
Bushido 120
Chiv 70

This template offers a nice degree of offense, defense and healing ability (bandaids, chiv, bushido). Offense--EOO, CW, and LS. A hard hitting weapon with leeches does wonders for mana and stamina. Outside of the 3 120 scrolls, its not that expensive to create; and you can get by w/o 120 parry/bushido until you can afford them. Defense - parry/bushido combo w/ a 2-hander is 40% to block here, plus DCI from your suit (below).

Basic armour to consider:

Helm -- Mace and Shield are my preferred but may cost more than you can afford; so Spirit of Totem or a Kasa for resists is decent as a replacement.

Gloves - Stormgrip

Chest - I love Heart of the Lion -- resists and DCI.

Gorget - Jackals (price has come WAY down and is affordable to many people now; I wont run a warrior w/o one for the +15 dex)

Legs--Fey Leggings (DCI) or Leggins of Bane (HCI)

Arms - crafted.

Thats a basic suit that wont entirely break your bank.

P

Prudentis

Thanks a lot for answering

<blockquote><hr>

Melee 120
Tactics 100
Anat 100
Healing 90
Parry 120
Bushido 120
Chiv 70

[/ QUOTE ]
Perfect, this looks really nice and could be exactly what I am looking for.

<blockquote><hr>

This template offers a nice degree of offense, defense and healing ability (bandaids, chiv, bushido). Offense--EOO, CW, and LS. A hard hitting weapon with leeches does wonders for mana and stamina. Outside of the 3 120 scrolls, its not that expensive to create; and you can get by w/o 120 parry/bushido until you can afford them. Defense - parry/bushido combo w/ a 2-hander is 40% to block here, plus DCI from your suit (below).

[/ QUOTE ]
Well I haven't even seen any 120 scrolls on Drachenfels yet but for starters I will consume the 110s I allready acquired

As for the exact combat sequence ... I guess I will have enough time to learn the mechanics until I get those skills high enough

If not, I'll come back here and ask again

<blockquote><hr>

Basic armour to consider:

Helm -- Mace and Shield are my preferred but may cost more than you can afford; so Spirit of Totem or a Kasa for resists is decent as a replacement.

[/ QUOTE ]
Not exactly sure, what you are suggesting here ...

<blockquote><hr>

Gloves - Stormgrip

Chest - I love Heart of the Lion -- resists and DCI.

Gorget - Jackals (price has come WAY down and is affordable to many people now; I wont run a warrior w/o one for the +15 dex)

Legs--Fey Leggings (DCI) or Leggins of Bane (HCI)

Arms - crafted.

Thats a basic suit that wont entirely break your bank.

[/ QUOTE ]
OK, I will start looking for those.
If I want to acquire the items myself, since "really broke" means just slightly over 200k in my case
, where would my tamer take his dragon to get them?

And thanks again, for this great info

T

Trukx

Heart of the Lion can be gotten through killing any paragon monster or lvl 6 treasure chest.

Fey Leggings -- any of the named creatures in ML (including bosses) can drop them. Swoops are probably the most common.

Jackals/Leggings of Bane -- Doom. The more you kill the better your odds of getting something.

Stormgrip -- Have to buy from a player. Cant be obtained any more.

As for the helm piece -- Mace and Shield glasses are probably the most common and desired set (but they'll cost you probably 9-10mil). The have HLD, +Str, +dex and nice resists. The Spirit of the Totem is also really nice (great +str and HCI) and can be obtained from doom. Kasa of the Rajin is a Tok Martie like Stormgrip and cant be gotten, so must be purchased (has something like 83 resists I think).

Its a really solid template. As you learn its limitations you can begin to venture into the sampire arena.

G

If you are on atlantic, let me know and I can hook you up with a heart of the lion.

P

Prudentis

Thank you, but I'm on Drachenfels

I have checked a few items and at least in Luna, the prices for the pieces you told me, are ridiculous to say the least.
Ex.: fey leggings can seoll for 20k on some shards and I have seen them on Drach for 600k

G

The "elves only" fey leggings are cheaper than the human ones. Check which kind you are looking at. Non-labeled are more $.

I

imported_Desolation87

<blockquote><hr>

Stormgrip -- Have to buy from a player. Cant be obtained any more.

[/ QUOTE ]

Technically untrue if you can find yourself 10 minors...

Setnaffa

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've always considered a "tank" as a melee character that focuses on Defense over Offense. He takes the brunt of the enemy's attack, while his cohorts stand in the back casting spells and shooting arrows at the enemy. So, I'd go with this as the perfect tank:

120 Melee
120 Bushido
120 Parry
120 Resisting Spells
100 Healing
80 Anatomy
60 Chiv

Armed with:
A two-handed weapon with DCI 15% and HLA 50%
All 70's suit
DCI 70% (to combat HLD)
HP Regen at the cap (whatever it is now)
HP Increase at the cap (whatever it is now)
Mana Regen
4/6 FC/FCR

Stats:
150 Str (125 HP's + HP Increase stuff)
150 Dex
15 Int (30 mana)

I don't know if that's possible, but you'd be pretty much indestructible with that config. You would have a hard time killing anyone or thing, but you'd be almost impossible to kill.

T

Trukx

Point taken--however on GL doing it that way would cost you 3x as much to get them as opposed to buying them from a player.

P

Prudentis

You are right Setnaffa, the term "tank" originates from games that focus on the "holy trinity"* principle of gameplay and "taunting"* techniques.
Since UO doesn't use taunts but only proximity and damage to determine monster agro and on top of this doesn't force grouping (which I personally think is UO's strongest point) the term "tank" never had that exact meaning in UO as in EQ or WoW.
By "the perfect tank" I meant a fighter, who can go toe-to-toe with most monsters without having to rely on kiting. In UO you seem to be able to achieve that without sacrificing much of your damage potential. I think the build you posted is indeed more of a tank build than the one from trukx.
But aside from resist spells, the only other things are item based. So the same fighter, could be either quipped for damage or defense without losing most of the other stat.
Nowadays with soulstones, you can even swap Tactics for RS if you need it and use the other one in a different situation. I think I love this flexibility

Anyway, thanks for your suggestions. Given the time, i will try to test both builds. For now, it seems like the road there is a very long one

* - For those unfamiliar with those concepts (if such MMO players exist
) the "holy trinity" is a tank, a damage dealer and a healer. Taunting wepon moves are used by the tank to keep the monster focused on the tank despite the fact, that the damage done by the tank is much lower than the damage dealer's.

I

imported_Desolation87

Always keep your honor virtue high aswell. Even the best 'tanks' can get outnumbered!